Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You (9412 Views)

The Top 10 Contemporary African Writers You Should Know / The Stories We Don't Get To Hear / In Response To "Dear African Writers, We Read; We Don't Just Read You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nnachuka(m): 7:30am On Jul 07, 2016
Vibra:

God bless you for this..
Why will I get Americana for #2500 when I can get something from another author for less
And we talk about patronising our own??
I would pay a million naira for any work by Chimamanda, look the thing is value, it's like Samsung and Techno, follow that line of thought.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:30am On Jul 07, 2016
I don't usually reply to posts like this, but I have to reply to this one. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

African writers still think they have to make their books scare for people to know that people are buying their books before it's printed and shipped. At least, people think so. Go to any bookshop and tell them you want to buy a novel, which isn't on the prescribed Literature-in-English texts, and all you'll get is a negative answer.

Yet, I could still find books like Left Behind, which was actually printed in the United States.

I sent an email to the owner of OkadaBooks a few days ago and I got an instant reply. However, I couldn't see how my contributions has been utilized. Note: I don't think anyone should use my contribution; it's their choice and cup of tea, but I think the points I made is crucial.

A. Their category was cluttered with unnecessary, gibberish, vague labels. Imagine having a category in the name of an author. Who knows her?

B. Their reading environment was bad on the Desktop. Although I don't know the reading experience on Android devices, it was terrible on Desktop, compared to the likes of Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Smashwords.

C. Their attitude to the aforementioned issues was based on their profit. It's good to make profit, isn't it? grin (If na me nko?) But Amazon makes money without ignoring their readers who actually makes money for them.

Let me read my book on your webpage without distraction, una no gree. Let me download the book in whatever format, them still no gree.

I can't imagine what the reading culture in Nigeria would be in the next few years.

[size=20pt]Parents, if you're reading this, don't just cuddle on your sofa every morning reading Punch, Vanguard, and The Sun. For every one toy you buy, buy five books for your children. And create incentives when they finish it and write a book report e.g. more toys, which equals more books[/size]. grin

I rest my case. COUUUUUURRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by KingRex1(m): 7:34am On Jul 07, 2016
Ebooks should be the forward, but they (authors) won't get to sell nd sign autographs undecided
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Vendoor(f): 7:35am On Jul 07, 2016
Nnachuka:
care to explain your comment?

Again, dear African writer, we the readers
have evolved. You will not find us reading
anything that reads like a Nollywood movie
script; of tales of witches and wizards, of evil
powers in high places; of the wicked step
mother and the oppressed child. Leave those for our oral literature. We will always go back....

Hope you didn't skip that

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:37am On Jul 07, 2016
Nnachuka:
I would pay a million naira for any work by Chimamanda, look the thing is value, it's like Samsung and Techno, follow that line of thought.

Mr. Nnachuka, do you browse books on the Amazon Kindle? Do you know the highest amount ebooks costs over there normally? $9.99. Even at that, people won't still buy. A novel is meant to sell at $2.99 while a box set could go for $6.99. Now, if I change those amounts to naira (let's assume $1=N350), how much do you think I'd get a novel?

A novel would be N1050. Three novel (a boxset) would be N2100. And those price are because of the volatile and useless value of naira.

Thanks. I'd rather pay a foreign author than a local one, until they learn to price better and economically. Do they think we'll rush to bookshops because we want to use it for WASSCE? grin
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 07, 2016
StephanieLuv:
undecided I have read so many books but non actually tells you how to be rich like Dangote, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet

Actually there is.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by StephanieLuv(f): 7:38am On Jul 07, 2016
kinglee1:

Actually there is.

Kindly list them please wink
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 07, 2016
Vendoor:
They always come up with funny stories... Sometimes I wonder if they even think at all.

Check my signature jare cheesy

Am I really your love
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by bellville: 7:39am On Jul 07, 2016
Books by contemporary African writers are expensive. That is because most of them are printed here unlike religious/motivational books printed in China. We need to encourage them.

I sell contemporary African works as well as classics. Check my signature.

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:41am On Jul 07, 2016
kinglee1:

Actually there is.

If you think there is, you're on a long thing. Just like a book teaching you how to be happy. If you don't want to be happy, or just aren't happy at that moment, there's nothing the book can do to you.

If you don't have opportunities, and resources to leverage them, I'm pretty sure you can never be rich. Take my word for it.

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nnachuka(m): 7:41am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

Mr. Nnachuka, do you browse books on the Amazon Kindle? Do you know the highest amount ebooks costs over there normally? $9.99. Even at that, people won't still buy. A novel is meant to sell at $2.99 while a box set could go for $6.99. Now, if I change those amounts to naira (let's assume $1=N350), how much do you think I'd get a novel?

A novel would be N1050. Three novel (a boxset) would be N2100. And those price are because of the volatile and useless value of naira.

Thanks. I'd rather pay a foreign author than a local one, until they learn to price better and economically. Do they think we'll rush to bookshops because we want to use it for WASSCE? grin
it all boils down to something, value
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Vendoor(f): 7:42am On Jul 07, 2016
kinglee1:

Am I really your love

grin
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:42am On Jul 07, 2016
bellville:
Books by contemporary African writers are expensive. That is because most of them are printed here unlike religious/motivational books printed in China. We need to encourage them.

Yes, we'd love to. But imagine me buying a N2500 novel just because I want to support African authors. Do you know how many fresh tomatoes that would buy? grin

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 07, 2016
StephanieLuv:

Kindly list them please wink

Eric Thomas' Secret to Success..... I said there is not there are cheesy
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by AfroKnight: 7:43am On Jul 07, 2016
My sentiments exactly.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

If you think there is, you're on a long thing. Just like a book teaching you how to be happy. If you don't want to be happy, or just aren't happy at that moment, there's nothing the book can do to you.

If you don't have opportunities, and resources to leverage them, I'm pretty sure you can never be rich. Take my word for it.

Bruh, a motivational speaker said "If you want success as bad as you want to breath then there is no way you won't be successful"

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 07, 2016
Vendoor:

grin

So you dey whine me abi cheesy. Btw you are beautiful (if that's your picture).
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:48am On Jul 07, 2016
Nnachuka:
it all boils down to something, value

Garri has value, we know, and millions survive on it daily. Now, imagine those garri sellers inflating the price 200%. Maybe we would start importing garri then, because it would be cheaper.

See, let me tell you, those authors don't care what happens with publishers or what they do with their books. They want advance and royalties to appear at their doorstep while they continue to write.

Tell me, why couldn't the Big 6 publishers in United States create an ebook platform long ago? Why are they still opposed to it? Who couldn't they create their own platform, withdraw every author's books from other platforms, and sell relatively low?

One sentence: THEY DON'T CARE!

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nnachuka(m): 7:49am On Jul 07, 2016
Vendoor:

Again, dear African writer, we the readers
have evolved. You will not find us reading
anything that reads like a Nollywood movie
script; of tales of witches and wizards, of evil
powers in high places; of the wicked step
mother and the oppressed child. Leave those for our oral literature. We will always go back....

Hope you didn't skip that
it depends on the kind of writer, ACW and the AWS do not do "nollywood", maybe lazy ones might but not the ACW they do not, trust me that their works are different, and you would rather read a foreign novel for cheap, look it's a sellout by us in doing something like that, Americans buy their novels for a very high price,but different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Onegai(f): 7:50am On Jul 07, 2016
So true it's painful. You will never see publishers like Cassava Republic make a push towards making their books available to all and sundry. Reading African writers has been made into an elitist performance: attending a book fair with the same upwardly mobile crowd and shelling out money for a book that should cost max N1000

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nnachuka(m): 7:50am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

Garri has value, we know, and millions survive on it daily. Now, imagine those garri sellers inflating the price 200%. Maybe we would start importing garri then, because it would be cheaper.

See, let me tell you, those authors don't care what happens with publishers or what they do with their books. They want advance and royalties to appear at their doorstep while they continue to write.

Tell me, why couldn't the Big 6 publishers in United States create an ebook platform long ago? Why are they still opposed to it? Who couldn't they create their own platform, withdraw every author's books from other platforms, and sell relatively low?

One sentence: THEY DON'T CARE!
how much do the archie series cost?
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:51am On Jul 07, 2016
kinglee1:

Bruh, a motivational speaker said "If you want success as bad as you want to breath then there is no way you won't be successful"

That's motivation for you, bro. It attempts to fry your brain like zombies and wailers tell themselves. grin No realism.

Now, tell me, you wanted to go to America badly this year, but you haven't gotten a passport, visa, and you don't even have money to get those things. How could that be possible?

I'm still telling you, if you like have the best motivation in the world, even one that could make you attempt at breathing fire out of your mouth, if you don't have opportunities to prove yourself, you cannot be rich. Except, of course, your father is Dangote.

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by StephanieLuv(f): 7:52am On Jul 07, 2016
kinglee1:

Eric Thomas' Secret to Success..... I said there is not there are cheesy

One question, Eric Thomas what's his net worth.

You can not offer what you don't have, if the dude ain't a billionaire so how the hell will he make me one by reading his book.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by bellville: 7:55am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

Yes, we'd love to. But imagine me buying a N2500 novel just because I want to support African authors. Do you know how many fresh tomatoes that would buy? grin
I quite understand your point. However if we all encourage them by buying, they can also mass produce from China. This will bring down the cost.

Check my signature for Night Dancer by Chika Unigwe, Season of Crimson blossoms by Abubakar Adam Ibrahim; Oil on Water by Helon Habila. You'll love them.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:55am On Jul 07, 2016
Nnachuka:
how much do the archie series cost?

I don't care. It's not like it's available in my place, anyway.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

That's motivation for you, bro. It attempts to fry your brain like zombies and wailers tell themselves. grin No realism.

Now, tell me, you wanted to go to America badly this year, but you haven't gotten a passport, visa, and you don't even have money to get those things. How could that be possible?

I'm still telling you, if you like have the best motivation in the world, even one that could make you attempt at breathing fire out of your mouth, if you don't have opportunities to prove yourself, you cannot be rich. Except, of course, your father is Dangote.

I get your point my bruh, if there is no opportunity then there is no way but if we don't read n listen to motivational speeches then how are we supposed to know that opportunity is golden. The ability to grab opportunity when it comes is also not a normal thing bruh.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Onegai(f): 7:57am On Jul 07, 2016
bellville:

I sell contemporary African works as well as classics. Check my signature.

Guy, organise a sale. State that anyone who comes to your website and quotes the code "NAIRALAND" will get a 15% discount (and for Pete's sake don't jack up the price so that the discounted price ends up the original price). I assure you will move volumes and that eill make back whatever losses you have incurred plus get you new customers.

Nigerians don't know the fundamentals of Business. They keep expecting their margins to increase without giving back. Those that do sales abroad have realised that people BUY MORE when there is a sale.

I'm looking for books for my 1 year old and my nephew's and myself. You think I won't patronize you if you offer me a discount? But I beg you in the name of Jesus, don't quickly make the price N4500 then put the discount on top of it, so the sale price is the same as the original cost price. Don't be a "smart" Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Abra4real(m): 7:59am On Jul 07, 2016
kinglee1:

I get your point my bruh, if there is no opportunity then there is no way but if we don't read n listen to motivational speeches then how are we supposed to know that opportunity is golden. The ability to grab opportunity when it comes is also not a normal thing bruh.

You're talking about dullards, eh? When I'm hungry and food lands on the dinning table, I'm the first to munch, even before the prayer ends. grin Only a dullard will see a golden opportunity and let it go. Talking from experience.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 07, 2016
StephanieLuv:

One question, Eric Thomas what's his net worth.

You can not offer what you don't have, if the dude ain't a billionaire so how the hell will he make me one by reading his book.

I stand against the school of taught that you can't give what you don't have. Even if he is a billionaire, what worked for him might not work you and also if is a poor man, that thing that didn't work for him might work for you.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

You're talking about dullards, eh? When I'm hungry and food lands on the dinning table, I'm the first to munch, even before the prayer ends. grin Only a dullard will see a golden opportunity and let it go. Talking from experience.

Lol believe me you, not only dullards let go of golden opportunities. I am pretty sure you yourself have missed one or two opportunities in life.
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by Nnachuka(m): 8:05am On Jul 07, 2016
Abra4real:

I don't care. It's not like it's available in my place, anyway.
so then I ask you what the basis of your argument has been?
Re: Dear Contemporary African Writer, We Read; We Don't Just Read You by bellville: 8:06am On Jul 07, 2016
Thanks. I get those books (contemporary fiction) directly from the publishers, hence I'm selling at publisher's price. No mark up at all cos I have a commission arrangement with the publishers.

As for other books, I'm offering huge discounts to Nairalanders. Just indicate that you're from Nairaland when placing your order. I also offer free shipping/delivery to your doorsteps anywhere in Nigeria depending on the number of books you're buying.

A trial will definitely convince you.
Onegai:

Guy, organise a sale. State that anyone who comes to your website and quotes the code "NAIRALAND" will get a 15% discount (and for Pete's sake don't jack up the price so that the discounted price ends up the original price). I assure you will move volumes and that eill make back whatever losses you have incurred plus get you new customers.

Nigerians don't know the fundamentals of Business. They keep expecting their margins to increase without giving back. Those that do sales abroad have realised that people BUY MORE when there is a sale.

I'm looking for books for my 1 year old and my nephew's and myself. You think I won't patronize you if you offer me a discount? But I beg you in the name of Jesus, don't quickly make the price N4500 then put the discount on top of it, so the sale price is the same as the original cost price. Don't be a "smart" Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Stories Of July / The Last Duty By Isidore Okpewho / Chimamanda Adichie Wins 2019 Everett M. Rogers Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.