Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD (49921 Views)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p / Did You Graduate With A Pass Or Third Class? Here's A Word Of Advice For You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by timawoku(m): 8:47am On Jul 08, 2016
3rd class is still far better especially if na correct university you go.(Like OAU, UNILORIN) HND bawo?

4 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by naxyrick: 8:47am On Jul 08, 2016
d
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by SirAlfred(m): 8:47am On Jul 08, 2016
At the government establishment BSc 3rd class is superior to HND. You can't head a department or ministry with HND, but with BSc 3rd class you can head departments or ministries. It's there in the public service gazette.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by chubbygal(f): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2016
What is all this?

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 08, 2016
Hmmm during our fathers days 3rd class na hot cake... But not now
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by GoldenJAT(m): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2016
Somethings ain't just comparable!
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by dumininu01(m): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2016
Prayer is the key.... Only God knows where u will end up...
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by iriferi(m): 8:49am On Jul 08, 2016
When you decide to work or live abroad that's when you will see the relevance of Bsc.
Not saying Hnd isn't good either. You can compare both in Nigeria, but once you decide to try outside (eg US, UK, Canada or Australia) you'll recognise the difference.

But 3rd class sha.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by babs01(m): 8:50am On Jul 08, 2016
who dem epp
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Larryfest(m): 8:51am On Jul 08, 2016
The two might probably be the same in the eye of the employer considering the way they are both treated but for me i think the HND with a good grade is far better than the 3rd class degree....

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by just4kelvin(m): 8:53am On Jul 08, 2016
You the youth are the people spoiling this country with your bad thought.

Think well PPLE
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by ogawisdom(m): 8:53am On Jul 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Most probably, contrary to your belief, this is no fight between HND and Degree, we are just here to check and balance. Having an HND and having a Third Class BSC Degree, which one is better concerning regards for each in the employment market.

First of all, Definition of Terms for some of us who might not be so sure of what HND and Third Class BSC are :

HND Holder is one who has completed a course program at a Polytechnic in Nigeria. The certificate awarded upon completion of the program is the Higher National Diploma (HND).

BSc Holder is one who has completed an undergraduate program at a University in Nigeria. The degree awarded upon completion of the program is a Bachelor Degree (BSc).

Now, my own opinion :
Since time past the HND has always being considered inferior to the BSc. This, at least, was the idea inculcated in us by the colonial masters and this mentality is what many of us still hold onto today, which is not supposed to be.

It is also important that we know that the university is an internationally recognized higher institution of learning all around the world. As such, a third class BSc holder may sometimes have the opportunity of furthering their studies in a way that the HND holder cannot because a BSc is recognized everywhere while same cannot be said for the HND. Besides, we look down on the HND ourselves in Nigeria, why then would international bodies regard it any more than we do.

Many employers today may not even include HND as one of the qualifications required for job vacancy positions. In light of this, HND holders may sometimes get automatically disqualified before even getting a chance at interview.

Another key point is, an HND holder may secure a good job real quick compared to a third class BSc holder, but the effect of this is that in the long run, a HND holder who fails to upgrade his certificate to a BSc may find himself bowing to that third class BSc holder (who has now added to his qualifications) whom he had left behind all those years ago.

Well, not to sound bias :

Over the years, Polytechnic graduates have proven themselves to be in no way inferior to their counterparts in the university.

Today, a polytechnic student can stand shoulder to shoulder with an undergraduate in the university and even surpass him/her. Besides, Polytechnics have being known to conduct more research and practical works than the university. This prepares the students adequately for what is needed to face the outside world.

In conclusion, it would be wrong of me to declare a third class degree as better than the HND.

So here we are, what's your view.

Graduating with an HND or a Third Class BSC Degree - Which is better?

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/hnd-holder-vs-third-class-degree-bsc-holder/

They seem close on paper ie if d HND is distinction n d degree third class or pass though both r useless angry but if employed d third class degree man even if he has pass is rated higher.

HND is mainly for ppl who could not pass WAEC and JAMB Ndi itiboribo, nobody ever goes to polytechnic willingly sad na condition.

U dnt compare a diploma to a degree, degree employees r considered senior staff frm day one but HND junior staff. Most of D lecturers of HND students r first degree holders grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by dahmie2013: 8:54am On Jul 08, 2016
Y are u even comparing d two? U even went as far as 3rd class, what's d meaning of dis?
What are u insinuating? In d labour mkt dey'll put HND/B.Sc. Pls stop creating issues where dere are none.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Okijajuju1(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Most probably, contrary to your belief, this is no fight between HND and Degree, we are just here to check and balance. Having an HND and having a Third Class BSC Degree, which one is better concerning regards for each in the employment market.

First of all, Definition of Terms for some of us who might not be so sure of what HND and Third Class BSC are :

HND Holder is one who has completed a course program at a Polytechnic in Nigeria. The certificate awarded upon completion of the program is the Higher National Diploma (HND).

BSc Holder is one who has completed an undergraduate program at a University in Nigeria. The degree awarded upon completion of the program is a Bachelor Degree (BSc).

Now, my own opinion :
Since time past the HND has always being considered inferior to the BSc. This, at least, was the idea inculcated in us by the colonial masters and this mentality is what many of us still hold onto today, which is not supposed to be.

It is also important that we know that the university is an internationally recognized higher institution of learning all around the world. As such, a third class BSc holder may sometimes have the opportunity of furthering their studies in a way that the HND holder cannot because a BSc is recognized everywhere while same cannot be said for the HND. Besides, we look down on the HND ourselves in Nigeria, why then would international bodies regard it any more than we do.

Many employers today may not even include HND as one of the qualifications required for job vacancy positions. In light of this, HND holders may sometimes get automatically disqualified before even getting a chance at interview.

Another key point is, an HND holder may secure a good job real quick compared to a third class BSc holder, but the effect of this is that in the long run, a HND holder who fails to upgrade his certificate to a BSc may find himself bowing to that third class BSc holder (who has now added to his qualifications) whom he had left behind all those years ago.

Well, not to sound bias :

Over the years, Polytechnic graduates have proven themselves to be in no way inferior to their counterparts in the university.

Today, a polytechnic student can stand shoulder to shoulder with an undergraduate in the university and even surpass him/her. Besides, Polytechnics have being known to conduct more research and practical works than the university. This prepares the students adequately for what is needed to face the outside world.

In conclusion, it would be wrong of me to declare a third class degree as better than the HND.

So here we are, what's your view.

Graduating with an HND or a Third Class BSC Degree - Which is better?

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/hnd-holder-vs-third-class-degree-bsc-holder/

OP..

You can't compare apples and oranges..

A Bachelor of Science Degree is not the same degree as a 'Diploma'..

I wouldn't want to say one is higher than the other, more like they are both designed to take care of two different things.

Start from their curriculum.

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Fynestboi: 8:58am On Jul 08, 2016
Okijajuju1:

OP..

You can't compare apples and oranges..

A Bachelor of Science Degree is not the same degree as a 'Diploma'..

I wouldn't want to say one is higher than the other, more like they are both designed to take care of two different things.

Start from their curriculum.

Hmmmmmm cool
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by EdoBoy90(m): 8:58am On Jul 08, 2016
General Electric is only employing Bachelor's degree holders whether third class, 2:1,2:2 and first class are eligible to apply
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
I don't think there's a general rule for this because it has to do with individual differences

Though, I can't speak for others but I can at least speak for myself.. I have HND in view and to the glory of God, anywhere I go to, my performance has always been proving people wrong with the negative perception they normally have for polytechnic students

So, a university graduate can be better than polytechnic graduate and vice versa

SPOT ON!!!
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by bozy4real: 9:00am On Jul 08, 2016
Those in the university is just an opportunity to be thereis now as if those in tthe polytechnic at more brilliant.
Most polytechnic student that went back to university through direct entery are doing far far better than those the meet. His not my choice or our choice to go to polytechnic but when that was our best bet rather than wasting out time and been useless to our their nation n the world at large .
Am proud to be an HND holder if u have any problem with that go n join BH cheese,........,.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by queencalipso(f): 9:01am On Jul 08, 2016
EdoBoy90:
General Electric is only employing Bachelor's degree holders whether third class, 2:1,2:2 and first class are eligible to apply

How does this answer the question op asked undecided
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by queencalipso(f): 9:03am On Jul 08, 2016
bozy4real:
Those in the university is just an opportunity to be thereis now as if those in tthe polytechnic at more brilliant.
Most polytechnic student that went back to university through direct entery are doing far far better than those the meet. His not my choice or our choice to go to polytechnic but when that was our best bet rather than wasting out time and been useless to our their nation n the world at large .
Am proud to be an HND holder if u have any problem with that go n join BH cheese,........,.

Pls go through your post and correct some of your spellings.

No offence kiss
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 9:04am On Jul 08, 2016
Fairgodwin:
I guess it all depends on the class of the HND (degree). If the HND is a distinction, then I will agree it is far better and more considerable/commendable than a BSc in the 3rd class category. But if it is lower credit HND (or even an upper credit at times) then I'll completely tell you the BSc 3rd class is more considerable/preferable to the HND.

Of course a distinction in HND is [supposed to be] better than a 3rd class BSc degree, but in any case, the average Nigerian person might not see it in that light.

My humble opinion, though.

PS there's a huge difference between 'being' and 'been' sir. The write up is very nice I must confess, but you used 'being' where you were supposed to use 'been.' I'm sorry I couldn't overlook it, because it always troubles me to see such mistakes.
Sir, your myopic perception does not in anyway hold water... Haven't you seen SSCE holders that are even better than some university graduates?

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Fynestboi: 9:05am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
I don't think there's a general rule that a university student will definitely be better than a polytechnic graduate. I think it has to do with individual differences

Though, I can't speak for others but I can at least speak for myself.. I have HND in view and to the glory of God, I have had the priviledge to do things together and my performance has always been keeping them doubting the negative perception they normally have for polytechnic students.

Both university and polytechnic students can be half-baked. So, a university graduate can be better than polytechnic graduate and vice versa

My 2cent cool

Nice. cool

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Chidimba: 9:05am On Jul 08, 2016
Both of them should go back to school and upgrade

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by MrSmith007: 9:09am On Jul 08, 2016
A distinction in HND is comparable to a 2.1 from any university.

Op is definitely a 3rd class graduate seeking solace

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by willace(m): 9:11am On Jul 08, 2016
F*ck certificate. Connection is all that matters in this country.

An SSCE holder with connection can become the a manager in NNPC.
A P.HD holder with no connection will be the driver to The SSCE holder.

What a waste. Sometimes i wonder why we even go to school these days apart from learning how to read and write
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Tobium1(m): 9:11am On Jul 08, 2016
Polytechnics have being known to conduct more research and practical works than the university. This prepares the students adequately for what is needed to face the outside world.

What they use to console themselves. Oh puuleeeeezzz!!

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Fynestboi: 9:13am On Jul 08, 2016
MrSmith007:
A distinction in HND is comparable to a 2.1 from any university.

Op is definitely a 3rd class graduate seeking solace

shocked grin grin grin
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by FRANKOXY(m): 9:16am On Jul 08, 2016
the best is the one that knows what he/she read

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Godfullsam(m): 9:16am On Jul 08, 2016
EduRegard:
Having a third class degree doesnt necessarily mean one isn't brilliant.

Then what does it mean? Does it means that one is brillian?
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by harrysjones(m): 9:17am On Jul 08, 2016
i dear hw u doing
Vendoor:
HND
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Krismart(m): 9:18am On Jul 08, 2016
I graduated with third class not cos I am not brilliant but for some problems I had in school. I never bothered looking for work, don't even have a CV. I started my own business and today by the grace of God I am a big boy. So its not about what is written on a paper but what u can offer

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Osunnyt(m): 9:18am On Jul 08, 2016
Well it depends.But sometimes result doesn't show the true reflection of a person's intellect. What is killing Nigeria is certificate and that's why some Nigerians will go extra mile to get a certificate without acquiring any knowledge since that is what the public want to see.I'm a HND holder and I'm proud of it.But the fact is degree is better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Officers Declared Wanted For Insulting Ibrahim Idris Police IG In Public. Photos / BAT Nigeria Salary Scale: Salary Of British American Tobacco PLC Of Nigeria / 7 Least Stressful Jobs That Pay A Lot Of Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.