Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,364 members, 7,780,998 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:12 AM

Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black (20844 Views)

PHOTOS: Chimamanda Adichie Receives Honorary Degree From University Of London / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene / My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 12, 2016
uzolexis:

Just cos it's a women's prison doesn't mean it's empty feminism...what is it with some of you guys that brings about insecurity when some issue is mostly about women did you see spartacus, was there not a lot of s.ex in it as well, yet most pple liked it and it didn't think it was aimless but cos this series is basically about women it becomes aimless....i tire for una o lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
no mind am
feminism is trying to dismantle the system of male superiority by birth so they hate it grin.

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by RRoyaId: 7:08am On Jul 12, 2016
Anambra born Chimamanda is doing the black race proud..

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Orikinla(m): 7:15am On Jul 12, 2016
Chima's literature has become part of American culture.
Reading her books is now part of the American life.
Americans appreciate and celebrate her more than Nigerians.
Only less than 50, 000 of the more than 180 million of the population of Nigeria have read her. But more than 600, 000 Americans have read her and are still reading her everyday.

3 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by jordinsparkles(f): 7:22am On Jul 12, 2016
if there are thousands of chimamanda fans out there!! I want you all to know that I am her BIGGEST FAN!!!! I love her books soo much.... I have purple hibiscus, americanah, things around your neck, and half of a yellow sun. But wait o.. My own americanah cover isn't like that.

2 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by stainlex(m): 7:24am On Jul 12, 2016
Karanka:
@kraftykc: it's plain to see where the problem lies.
I mean,you read Purple Hibiscus,Half of a yellow sun,Americanah ( books that have won several awards) and you didn't think much of them. You even consider 'Orange is the new black' crappy? Really? A highly acclaimed movie in it's 6th season that has also won several major awards?
Dude,the problem isn't far from you.

You really shouldn't blame a fella for expecting too much from his or her sources of entertainment. Our tastes are quite different from each other (Man. Meat. Poison.)...Biko bone the guy.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by chiwetel(f): 7:26am On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

I read Purple Hibiscus and it was alright. Started Half of a Yellow Sun and couldn't continue, I finished Americanah and wanted to strangle everyone who thought it "good"! It was pure shite! Terrible storyline with zero social impact to an actual Nigerian, horrible values being promoted and just a detestable lead character. I was thoroughly disappointed with the lead.
huh...you just spewed nothing buh hate,Americanah was highly outstanding. if you do want to criticise, be civil enough to be constructive about it.

5 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by chiwetel(f): 7:27am On Jul 12, 2016
jordinsparkles:
if there are thousands of chimamanda fans out there!! I want you all to know that I am her BIGGEST FAN!!!! I love her books soo much.... I have purple hibiscus, americanah, things around your neck, and half of a yellow sun. But wait o.. My own americanah cover isn't like that.
I love her to pieces too.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by letsbet(m): 7:45am On Jul 12, 2016
Kaycee7:
Purple Hibiscus is a good start.
Half of A Yellow Sun is not for the faint of heart.
I haven't finished Americanah yet but it's been interesting so far.

I've read purple hibiscus and Americana. there are both interesting and humorous. do you have an E-copy of 'Half of a yellow sun?
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by speciallymade(m): 7:53am On Jul 12, 2016
I've read some of her books and I won't say what I think about them because people will just term it as hate... Half of a yellow sun is talking about same thing as "there was a country" by chinua achebe, the narrators are just different

3 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 12, 2016
temptnow:
Really? do you people ever read before commenting? it says season 4 Episode 6 i downloaded the full season 4 complete.

hello, can you share the season 4 with me?
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 12, 2016
ifykem:
I neva read any of her book
My dear you are missing.

2 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Ranchhoddas: 8:07am On Jul 12, 2016
temptnow:
i was watching episode 6 and saw one of the actors reading her book.
I never knew the fourth season was out. I love that show.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by temptnow: 8:08am On Jul 12, 2016
Cmiller:
Where can i download movies from?not series oo
Kat.cr but you have to download vuze.com to your computer first.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by temptnow: 8:11am On Jul 12, 2016
Eyekandi:

hello, can you share the season 4 with me?
check the top 5 comment I pasted the link there.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Ranchhoddas: 8:13am On Jul 12, 2016
HouseOfBalloons:
Black Cindy!
I don't think there is anything to be proud of. For all intents and purposes, Chimamanda is an American. It's almost like saying you are proud of Uzo Aduba (Crazy Eyes).
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Kaycee7(m): 8:17am On Jul 12, 2016
letsbet:

I've read purple hibiscus and Americana. there are both interesting and humorous. do you have an E-copy of 'Half of a yellow sun?
Sorry Bro, I don't. E-copies are a sort of last resort for me. I prefer hard copy
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Icemany: 8:19am On Jul 12, 2016
chiwetel:
huh...you just spewed nothing buh hate,Americanah was highly outstanding. if you do want to criticise, be civil enough to be constructive about it.

I have also read her 3 famous works.
And i have this to say.
She has an uncanny ability to detail.
The way she describes a minor scenario is eerily apt and genius.
But she seems to lack direction in her plots and hence the end is always anti climatic .
It does not take the reader to a point of frenzy neither does it leave the reader yearning for more.
On the book in question,the average reader wont be drawn to the exploits of the heroine.
Or is it the pedestrian everyday narrative tone of the writer.
For example, The chief who later helped the boyfriend
to become a lagos big boy ,was so loosely put and discharged from the storyline.
Also,the repeated reference to the boy friend owning a chauffeur driven black range rover was all too shallow and elementary at best.
Something about the sex scenes were strangely disturbing ,unerotic and outright lame.
I can go on and on.
My rating:3/10.
Description: Beautiful nonsense,highly overrated,
waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by adadioranmah(f): 8:22am On Jul 12, 2016
uzolexis:
This season made me cry my eyes out...wait till you get to episode 12 then you'll understand.
I just can't believe that she is gone and I won't see her in the next season
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by uzolexis(f): 8:31am On Jul 12, 2016
Karanka:
I mean,you read Purple Hibiscus,Half of a yellow sun,Americanah ( books that have won several awards) and you didn't think much of them. You even consider 'Orange is the new black' crappy? Really? A highly acclaimed movie in it's 6th season that has also won several major awards?

Thank you, I couldn't have put it better myself..there are pple in this world who find it difficult to appreciate and commend others for a job well done, this is a typical example.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by uzolexis(f): 8:33am On Jul 12, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I don't think there is anything to be proud of. For all intents and purposes, Chimamanda is an American. It's almost like saying you are proud of Uzo Aduba (Crazy Eyes).

she is a Nigerian American...
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by uzolexis(f): 8:35am On Jul 12, 2016
adadioranmah:

me too...can't remember when last I cried so much, it was so sad cry cry
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Omojudy: 8:39am On Jul 12, 2016
ifykem:
I neva read any of her book
Try her book Purple Hibiscus. Best seller. But u don't pick her books on roadsides easily yet. Reputable bookshops.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by letsbet(m): 8:49am On Jul 12, 2016
Kaycee7:
Sorry Bro, I don't. E-copies are a sort of last resort for me. I prefer hard copy

Aiit. I prefer the hard copies myself, though e-copies are easier to carry around and share wit frnds. do av a nice day.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 12, 2016
KingRex1:
Hatteu2 coman see this.. Ur mentor in ur fav series
mehn! I can't wait to see this oo. I love this woman as a writer and her personality. She's now in m favourite series shocked shocked! I can't wait!

How do u knw she's my mentor nd my favourite series
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by chiwetel(f): 8:57am On Jul 12, 2016
Icemany:

I have also read her 3 famous works.
And i have this to say.
She has an uncanny ability to detail.
The way she describes a minor scenario is eerily apt and genius.
But she seems to lack direction in her plots and hence the end is always anti climatic .
It does not take the reader to a point of frenzy neither does it leave the reader yearning for more.
On the book in question,the average reader wont be drawn to the exploits of the heroine.
Or is it the pedestrian everyday narrative tone of the writer.
For example, The chief who later helped the boyfriend
to become a lagos big boy ,was so loosely put and discharged from the storyline.
Also,the repeated reference to the boy friend owning a chauffeur driven black range rover was all too shallow and elementary at best.
Something about the sex scenes were strangely disturbing ,unerotic and outright lame.
I can go on and on.
My rating:3/10.
Description: Beautiful nonsense,highly overrated,
waste of time.

Quite constructive.its funny how my views are the exact reverse of yours.
About the rich man and the Lagos boy,she really didn't have to delve into it was something an average Nigerian can relate to,so what she did was just suffice.

for the sex part,I think for an African writer, she's quite raw,you can't exactly say erotic.
I like the abrupt and unpredictable way she ends her books,its awakens your imagination.In all,chimamanda is a little bit of everything,and still very thrilling.

have read all her works, and maybe am blinded by so much admiration that it probably clouds my critical analysis, you just can't buh marvel on how deluxe a writer she is.

4 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Ranchhoddas: 9:02am On Jul 12, 2016
adadioranmah:

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Samuelking2: 9:11am On Jul 12, 2016
I love the book.... it took me four days to finish it.....
ceiling come in .........
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by chiwetel(f): 9:12am On Jul 12, 2016
@icemany.That was quite constructive, its funny how my views are the exact reverse of yours.
About the rich man and the Lagos boy,she really didn't have to delve into it,it was something an average Nigerian could relate to,so what she did was suffice.
I think her sex scenes are quite raw for an African writer, you can't exactly say erotic. plus there r tons of preference regarding it, so its quite"classified".
in a deliciously awkward way,I like the abrupt way she ends her books it just awakens your imagination.
Chimamanda is a little bit of everything,and still very thrilling.

Am not gonna mince words,have really enjoyed all her books and perhaps just maybe am blinded by so much admiration and love that it clouds my critical thinking. In all,you can't buh just marvel at how deluxe a writer she is.

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Danfuster(m): 9:15am On Jul 12, 2016
obaival:
Chilling with my beer

no pun intended but this is not a beer, it's stout. There is a huge gap between people of this black class and those of the green class #MyFavorite
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by kraftykc(m): 9:29am On Jul 12, 2016
Karanka:

The problem is that I refuse to agree to the idiotic idea that throwing away values is the answer to every problem in life. The lead characters in both the series and the novel have similar "awakenings" that sees them become more liberal and uninhibited with their previously held values. Don't get me wrong this isn't universally condemnable by any stretch but how these two in particular go about it is ratchet to the core. They do not try to evolve their previous characteristics to make themselves better people, no they simply discard the cloaks of responsibility and respect that society enforces on us all so we can live with ourselves just to satisfy so urges that they cannot affirm will last a lifetime. To tag this as growth is an insult to biology.

I think people keep underestimating the influence these programs can wield on societies if not they'd be more concerned about them. Piper is still NOT a confirmed lesbian but she engages in it with a gusto that says otherwise yet she emotionally blackmails her friend and fiance when they fall for each other in a saner and more understandable manner

I'm serious about not getting married and I will not lie, much of my stance is in defiance to what is passed as "normal" in these times.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Esdb3: 9:36am On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

I read Purple Hibiscus and it was alright. Started Half of a Yellow Sun and couldn't continue, I finished Americanah and wanted to strangle everyone who thought it "good"! It was pure shite! Terrible storyline with zero social impact to an actual Nigerian, horrible values being promoted and just a detestable lead character. I was thoroughly disappointed with the lead.

I so dislike her.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by kraftykc(m): 9:41am On Jul 12, 2016
uzolexis:

Just cos it's a women's prison doesn't mean it's empty feminism...what is it with some of you guys that brings about insecurity when some issue is mostly about women did you see spartacus, was there not a lot of s.ex in it as well, yet most pple liked it and it didn't think it was aimless but cos this series is basically about women it becomes aimless....i tire for una o lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If it'll make u feel better Spartacus was absolute Shite also.

I'd mention a good feminist show but the truth is they have nothing to prove with me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dotted Lines ... / What Book Are You Reading Now / HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.