Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria (3766 Views)

British High Commisioner To Nigeria Submits Letter Of Credence To Buhari..photos / Ghana-nigeria Trade War Must End- Ghana’s High Commissioner To Nigeria / Pls Let's Share This Till It Gets To Fashola And The Lagos Police Commisioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by shesi(m): 8:21am On Sep 09, 2009
Below is a letter from the Ghana High Commission in Nigeria to a Nigerian newspaper, appealing to Nigerian government officials to refrain from spreading falsehood about Ghana.

SIR: I am compelled to write to express serious concern about a couple of statements by some top Nigerian officials about Ghana in recent weeks. Last month, Defence Minister Godwin Abbe was quoted as saying, "the volume of water generated in Ghana is not enough to flush toilets in Lagos State, the number of teachers you have to pay salaries in the whole of Ghana is not more than Western Nigeria so that is that. And the whole of Ghanaian Armed Forces, if you choose to know, is not more than just two brigades of the Nigerian Armed Forces, period."
Only last weekend, Education Minister Sam Egwu was on national radio talking about the ongoing ASUU strike, and he made the most ridiculous assertion that all the university lecturers in Ghana will not be adequate for a single university in Nigeria! This is a blatant falsehood. Anyone who had been to the University of Ghana Legon (with a student population of more than 40,000), can testify to the fact that probably no university in Nigeria has more space and facilities than Legon. And there are at least five more public universities in Ghana. There are also a dozen privately-owned universities in Ghana, offering quality education to Ghanaians and foreigners alike, including a growing number of Nigerians.

And in the case of the defence minister, we do not know where he got his information from regarding the current strength of the Ghana armed forces. Needless to say that the Ghanaian military is one of the best trained on the continent and had performed exceptionally well in various international assignments. The entire first generation of Nigerian military officers, including Generals Olusegun Obasanjo, Hassan Katsina and Adebayo were all trained in Ghana. Ghanaian army generals have commanded UN troops in Lebanon, Liberia, Rwanda, Darfur, etc over the years.

Information Minister Dora Akunyili also told a local television network at the end of August that the whole of Ghana is not even up to the size of Lagos! Even a child in kindergarten knows that to be untrue. Government officials, unlike private citizens, traditionally tend to be circumspect about what they say about other countries. Ghana is smaller than Nigeria, and I reckon everyone knows that as a fact. And it is certainly not the only country in the world that is smaller than Nigeria. Or is it? Or have Nigerian government officials only suddenly realised how 'small' Ghana is?

Our concern really is that such reckless and unguarded comments could have grave implications for bilateral relations and derail efforts by leaders of the two countries to forge strong bilateral ties. We think President Umaru Yar'Adua should call his ministers to order. The Ghana bashing must stop! Ghana is a well-respected member of the international community, and deserves respect from Nigerians, particularly top government officials.

Nana Yaw Aboagye, Ghana High Commission

what the high commisoner should have asked is why a so-called Giant like Nigeria feels the need to compare itself to 'small' Ghana.

also they may want to know that ghana is geographically about 1/6 the size of Nigeria, and Population wise about 1/6 -1/7. SO the ratio of resources to population should be pretty much the same right? Wrong! actually nigeria has a higher resources to population ration due to oil wealth.

So the excuse that Ghana is a small country and thus why we are able to do certain things Nigeria is failing at is complete nonsense.

either your leaders are uneducated enough to genuinely believe this (not likely) or this is just another clever excuse to pacify the nigerian people into silence while they line their pockets with your money.

is it working?
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by naso2(m): 8:34am On Sep 09, 2009
It is painful that our highly respected Dora has fully been initiated into this assemblage of lesser doers in government.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by izeek(m): 8:38am On Sep 09, 2009
its plain jealousy that Ghana has achieved what has been impossible for Nigerians to achieve over the years.
and as much as it pains me to admit it, its the truth.
we have to stop tongue lashing and criticizing Ghana, but rather encourage them to sustain this giant steps they have taken,
while we work on how to make us better and more productive.
one thing that is for sure is that, with the resources we possess, both natural and human, we would in no time surpass even other already developed countries if we get half our act right.

and to Ghanian's, as much as i congratulate you, i think its wise you know that to sustain wealth is more difficult than making it.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by izeek(m): 8:39am On Sep 09, 2009
na_so:

It is painful that our highly respected Dora has fully been initiated into this assemblage of lesser doers in government.

u cant play around mediocrity, and not be a mediocre
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 9:17am On Sep 09, 2009
@@@@@

grin grin grin
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by debetmx(m): 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2009
Nigerians Government Officials are clearly deluding themselves, Comparing Nigeria to Ghana. They better see a psychiatrist
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 09, 2009
Ghana is complaining of Nigeria bashing them?

That's strange since its usually the other way round- with both Ghanaians and Nigerians bashing Nigeria.

does he have any evidence of these allegations.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by 9ijaprince(m): 6:15pm On Sep 09, 2009
How things change. Remember those days when lots of Ghanians are doing menial jobs in nigeria like shoe shinning etc
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Gbawe: 6:50pm On Sep 09, 2009
shesi:

either your leaders are uneducated enough to genuinely believe this (not likely) or this is just another clever excuse to pacify the nigerian people into silence while they line their pockets with your money.
is it working?

You have cleverly worked out the style of the inept and illegitimate leaders of Nigeria. Most decent Nigerians should be proud of Ghana's achievements . I will urge good Ghanaians not to pay any attention to the utterances of these inept leaders. To admit that Ghana is doing well is to confess to their own glaring ineptitude and illegitimacy that is ruining Nigeria. All the disparaging comments about Ghana were made by leaders appointed by Yar Adua. Since the whole world knows that our President is illegitimate ,inept and undeserving of his position it would be silly to actually expect many of those he appoints to have commonsense, drive, vision and humility. They are all in their position to continue the attempt to decieve the World into thinking that the present Government is 'battling' hard to improve Nigeria while the truth remains that they are all busy lining their pockets as you surmise.

The PDP is a party of uncouth thugs. They are in Power currently so kindly disregard the utterances of its members rather than see it as the position of all Nigerians.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by sjeezy8: 6:53pm On Sep 09, 2009
tpia.:

That's strange since its usually the other way round- with both Ghanaians and Nigerians bashing Nigeria.

Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2009
I think the question shd have been, how come all of a sudden, Ghana has now become a threat to the "sleeping giant"
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Beaf: 6:55pm On Sep 09, 2009
If a diplomat wrote that, he should be hurled out of the country. This is a time for weeping.
. . .Imagine small Ghana!
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Beaf: 6:59pm On Sep 09, 2009
Source!
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by CrudeOil2(m): 7:04pm On Sep 09, 2009
I dont seem to understand the reason for the juxtaposition of these two west african countries of recent by their citizens. Its basically uncalled for and stupid, especially on the part of Yar'Aduas lazy ministers. The comment from Dora Akunyili is useless and unlogical, how can a professor say such a foolish thing?
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Beaf: 7:08pm On Sep 09, 2009
It is wrong that a diplomat stooped low enough to spill out to a newspaper. Aren't there diplomatic channels open for this sort of complaint?

Things we need to be careful about.
1. The rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana should not become a new tool for divide and rule.
2. Nigeria must shape up fast! Or keep facing disgrace.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Gbawe: 7:16pm On Sep 09, 2009
Beaf:

1. The rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana should not become a new tool for divide and rule.
2. Nigeria must shape up fast! Or keep facing disgrace.

You are right on both counts.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by IFELEKE(m): 7:21pm On Sep 09, 2009
Topic,
good riddance to bad rubbish
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by larez(m): 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2009
All I have to say is that I apologize to my Ghanaian Brothers and Sisters, and hope they bear with us as we try to transform our society from one ruled by many miscreants into a model society such as Ghana. We, the average Nigerians though may love whooping your butts in football, still love and respect you as an extension of ourselves in Brotherhood.

1 Like

Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by olabukola: 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
This is a clear case of "we(Nigerians) are down and we are trying to drag Mighty Ghana along". Shame to all those Govt Officials that made such statement. Even if Ghana is 10% of Nigeria at least they are taking care of their people to some extent with the little they have. We that have all what did we achieve with it? Nothing!!! tongue.

Shame Shame Shame to Nigeria Govt and Nigerians. Very soon they will start comparing Nigeria with Somalia when its obvious that Ghana is no longer on the same level with us. Shame Shame Shame again to we all.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Beaf: 10:18pm On Sep 09, 2009
The truth is, e be like say dem don dey shun 9ja for diplomatic circles in favour of Ghana; resulting in immense bad bele.

. . .The death of a sleeping giant. sad
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Nchara: 10:22pm On Sep 09, 2009
Nigeria is finished.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Bennyboy11: 10:42pm On Sep 09, 2009
larez:

All I have to say is that I apologize to my Ghanaian Brothers and Sisters, and hope they bear with us as we try to transform our society from one ruled by many miscreants into a model society such as Ghana. We, the average Nigerians though may love whooping your butts in football, still love and respect you as an extension of ourselves in Brotherhood.

Majority of Ghanaians appreciate the fact that these are not the views of average Nigerians and I am a little surprised that the Ghana high commission in Nigeria found it necessary to comment. I think this sort of banter has existed between the two countries for a long time and I consider it largely rivalry of a healthy nature quite frankly.

As a Ghanaian I am assured that Nigeria will rise again especially when I read well thought through, objectives posts of this nature and the general feeling of discontent i believe will soon force change.

You are however a very brave person for attempting to talk about football. I think butt whooping has been very one sided lately and we all know who's been doing the whooping. lol
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Beaf: 10:45pm On Sep 09, 2009
^Look at this clown talking soccer angry
In fact I'm going to find enough Ghanian babes with yansh like banku to "punish" severely throughout next week. grin
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
larez:

On behalf of my fellow Ghanaians, I thank you.

And accept your unreserved apology.

I know the average Nigerian is a good fellow like you and would never badmouth Ghana.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by shesi(m): 11:10pm On Sep 09, 2009
to those asking for source, i read it from the website of Joy Fm, one of ghana's leading news stations.

@bennyboy - i think the high commision is right to comment. Such comments between citizens of the two nations may have existed for a long time, but this is the first time i have personally heard Nigerian government officials (high ranking ones at that) making such statements. So the response from the Ghanaian High commision there is perfectly legimitate.

Didn't the Nigerian high commisioner come out to speak up against anti nigerian sentiments on ghanaian radio stations (as he put it)?

have you ever heard such anti nigerian sentiments from ghanaian government officials? normally government officials are very tactful with their comments regarding other countries.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by larez(m): 11:23pm On Sep 09, 2009
tpia.:

On behalf of my fellow Ghanaians, I thank you.

And accept your unreserved apology.

I know the average Nigerian is a good fellow like you and would never badmouth Ghana.

Lol@Tpia, Are you serious? Noooo, I don't believe you are Ghanaian with your Igbo fans always at each other? Tell me you're kidding.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Dondoo: 4:35am On Sep 10, 2009
What a disgrace to Nigeria by this Ministers. For them to take talking points on this forum and put it out for public consumption clearly demonstrates that our ministers are little minded, incapable of original thought. Most of the garbage the ministers were accused of bashing Ghana with has existed on the Internet  for a long Time. No amount of Ghana bashing can change the fact that Nigeria is slowly becoming a failed state. Please leave Ghana alone.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 10, 2009
Im ashamed at Dora for those foolish comments. She talks too much. Stupid lady. Information Minister my yansh
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by elchux: 11:21am On Sep 10, 2009
when you have fools and quasi-fools who can't remove the log in their eyes , can't practically solve their country's problem, only busy themselves with trival issues that's what u have. sometimes i wish i have the power to change this almost dead country of ours.
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by emyah(m): 11:45am On Sep 10, 2009
Shem on you Nigeria to compare yourself with Ghana, see how far you decrees
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by PROJECT: 11:50am On Sep 10, 2009
some nigerians are so foolish ,whats our business with what they are saying , the commissioner should tell his radio stations and newspaper companies to stop lashing out at nigerians , now we talk they are saying rubbish , i have heard politicians in ghana say worst things about nigeria , so if we talk so what ,is tat even the appropriate quater to air such view,they are simply paranoid cos we never give them the oil we promise them,na waoooh
Re: Stop The Ghana Bashing -ghana's High Commisioner To Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2009
PROJECT:

some nigerians are so foolish ,whats our business with what they are saying , the commissioner should tell his radio stations and newspaper companies to stop lashing out at nigerians , now we talk they are saying rubbish , i have heard politicians in ghana say worst things about nigeria , so if we talk so what ,is tat even the appropriate quater to air such view,they are simply paranoid cos we never give them the oil we promise them,na waoooh

You got it right, there are channels tru which such issues are discussed, certainly not the media. Nana Yaw Aboagye is simply fooling himself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ekiti Under Fire Over Kunle's Assassination / Buharism: Economic Theory And Political Economy - By Sls / Top 10 Best Hits: From Our First Lady "her Excellency Dame Patience Jonathan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.