Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,407 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone (8743 Views)

MTN Secretly Reviewed Its Tariff Plans / Samsung Brings Back Flip Phones Running Android OS: Meet Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 / Top 5 Ways To Get More Memory Space On Your Android. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 6:51am On Jul 09, 2016
Recently my phone started giving me alerts about low storage.. I had to uninstall one of my favorite games (Asphalt cool and left only FIFA 14. I must say it really hurt me removing the game but I had no other option. After some days the low on space error came up again. I decided to go through all the hidden folders on my phone. Every file Manager has an option to show hidden files but if yours doesn't. Download ES file Explorer.

The folder that takes up space on your phone is probably the .thumbnails folder. Let me explain why the folder takes space. Whenever you watch a video on your phone, the phone converts each clip of the video to tiny image thumbnails as its playing,as time goes on the clips accumulate to a very huge size. Imagine playing a 2 hour video and each clip is converted to tiny thumbnails. Even clips from deleted videos still remain in the folder. When I deleted the folder, 1.5gb of space was freed up. The folder can be found in the DCIM folder

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 6:51am On Jul 09, 2016
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by goldeno10boy: 7:07am On Jul 09, 2016
thanx
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by oscillation55(m): 7:22am On Jul 09, 2016
I have a standing policy of deleting all thumbnail folders at first sighting, the images are too small to be relevant any other day
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by pendusky(m): 7:29am On Jul 09, 2016
matrixx9:
Recently my phone started giving me alerts about low storage.. I had to
uninstall one of my favorite games (Asphalt cool and left only FIFA 14. I
must say it really hurt me removing the game but I had no other
option. After some days the low on space error came up again. I
decided to go through all the hidden folders on my phone.
Every file Manager has an option to show hidden files but if yours
doesn't. Download ES file Explorer.

The folder that takes up space on your phone is probably the
.thumbnails folder. Let me explain why the folder takes space.
Whenever you watch a video on your phone, the phone converts each
clip of the video to tiny image thumbnails as its playing,as time goes
on the clips accumulate to a very huge size. Imagine playing a 2 hour
video and each clip is converted to tiny thumbnails. Even clips from
deleted videos still remain in the folder.
When I deleted the folder, 1.5gb of space was freed up. The folder can
be found in the DCIM folder

Funny Op, that doesn't free up your space, that folder is called "Thumbnail" It will create another one once you delete it. Thumbnail give you a small view of what the video or pics looks like.

The best way to free your memory space is to move your installed app to SD card. and Most times clearing cache will help as well .

Goto Settings>App>Downloaded>Any app that is bigger in size will show first if you can see "Move To SD card" It explains your app is running on internal memory. Moving it to SD card can free up some space.

You can also Uninstall "Carry come" games you dont like because it's on internal memory.

6 Likes

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2016
pendusky:

Funny Op, that doesn't free up your space, that folder is called "Thumbnail" It will create another one once you delete it. Thumbnail give you a small view of what the video or pics looks like.

The best way to free your memory space is to move your installed app to SD card. and Most times clearing cache will help as well .

Goto Settings>App>Downloaded>Any app that is bigger in size will show first if you can see "Move To SD card" It explains your app is running on internal memory. Moving it to SD card can free up some space.

You can also Uninstall "Carry come" games you dont like because it's on internal memory.
very funny but it frees up memory. If I didn't test it I won't post it here..

3 Likes

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by pendusky(m): 8:17am On Jul 09, 2016
matrixx9:
very funny but it frees up memory. If I didn't test it I won't post it here..
check it again it's there...

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 8:20am On Jul 09, 2016
pendusky:
i never said that the Folder won't come up again. Deleting the already existing thumbnails frees up space.. What I mean is to delete the Folder once in a while to save space

4 Likes

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by DBlackCeazer(m): 8:31am On Jul 09, 2016
pendusky:
OP is right,it ll free up major space,but ll start creating new thumbnail that will accumulate over time.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Oahray: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2016
pendusky:

not if you create an empty file (file o, not folder) there with the same name, after deleting the thumbnail folder.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by iykekelvins(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2016
helpful
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 09, 2016
Really? Thanks.

Look below...
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Nbote(m): 10:40am On Jul 09, 2016
D thumbnail file is what allows ur gallery load once ur open ur gallery. For everytime u open ur gallery ur fone would create a thumbnail file. Clear ur fone cache instead and locate d whatsapp folder on ur fone and enta d databases folder. There u'll see all d backups ur whatsapp creates each day. Delete all d files there except the "msgstore.db.crypt12". D cache ur fone creates and d backups ur whatsapp creates daily is what's eating up ur storage.

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by abimbawealth(f): 11:01am On Jul 09, 2016
True...
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by chudyprince: 11:15am On Jul 09, 2016
matrixx9:
i never said that the Folder won't come up again. Deleting the already existing thumbnails frees up space.. What I mean is to delete the Folder once in a while to save space
Op you are right, i regain 25mb after i deleted that thumbnail folder & i will keep reviewing it every weekend to the space it has accumulated
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Kelechi2020(m): 11:24am On Jul 09, 2016
Still cant find my own thumbnail folder...
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Nbote(m): 11:58am On Jul 09, 2016
Kelechi2020:
Still cant find my own thumbnail folder...

U'll find d thumbnail folder in ur DCIM folder. Dats d default folder containing all ur photos..
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Folakeme: 12:03pm On Jul 09, 2016
pendusky:

Please o,My phone don't have "move to SD card" details,I have tried using apps,it can't move still
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by endtimeshit(m): 12:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nice observation. Also remember to delete .apk files you've already installed

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Thukzee01(m): 12:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
I've always been deleting thumbnails buh nice one OP

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Naijji: 12:10pm On Jul 09, 2016
Get memory map apk. It'll show you a nice graphic of what's taking up space on your device.

With regard to the thumbnail folder, I rarely delete mine. The system is just making it easier for you to view media files. If you delete stuff in the folder, it'll take longer to load media files the next time you visit your gallery.

Even when you've deleted it, once you open any media files, the system creates another cache on the thumbnail folder.

My advice, only delete when you're really really tight. You can also clear cache to free up space

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Naughtylyn: 12:17pm On Jul 09, 2016
For the comprehensive book on Mobile phones and Tablets Repairs everyone is talking about, click the link below and get it here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9789534116?keywords=mobile%20phones%20and%20tablets%20repairs&pc_redir=T1&qid=1463153220&sr=8-8
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thanks, I just found all the photos I had lost in that file.

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Ayuzz007(m): 12:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
helpful indeed....
It's viewable inside your flash share app also, some phone are stturborn to display hidden file....
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Eminenteezzy(m): 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2016
You've got a chance to win as much as can and earn as much as you deserve, Its just a click away.
Use the link below to generate traffic and earn money 10$ for every unique visitor that clicks your link.
Good places to start posting your link are social websites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Youtube, forums, chat rooms, blogs, etc.
http://Fans2Earn.com/?ref=2884
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Kelly2713(m): 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
useful @ op. thanks

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by MrRichy(m): 2:24pm On Jul 09, 2016
does App like clean master help to remove those thumbnail ??

cos everytime i install an app or delete a file it always tell me to clean the unneeded files.

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Ayuzz007(m): 2:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
MrRichy:
does App like clean master help to remove those thumbnail ??

cos everytime i install an app or delete a file it always tell me to clean the unneeded files.

360 is more applicable, Its the one I'm using... Lifetime wipe of unneeded files....
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by kingDELE(m): 2:44pm On Jul 09, 2016
Op, thank u. Make I go find d rubbish....

I do c dis folder through xender but I dnt knw hw to access through file manager.... .
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 2:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
kingDELE:
Op, thank u. Make I go find d rubbish....

I do c dis folder through xender but I dnt knw hw to access through file manager.... .

uwc

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by bablononi(m): 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thanks OP. nah one gig sha
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by 2dillu2(m): 3:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thank you for sharing with us op
cc: lalasticlala mynd44

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno Aims To Be Developing Market Leader By 2021 / Reasons Why I Left Data Resellers And Start Subscribing Normal Mtn Sub / How To Borrow/get Airtime Loan From MTN,GLO AND AIRTEL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.