Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Attachments On Women`s Hair - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Attachments On Women`s Hair (47101 Views)

Historic Congress On Women Held In Saudi Arabia-Wahabi Style!!! / Leason From The Qur'an On Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attachments On Women`s Hair by Adam4naija: 11:18am On Sep 10, 2009
Sallam Alaykum.

Making use of the rubber attachment on women's hair, they said is wrong islamically. What about the use of wool to plait their hair.

Ma-assalam.
Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by Abuzola(m): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2009
Wool to plait ? Lol. No offence in that
Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by zayhal(f): 11:36am On Dec 22, 2009
The so-called wools are now used as attachments, even in a more ridiculous manner. Whether rubber or wool, attachment is attachment. As long as it extends beyond the original hair or is woven with the hair, it is an attachment.

2 Likes

Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by Lagosboy: 12:56pm On Dec 22, 2009
Mmmm interesting topic. How do i start, mmmmm

Firstly there is a unanimous agreement of sholars on the impermissiblity of the use of human hair to beautify the womans hair. This is from the hadith of the Prophet PBUH in Bukhari that says and (i am not quoting verbatim) Allah has cursed the Al - wasilah (The hairdresser that adds the hair) and mutawasilah (The lady who asks for it).

The scholars based on this hadith have prophibited the use of another persons human hair of whatever source.

Now to the issue of non human hair like wool , silk and cloth.

We have difference of opinion amongst the schools of thought.

Hanafi and shafi schools have allowed the use of wool and its kind because it is not human hair and not considered cheating. They have allowed it as it could beutify the woman for her husband.
The Shafi school based their on the condition that the source animal for the wool has to be pure as in halal to eat and also that the woman who does it is married with the permission of her husband.

The maliki school prohibits the use of wool and other things that seem like hair and not apparently clear it is not the womans hair. They have only permitted the use of things like silk to tie the hair as it doesnt add to the hair but only used as an extention and fully apparent it is not her hair.

The Hambali have toed a similar line of the malikis prohibiting anything that seems like human hair even if it is not human hair.

From the explanation above we should not condemn anyone using wool to beautify herself as long as it is for her husband. The use of rubber will take the similar ruling of wool but the reason rubber will be sometimes impermissible is water will not penetrate rubber for the purpose of wudhu which makes the wudhu non valid. Wool could be penetrated by water so no issue with this.

And God knows best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by zayhal(f): 5:34pm On Dec 22, 2009
@Lagosboy

The hadith that was narrated about the woman who went to the Prophet(PBUH) and asked permission to use attachment on her daughter's hair on her wedding day because something was wrong with her original hair, the Prophet's answer was no, she could not use attachment.

Now, I want to know, did that hadith specify whether what the woman wanted to use was a human hair or other material?

My understanding of that hadith has always been that anything that is attached to the original hair to make it look longer and deceitful to those seeing it is what the Prophet(PBUH) referred to and thus should be avoided.

I'm not usually against those who use the wool to plait the hair normally without extending it beyond the length of the hair but you need to see the heavyweight of wools some people attach to their hair in the name of fashion.

So please, shed more light on this.
Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by Lagosboy: 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2009
I understand where you are comming from and I have been of a similar opinion before i advanced in knowledge on some issues alihamdulilah.

Now this is the hadith i guess you are refferring to

Sayyida A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) narrates that an Ansari girl was married and became sick hence all her hair fell out. They (her family and friends) intended to join her hair with false hair, so they asked the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) who said: “Allah has cursed the woman who joins her or[b] someone else’s hair [/b] (with the hair of another man or woman) and the woman who asks for her hair to be joined with the hair of another.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no 5590)

The opinion in the Hanafi school and Shafi school explains that the hadith specifically refers to someone elses hair and not an animal hair which was also available in their time. According to the Hanafi school the use of wool whether fitted or extended or looks longer is permissible. Fashion for a woman is not haraam rather it is encouraged to make her always attractive to her husband but fashion has to be within the limits set by islam.

If you read this book umad al qari sharh bukhari (its in arabic though, no english translation) under the hadith above it explains all these and highlights the permissibity of non human hair as long as it is not pig and a pure animal.

Remember the rule everything is halal until proven haram. The burden of proof is on one who says if it extends beyond the normal hair then it is haram. As far as i know there is no hadith stating this but the interpretation of the above hadith to mean is not correct in my humble opinion. Wool heavy or light is clear to the beholder it is not natural hair and as such no deception in this. Also remember the hair is for the husband and will be covered by hijab anyway.

The opnions above like i stated is of the Hanafi school and shafis as well. Some Malikis accept wool on the condition of not extending beyond the normal hair and i guess this is the opinion you stated.?

N.B Some hanafi scholars even permit wiping of wig during wudhu of the wig is fixed and not easily removed.

And God knows best.
Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by zayhal(f): 6:25pm On Dec 22, 2009
N.B Some hanafi scholars even permit wiping of wig during wudhu of the wig is fixed and not easily removed.

This is very new to me. I'll try to read more, insha Allah.
Jazakallah khayran.
Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by Lagosboy: 6:35pm On Dec 22, 2009
zayhal:

This is very new to me. I'll try to read more, insha Allah.
Jazakallah khayran.

I did study Hanafi fiqh and Nigeria is mainly Maliki which prevents many muslim scholars to know little or nothing of Hanafi fiqh which make some verdicts strange when you first come across it. It is same to these Hanafi scholars as well , most of them never studied other schools thought. Comparative fiqh knowledge is essential but real hardwork and committment.

The permisibility if i remember well is in a book called Takmila Fath ul Mulhim -  A book on Hanafi fiqh , also in fatawa al ahindiyya you will find it there. The books are all in arabic of course though.

1 Like

Re: Attachments On Women`s Hair by iskeel123: 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2011
Now Registering for March 2009 - Learn Arabic Online!
Wigs and False Hair

Answered by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari , Darul Iftaa

Visit our Partner Sites
Learn Arabic Online
Unparalleled online Classes in classical Arabic taught in real time by traditionally trained western born instructors
www.shariahprogram.ca
Gadgets For Muslims
Innovative, inspiring gadgets. Check them out today!
www.gadgets4muslims.com
Arabic Numbers
Comprehensive Tutorial covering all aspects of Arabic Numbers
www.LearnArabicOnline.com
Homeschooling Resources
Comprehensive Directory of hard to find homeschooling resources
www.shamlu.org
QUESTION: If a wig is made out of synthetic fibres, is it still forbidden? If we were participating in a play or some such activity, where we might want to wear a wig for a very short period of time is it still forbidden? i.e. a young woman playing an old woman in a play. Is there any sort of ruling on those hair extensions that are available in malls?

ANSWER:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Wearing the hair of another human, man or a woman, or joining human hair to one’s hair has been clearly forbidden by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), as it involves deception and using a part of the human body, both of which are unlawful.

Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Allah has cursed the woman who joins (her or someone else’s) hair (with the hair of another man or a woman) and the woman who asks for her hair to be joined (with the hair of another person) and the one who tattoos (herself or someone else) and the one asks to get tattooed.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 5589)

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade this to such an extent that he did not even permit it for a woman whose natural hair had fallen off.

Sayyida A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) narrates that an Ansari girl was married and became sick hence all her hair fell out. They (her family and friends) intended to join her hair with false hair, so they asked the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) who said: “Allah has cursed the woman who joins her or someone else’s hair (with the hair of another man or woman) and the woman who asks for her hair to be joined with the hair of another.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no 5590)

Therefore, using human hair in any shape or form would be unlawful. It is prohibited to join one’s hair with the hair of another human or to wear a wig made out of human hair, regardless of whether the hair is completely joined and fitted into the hair or whether it is merely a wig which can be removed and re-worn whenever one desires. The ruling would be same even if one had a valid excuse in that one’s hair fell out, as the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) did not permit it even in such situations.

Similarly, it will not be permitted to use the hair of a pig due to it being filthy and impure (najis). The jurists (fuqaha) state that it is unlawful to use any part of a human (Muslim or non-Muslim) due to its sanctity, and a pig because all parts of a pig are considered impure (najis). (See: al-Lubab fi sharh al-Kitab, 1/47)

As far as using a wig, made from animal hair (other than a pig) or synthetic fibres, is concerned, the Fuqaha state that this is permitted, regardless of whether the hair is completely fitted into one’s hair or it is a removable wig.

It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

“To join one’s hair with the hair of another human is unlawful (haram), whether it is one’s own (removed) hair or someone else’s hair, as mentioned in al-Ikhtiyar sharh al-Mukhtar. However, there is nothing wrong (la ba’s) for a woman to put the fur (hair) of a camel or a goat (m: or other animals except a pig) in her hair strands, as mentioned in Qadikhan.” (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/358)

The permissibility of using synthetic hair is related from Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Abbas, Sayyida Umm Salama, Sayyida A’isha (who narrates the Hadith prohibiting using human hair) and other Companions (Allah be pleased with them all). (See: Ayni, Umdat al-Qari Sharh Sahih al-Bukhari, 22/64)

Some scholars disliked the joining of even synthetic and animal hair if it was completely attached and fitted to one’s own hair in a way that it is difficult to differentiate between the two, as it is a form of deception. However, many scholars permit it even if the wig or synthetic hair was completely fitted into one’s own hair.

It is also worth noting here that if the wig is fitted to the hair or body in a way that it is not detachable, then it will be permitted to wipe over the wig when performing ablution (wudu), and taking a ritual obligatory bath (ghusl) will be valid with keeping the wig on. However, if it is a removable wig, then one will have to remove it when performing Wudu or Ghusl. (See: Takmila Fath al-Mulhim, 4/191)

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

[Source: SunniPath]

[MAIN: QUESTION & ANSWERS] [BACK TO INDEX PAGE]

PLEASE READ: "FAIR USE NOTICE"

Women in Islam | Sufism - Islamic Mysticism | Islamic Jihad | Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) | Islamic History | Prayer in Islam | Islamic Marriage | Fasting in Ramadan | Eat Halal Foods | Worshipping Allah | Quran - Muslim Holy-book | Hajj - Pilgrimage in Islam | Islam - Fastest Growing Religion | Children in Islam | Islamic Finance | Conversion to Islam | Islam - Unseen | Biographies of Islamic Personalities | Myths about Islam

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Qur'anic Teaching About The Punishment For Blasphemy(pics) / Eid-ul-fitr: Muslims To Fast Tomorrow, Shawwal Moon Not Sighted In Saudi Arabia / When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.