Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,506 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (39298 Views)

Ronald, 27-Year-Old Nigerian Man Who Has Never Had An Erection Before. Photo / Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nelszx: 12:06am On Jul 11, 2016
eleojo23:

Now you sound threatened! Why are you feeling so? Change is a constant thing.

I hope you wont have a heart attack if I tell you that pharmacist do residency program in the US and some other countries. For instance,

https://pharmacy.uic.edu/departments/pharmacy-practice//residency-fellowship-programs/pgy-residency-program/pgy1-community-pharmacy-residency-program

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/pharmacy/residents/

Even Nurse practitioners are now prescribing in some countries.
https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/articles/pharmaceutical-non-medical-prescribing

It is only a matter of time before it becomes common all over the world.

In fact, take a look at the curriculum for the West African Postgraduate College Of Pharmacists, residency is a part of every specialization (including clinical pharmacy)

http://www.wapharm.org/pm/webpages.php?id=17

Also, the doctor of pharmacy degree(PharmD) which has more emphasis on clinical practice is fast gaining ground even in Nigeria.

You don't need to be threatened.
The shortage of doctors and the need to make healthcare easily accessible to everyone has led to the expansion of the roles of pharmacists and nurses. They however still have their limitations. A doctor will always be a doctor, nobody is trying to take that away from them.
You guys just have to keep an open mind and embrace the changes and see how everyone can work together. You cant fight the change for long because it is here to stay.

Same way in other parts of the world medical laboratory science is now a doctoral degree and are taking the roles of pathologist. The DMLS degree and postgraduate fellowship trending. Threatened set of people, change has come to the Medical line with DPT, PharmD and DMLS degrees

4 Likes

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nacozee: 7:27am On Jul 11, 2016
eleojo23:

Now you sound threatened! Why are you feeling so? Change is a constant thing.
seriously? LOL. keep waiting for that change. U wud die waiting to play doctor without MBBS. Same with rest others who envy docs from below n wish to enter thru back door, cuz there is no such thing. U beter leave that delusion alone. I hav told u, if prescription dey hungry u, go pick jamb form b4 its too late and stop posting dead links here smiley
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Whiteguru1179: 7:38am On Jul 11, 2016
I am afraid of what health care will become in Nigeria. Everybody wants to be a doctor not because they want the doctors responsibility but because they want a doctors pay package and clout!!!! Expansion in curriculum my foot! West African Post grauate residency in pharmacy my assz! Have I not see you people prepare for that crap you call exam, 10 pages of handout and some one calls it exams then has the idiocy of comparing it with a post graduate residency training in medicine or surgery! I feel so pissed off now with this ursurpers who can't even smell the pungent odour of a dka patient yet want to called and payed like doctors. If the pharmacy council or NU C likes let it extend your training to nine years, you will always be a pharmacist, a freaking drug dispenser!!! Gosh!!!

1 Like

Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by eleojo23: 7:39am On Jul 11, 2016
nacozee:
seriously? LOL. keep waiting for that change. U wud die waiting to play doctor without MBBS. Same with rest others who envy docs from below n wish to enter thru back door, cuz there is no such thing. U beter leave that delusion alone. I hav told u, if prescription dey hungry u, go pick jamb form b4 its too late and stop posting dead links here smiley

I thought that after sleeping and waking up you would be more reasonable but I was wrong. Wallow in your ignorance until reality delivers you from it.
Have a nice day!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by nacozee: 7:54am On Jul 11, 2016
eleojo23:

I thought that after sleeping and waking up you would be more reasonable but I was wrong. Wallow in your ignorance until reality delivers you from it.
Have a nice day!
Bro sleep makes one's logic even more sound, am suprised u xpected less frm me. i'd rather wallow in ignorance than in delusion. seems to me u didnt sleep much, and that works gud with ur delusion. I perfectly undstnd d frustration u feel cuz u are not where u want to be, worse stil is wen there are no back doors too. But pls bear wit the system, peace out. smiley
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by jojutolu(m): 7:58am On Jul 11, 2016
eleojo23:

What kind of doctor is this sef?
You are embarrassing your colleagues here.
I am amazed at your ignorance even when you can just open another tab on your browser and look up some things on the scope of the pharmacists job.

Let me help you. Check these out and educate yourself.

https://www.opatoday.com/tips-and-common-questions/tip-sheets/10-services-your-pharmacist-can-offer-you

The link below shows an example of how the role of pharmacists is expanding in various parts of the world and Nigeria is fast keying into this.

https://pans.ns.ca/public/pharmacy-services/assessing-prescribing-minor-ailments

Here are links to books on patient assessment in pharmacy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0781765560/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l

https://www.amazon.com/Patient-Assessment-Pharmacy-Richard-Herrier/dp/0071751947
Thanks so much o, I had given up on him. What a stereotyped mind!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 11, 2016
drered:

Pharmacists have no business in the wards. Says the guy who invented medicine. Take several seats.
I don't really get this bickering and endless squabbles. Dudes should know that healthcare is multidisciplinary, and every part is as important as the other. Even those who permanently remains undercover, unheralded (like the deek), they're just as important as the parts which are constantly exposed. (like the head)
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by 247notire(m): 8:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
Lisaflex:

tongue
cheesy

Very nice siggy.

Watcha think 'bout mine?
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 8:33pm On Jul 11, 2016
247notire:
cheesy
Very nice siggy.
Watcha think 'bout mine?
Fnks...Ur's is nice as well
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2016
PharmAlfred:

Pls, educate me on the reaction to Azithromycin.
After that, I will send you materials on where Azithromycin has proven useful to asthma patients. This is obviously an idiosyncratic reaction which the pharmacist is not responsible.
And for the records, macrolides are the preferred choice for respiratory tract infection especially cough in relation to the Floroquinolones

I wrote ds based on d first post wer he didn't mention d name of d drug, buh jes said dt d drug he was given was found 2 be contraind(not d word he used tho,buh what he implied) in asthmatics....Read my post after sm1 posted a screen grab wer d guy finally gave additional info (including d name of d drug)
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2016
Lisaflex:

Hi! smiley . Please I need a little favour
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 8:54pm On Jul 11, 2016
teejaypee:

Hi! smiley . Please I need a little favour
Shoot,I'm listening
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 9:10pm On Jul 11, 2016
Lisaflex:

Shoot,I'm listening
Thanks! smiley

please a friend of mine needs your help to win a contest (my siggy),
all i ask for is your vote smiley
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Lisaflex(f): 9:14pm On Jul 11, 2016
teejaypee:
Thanks! smiley
please a friend of mine needs your help to win a contest (my siggy), all i ask for is your vote smiley
No qualms
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
Lisaflex:

No qualms
Thanks dear smiley
i knew i could count on yousmiley
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by KINGinVAHALA: 2:19am On Jul 13, 2016
Lisaflex:

No qualms

Wow, thanks babe, I assure you that you won't regret voting me.

@teejaypee, thanks a lot man, you have really been a great help. please check your mail.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 7:30am On Jul 13, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Wow, thanks babe, I assure you that you won't regret voting me.

@teejaype.e, thanks a lot man, you have really been a great help. please check your mail.
replied bro cool
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by Sgwash: 12:32pm On Jul 13, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

do you have an idea of what we call drug disease interactions? that's one of the things px students do in therapeutics and ethical dispensing. no pxcists will ever fill a prescription without screening it. While screening you check for different types of interactions so pharmacists know whole lots about dx and presence of other co-morbid conditions.
The problem is Dr's don't trust pxcists enough and is also same for pxcists not trusting the Dr's too.
well, since it boils down to a matter of trust, I think its best to leave the non medical individuals to decide for themselves who to trust.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by KINGinVAHALA: 7:47pm On Jul 13, 2016
teejaypee:
replied bro cool
done same bro!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 8:10pm On Jul 13, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

done same bro!
check ya mail. Replied
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by KINGinVAHALA: 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2016
teejaypee:
check ya mail. Replied
Just did same.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Just did same.
dafuq happened? shocked
replied!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by KINGinVAHALA: 10:24pm On Jul 13, 2016
teejaypee:
replied!
Same!
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by teejaypee: 10:26pm On Jul 13, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Same!
same
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by 1k001(m): 7:48pm On Sep 24, 2016
So now it's the victims fault that he didn't volunteer information when the pharmacist elected to change his drug. This kind of attitude is not professional and frankly is deadly.

The onus is always on the professional to prevent any untoward outcomes. Patients don't know what they don't know, that's why they come to a professional who knows to guide them.

There was everything wrong with what the pharmacist did!

thorpido:
There was nothing wrong with what the pharmacist did.If there is no particular drug,the pharmacist can give alternatives.It's what they are trained to do.
The problem was not taking history and the victim here not volunteering such information.
Re: You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists by thorpido(m): 9:08pm On Sep 24, 2016
1k001:
So now it's the victims fault that he didn't volunteer information when the pharmacist elected to change his drug. This kind of attitude is not professional and frankly is deadly.

The onus is always on the professional to prevent any untoward outcomes. Patients don't know what they don't know, that's why they come to a professional who knows to guide them.

There was everything wrong with what the pharmacist did!

I have it there in my statement that the pharmacist ought to have asked questions.However,the victim in question had a condition that he should tell every health professional he comes across.It's helping the health professional help you better.
Conditions like asthma,ulcer,reaction to certain drugs etc should be things you volunteer even at first contact.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me / Coronavirus: Three Patients In Kano Flee After Testing Positive — Official / Hallitosis(Mouth Odour) Has Finished Me; Pls Help A Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.