Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,458 members, 7,781,316 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:24 PM

HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD (49550 Views)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p / Did You Graduate With A Pass Or Third Class? Here's A Word Of Advice For You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by cashmyles: 10:03am On Jul 08, 2016
I tire for em... Maybe their is no honour(s) when it comes to HND
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Sammyblaq(m): 10:04am On Jul 08, 2016
Pimiento:
You are busy comparing certificates, what about your potentials? Let me tell you my story.
While I was about rounding up my NYSC, I attended an interview. The job requires job experience which I don't have. And am holding a HND in Purchasing and Supply. We were given a math and IQ test (with the so called Bsc. holders), and I scored highest in both. After the Oral interview, I was asked to assume office immediately after my POP as a Graduate Trainee. Five months later, I was promoted as a Sales Executive, today am in charge of training newly recruited staff in the northern zone(even the Msc. holders). And am currently under training for the position of Regional Sales Manager. Meaning not just Bsc holders, even the Msc holders will be reporting to me. All this happened in less than a year.

Someone said those of us in the Polytechnic are there cos we don't pass waec/jamb, we are there by condition. Yes to some extent you are right it's condition, but it does not necessarily mean it's waec/jamb. "If I show u my waec result, e go shock u"
Goodluck man... Grace in all endeavours

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by HomoSapiien: 10:05am On Jul 08, 2016
georgenamosky:
i strongly believe and stand by HND is more better than BSC. come to think of it we the HND based on practicals and theoretical aspect of it, we don't believe in talking rather we believe in proving it and showing you how things goes

You guys keep deluding yourself with this practical and theoretical aspect, who told you that they don't do that too in the university?

Most hnd holders I know cant even compose a single sentence talk less of writing a letter, and they will be around shouting practical and theoretical nonsense. Mtsheeeeew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by jydmak(m): 10:06am On Jul 08, 2016
@OP how could you compared HND Certificate with BSc 3rd class? I happened to be the last engineer and the only HND holder that was employed in a construction company where I work.
After working for 5 months , the company CEO called for a meeting that includes all the staffs. He said to us " there would be retrenchment of some staffs because the company lacks funds" . Down inside me I said to myself "Jide you've lose your job". But to my surprise, I was the only engr that was left In the company simply because of my performance said the company manager while other were sent away with their Btech .
The bottom line: Recruitment is now based on what you can offer NOT on the certificate u're holding. BUILD YOURSELF.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by AngelAhnie(f): 10:06am On Jul 08, 2016
What's so special about bsc that you are comparing a 3rd class graduate to someone that has HND?

I prefer HND to even 1st class graduate.

Who go say him mama soup no sweet..

HND all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by yak(m): 10:07am On Jul 08, 2016
the issue is that 3rd class will b denied the opportunity to sit for recruitment test in many organisations so he won't b able to show whether he's intelligent or not while HND upper credit will get all the opportunity to prove himself. Above all, favor is the most important

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 10:07am On Jul 08, 2016
Pimiento:
You are busy comparing certificates, what about your potentials? Let me tell you my story.
While I was about rounding up my NYSC, I attended an interview. The job requires job experience which I don't have. And am holding a HND in Purchasing and Supply. We were given a math and IQ test (with the so called Bsc. holders), and I scored highest in both. After the Oral interview, I was asked to assume office immediately after my POP as a Graduate Trainee. Five months later, I was promoted as a Sales Executive, today am in charge of training newly recruited staff in the northern zone(even the Msc. holders). And am currently under training for the position of Regional Sales Manager. Meaning not just Bsc holders, even the Msc holders will be reporting to me. All this happened in less than a year.

Someone said those of us in the Polytechnic are there cos we don't pass waec/jamb, we are there by condition. Yes to some extent you are right it's condition, but it does not necessarily mean it's waec/jamb. "If I show u my waec result, e go shock u"
May God bless you for this well thought comment cool

2 Likes

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by HomoSapiien: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2016
Pimiento:
. "If I show u my waec result, e go shock u"

Hehehhehehehehe grin na electrocuted wire? shocked

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by bigiyaro(m): 10:08am On Jul 08, 2016
Non is better jare, nigerians n dia overrated n overhyped certificates.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Situation001(m): 10:09am On Jul 08, 2016
abeg bsc holder no dey apply for npower or em first class no dey carry placard.. ??
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by phemflex90(m): 10:13am On Jul 08, 2016
agarawu23:
3rd class bad abeg, Wetin won dey the person head.
prof. Wole soyinka Is a third class graduate
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by TonyRoland(m): 10:14am On Jul 08, 2016
SirAlfred:
At the government establishment BSc 3rd class is superior to HND. You can't head a department or ministry with HND, but with BSc 3rd class you can head departments or ministries. It's there in the public service gazette.
bt I can be a PRESIDENT with SSCE. we people sha stay dere dey tell me story for d gods.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Pimiento(m): 10:14am On Jul 08, 2016
HomoSapiien:

Hehehhehehehehe grin na electrocuted wire? shocked
Just that it pains me wen I hear people say it's lack of good waec result that makes some people go to the polytechnic
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 10:14am On Jul 08, 2016
HomoSapiien:

You guys keep deluding yourself with this practical and theoretical aspect, who told you that they don't do that too in the university?

Most hnd holders I know cant even compose a single sentence talk less of writing a letter, and they will be around shouting practical and theoretical nonsense. Mtsheeeeew

You're not in any way better than the accused polytechnic graduates. The hnd should be in capital letter not small letter (HND) cool
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by histemple: 10:14am On Jul 08, 2016
emperorgoke:
Typing from experience, in Engineering sphere, Poly graduates are far far ahead nd better than B.tech, in fact, ND2 students engineering are better than 400l University students. While in social sciences and management, University is the best, that is when we can compare 3rd class B. Sc with HND.

Your analysis is very correct. The two institutions were actually created to serve different purposes.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:17am On Jul 08, 2016
Have vowed not too discuss on issues like this on social media but, I will contribute.
Someone commented that, HND holders are employed in oil companies. That is true, they employ them as technologist which someone with Bsc in Engineering would be their boss. Promotion for HND holders is limited.
Having 3rd class in your degree is poor but, some are intelligent, some had issues in school.
Saying polytechnic graduate are practical oriented is not true but there are intelligent graduates from polytechnic. I Have met polytechnic graduates with upper credit in computer engineering that couldn't use Microsoft package like excel I was shocked, he told me polytechnic education has deviated from its objectives they no longer do practical like it was 20-30years ago.
My advice for both HND and 3rd class Bsc holders is to add to their qualifications.
Moreover, everything is not about certificate it is about what you can do/offer.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Vicfus(m): 10:19am On Jul 08, 2016
I don't always see this as a topic Fѳʀ discussion. It is only when Чōϋ' are still struggling that Чōϋ' try tѳ give regard tѳ one qualification over another. Correct me if I'm wrong, D̶̲̥̅̊ great men of the world today does not lay much emphasis on whether it's a BSC or HND. Meaning tѳ succeed in life; BSC or HND is not a determining FACTOR. Talk less and Act more!
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by gevans(m): 10:19am On Jul 08, 2016
bsc n hnd palava again, I thought this had been treated over and over in this forum
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by HomoSapiien: 10:22am On Jul 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
You're not in any way better than the accused polytechnic graduates. The hnd should be in capital letter not small letter (HND) cool

Continue deluding yourself bro grin

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Kelechi2020(m): 10:24am On Jul 08, 2016
Fairgodwin:
I guess it all depends on the class of the HND (degree). If the HND is a distinction, then I will agree it is far better and more considerable/commendable than a BSc in the 3rd class category. But if it is lower credit HND (or even an upper credit at times) then I'll completely tell you the BSc 3rd class is more considerable/preferable to the HND.

Of course a distinction in HND is [supposed to be] better than a 3rd class BSc degree, but in any case, the average Nigerian person might not see it in that light.

My humble opinion, though.

PS there's a huge difference between 'being' and 'been' sir. The write up is very nice I must confess, but you used 'being' where you were supposed to use 'been.' I'm sorry I couldn't overlook it, because it always troubles me to see such mistakes.

I hope you got the message...English Professor

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by HomoSapiien: 10:25am On Jul 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
Have vowed not too discuss on issues like this on social media but, I will contribute.
Someone commented that, HND holders are employed in oil companies. That is true, they employ them as technologist which someone with Bsc in Engineering would be their boss. Promotion for HND holders is limited.
Having 3rd class in your degree is poor but, some are intelligent, some had issues in school.
Saying polytechnic graduate are practical oriented is not true. Have met polytechnic graduates with upper credit in computer engineering that couldn't use Microsoft package like excel I was shocked, he told me polytechnic education has deviated from its objectives they no longer do practical like it was 20-30years ago.
My advice for both HND and 3rd class Bsc holders is to add to their qualifications.
Moreover, everything is not about certificate it is about what you can do/offer.

Yet, some fools are here deluding themselves about one fairy practical and theoretical aspect.

Some companies even prefer to employ OND instead of HND. HND in this country is dead.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Aroh48(m): 10:26am On Jul 08, 2016
bigiyaro:
Non is better jare, nigerians n dia overrated n overhyped certificates.
Guy,I love this comment.Non is better.My mum no go school,but she's into business.I Knw how many CV's make I and my elder brother they screen.The so called almighty Bsc and Hnd graduates.Guys,make una forget abt dis mentality of hnd and bsc shit.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by gevans(m): 10:32am On Jul 08, 2016
the word ''polytechnic graduates r more practically oriented than their university counterparts" is an illusion, may be that is only true 20 years ago
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by queencalipso(f): 10:32am On Jul 08, 2016
Vicfus:
I don't always see this as a topic Fѳʀ discussion. It is only when Чōϋ' are still struggling that Чōϋ' try tѳ give regard tѳ one qualification over another. Correct me if I'm wrong, D̶̲̥̅̊ great men of the world today does not lay much emphasis on whether it's a BSC or HND. Meaning tѳ succeed in life; BSC or HND is not a determining FACTOR. Talk less and Act more!

My boss doesn't care if you are BSC or HND even NCE he employes. To him as along as you went through high institution and willing to learn, you are good to go. He often say "there's no law that said you must practice what you studied in school" so he can fix you anywhere he want.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 08, 2016
histemple:

What people don't understand is that the Polytechnics are "technology based institutes) created basically for the purposes of providing national technical assistance.

In fact, Nigeria also created technical schools at secondary school levels, different from the conventional secondary schools and it was basically for the acquisition of technical knowledge.

Based on this, its graduates are expected to be more technically competent.
It is generally wrong to begin to equate them with university degree holders. Even the curriculum for both are different.

The university is globally recognized but most countries do not even understand what a Polytechnic means. It was that serious that the UK had to convert all their Polytechnics & colleges to universities in 1992.

More so, you don't expect someone with a "NATIONAL" certificate to be more recognized than a global certificate. Until we understand the reason for the establishment of these two institutions, we may continue this needless comparison in ignorance.

However, it must be noted that a sound Polytechnic graduate should be more competent in the area of technical know-how and so, should be preferred in that area.

If that's the case, why do polytechnics offer other social science course, since it is a technology base institution?
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by tosyne2much(m): 10:33am On Jul 08, 2016
HomoSapiien:

Continue deluding yourself grin
Let's stop deluding each other grin
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by cindybaby22(f): 10:34am On Jul 08, 2016
Edubrazilnwa:
lol all these things still boils down to who you know.mehn but for me oo I rather have HND distinction than Bsc.3rd class..mehn shame ma sef no go dey gree me present d result
not in govt establishments.
during my nysc, the vp couldn't attain the position of a principal because he had hnd.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by ebenholer(m): 10:36am On Jul 08, 2016
It is an absurd question trend that needs not be discussed here on naira. It is out of tune with the present society. So this trend should be in total deleted on nairaland.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by cindybaby22(f): 10:36am On Jul 08, 2016
queencalipso:

My boss doesn't care if you are BSC or HND even NCE he employes. To him as along as you went through high institution and willing to learn, you are good to go. He often say "there's no law that said you must practice what you studied in school" so he can fix you anywhere he want.
not in every profession.

1 Like

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Aroh48(m): 10:37am On Jul 08, 2016
Guys,I want ask una one question,una president get Hnd or Bsc? Pls answer dis question with all sincerity.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:38am On Jul 08, 2016
HomoSapiien:

Yet, some fools are here deluding themselves about one fairy practical and theoretical aspect.

Some companies even prefer to employ OND instead of HND. HND in this country is dead.
That is the most annoying thing. Even applying for scholarship as an HND holder is difficult.
Govt should find away to bridge the gap between Bsc and HND. What am I even saying, our education system is not even okay.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by VaginaTerrorist(m): 10:39am On Jul 08, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Customs Promotes Bashir Abubakar Who Rejected $420,000 Bribe / Photographer Shares Screenshot Of A Hilarious Message He Got From A Client / 5 Feminine Jobs Men Are Doing And Hitting It Big In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.