Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:27 PM

Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black (20843 Views)

PHOTOS: Chimamanda Adichie Receives Honorary Degree From University Of London / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene / My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Cmiller(m): 9:45am On Jul 12, 2016
temptnow:
Kat.cr but you have to download vuze.com to your computer first.
Ndewo
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 12, 2016
temptnow:
check the top 5 comment I pasted the link there.

OK, thanks
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by dyadeleye(m): 10:10am On Jul 12, 2016
Kaycee7:
Purple Hibiscus is a good start.
Half of A Yellow Sun is not for the faint of heart.
I haven't finished Americanah yet but it's been interesting so far.

Where can I get all these books?
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Kaycee7(m): 10:22am On Jul 12, 2016
dyadeleye:

Where can I get all these books?
Do a google search for their pdf files.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by uzolexis(f): 10:29am On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

If it'll make u feel better Spartacus was absolute Shite also.

I'd mention a good feminist show but the truth is they have nothing to prove with me.

nothing seems to be good enough for you I see....

2 Likes

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by dyadeleye(m): 10:44am On Jul 12, 2016
Kaycee7:
Do a google search for their pdf files.

Thanks
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by beldad(f): 10:47am On Jul 12, 2016
hmmmmm
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by jclassiq(m): 10:49am On Jul 12, 2016
temptnow:
Really? do you people ever read before commenting? it says season 4 Episode 6 i downloaded the full season 4 complete.

Bros what's the site pls?
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by jclassiq(m): 11:12am On Jul 12, 2016
@Op, I see u are surprised that a book written by a Nigerian appeared in a foreign movie series. But do u know that the same movie series was actually INSPIRED by the true life story of an American woman who was arrested whilst transporting MONEY for a NIGERIAN DRUG BARON by the name of BURUJI KASHAMU?

And do u also know that the character "crazy eyes" was played by an IGBO woman by the name of Uzo Aduba?

Oga don't be surprised, ok? Nigerians are actually going places even if u don't know it.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I thought the lead character rather selfish, but then again, most everyone in Americanah is flawed in some way, including the lead character. I suspect the writer ultimately is rebelling against the idea of the ''pure and right'' hero or heroine, surrounded by a large group of incompetents that need saving.

On the plus side....lots of nostalgia in that book.(If you were an 80'S child).
For some strange reasons, that character reminds me of Linda ikeji. Not that Linda had broken any home though
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

I read Purple Hibiscus and it was alright. Started Half of a Yellow Sun and couldn't continue, I finished Americanah and wanted to strangle everyone who thought it "good"! It was pure shite! Terrible storyline with zero social impact to an actual Nigerian, horrible values being promoted and just a detestable lead character. I was thoroughly disappointed with the lead.
You are far from understanding literature then. You need a thorough study of Literature. Amaricanah is the best book written by her so far. None comes close.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Kaycee7(m): 11:48am On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

The problem is that I refuse to agree to the idiotic idea that throwing away values is the answer to every problem in life. The lead characters in both the series and the novel have similar "awakenings" that sees them become more liberal and uninhibited with their previously held values. Don't get me wrong this isn't universally condemnable by any stretch but how these two in particular go about it is ratchet to the core. They do not try to evolve their previous characteristics to make themselves better people, no they simply discard the cloaks of responsibility and respect that society enforces on us all so we can live with ourselves just to satisfy so urges that they cannot affirm will last a lifetime. To tag this as growth is an insult to biology.

I think people keep underestimating the influence these programs can wield on societies if not they'd be more concerned about them. Piper is still NOT a confirmed lesbian but she engages in it with a gusto that says otherwise yet she emotionally blackmails her friend and fiance when they fall for each other in a saner and more understandable manner

I'm serious about not getting married and I will not lie, much of my stance is in defiance to what is passed as "normal" in these times.

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 12, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I thought the lead character rather selfish, but then again, most everyone in Americanah is flawed in some way, including the lead character. I suspect the writer ultimately is rebelling against the idea of the ''pure and right'' hero or heroine, surrounded by a large group of incompetents that need saving.

On the plus side....lots of nostalgia in that book.(If you were an 80'S child).
Americanah flawed? Lol. Hero and Heroine? Take some lessons in literature then open the book again. That's the greatest fictional work written by an African on Immigration.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by KingRex1(m): 11:53am On Jul 12, 2016
HateU2:
mehn! I can't wait to see this oo. I love this woman as a writer and her personality. She's now in m favourite series shocked shocked! I can't wait!

How do u knw she's my mentor nd my favourite series
Magic tongue.. I know u babe.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by kraftykc(m): 12:08pm On Jul 12, 2016
Reyginus:
You are far from understanding literature then. You need a thorough study of Literature. Amaricanah is the best book written by her so far. None comes close.

You're right, apart from a Literature degree and years of working with a national daily, I have no experience with literature.

Saying its her best work is the strongest indictment of her overhype.

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by temptnow: 12:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
jclassiq:

Bros what's the site pls?
Kat.cr
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

You're right, apart from a Literature degree and years of working with a national daily, I have no experience with literature.

Saying its her best work is the strongest indictment of her overhype.
No, it's not. That's her greatest work so far. Writing for National dailies is not writing nonfiction or understanding it. Even some of our local mechanics understand the workings of machines more than some graduates of Mechanical Engineering.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2016
Crazy eyes is a Nigerian too, Uzo Aduba
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by ThinkWISELY(m): 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2016
And here comes the only 3 Nigerians I respect a lot,who greatly inspires me

Aunty Chimamanda
Baba NLA Star Boy and Egbon Seun of NL

But Egbon not having up to 4 million members for 10 years now is not really encouraging oo,even as popular as Facebook is they still advertise on other websites,abi this money don do you?,crazier forum are preparing to hit the online scene soon o,competition continues.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by ThinkWISELY(m): 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2016
Karanka:
@kraftykc: it's plain to see where the problem lies.
I mean,you read Purple Hibiscus,Half of a yellow sun,Americanah ( books that have won several awards) and you didn't think much of them. You even consider 'Orange is the new black' crappy? Really? A highly acclaimed movie in it's 6th season that has also won several major awards?
Dude,the problem isn't far from you.

Abeg help me tell em wella, I dey feel you jare.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by ifykem: 12:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
lol, you mean you don't read at all...

I do bt nt her books
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by ifykem: 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2016
Try her book Purple Hibiscus. Best seller. But u don't pick her books on roadsides easily yet. Reputable bookshops.

I will,thanks
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by kraftykc(m): 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
Reyginus:
No, it's not. That's her greatest work so far. Writing for National dailies is not writing nonfiction or understanding it. Even some of our local mechanics understand the workings of machines more than some graduates of Mechanical Engineering.

Hmm.

I've thought of it in that light. I think you're right. Next time I'll just think of a roadside mechanic when I consider Adichie.

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
Reyginus:
Americanah flawed? Lol. Hero and Heroine? Take some lessons in literature then open the book again. That's the greatest fictional work written by an African on Immigration.

Not the book, the characters in it.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
kraftykc:

Hmm.

I've thought of it in that light. I think you're right. Next time I'll just think of a roadside mechanic when I consider Adichie.
You should go ahead. Anything roadside.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Not the book, the characters in it.
How do you mean? Ifemelu, Ceiling who and why exactly?
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Alexbrain(m): 1:54pm On Jul 12, 2016
Karanka:
@kraftykc: it's plain to see where the problem lies.
I mean,you read Purple Hibiscus,Half of a yellow sun,Americanah ( books that have won several awards) and you didn't think much of them. You even consider 'Orange is the new black' crappy? Really? A highly acclaimed movie in it's 6th season that has also won several major awards?
Dude,the problem isn't far from you.

Bros na 4th season oh
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Illuminatus(m): 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
So Nigerians watch OITNB? You guys don't think its too gay? Lol.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by ChappyChase: 3:55pm On Jul 12, 2016
ifykem:
I neva read any of her book
And you still dey this plant?? Oya come do dey go Mars!
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by Icemany: 4:38pm On Jul 12, 2016
chiwetel:
Quite constructive.its funny how my views are the exact reverse of yours.
About the rich man and the Lagos boy,she really didn't have to delve into it was something an average Nigerian can relate to,so what she did was just suffice.

for the sex part,I think for an African writer, she's quite raw,you can't exactly say erotic.
I like the abrupt and unpredictable way she ends her books,its awakens your imagination.In all,chimamanda is a little bit of everything,and still very thrilling.

have read all her works, and maybe am blinded by so much admiration that it probably clouds my critical analysis, you just can't buh marvel on how deluxe a writer she is.

Nice perspective.
I think you are definitely blinded.

What i find most ironical about her style of write up is thatshe writes in a way that alienates the rest of the world,a style only a naija born can relate to.

And she is particularly fond of "university staff kid life stories"which i can relate to by the way.
But i wonder,how do the international community give her the awards when they can barely relate to her perspective...
That girl juju strong.......lol

1 Like

Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by chiwetel(f): 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Icemany:

Nice perspective.
I think you are definitely blinded.

What i find most ironical about her style of write up is thatshe writes in a way that alienates the rest of the world,a style only a naija born can relate to.

And she is particularly fond of "university staff kid life stories"which i can relate to by the way.
But i wonder,how do the international community give her the awards when they can barely relate to her perspective...
That girl juju strong.......lol
chai...its funny how ur kind would still criticise her if she neglects her roots.
ooh..so she should talk about Yankee high school abi
see eh..let me nuh even change it for you.she is an outstanding writer and we,her fans appreciate her.
Re: Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black by obaival(m): 5:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
Danfuster:

no pun intended but this is not a beer, it's stout. There is a huge gap between people of this black class and those of the green class #MyFavorite

Comfamento

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dotted Lines ... / What Book Are You Reading Now / HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.