Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? - TV/Movies (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? (44404 Views)

The Most Beautiful Actresses In Africa Are Ghanaian / Ur Best Yoruba Actors/actresses. / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 1:16am On Jan 05, 2007
yoruba actors are better because of their theoretical/educational background. yoruba has always laid lots of emphasis on education and this is the bedrock of their movie genre. i guess this solves your confusion as to why these people are good. yeah they are good because of their ethnic origin and their ethnicity laying high emphasis on education.

Yeah and Igbo actors make more because of their ethnicity and their ethnicity lays high emphasis on money making, who is the tribalist again? undecided. . .Most of these Nollywood actors went to theatre school, you might try checking it out.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 1:22am On Jan 05, 2007
author=Donzman link=topic=32182.msg796136#msg796136 date=1167956165]
Yeah and Igbo actors make more because of their ethnicity and their ethnicity lays high emphasis on money making,who is the tribalist again? undecided. . .Most of these Nollywood actors went to theatre school, you might try checking it out.

so you said. i would like to take u on on the second point though, what am saying is that most of the theatre lectures are yorubas. you could name few of the older generation popular igbo playwrites with the exception of achebe whom i know to counter my arguement.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 1:52am On Jan 05, 2007
@Ronkebaby

Have you ever heard of Zulu Sofola? Professor Ossie Onuora (Ossie Melody) Enekwe? Professor Catherine Chinweizu Acholonu, Okechukwu K. Ugorji, Paul Ndu, Obiora Udechukwu, Ernest Emenyonu, Buchi Emecheta and Elechi Amadi just to name a few.

How do you imagine a people like Igbos, so enterprising with reach far and wide haven't produced any notable playwrights?. . . Ok ohh!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 2:05am On Jan 05, 2007
Donzman:

@Ronkebaby

Have you ever heard of Zulu Sofola? Professor Ossie Onuora (Ossie Melody) Enekwe? Professor Catherine Chinweizu Acholonu, Okechukwu K. Ugorji, Paul Ndu, Obiora Udechukwu, Ernest Emenyonu, Buchi Emecheta and Elechi Amadi just to name a few.

How do you imagine a people like Igbos, so enterprising with reach far and wide haven't produced any notable playwrights?. . . Ok o
hh!

pity, i have only heard of sofola. you see the others are not world renowned!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 4:28am On Jan 05, 2007
You don't know Elechi Amadi?. . . You're even more ethnocentric than I thought. cry
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2007
Donzman:

You don't know Elechi Amadi?. . . You're even more ethnocentric than I thought. cry

must i know him? shows he/she is not in the class of wole soyinka, femi osofisan, ola rotimi and co! i spoke of world renowned and not local champions!!!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by chidexy(m): 2:17pm On Jan 05, 2007
Ronkebaby. You are really a bigotted ignorant. If you remain in your locality, fixated with your idealized nonsense, how would you know about such polished great literary minds. Historically, at least within the contemporary nigerian literature, the yorubas have been more inclined to playwriting, while the Igbos dominate the prose. can you give me a decent prose written by a yoruba that's worth reading, apart from a few from Soyinka.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Eurphoria(f): 2:22pm On Jan 05, 2007
lmao NL
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ronkebaby(f): 2:35pm On Jan 05, 2007
chidexy:

Ronkebaby. You are really a bigotted ignorant. If you remain in your locality, fixated with your idealized nonsense, how would you know about such polished great literary minds. Historically, at least within the contemporary nigerian literature, the yorubas have been more inclined to playwriting, while the Igbos dominate the prose. can you give me a decent prose written by a yoruba that's worth reading, apart from a few from Soyinka.

playwriting as a prelude to acting, that is what we are talking about here. shows you are the bigotted ingnorant!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by chidexy(m): 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2007
That is absolute nonsense. Playwriting is for stage and stage and movies are not one and the same. Great prose have been adapted to great movies, if in doubt ask John Gardner.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by TerraCotta(m): 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2007
You people are funny sha--this discussion is never-ending.

Ronkebaby--Elechi Amadi and Buchi Emechita on Donzman's list are pretty well-known (as novelists, at least). This discusssion don miss road a while ago, though. Donzman's insistence on measuring talent through money makes little sense, and I'm sure he knows that. Otherwise, people like Tom Cruise would be winning Oscars every year (he's never won one and was until recently the highest-paid actor in Hollywood/the world), while people like Hugh Laurie (multi-talented novelist, television comedian, Englishman playing an American doctor on the TV show 'House') or Gael Garcia Marquez would be making $20 million each movie. The equation is not that simple.

On the other hand, this stuff about Yorubas being the best actors simply because they're Yorubas is pretty tired and makes no sense. If you prefer the acting in Yoruba movies, just say so and move on. Prefer English movies? Good for you--no yawa. Movie preferences are not exactly a science--I don't get how either side is going to convince the other that their preference is right. Shake hands, slap each other on the butts, swap shirts, and go on to something new wink
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2007
TerraCotta:

You people are funny sha--this discussion is never-ending.

Ronkebaby--Elechi Amadi and Buchi Emechita on Donzman's list are pretty well-known (as novelists, at least). This discusssion don miss road a while ago, though. Donzman's insistence on measuring talent through money makes little sense, and I'm sure he knows that. Otherwise, people like Tom Cruise would be winning Oscars every year (he's never won one and was until recently the highest-paid actor in Hollywood/the world), while people like Hugh Laurie (multi-talented novelist, television comedian, Englishman playing an American doctor on the TV show 'House') or Gael Garcia Marquez would be making $20 million each movie. The equation is not that simple.

On the other hand, this stuff about Yorubas being the best actors simply because they're Yorubas is pretty tired and makes no sense. If you prefer the acting in Yoruba movies, just say so and move on. Prefer English movies? Good for you--no yawa. Movie preferences are not exactly a science--I don't get how either side is going to convince the other that their preference is right. Shake hands, slap each other on the butts, swap shirts, and go on to something new wink

Well said.

We have all made our points.

Ramsey and Omotola are happy to be at the top of Nollywood and Mummy Genevieve and Nkem Owoh are happy to be at the top rungs of the ladder too.

Ramsey is a better actor and more popular than Nkem Owoh.
While Genevieve is more popular than Omotola, but both tie in acting skills.

Final score: 2-1.
Yoruba actors and actresses in Nollywood are better.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by donjohano(m): 9:20am On May 06, 2007
Dear people, the title of this thread misses the point. The reason why Yoruba-speaking actors seem "better" by which I presume is meant "more convincing", is that they are speaking in their native tongue. When an actor speaks in his first language, there is no barrier between the actor and his material. English-speaking actors (Ibo, for the most part) are speaking a foreign, second language and have yet to find the right intonation, nuance for a particular scene. But watch those same actors speaking acting and speaking Igbo then even non-Igbo speaking viewers would immediately find their performances bringing a more powerful impact.

Its not a question of ethnicity.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by hotchick: 12:04pm On May 08, 2007
Although i agree that yoruba movies are deeper and probably more entertaining than english movies their actors are not as good also considering the fact that they dont act with scripts.They over-act and have no continuity.Still ill watch 2 yoruba movies to 1 english movie.Even my husband whose ghanian enjoys them.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by donjohano(m): 12:39am On May 09, 2007
The main problem lies with the scripts - the writers stick to the same formulaic material and same stock plots which I admit are extremely popular but totally undemanding.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by omogenaija(f): 12:56am On May 09, 2007
so they even have scripts shocked shocked? i love yoruba movies, but they just worst everytime i see one. its sad
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by justme3(m): 8:38pm On Jun 05, 2007
Seen a couple of yoruba movies and i must confess they are 100% better than d so-called english ones.most of their actors speak the language well compared to english actors who cant pronounce simple words
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by fekuti: 8:43pm On Jun 05, 2007
of course yoruba actors and actresses are better. they keep it real.
all you see in english films are fake ass accents, & boring predictable story lines. there are only a few good ones left.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by donjohano(m): 2:29am On Jun 06, 2007
I've explained this already - it's a question of speaking in your mother tongue which makes the actor's expression more credible, not what tribe (s)he is.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Love44(f): 6:39am On Jun 09, 2007
How come majority of Yoruba people are so tribalistic and also find it hard to associate with other people other than their tribe. I am calabar to be exact,
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by bigrovar(m): 10:31am On Aug 01, 2007
i quite a agree when it comes to production i give it to the Ibo/Nollywood English Speaking Movies.Acting is very Bad, and i feel the reason is the lack of originality in the acting of most of our English movie stars, most just want to copy hollywood in an obvious and irritating manner, they do and say things that are allien to the everyday Nigerian Experience, and for me that is a Big minus to their acting, even the yorubas in the English speaking Nollywood Genre are no better, but by contrast while many yoruba language movies lack good productions (with the execption of Mainframe) the acting is soooo real that as a Nigerian and a Yoruba person i can easily relate with the story and the action and of the actor, since it is something that i come across anyday, on the whole Nollywood still has a long way to go in order to create an identity for its self
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:35pm On Aug 02, 2007
Love44, you;re an idiot and that's all i have to say.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Orikinla(m): 7:15pm On Aug 05, 2007
From the stage in the 1980S to the screen in the 1990s to date, I have been on sets with the leading Yoruba and Igbo actors. Therefore, I can say what I know from experience.

Yoruba actors are true artists and their naturalism makes them better actors.

When there was no money in acting, most of the Igbo actors were not interested in acting.
But when the Igbo Electronics traders saw that they could import cassettes and CDs and fill them with B-rated home movies to be sold to their housewives and fellow Igbos, they jumped on the stage and are very artificial, because the greed for capital is their pivot and not the love for the Art.
Garbage in, garbage out (GIGO).

Why are they always shouting when they are speaking, even when they are meant to be a couple making love alone in the bedroom?

You are watching a Nollywood movie, you just see that they are artificial. They are too camera conscious.
Genevieve and Ini Edo are displaying for their boyfreiends and sugar daddies before the cameras.

I won't mention the other names, because they are my relations and pals. And when you tell them the truth, they refuse to accept their faults.

South Africa is not the third largest movie making country in the world, but South Africa has won two Oscars and have qualified for highly rated film festivals where Nollywood films did not even qualify for screening.

From Pa Orlando Martins to Olu Jacobs, Yoruba actors have blazed the trail in acting.

A script does not make a good actor, but a good actor makes a script great.

15 years of Nollywood and all we can boast of is quantity?
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:42pm On Aug 05, 2007
so true Orikinla

and can someone PLEASE tell these producers about the retarded music they play OVER the conversations? It's so frustrating. It's one thing if they play the stupid songs when no one is speaking in the scene but to be playing it while people are conversing is just so ridiculous. angry
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by gbadex1(m): 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2007
Lol, and i thought i was the only one that noticed that shit. . .
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 05, 2007
Jealous Ones Still Envy, it's nobody's fault that you didn't see the potential in traditional African movies. Any African from S. Africa to anywhere watches and enjoys Nigerian movies, I met a Zimbabwean girl here and she started acting out Nollywood for me with Chineke and all the screaming involved. I was impressed!

You wonder why they scream, like you've ever been to a place where Nigerians speak in a low tone. Why do people like Nollywood movies? It depicts what every black African is and want to be, people won't be rushing to the store to buy trash. Trash doesn't find its way to ever African store in the West and trash isn't watched by every black African who can understand what is being said.

Orikinla and co. are filled with plain jealousy, you've been in the industry for so long and newcomers have become millionaires. Your lack of vision has killed you, praise those with foresight!
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:55pm On Aug 05, 2007
Spoken like a true toddler.

Congrats.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Imani(f): 8:00pm On Aug 05, 2007
Love44:

How come majority of Yoruba people are so tribalistic and also find it hard to associate with other people other than their tribe. I am calabar to be exact,

It is not just the Yoruba, even mainstream Nollywood is at it.

You are right, there are some really tribalistic people in our country.

However, in terms of acting, i think the quality of films on both sides have deteroriated over the years. Gone are the days of good sound acting and notable plays and scripts. Everyone is in it for the money, including the Yoruba film industry.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by donjohano(m): 9:23pm On Sep 05, 2007
Have any of you seen Jacob's Cross on DSTV? A South African production with a part-Nigerian storyline? Good production values, a decent script and plot. Why can't we produce material like this - lack of fundng? Lack of imagination? One of my friends is a major Nollywood producer - I'll have to ask him.
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by henry007(m): 12:59am On Sep 11, 2007
i'm willin 2 become a yoruba playboy anyday anytime , i'm sure many of u wld agree i got the yoruba look?
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by Yetunday(f): 12:39pm On Sep 15, 2007
Qoute from Henry 007 -"i'm willin 2 become a yoruba playboy anyday anytime , i'm sure many of u would agree i got the yoruba look?"

Checked your profile and I am 100% sure that you'll be given a chance in one of the wacked yoruba movies!No go face your studies, na playboy u wan become,without money and gd looks, that can work!No bad blood oo,it's just a piece of advise
Re: Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? by romeo(m): 5:56am On Oct 17, 2007
Orikinla:

From the stage in the 1980S to the screen in the 1990s to date, I have been on sets with the leading Yoruba and Igbo actors. Therefore, I can say what I know from experience.

Yoruba actors are true artists and their naturalism makes them better actors.

When there was no money in acting, most of the Igbo actors were not interested in acting.
But when the Igbo Electronics traders saw that they could import cassettes and CDs and fill them with B-rated home movies to be sold to their housewives and fellow Igbos, they jumped on the stage and are very artificial, because the greed for capital is their pivot and not the love for the Art.

Garbage in, garbage out (GIGO).

Why are they always shouting when they are speaking, even when they are meant to be a couple making love alone in the bedroom?

You are watching a Nollywood movie, you just see that they are artificial. They are too camera conscious.
Genevieve and Ini Edo are displaying for their boyfreiends and sugar daddies before the cameras.

I won't mention the other names, because they are my relations and pals. And when you tell them the truth, they refuse to accept their faults.

South Africa is not the third largest movie making country in the world, but South Africa has won two Oscars and have qualified for highly rated film festivals where Nollywood films did not even qualify for screening.

From Pa Orlando Martins to Olu Jacobs, Yoruba actors have blazed the trail in acting.

A script does not make a good actor, but a good actor makes a script great.

15 years of Nollywood and all we can boast of is quantity?

Actually you are one of those wack people in our movie industry!! after so many years of being on set with all the supposed experience you have in movie, you are still a nobody!! doesn't that tell you something?. Envy like some stated above is your main problem.

South African movies has gotten awards and even Spanish movies too or movies made in Palestine and what about Bollywood? or do all American movies get awards? give Nollywood the resources and time it needs and the awards will start coming in and when i say time i mean "to get wacks like you removed from the Nigerian movie industry"

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

BBNaija: Nina Had MouthAction With Miracle / Jeff Excited As He Reunites With His Family After BBNaija Eviction (Photos) / Hiptv Clears The Air on Not Covering Olic3(screenshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.