Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. (7265 Views)

Hey Our Dear Guys, Have You Started Uploading Your Deployment Letters? / 5 Practical Lessons For Every Nigerian Graduate. / Softwares To Help Write Job Application Letters And Business Plans Like A Pro.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 9:19pm On Jul 13, 2016
Dahveydson:
*grabs the next available seat*
I see the bosses are here already
LastMumu I doff my hat grin
You are the boze, I'm the actor grin
Lastmumu is the director of this movie cheesy

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Jamean(f): 9:20pm On Jul 13, 2016
ElDeeVee:
What's this thread for again

In layman's terms: It's a thread to discuss useful tips for the transition from being a student to becoming a successful professional in your chosen career.

Okwiya? undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Jamean(f): 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2016
yorex2011:
Prefer my backpack any day though

I know you're aware that Otedola doesn't carry back pack grin
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 9:26pm On Jul 13, 2016
ElDeeVee:
What's this thread for again
Drop your backpack at the door Sir, we are handing out briefcases here. grin
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by ElDeeVee(m): 9:30pm On Jul 13, 2016
Jamean:

In layman's terms: It's a thread to discuss the transition from being a student to becoming a successful professional in your chosen career.

Okwiya? undecided

In Consulting, we call this definition fluffy undecided undecided

No offense milady
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 9:32pm On Jul 13, 2016
Jamean:

I know you're aware that Otedola doesn't carry bag pack grin
grin grin grin Jamean you hit the 24" nail right on the head!
Kudos cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Jamean(f): 9:34pm On Jul 13, 2016
ElDeeVee:

In Consulting, we call this definition fluffy undecided undecided

No offense milady

I just checked the meaning of fluffy. You know better, you didn't have to apologise. It's been hypocrite.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by izutex007(m): 11:48pm On Jul 13, 2016
amicable09:

cheesy cheesy
Thanks Izu.

Get ready to type all your words in full grin
I'll be challenging every poster on this thread to do so cheesy

Ready for the challenge?
I am!

I am.

#teamTypeinFull

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by ElDeeVee(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2016
Jamean:

I just checked the meaning of fluffy. You know better, you didn't have to apologise. It's been hypocrite.

Hahahahaha....it is what it is dear.

How's you
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by ElDeeVee(m): 6:51am On Jul 14, 2016
amicable09:

Drop your backpack at the door Sir, we are handing out briefcases here. grin

Ok OP....Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by yorex2011: 8:34am On Jul 14, 2016
Jamean:

I know you're aware that Otedola doesn't carry back pack grin

tongue
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 9:10am On Jul 14, 2016
Kuphreh, I don't think I will like this thread to take the shape you have just introduced.
I'll overlook it this one time but I won't if you repeat it.
Create a different thread for commission based work. It takes equal amount of energy to post there as you've done here.

Thanks.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 10:09am On Jul 14, 2016
Sitting comfortably in her high rocking armchair while thinking to herself at the level of well crafted laziness exhibited by a young graduate. She couldn't think of any other reason on planet earth why a graduate with a good degree in this 21st century business world will be unable to compose a catchy mail. Had she not known him 'directly' she would have discarded his email because it was fit only for one place... The thrash can folder. Just Like many before him, she never hesitated to ignore their CVs while moving on to better composed ones.

But today, in her office she has only one thing on her mind, to expose Audu to the realities on ground. The corporate world is not for those who are too lazy to communicate clearly. Articulation is important in communication. Nobody is going to enter inside of you to get the thoughts, words, ideas or whatever out. If you can't express yourself in writing, mind you, not writing 250 word essay but writing a few lines or paragraphs introducing you! Getting a beautifully designed copy and paste CV trills no one, worse of all, gives your email no attention. Not even the Head of Human Resource, JobLand Consult International, Mrs. Alabi will give it a second look.

Audu woke up feeling rejuvenated. He spent the whole Tuesday rehearsing in front of the mirror likely answers to some of job interview most asked questions. He even surfed the net for answers, cramming most of them. He liked the way Jarus introduced himself in one of his write-ups for Shell's Assessment day tips. He brought out his notepad and copied out the words, he planned on saying it verbatim. The look on his face in the mirror resembled that of Frank Donga though, he couldn't tell why. Was he nervous or something? He has been working on his shyness for months now, in fact, he has a progress diary where he puts in daily update and looking at what he's done so far, it won't be out of place to say he's overcome shyness by 45%. But how can he know if he doesn't go for the chat today and slay the 'interview'.

Interview?
Who even said he was going for an interview? Is this not a case of putting the cart before the horse? Ideally, he should get an invite for an aptitude test first before the other three stages of the recruitment process will fall in. It is Jobland Consult after all! A subsidiary of an American multinational company.

Anyway, protocols can always be broken when you know someone that knows someone at the top or in this case when you know the 'top' madam already anything is possible. So Audu prepared himself and ran straight to the Ghana-must-go bag where he stores his clothes. On opening the bag and pulling out his only whitish grey shirt, he realized it was rumpled. He was relying on PHCN to restore power since 2 am they turned off whatever switch they turn off to put the citizens of Nairaland in darkness but up until this morning no show. In anger he brought out his blue polo and dirty jeans trousers, he'd wear it with his sneakers, unfortunately his only belt was lent to his best friend, Emeka who he met in camp (now into importation business) to wear last week. There was no way he will get a belt this morning, nonchalantly he shrugged his shoulders and began dressing up.

All Roads lead to Victoria Island!
Let's board a danfo together wink

What does this meeting mean to you?
I have a feeling it will pan out well. What feeling have you?

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 14, 2016
thanks dear......amicable09 great job,love...have been off for a while...
karleone:
TollyB dear, do you care for a cup of pops (Pop corn), seems Amicable want to unravel a mystery?

Oga Ferdyboss, even though we're still used to the backpack swag, everyone desires a briefcase.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Ferdyboss: 11:19am On Jul 14, 2016
Amicable09, this your story is now looking like a book you are planning to publish grin
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 11:29am On Jul 14, 2016
tollyB:
thanks dear......amicable09 great job,love...have been off for a while...
You are welcome back cheesy
Hope the going is good?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 11:32am On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss:
Amicable09, this your story is now looking like a book you are planning to publish grin
Lol. Ferdy putting ideas in my head since the days of Job in the bible grin

I am surprised at what I'm doing sef, the plan was to write some tips not a story. Let's see how it goes. Get ready to take over from me if I get stuck cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Ferdyboss: 11:36am On Jul 14, 2016
Anyways, career wise, I have a question for graduate Engineers who are not practicing Engineering. Do you feel this is fate panning out or you believe It's better to continue at whatever "newly found" career route you are already trailing whilst you cave a niche for yourself? After years of not getting what you want, How has your pursuit for greatness and career relevance been?

Do you consider fulfillment or you prefer "making money" regardless of the far less than Engineering career you currently find yourself in ?.

Has not getting your desired role affected your performance in your current career path?

Nice day holding that briefcase grin

As for me, I prefer to hold my toolkit while someone else holds my briefcase as we walk along cool

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by amicable09(f): 11:42am On Jul 14, 2016
Wow! Wow! Wow! Ferdy you are the boss! cheesy Now I'm loving this thread grin

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Ferdyboss: 11:42am On Jul 14, 2016
amicable09:

Lol. Ferdy putting ideas in my head since the days of Job in the bible grin

I am surprised at what I'm doing sef, the plan was to write some tips not a story. Let's see how it goes. Get ready to take over from me if I get stuck cheesy

Be ready to expand and contract with ideas per time wink

1 Like

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Jamean(f): 11:43am On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss:
Anyways, career wise, I have a question for graduate Engineers who are not practicing Engineering. Do you feel this is fate panning out or you believe It's better to continue at whatever "newly found" career route you are already trailing whilst you cave a niche for yourself? After years of not getting what you want, How has your pursuit for greatness and career relevance been?

Do you consider fulfillment or you prefer "making money" regardless of the far less than Engineering career you currently find yourself in ?.

Has not getting your desired role affected your performance in your current career path?

As for me, I prefer to hold my toolkit while someone else holds my briefcase as we walk along cool

Thanks for bringing this up, thought about it as well. Not only for Engineering graduates but other professional courses as well.

Davide470, Therealadonye & Adeaks please can you discuss about this. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Jamean(f): 12:01pm On Jul 14, 2016
I will like us to also take cognisance of another event. Thus, you study a particular course and you got employment in that line and everything seems falling in place. But you're realising that your interests are changing in line with other subtle abilities and by-products of your current job.

Now let me be particular. I studied accounting and currenItly in practice. I'm participating in the qualifying exams to become a chartered accountant. But then, within 2years of practice I've realised my interest is changing and I will get bored very soon.

In a nutshell, I don't want to practice as an accountant for too long and ICAN is the last pure accounting course I will do. I want to go legal with a touch of sciences.

What's your take on this?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Udochee(m): 12:34pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss:

Do you consider fulfillment or you prefer "making money"
nice point boss.speaking personally now, it's really been difficult trying to get a job.the truth is most engineering graduates are motivated to get technical/core engineering jobs that will keep their brains & hands busy. most of my friends that also studied engineering are in the banks now, some into teaching, some MSc pursuit,some got engineering jobs. at a point in time we all had hopes of landing a cool engineering job(vis-a-vis our various departments) immediately after school but with the way things are now its an anywhere belle face scenario now.but i will prefer fulfillment than making money...in one job interview i had,i got into a discussion with one of the panel members & she opened up to me saying she actually studied engineering as well but now she's into human resource/personnel management (what more can i say)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Udochee(m): 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
amicable09
so amy this is what you've been cooking all this while, nice one babe...i foresee alot of lessons & experience to be learnt across all disciplines

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by karleone(m): 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss:

The condition/situation of the country has made us take decisions we never foresaw [like dangling into a new career other than that which we've set out to flourish in]. Sometimes it's fate, often times it isn't. One can never tell. But we should remember that no man can decide tomorrow. Only God!

He is said to have lived a fulfilled life that person who has lived out, without fault, the rule of life he set out for his daily living. Fulfillment lies in finding joy in the least you do; not minding how little it brings. Though in our country, money is the key thing.
As a Jay Oh Bee seeker, I've come to realize that nothing beats finding happiness in one's job (It's just conditions that make us switch paths).
Just as that road side seller smiles at her profit after a successful sales day [after due checks & balnces], so also are we to when we desire to classify our jobs fulfilling. Believe me, there's nothing that brings more joy than finding yourself doing that which you've learnt all through the university years; working in accordance to those trainings you've undergone. Yes, making money is cool, it could lead to becoming a billionaire, which is lovely, but in the end, will you say you achieved that dream (not talking of dream of becoming rich)? No! So I'd consider fulfillment; though I'm still open to holding on to something else for upkeep sake.

Lol

My lil cent
I'm here to learn

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by tolutweety(m): 4:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss:

Now you are going to make me type . undecided

Typing... undecided

In jamean's voice ~watch this space~

2 Likes

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by davide470(m): 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2016
Jamean:
I will like us to also take cognisance of another event. Thus, you study a particular course and you got employment in that line and everything seems falling in place. But you're realising that your interests are changing in line with other subtle abilities and by-products of your current job.

Now let me be particular. I studied accounting and currenItly in practice. I'm participating in the qualifying exams to become a chartered accountant. But then, within 2years of practice I've realised my interest is changing and I will get bored very soon.

In a nutshell, I don't want to practice as an accountant for too long and ICAN is the last pure accounting course I will do. I want to go legal with a touch of sciences.

"First degree" does not translate to what you will be, it is just to broaden your intellectual mind to the possibilities of an higher learning and give you a skill set to build on. Also, your interests didn't change per se, it just got clearer.

Then again, the highlighted is quite confusing..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by cc150615(f): 4:42pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss lemme correct you in case you're implying that fulfilment = working in the line of the course you study...I'll state 2 scenarios
1.) Let's say I studied engineering but after I couldn't get a job I picked up an audit job and after one year I find out dt I'm really enjoying the job like I enjoy auditing nd all the plenty numbers, maybe luckily the firm I'm working is a good one with good staff welfare, career growth and all those things we want in an employment...won't you say I'm more fulfilled than a fellow colleague who maybe got a job in an engineering firm but somehow there are many circumstances around the job dt doesn't make my friend happy even tho he may be making same amount of money with me or even more ( curled from a true life experience
2.) The second scenario is maybe I even studied dt particular course cos dt was wat Uniben dashed me nd then still got a job in another line because that was what the job market dashed me but now I'm enjoying what the job market dashed me....
Bottomline is just to find a job dt gives you the real inner fulfilment, I understand that the job market isn't fair nd many times we take anyone dt comes but in the 21st century if you had to take a job u don't like and you still remain there grumbling about that job for over 5 years then I put it to you that you don't know what you're doing
Fulfilment in my words is doing a job that you love and you enjoy and dt fulfils your dreams of a job, either along your course of study or not and dt explains why you see someone going to study law after an MBBS, cos maybe he just realised he's more interested in that or his interest has changed over time.
Lemme stop there before they say cc is talking too much

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Dahveydson(m): 5:03pm On Jul 14, 2016
Jamean:

If you have the adequate will and determination to pursue a totally different path, then don't delay, start when the fire is still burning, but I must warn, it's not a jolly path.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by Fkforyou(m): 5:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
amicable09:
cheesy cheesy cheesy I can tell, thanks for being set Dr.
In a few hours we will get the ball rolling on the avenue.
Hello, longtime.
Let me follow this train...it seems it has prospects.
Re: Backpack To Briefcase Series: Letters and Lessons from a Corporate Desk. by yorex2011: 5:55pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ferdyboss:

How I long to practice engineering.
But I've come to the realization that engineering is a mindset, a mindset for finding solutions to problems, of enjoying the thrill of a problem and brainstorming for a solution.
Such an awesome feeling. Currently I'm into the "soft" side of technology, with the hopes that soon i will find that pointof iintersection, that clash of the titans... Atomic fussion if you may that foster a world changing idea..
Of course by then, work becomes play..

Still not dropping my backpack tho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Vacancy - Betting Shop Cashiers [Alaba] / Consolidated Hallmark Insurance PLC Job Recruitment / Resolving Issues With Bank Account Details On Npower.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.