Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,797 members, 7,798,698 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. (7255 Views)

Hey Our Dear Guys, Have You Started Uploading Your Deployment Letters? / 5 Practical Lessons For Every Nigerian Graduate. / Softwares To Help Write Job Application Letters And Business Plans Like A Pro.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2016
I have long wanted to start a conversational type of thread where job seekers and young career minded guys can come in to learn and discuss about the corporate world. Every time I look around this section what I see is beyond me and I've had the privilege of relating with very bright and brilliant minds on here. It saddens me though that I don't have the wherewithal to create a thread for vacancies but I am consoled seeing the many other threads by HRs and other well-meaning nairalanders who daily update threads with genuine adverts of which we can boast of a lot of beneficiaries of the beautiful sacrifice judging from the testimony of Joblanders weekly.

Reality is, not everyone of us can contribute in that measure but we can come in here to learn skills that are timeless which will prepare us for the journey or fast track our journey for those who already are on the rung of the ladder to becoming professionals in their fields.

The objective of this thread is to foster professional relationship not romantic relationship please grin, however if from professional convo it progresses to something ... wink, who am I to interrupt? cheesy, I will just give my blessing and the ride will continue. It's a series after all to promote 'soft skillset'.

So what are we waiting for!?
Come in and register your presence.

CAUTION: The forum is not as faceless as you think.
Be wary of posting your contact details.
Make do with PMs.
Thank you.

Journey with me as I take you on a ride to BUSINESS COMMUNICATION AVENUE! cheesy

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by davide470(m): 7:13pm On Jul 11, 2016
Yes, we are here!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 7:28pm On Jul 11, 2016
davide470:
Yes, we are here!
You are welcome.
Thanks for signing up. cheesy
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by yorex2011: 7:44pm On Jul 11, 2016
Prefer my backpack any day though

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by izutex007(m): 8:45pm On Jul 11, 2016
@OP you are spot on.

Leggo!!!!

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by karleone(m): 8:55pm On Jul 11, 2016
Je suis Karleone. Je suis ici pour apprendre
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 10:34pm On Jul 11, 2016
yorex2011:
Prefer my backpack any day though
Lol. Yorex I'll break your head with my biro ooo cheesy
You must carry a briefcase soon grin
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 10:41pm On Jul 11, 2016
izutex007:
@OP you are spot on.
Leggo!!!!
cheesy cheesy Thanks Izu.
Get ready to type all your words in full grin I'll be challenging every poster on this thread to do so cheesy
Ready for the challenge? I am!
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 10:45pm On Jul 11, 2016
karleone:
Je suis Karleone. Je suis ici pour apprendre
Wow!
My friends from Togo won't be left out after all cheesy

Merci Engr Karl.

Network is slow tonight. We'll start the show proper tomorrow.
Welcome on board!
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 11, 2016
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 8:14am On Jul 12, 2016
LastMumu:
undecided undecided undecided
Why do you look like you want to cry? cheesy Did someone beat you?
We are ready to tap from your briefcase. Welcome Sir.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by doctorfunmi: 8:27am On Jul 12, 2016
We are set...
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by jessysparkles(f): 8:31am On Jul 12, 2016
present

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 8:37am On Jul 12, 2016
doctorfunmi:
We are set...
cheesy cheesy cheesy I can tell, thanks for being set Dr.
In a few hours we will get the ball rolling on the avenue.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by tr3y(m): 9:51am On Jul 12, 2016
I don't do either, I will rather go for Ghana must go

filled with dollars of course.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Smoak: 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Following.... cool

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 3:38pm On Jul 12, 2016
It's been exactly 2 years, 9 months, 3 weeks and 6 days since I graduated from the prestigious Federal University of Technology, Nairaland. I was all smiles when I got my NYSC posting letter because I was miraculously posted to Lagos State. While in camp, I was the leader of number 6 platoon. I made friends with a few people even though my melancholic temperament got in the way a couple of times I tried initiating conversations because I suck at having to start convos, for I fear I may be ignored or worse still humiliated. How then was I able to lead my platoon members you ask? Simple! I possess choleric traits as well. So, it will be safe to say I'm a MelChlor.

Meet Audu, a fresh graduate from an indigenous University where he bagged a degree and two awards. He's a member of two professional bodies and has flair for programming but his oral and verbal English is just a little above average. Since the days of 2go, with him constantly chatting with friends and abbreviating words with the excessive use of slangs in communication, his communication skill crippled. He'd rather shorten the spelling of words than write them in full. This was the case with him while submitting CVs to companies locally and internationally.

Three months ago, he sent his CV to a professional contact he met on LinkedIn - a Human Resource Professional, after three weeks of not hearing from his contact he decided to send her a message. When she told him she was yet to receive his mail, he was somewhat disappointed. A few questions from the HR to ascertain whether or not he sent his CV to the right email address revealed why he had not heard from any of the companies he had been applying to all this while.

Let's look at the questions she asked him together and his responses also. It may reveal something to you.

* On what date did you send the mail? April 9.
* What was the subject of the mail? Uhm... no subject.
* Was it sent from your mail or from someone else's? 4m mi own, audu.badoo@gmail.com

That information was enough to know where the mail most likely was chilling - in the junk folder!
One sight at the mail after she scanned through her spam folder and she knew despite having a well formatted CV, he lacked finesse and didn't look 'ready' for the task ahead.

However, he was invited to her office for a chat on Wednesday.
Purpose of The Visit: To teach him how best to compose a professional email.

I believe out of that meeting something good will come out. I'm optimistic cheesy, I don't know about you.

Why have I not gotten an invite since I started applying for jobs online? angry
The answer isn't far-fetched. Let's look for it together.

How did you feel when your friends got an invite and you didn't?
How did you feel when after two months you heard nothing from your dream company even after meeting the criteria?

cry undecided cry

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by ooofreezy(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
Following u bumper to bumper... wink

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by wroskian(m): 5:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
Hmmm...Amicable09, "backpack to briefcase" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Emmaesty(f): 5:38pm On Jul 12, 2016
Amicable09 dear, there is an error in the spelling of briefcase. Please edit before it gets to fp.
Following but no experience to add sad sad
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
wroskian:
Hmmm...Amicable09, "backpack to briefcase" cheesy
Lol. I'm just seeing this!

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 5:53pm On Jul 12, 2016
Emmaesty:
Amicable09 dear, there is an error in the spelling of briefcase. Please edit before it gets to fp.
Following but no experience to add sad sad
Thanks sweetheart.
You've got a good eye! cheesy
I'll correct that typo right away. Thanks again.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Emmaesty(f): 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2016
amicable09:

Thanks sweetheart.
You've got a good eye! cheesy
I'll correct that typo right away. Thanks again.
You're welcome grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Dahveydson(m): 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2016
*grabs the next available seat*

I see the bosses are here already

LastMumu I doff my hat grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by yorex2011: 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
amicable09:

Lol.
Yorex I'll break your head with my biro ooo cheesy

You must carry a briefcase soon grin
You wan force me abi tongue
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 13, 2016
following

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Ferdyboss: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2016
I want to believe "Backpack to Briefcase" is actually figurative grin because some of us still use backpacks cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 8:44pm On Jul 13, 2016
yorex2011:
You wan force me abi tongue
cheesy cheesy cheesy
I will coarse you! tongue
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by ElDeeVee(m): 9:01pm On Jul 13, 2016
What's this thread for again

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Adesiji77: 9:04pm On Jul 13, 2016
Takes the next available seat... wink

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2016
Ferdyboss:

I want to believe "Backpack to Briefcase" is actually figurative grin because some of us still use backpacks cool

Ferdy the boss!
Na matter how deep your love for backpack is, we know where your briefcase is grin

You've got a point sha, it is figurative.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by karleone(m): 9:17pm On Jul 13, 2016
TollyB dear, do you care for a cup of pops (Pop corn), seems Amicable want to unravel a mystery?

Oga Ferdyboss, even though we're still used to the backpack swag, everyone desires a briefcase.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ndic Recruitment / Consolidated Hallmark Insurance PLC Job Recruitment / P&G West Africa Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.