Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD (49909 Views)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p / Did You Graduate With A Pass Or Third Class? Here's A Word Of Advice For You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by titosblink: 9:19am On Jul 08, 2016
heyy, dis ur question is too funny, cos i guess u should kw by now dat tins has changed, most companies now are more clarified with d fact dat they need a graduate who is employable. Weda u gradauted with Bsc or hnd its just for u to defends ur Certificate.. If u do listen to news u will c dat 99 percent of d employers demands for both BSc and HND...
in addition to the above, HND has levels also.. (distiction, upper, and lower).. but due to the 4 credit load for HND and 5credit load for Bsc as maximum, d distiction is equalled to dat of second class upper, and lower is equalled to second class lower.. So pls i wan to let u kw dat dis ur topic seems to discriminative... As no body can compare a BSc 3rd graudate to even a HND upper graduate or a distinction graduate.. Tnx...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by verisimilitude(m): 9:20am On Jul 08, 2016
The issue here is not all about having Hnd or third class Bsc degree but ur capacity nd how multifunctional u are
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 08, 2016
Comparing HND holder (Distinction) wit BSc (3rd class) is lyk giving HOPE 2 d hopeless....10ks 4 dat. Perhaps, OP is a victim of...........( Fill in). Meanwhile, d RACE is not 4 d SWIFT. God holds our future. Well, I would relate dat 2 Poverty coz few wealthy undergraduates ar mindful of G.P. Regardless of what u hold,Being a graduate is enof a testimony!
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by LaExpert: 9:20am On Jul 08, 2016
bozy4real:
Those in the university is just an opportunity to be thereis now as if those in tthe polytechnic at more brilliant.
Most polytechnic student that went back to university through direct entery are doing far far better than those the meet. His not my choice or our choice to go to polytechnic but when that was our best bet rather than wasting out time and been useless to our their nation n the world at large .
Am proud to be an HND holder if u have any problem with that go n join BH cheese,........,.

Kindly modify your post.

You're part of the reasons HND is less esteemed.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Fmaniac(m): 9:23am On Jul 08, 2016
In d first place instead of comparing d truth BTW HND n Bsc, U intentionally look down on HND by comparing it with a third class Bsc.to me dats an insult.it is like saying lets compare ur first born who is 30yrs n our fourth born who is 23yrs.....our mentality is still poor.we still need mental emancipation in dis country...HND holder is a graduate wit NYSC cert as well,Nigeria is still in non-existence until she washes her brain

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Chicent(m): 9:27am On Jul 08, 2016
HND is better....
An HND holder is highly pratically inclined student.
A third class holder is just below average student.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Engineermbugame(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
I don't think there's a general rule that a university student will definitely be better than a polytechnic graduate. I think it has to do with individual differences and perhaps
, how you're able to develop and equip yourself

Though, I can't speak for others but I can at least speak for myself.. I have HND in view and to the glory of God, I can confidently compete with any university student (area of specialization apart) without being sidelined. I have had the opportunity to do certain things with many university students and my influence is greatly being felt that it keeps them misconception they have for polytechnic students.

Both university and polytechnic students can both be half-baked, they can both be dumb heads, they can both be unproductive and unemployable in the labour market, they can both goof when put to test, they can both be grammatically deficient.

So, in a nutshell, a university graduate can be better than polytechnic graduate and vice versa

My 2cent cool
hehehe,boss ur on point.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 08, 2016
Fmaniac:
In d first place instead of comparing d truth BTW HND n Bsc, U intentionally look down on HND by comparing it with a third class Bsc.to me dats an insult.it is like saying lets compare ur first born who is 30yrs n our fourth born who is 23yrs.....our mentality is still poor.we still need mental emancipation in dis country...HND holder is a graduate wit NYSC cert as well,Nigeria is still in non-existence until she washes her brain
Don't mind him jare! Only d jobless do, employers do not criticize dat much.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by doghorp(m): 9:30am On Jul 08, 2016
I have HND Mechanical Engineering upper credit and I have gotten two job both in d oil and food and beverage company and my friend with 3rd Class never even get one job aptitude test not even talking of interview. But it better for u to upgrade right now I am doing now my B ENG in an open University in Cameroon so dat I can be a degree holder . My friends with HND are working in Total,NLNG,ExxonMobil etc Na wetin God say about u matter

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by adekanbai: 9:32am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
I don't think there's a general rule that a university student will definitely be better than a polytechnic graduate. I think it has to do with individual differences

Though, I can't speak for others but I can at least speak for myself.. I have HND in view and to the glory of God, I can confidently compete with any university student (area of specialization apart). I have had the priviledge to do so many things with university students and my performance has always been keeping them doubting the negative perception they normally have for polytechnic students.

Both university and polytechnic students can be half-baked, they can both be dumb heads,they can both be unproductive in the labour market, they can be grammatically deficient. So, a university graduate can be better than polytechnic graduate and vice versa

My 2cent cool
You've said it all. Besides, I want to beleive personal performance has to come in place here. I've seen lots of University graduates who can't write letter of introduction or respond to query. Any HND holder feeling inferior to his BSC counterparts is a dumb ass and has nothing to show off. Majority of job advertisement advertisement I've seen would tell you HND upper/Bsc 2.1 or 2.2. Both have different curriculum.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 9:35am On Jul 08, 2016
Engineermbugame:
hehehe,boss ur on point.
Hope I talk am well sha? grin
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by georgenamosky: 9:35am On Jul 08, 2016
i strongly believe and stand by HND is more better than BSC. come to think of it we the HND based on practicals and theoretical aspect of it, we don't believe in talking rather we believe in proving it and showing you how things goes
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Freksy(m): 9:36am On Jul 08, 2016
KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES!

IF YOU GO TO OIL FIRMS AND OTHER PRODUCTION COMPANIES., U"LL BE SHOCKED TO KNOW THAT THE MAJORITIES ENTERED WITH HND/ND

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, A GOOD ND HOLDER FROM THE POLYTECHNIC IS EVEN BETTER THAN AN AVERAGE BSC GRADUATE, AND ARE EASILY EMPLOYED.

ASK THOSE YOU KNOW THAT WORK WITH MOBILE, NNPC, SHELL, CHEVRON ETC TO CONFIRM THE ABOVE.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Jobos(m): 9:36am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
I don't think there's a general rule that a university student will definitely be better than a polytechnic graduate. I think it has to do with individual differences and perhaps
, how you're able to develop and equip yourself

Though, I can't speak for others but I can at least speak for myself.. I have HND in view and to the glory of God, I can confidently compete with any university student (area of specialization apart) without being sidelined. I have had the opportunity to do certain things with many university students and my influence is greatly being felt that it keeps them misconception they have for polytechnic students.

Both university and polytechnic students can both be half-baked, they can both be dumb heads, they can both be unproductive and unemployable in the labour market, they can both goof when put to test, they can both be grammatically deficient. In fact, an SSCE holder may even perform better than both of them

So, in a nutshell, a university graduate can be better than polytechnic graduate and vice versa

The fact that others were not privileged to attend a university is not enough reason to unjustly rule out discriminating conclusion just because you want to look superior in their presence

My 2cent cool
The question is not about B.sc better than Hnd but about acceptance and recognition worldwide.
My opinion is for all interested readers to google and read about the white paper that established polytechnic in Nigeria. That paper place the Hnd holders at middle level.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by cortix(m): 9:36am On Jul 08, 2016
Godson32:
Royco cube & maggo cube,which one is better. HND get grade o,u can't even compare a distinction HND holder with a 2nd class lower bsc holder.
God bless you for standing on the truth

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by oloworulz(m): 9:36am On Jul 08, 2016
i gaduated with a 3rd class and am working with the lagos state govt, am earning more than HND graduates. I don't know y it's like that
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Austin4lif: 9:39am On Jul 08, 2016
Fairgodwin:
I guess it all depends on the class of the HND (degree). If the HND is a distinction, then I will agree it is far better and more considerable/commendable than a BSc in the 3rd class category. But if it is lower credit HND (or even an upper credit at times) then I'll completely tell you the BSc 3rd class is more considerable/preferable to the HND.

Of course a distinction in HND is [supposed to be] better than a 3rd class BSc degree, but in any case, the average Nigerian person might not see it in that light.

My humble opinion, though.

PS there's a huge difference between 'being' and 'been' sir. The write up is very nice I must confess, but you used 'being' where you were supposed to use 'been.' I'm sorry I couldn't overlook it, because it always troubles me to see such mistakes.
and he is comparing HND to B.sc 3rd class.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Engineermbugame(m): 9:41am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
Hope I talk am well sha? grin
yes boss
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Bluffly: 9:42am On Jul 08, 2016
All of you should stop this HND BSc thing. I rate an Upper Credit HND higher than a Third Class Bsc because the result reveals their mental articulacy but HND can never do a masters programme in the uK for example. HND can only be considered for a Pre-masters likewise Third Class with HND still having the opportunity of completing a final year in the UK. Even when we go to the North America, HND is HND .

The definition of each programme distinguishes it. If you wish you can spend 7 years in polytechnic it is still HND because it is not about the years spent but the definition of the programme.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Bluffly: 9:44am On Jul 08, 2016
Austin4lif:
and he is comparing HND to B.sc 3rd class.

Does your certificate justify your English. Remember that not all English native can read and write.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by FKMagazine(m): 9:46am On Jul 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Most probably, contrary to your belief, this is no fight between HND and Degree, we are just here to check and balance. Having an HND and having a Third Class BSC Degree, which one is better concerning regards for each in the employment market.

First of all, Definition of Terms for some of us who might not be so sure of what HND and Third Class BSC are :

HND Holder is one who has completed a course program at a Polytechnic in Nigeria. The certificate awarded upon completion of the program is the Higher National Diploma (HND).

BSc Holder is one who has completed an undergraduate program at a University in Nigeria. The degree awarded upon completion of the program is a Bachelor Degree (BSc).

Now, my own opinion :
Since time past the HND has always being considered inferior to the BSc. This, at least, was the idea inculcated in us by the colonial masters and this mentality is what many of us still hold onto today, which is not supposed to be.

It is also important that we know that the university is an internationally recognized higher institution of learning all around the world. As such, a third class BSc holder may sometimes have the opportunity of furthering their studies in a way that the HND holder cannot because a BSc is recognized everywhere while same cannot be said for the HND. Besides, we look down on the HND ourselves in Nigeria, why then would international bodies regard it any more than we do.

Many employers today may not even include HND as one of the qualifications required for job vacancy positions. In light of this, HND holders may sometimes get automatically disqualified before even getting a chance at interview.

Another key point is, an HND holder may secure a good job real quick compared to a third class BSc holder, but the effect of this is that in the long run, a HND holder who fails to upgrade his certificate to a BSc may find himself bowing to that third class BSc holder (who has now added to his qualifications) whom he had left behind all those years ago.

Well, not to sound bias :

Over the years, Polytechnic graduates have proven themselves to be in no way inferior to their counterparts in the university.

Today, a polytechnic student can stand shoulder to shoulder with an undergraduate in the university and even surpass him/her. Besides, Polytechnics have being known to conduct more research and practical works than the university. This prepares the students adequately for what is needed to face the outside world.

In conclusion, it would be wrong of me to declare a third class degree as better than the HND.

So here we are, what's your view.

Graduating with an HND or a Third Class BSC Degree - Which is better?

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/hnd-holder-vs-third-class-degree-bsc-holder/

@Op, u must be suffering from wht i called edu-centrism+Bsc slavery & psychological traumatism...it isn't ur 'jobless' fault anyway, it's d government's inconsistence & unrepentantly failing system. If u re sure of ur self, i challenge to a debate, even if u have first class in Bsc...
@Admin, or Seun Osewa, never again make dis type of topic a front page, so as to give cheap & undeserved publicity to it. The fact known is: I can proudly say dat in terms of practical & creativity & even administrative (which rules the world 2day), an HND graduate is far, far better off to Bsc, (only medicine & Law graduands prove themselves exempted because they spend more years at schl).
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 9:48am On Jul 08, 2016
Jobos:

The question is not about B.sc better than Hnd but about acceptance and recognition worldwide.
My opinion is for all interested readers to google and read about the white paper that established polytechnic in Nigeria. That paper place the Hnd holders at middle level.
Alryt bros
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by olatunji390(m): 9:49am On Jul 08, 2016
oloworulz:
i gaduated with a 3rd class and am working with the lagos state govt, am earning more than HND graduates. I don't know y it's like that

How did u do that?
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 08, 2016
Typing from experience, in Engineering sphere, Poly graduates are far far ahead nd better than B.tech, in fact, ND2 students engineering are better than 400l University students. While in social sciences and management, University is the best, that is when we can compare 3rd class B. Sc with HND.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 9:53am On Jul 08, 2016
oloworulz:
Dey dia dey deceive urself grin grin
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Fynestboi: 9:58am On Jul 08, 2016
FKMagazine:

@Op, u must be suffering from wht i called edu-centrism+Bsc slavery & psychological traumatism...i isn't ur 'jobless' fault anyway, it's d government's inconsistence & unrepentantly failing system. If u re sure of ur self, i challenge to a debate, even if u have first class in Bsc...
@Admin, or Seun Osewa, never again make dis type of topic a front so as to give cheap & undeserved publicity to it. The fact known is: I can proudly say dat in terms of practical & creativity (which rules the world 2day), HND is far, far better off to Bsc, (only medicine is exempted).

Isn't it possible you make your point without @bolded?

Or didn't you see this symbol (?) or do I need to tell you what it means to end a statement with that symbol. undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Pimiento(m): 10:00am On Jul 08, 2016
You are busy comparing certificates, what about your potentials? Let me tell you my story.
While I was about rounding up my NYSC, I attended an interview. The job requires job experience which I don't have. And am holding a HND in Purchasing and Supply. We were given a math and IQ test (with the so called Bsc. holders), and I scored highest in both. After the Oral interview, I was asked to assume office immediately after my POP as a Graduate Trainee. Five months later, I was promoted as a Sales Executive, today am in charge of training newly recruited staff in the northern zone(even the Msc. holders). And am currently under training for the position of Regional Sales Manager. Meaning not just Bsc holders, even the Msc holders will be reporting to me. All this happened in less than a year.

Someone said those of us in the Polytechnic are there cos we don't pass waec/jamb, we are there by condition. Yes to some extent you are right it's condition, but it does not necessarily mean it's waec/jamb. "If I show u my waec result, e go shock u"

7 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Sammyblaq(m): 10:01am On Jul 08, 2016
Op I think this is a slap on the face of those that graduated with HND.
U didn't even compare with 2nd class¿.
I don't see a relationship btw the 2.

Op I will say u'just a biased bsc holder by bringing up such a topic. If u are fortunate to attend a uni, others are fortunate too to study in a poly.

It's just poor mentality killing us...
Am a HND holder. I believe in myself.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by aboveu(m): 10:02am On Jul 08, 2016
Buhari school cert,
fayose OND
OBJ HND grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by danbrowndmf(m): 10:02am On Jul 08, 2016
agarawu23:
it means cos if it doesn't, a company won't reject 3rd class CV and employ 1st/2nd class CV.
most 3rd class students i no will beat 40% of 1st class student i no when it comes to offering what u'v learnt. U talk as if u dnt kow nigerian school system.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by histemple: 10:03am On Jul 08, 2016
Okijajuju1:

OP..

You can't compare apples and oranges..

A Bachelor of Science Degree is not the same degree as a 'Diploma'..

I wouldn't want to say one is higher than the other, more like they are both designed to take care of two different things.

Start from their curriculum.

What people don't understand is that the Polytechnics are "technology based institutes) created basically for the purposes of providing national technical assistance.

In fact, Nigeria also created technical schools at secondary school levels, different from the conventional secondary schools and it was basically for the acquisition of technical knowledge.

Based on this, its graduates are expected to be more technically competent.
It is generally wrong to begin to equate them with university degree holders. Even the curriculum for both are different.

The university is globally recognized but most countries do not even understand what a Polytechnic means. It was that serious that the UK had to convert all their Polytechnics & colleges to universities in 1992.

More so, you don't expect someone with a "NATIONAL" certificate to be more recognized than a global certificate. Until we understand the reason for the establishment of these two institutions, we may continue this needless comparison in ignorance.

However, it must be noted that a sound Polytechnic graduate should be more competent in the area of technical know-how and so, should be preferred in that area.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by danbrowndmf(m): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2016
agarawu23:
it means cos if it doesn't, a company won't reject 3rd class CV and employ 1st/2nd class CV.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Officers Declared Wanted For Insulting Ibrahim Idris Police IG In Public. Photos / BAT Nigeria Salary Scale: Salary Of British American Tobacco PLC Of Nigeria / Gallant Soldiers Sit On Their Head Inside A Dirty Water During Military Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.