Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone (8730 Views)

MTN Secretly Reviewed Its Tariff Plans / Samsung Brings Back Flip Phones Running Android OS: Meet Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 / Top 5 Ways To Get More Memory Space On Your Android. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Olasco93: 3:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
This thread was very helpful.
matrixx9, Folakeme, Naijji, pendusky and co, thank you all.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by cozy7(m): 4:59pm On Jul 09, 2016
pendusky:

Funny Op, that doesn't free up your space, that folder is called "Thumbnail" It will create another one once you delete it. Thumbnail give you a small view of what the video or pics looks like.

The best way to free your memory space is to move your installed app to SD card. and Most times clearing cache will help as well .

Goto Settings>App>Downloaded>Any app that is bigger in size will show first if you can see "Move To SD card" It explains your app is running on internal memory. Moving it to SD card can free up some space.

You can also Uninstall "Carry come" games you dont like because it's on internal memory.
How abt apps that can't be moved, bcoz d "move to sd card" bottom isn't highlighted? Any ideas? This space issue is my biggest (probably d only) problem I got with my LG phone.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Evidence1000(m): 6:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
Just did it now. Thanks OP
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by erobes: 7:16pm On Jul 09, 2016
search for this app "CCLEANER"...it does magic
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 09, 2016
Umi iron for sale @ 28k, pm me.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by kecee99(m): 8:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
matrixx9:
Recently my phone started giving me alerts about low storage.. I had to
uninstall one of my favorite games (Asphalt cool and left only FIFA 14. I
must say it really hurt me removing the game but I had no other
option. After some days the low on space error came up again. I
decided to go through all the hidden folders on my phone.
Every file Manager has an option to show hidden files but if yours
doesn't. Download ES file Explorer.

The folder that takes up space on your phone is probably the
.thumbnails folder. Let me explain why the folder takes space.
Whenever you watch a video on your phone, the phone converts each
clip of the video to tiny image thumbnails as its playing,as time goes
on the clips accumulate to a very huge size. Imagine playing a 2 hour
video and each clip is converted to tiny thumbnails. Even clips from
deleted videos still remain in the folder.
When I deleted the folder, 1.5gb of space was freed up. The folder can
be found in the DCIM folder
helpful
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by pendusky(m): 8:17pm On Jul 09, 2016
Folakeme:

Please o,My phone don't have "move to SD card" details,I have tried using apps,it can't move still

If you see Move to phone, that means it's on SD card already
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by walemust(m): 8:50pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nice info op u hv really saved life's
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by omartins(m): 10:34pm On Jul 09, 2016
Thanks, free up to 611 MB. Cache is up to 1.7 GB. Very useful topic.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by babayega(m): 10:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
OP, Jah bless you! I just deleted 2 items in that folder. Both were above 2.2gb each. 4.5gb freed o. Praise da lord!!!!
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by luigiajah(m): 10:51pm On Jul 09, 2016
babayega:
OP, Jah bless you! I just deleted 2 items in that folder. Both were above 2.2gb each. 4.5gb freed o. Praise da lord!!!!
Hallelujah.. Do visit NaijaTechGuy anytime soon cheesy..

1 Like

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by bobojoshua(m): 11:21pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nbote:
D thumbnail file is what allows ur gallery load once ur open ur gallery. For everytime u open ur gallery ur fone would create a thumbnail file. Clear ur fone cache instead and locate d whatsapp folder on ur fone and enta d databases folder. There u'll see all d backups ur whatsapp creates each day. Delete all d files there except the "msgstore.db.crypt12". D cache ur fone creates and d backups ur whatsapp creates daily is what's eating up ur storage.
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by bobojoshua(m): 11:24pm On Jul 09, 2016
matrixx9:
Recently my phone started giving me alerts about low storage.. I had to
uninstall one of my favorite games (Asphalt cool and left only FIFA 14. I
must say it really hurt me removing the game but I had no other
option. After some days the low on space error came up again. I
decided to go through all the hidden folders on my phone.
Every file Manager has an option to show hidden files but if yours
doesn't. Download ES file Explorer.

The folder that takes up space on your phone is probably the
.thumbnails folder. Let me explain why the folder takes space.
Whenever you watch a video on your phone, the phone converts each
clip of the video to tiny image thumbnails as its playing,as time goes
on the clips accumulate to a very huge size. Imagine playing a 2 hour
video and each clip is converted to tiny thumbnails. Even clips from
deleted videos still remain in the folder.
When I deleted the folder, 1.5gb of space was freed up. The folder can
be found in the DCIM folder
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by babayega(m): 2:49am On Jul 10, 2016
luigiajah:
Hallelujah.. Do visit NaijaTechGuy anytime soon cheesy..
Soon ke? I Don reach since grin
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 7:09am On Jul 10, 2016
babayega:
Soon ke? I Don reach since grin
grin grin
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 7:10am On Jul 10, 2016
babayega:
uwc
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by matrixx9(m): 7:11am On Jul 10, 2016
omartins:
Thanks, free up to 611 MB. Cache is up to 1.7 GB. Very useful topic.
uwc
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Mayere(m): 12:07pm On Nov 25, 2016
[color=#006600][/color] thanks
Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by shedy03(m): 2:40pm On Nov 25, 2016
freed up some space, cool.

Re: See The Folder That's Secretly Using Up Space On Your Android Phone by Pylony(m): 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2016
matrixx9:
very funny but it frees up memory. If I didn't test it I won't post it here..
Tempering with your DCIM folder will result into you deleting images taking with your Camera, and if still in doubt go delete both the DCIM folders on your external and internal memories and see for yourself. Every app you use or game you play as you progresses leave behind Cache files a kind of residual files that you'll need to do away with to create more space on your phone. There are apps such as SMART BOOSTER that could help delete such junk files while you sleep.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Hot S Not Charging. Please Help / Get 250mb N100 ,1gb N200 & 4gb N1000 Mtn User's Only This Time / Iphone 5 Most Powerful Phone Out, Beats Galaxy S III - Anandtech Benchmarks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.