Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. (9886 Views)

Top Ten Books On Okadabooks / Get Your Books On Amazon Kindle From Nigeria ! / Books On Biafra - Compiled By Dan Awduche (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Leiman100(m): 7:09am On Jul 09, 2016
Because they are all lies
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Jexyme(f): 7:37am On Jul 09, 2016
Igbo man and money na like bread n butter.thus, high propensity to kwaruption.....Lol!
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 09, 2016
Even igbo slaves were the most expensive of all black slaves brought to the plantations in the Americas(reading about the red eboes and the super negros)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3606218_img20150902073119_jpeg4e7806d57a72ab19ea5fc7ff20475bdd

Back to the topic!

The same way igbo foods are usually very expensive to cook and our ladies are more expensive to marry, compared to other nigerian foods and ladies. I just don't understand.
Even we build more expensive houses,have higher standard of living and thing are more expensive in the east...

Could it be because they generally have more spending power due to wealth acquisition?

Just asking.

Check out this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3050941/documents-igbos-pictures

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by anaton(m): 7:46am On Jul 09, 2016
Diamonds are beautiful but very rare and expensive; so are the Igbos and their culture.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by allanphash7(m): 7:47am On Jul 09, 2016
Bco igbo people too like money

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Chuksemi(m): 7:51am On Jul 09, 2016
Pavore9:
Been looking for books that could possibly explain the link between the igbos and the Luo tribe of Kenya as they bear same names such as Okoro, Ejimba, Opara, Ngige, Amadi, Mbaka etc and they love showing off wealth like igbos! cheesy

Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Krismart(m): 8:14am On Jul 09, 2016
MissingBudget:

How expensive were the ones you saw? I buy novels for up to 3-4k or more without regrets.

My uncle has a really wonderful book on the Igbo culture, I could send it across to you if you care.
Bros, is it hard copy or eBook? I would like to have a copy pls
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 09, 2016
I wanted to buy from shops, For the first time I was told black and white print of Books is 1500. I just took one.
I must finish every book about Biafra war. Before descending on those that explains Igbos origin.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Tonyjude: 8:29am On Jul 09, 2016
xharder:
Even igbo slaves were the most expensive of all black slaves brought to the plantations in the Americas(the red eboes and the super negros)

Back to the topic!

The same way igbo foods are usually very expensive to cook and our ladies are more expensive to marry, compared to other nigerian foods and ladies. I just don't understand.
Even we build more expensive houses,have higher standard of living and thing are more expensive in the east...

Could it be because they generally have more spending power due to wealth acquisition?

Just asking.

nna men I was just reasoning now oo. nah true o
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by VajanahDischaj(f): 8:30am On Jul 09, 2016
because igbo boys are involved.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by jojothaiv(m): 8:43am On Jul 09, 2016
kennynelcon:
Clap for yourself.
him wey no like money ba?
We all love money...
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by jojothaiv(m): 8:46am On Jul 09, 2016
anaton:
Diamonds are beautiful but very rare and expensive; so are the Igbos and their culture.
I don't concur with that statement sir...

It's basically "different strokes for different folks"
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 09, 2016
I have some pdf books but most likely not something you would like.

Talks much about canibalism and has lots of pictures of nude women with rafia tied around their waist and teenage girls with nothing on but beads.

The books were written in the early 1900's. Not many white men were able to penetrate igbo land unlike other parts of the countrie, hence the few available books are scarce and expensive.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by melejo(m): 8:59am On Jul 09, 2016
abuayman:
I think is because, their history is not straightforward tongue grin
Even common sense is not common. Dear tribal bigot what is not straight forward should be cheap. Where is your sense of reasoning?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by melejo(m): 9:05am On Jul 09, 2016
Leiman100:
Because they are all lies
Where is your sense of reasoning? Lies should be cheap. Tribal bigot

1 Like

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by nonjebose(m): 9:07am On Jul 09, 2016
Jexyme:
Igbo man and money na like bread n butter.thus, high propensity to kwaruption.....Lol!
That is uncouth
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by refreshrate: 9:44am On Jul 09, 2016
Even for common DSTV to show Africa magic igbo you have to do compact at least unlike Hausa or Yoruba
For Gotv no show at all.

Why?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by refreshrate: 9:49am On Jul 09, 2016
nonjebose:
That is uncouth

Are you sure he understands you ? Hoping he doesn't see this as a form of praise.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by nonjebose(m): 10:10am On Jul 09, 2016
refreshrate:

Are you sure he understands you ? Hoping he doesn't see this as a form of praise.
lwkmd, abeg leave me o
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Vince77(m): 10:41am On Jul 09, 2016
amtalkin:
Better soup na money kill am biko

Better soup na good cook kill am.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Seened: 10:53am On Jul 09, 2016
Noneroone:
Its because most Igbo texts are original. They didnt allow foreigners to write their history and culture. If na lie ask Elizabeth Isichei and Onwuajeogu. grin

Elizabeth Isichei's books are rich in historical research work. I recommend them highly.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by ChristineC: 11:27am On Jul 09, 2016
xharder:
Even igbo slaves were the most expensive of all black slaves brought to the plantations in the Americas(reading about the red eboes and the super negros)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3606218_img20150902073119_jpeg4e7806d57a72ab19ea5fc7ff20475bdd

Back to the topic!

Just asking.

Check out this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3050941/documents-igbos-pictures
what is the title of this book?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by BJIZZY(m): 11:55am On Jul 09, 2016
I swear bruh..
hagmond1:
go to ojuelegba
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by judondasylva(m): 12:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
I also need that
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by slowbreeze(f): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2016
Pavore9:
Been looking for books that could possibly explain the link between the igbos and the Luo tribe of Kenya as they bear same names such as Okoro, Ejimba, Opara, Ngige, Amadi, Mbaka etc and they love showing off wealth like igbos! cheesy

For real??
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by MissingBudget: 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
Krismart:
Bros, is it hard copy or eBook? I would like to have a copy pls

Hard copy.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Joe4lv(m): 1:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
I am currently experiencing same issues. I have been on the net searching for PDF of Isichei Allo Elizabeth's books to download but nothing.
Someone suggested UNN in this forum so I think I will go for that option.

But I recently realized many Igbo youths are searching for books on their history. It's a growing trend and I love it. Almost all my friends are deep dug in knowing Igbo history and origin.

#IgboAmaka!!!

Please,is there any Igbo cultural centre in Unizik so I check that out first before going for UNN centre?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by ekenetheorg(m): 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2016
Pavore9:

Take a look at the Luo people.... Obama is one. So, he has link with Igbos?

Internationally notable Luo people
Adongo Agada Cham, 23rd King of the Anuak Nyiudola Royal Dynasty of Sudan & Ethiopia (Sudan/Ethiopia)
Ayub Ogada, singer, composer and performer on the nyatiti , the Nilotic lyre of Kenya (Kenyan)
Barack Obama , President of the United States, of partial Luo descent through his father, Barack Obama, Sr.
Barack Obama, Sr. , Economist, Harvard University Graduate, father of current U.S. President Barack Obama (Kenyan)
Bazilio Olara-Okello , Former Senior Army officer, deceased (Ugandan) who led the rebellion that gave Tito Okello the Presidency.
Betty Bigombe, Former Ugandan Politician, a senior fellow at the U.S Institute of Peace (Uganda)
David Peter Simon Wasawo , University of Oxford trained Zoologist and the first African Deputy Principal of Makerere University College and Nairobi University College
George Ramogi , musician (Kenyan)
Grace Ogot , Educationist (Kenya)
Henry Luke Orombi, Archbishop of the church of Uganda (Uganda)
Janani Luwum, Former Archbishop of the Church of Uganda (Ugandan)
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga - Independence Fighter, First Vice President of Independent Kenya (Kenyan)
Johnny Oduya, a defenseman for the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL
Joseph Kony , Leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, notorious rebel group in Uganda (Ugandan)
Kevin Ochieng Obura (Kenya), African and Luo Information System Expert
Dr. Lakareber Janet (Uganda), author Acoli Accented Orthography ISBN 978-0954932305
Lupita Nyong'o (Kenya), Actress and Filmmaker (Yale School of Drama) [5]
Matthew Lukwiya , Epidiomologist, Died while fighting to eradicate the ebola pandemic in northern Uganda (Uganda)
Okot p'Bitek , poet and author of the Song of Lawino (Ugandan)
Olara Otunnu , Former Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict
(Ugandan)
Raila Amolo Odinga , Second Prime Minister, The longest serving political detainee in Kenyan History
Ramogi Achieng Oneko , Independence Freedom Fighter and Politician (Kenya)
Robert Ouko, Kenyan Foreign Minister, murdered in 1990 (Kenyan)
Raychelle Omamo, Cabinet Secretary - Department of Defense (Kenya)
Thomas Odhiambo, Pre-eminent scientist, founder of International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, exceptional thinker, visionary and influencer (Kenya)
Francis Ochola Orieny, Political editor (Kenya)
Thomas Risley Odhiambo, University of Cambridge trained entomologist and environmental activist (Kenya), and the founder Director Of ICIPE, African Academy of Sciences and RANDFORUM
Tito Okello , Former President of Uganda and Army Commander – Deceased (Ugandan)
Tom Mboya , politician, Pan-Africanist, assassinated in 1969 (Kenyan)
Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor, Author (Kenya)
Allan ORIMBA, Philanthropist (Kenya)

To summarize most names here have semblance with Igbo names but I'm yet to see a single pure Igbo name so that's fallacy.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Pavore9: 5:03pm On Jul 09, 2016
ekenetheorg:

Take a look at the Luo people.... Obama is one. So, he has link with Igbos?

Internationally notable Luo people
Adongo Agada Cham, 23rd King of the Anuak Nyiudola Royal Dynasty of Sudan & Ethiopia (Sudan/Ethiopia)
Ayub Ogada, singer, composer and performer on the nyatiti , the Nilotic lyre of Kenya (Kenyan)
Barack Obama , President of the United States, of partial Luo descent through his father, Barack Obama, Sr.
Barack Obama, Sr. , Economist, Harvard University Graduate, father of current U.S. President Barack Obama (Kenyan)
Bazilio Olara-Okello , Former Senior Army officer, deceased (Ugandan) who led the rebellion that gave Tito Okello the Presidency.
Betty Bigombe, Former Ugandan Politician, a senior fellow at the U.S Institute of Peace (Uganda)
David Peter Simon Wasawo , University of Oxford trained Zoologist and the first African Deputy Principal of Makerere University College and Nairobi University College
George Ramogi , musician (Kenyan)
Grace Ogot , Educationist (Kenya)
Henry Luke Orombi, Archbishop of the church of Uganda (Uganda)
Janani Luwum, Former Archbishop of the Church of Uganda (Ugandan)
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga - Independence Fighter, First Vice President of Independent Kenya (Kenyan)
Johnny Oduya, a defenseman for the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL
Joseph Kony , Leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, notorious rebel group in Uganda (Ugandan)
Kevin Ochieng Obura (Kenya), African and Luo Information System Expert
Dr. Lakareber Janet (Uganda), author Acoli Accented Orthography ISBN 978-0954932305
Lupita Nyong'o (Kenya), Actress and Filmmaker (Yale School of Drama) [5]
Matthew Lukwiya , Epidiomologist, Died while fighting to eradicate the ebola pandemic in northern Uganda (Uganda)
Okot p'Bitek , poet and author of the Song of Lawino (Ugandan)
Olara Otunnu , Former Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict
(Ugandan)
Raila Amolo Odinga , Second Prime Minister, The longest serving political detainee in Kenyan History
Ramogi Achieng Oneko , Independence Freedom Fighter and Politician (Kenya)
Robert Ouko, Kenyan Foreign Minister, murdered in 1990 (Kenyan)
Raychelle Omamo, Cabinet Secretary - Department of Defense (Kenya)
Thomas Odhiambo, Pre-eminent scientist, founder of International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, exceptional thinker, visionary and influencer (Kenya)
Francis Ochola Orieny, Political editor (Kenya)
Thomas Risley Odhiambo, University of Cambridge trained entomologist and environmental activist (Kenya), and the founder Director Of ICIPE, African Academy of Sciences and RANDFORUM
Tito Okello , Former President of Uganda and Army Commander – Deceased (Ugandan)
Tom Mboya , politician, Pan-Africanist, assassinated in 1969 (Kenyan)
Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor, Author (Kenya)
Allan ORIMBA, Philanthropist (Kenya)

To summarize most names here have semblance with Igbo names but I'm yet to see a single pure Igbo name so that's fallacy.

Jane Ngige, CEO, Kenya Flower Council
Anne A. Amadi Chief Registrar of the Judiciary
Jacob Opara, CEO and Co-Founder - MGI Consultants
Dr. Dan Odhiambo Okoro, SRH Programme Officer, UNFPA
Michael Mbaka. Senior Project Manager, Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) Trust Kenya

Never show off ignorance while disputing a FACT....Feel free to google verify the few l have listed!
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:
I have some pdf books but most likely not something you would like.

Talks much about canibalism and has lots of pictures of nude women with rafia tied around their waist and teenage girls with nothing on but beads.

The books were written in the early 1900's. Not many white men were able to penetrate igbo land unlike other parts of the countrie, hence the few available books are scarce and expensive.
good day sir,will be most grateful if you can send me the pdf. I am a lover of igbo culture and history,i practice omenana(odinani) too.
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by Pavore9: 5:06pm On Jul 09, 2016
slowbreeze:

For real??

Confirm!
Re: Why Are Books On Igbo Culture, Identity, History Etc Expensive. by osomegbe(m): 7:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
Even wife is expensive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Etisalat Flash Fiction Award 2016 For Unpublished African Writers / SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho / The Official Literature/Writing Section Poster Of The Year Award 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.