Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

How Reliable Are BMW Cars? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are BMW Cars? (64032 Views)

How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? / How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? / How Reliable Are Mazda Cars? For A Frequent Traveller. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by AmenaD(f): 2:30pm On Dec 06, 2009
Hi All,

This is perfect. I'm doing an assignment on international marketing, and I chose to market to Nigeria.

I'm focusing on Jaguar as the brand I'd like to introduce as the new luxury car (i.e BMW, Audi and Mercedes) interestingly enough even cars that are not considered luxury (generally) have been mentioned here.

Jaguar is one of the leading luxury cars all over the world with a high reputation of providing premier manufacturers of luxury sports saloons and sports cars (just as the others do).

Bearing in mind that most Nigerians have a culture of conspicuous consumption, embarassed i chose this brand.

My question now is; What are your perceptions of the Jaguar cars and also what other major problems would the Jaguar brand face if it was introduced as a luxury brand in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by 1forall: 8:20am On Dec 07, 2009
amenaD the content of your post tells me you should start it off as a new topic here in the autos section

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by AmenaD(f): 10:28am On Dec 07, 2009
OK Thanx for that, will do.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Khairi: 11:27pm On Feb 11, 2010
Big
Money
Wasted

Bob
Marley and the
Wailers

Breaking
My
Wallet

If you want to get a BMW, go for the ones that were made recently ie from 2000-date and always accalerate gently and drive all cars with care for the car and for yourself, but if you drive a BeeMa carelessly, your wallet will pay for it and BMW parts are always original that is why they are expensive.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by michaelala(m): 6:08pm On May 13, 2010
BMWs are not everyday cars for everybody, they are for peop0le that communicate with there cars and know how they feel. Trust me on that.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by kabukabu(m): 7:01pm On May 13, 2010
The posting is an Oxymoron if you ask me,BMW's are not reliable period,the only folks who think that are obvious Bimmer fanboys who spend their lives fantasizing in Gran Turismo Video games.They give you performance and some luxury,thats it, not reliability.BMWs depreciate worse than any other Luxury brand except Jaguar.

The best way to determine a brands reliability is to observe how many you see on the road that are 10 to 20 plus years old,in great condition, not mobile death traps, you'll find most Japanese brands and Mercs, but you wont find any BMW's above 200,000 miles, in good condition.In every country all over the world,same story.

Not to deter from their obvious strength,they offer great performance, i.e.the E30's,E 34 M5's,E 46 M3's and E 60 M5's,great handling and race bred heritage, but it would be incredibly stupid to buy one,in hopes of it lasting a great deal,they are not built to take beatings period,if you have questionable wallets,its a waste of time.

I owned one of the E34 525i's which utterly fell apart after its Nikasil engine blew up,which was especially problematic on those models with the V8's in the 90's.electronics fail at will,and they still do, Car and Driver magazine does still rate them high on perfomance, but not reliability and these days you can get great value buying something similar for cheaper, for example instead of a new M5 ,compare the Cadillac CTS V, which is faster by far,cheaper and as luxuriously equipped, instead of a new M3, compare Mistubishi lancer evo or Audi rs4,as fast with four doors and bigger boot, cheaper also.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by kabukabu(m): 7:16pm On May 13, 2010
Its really quite stupid to compare the relibility of Honda to BMW??/Really?
I live in the US,you can get beat up 90's BMWs all over for a couple of thousand dollars,i'm talking cars that retailed close to $90,000 brand new, nobody wants them,but put the same years Honda(any model)for sale,regardless of mileage and people will blow up your phone, Nigerians really are blinded by ostentatious things.

Hondas/Toyotas and Nissans are eaily more reliable,parts cheaper and more available,better gas mileage and talking about performance for the thousands you can spend on fixing up a beat up BMW,you can get a sporty Accord,Prelude or Civic,drop it,swap engines and build suspension that will outrun and outcorner those BMWS,not to mention the legendary Toyota Supra that still beats up M3's at the race tracks and dragstrips even though it has not been built since 1998.

Get a grip BMW trolls

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Strinsky: 12:49pm On May 15, 2010
BMW! BMW!! BMW!!! IS THE BEST THINGS THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO OUR WOLRD. IT'S EVERYTHING YOU CAN EVER DREAM OF IN A CAR.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by kwattum: 1:33am On Jun 23, 2010
BMW are good car and runs great i have a BMW for sale that is well maintain and i give you assurance on it
Attached are pix of the car

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by obojo(m): 5:03am On Aug 06, 2010
if u can afford to buy it , u can afford to maintain it and vice versa,

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by imhsar(f): 6:52am On Aug 11, 2010
i heard all the positive things about it , but didn't used it until now, don't have so much idea
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by chelseabmw(m): 2:00am On Sep 05, 2010
BMW DA BEST. . . .BUT I VE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH TOYOTA

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by BEEMERFAN(m): 12:00pm On Feb 12, 2011
Hi all, Im based in Abuja and can offer a few hint as to where and how BMW parts can be accessed here in Abuja, I own a 540i e39, and yes! I can recommend it for anyone interested in driving a high powered vehicle any day. Maintenance and spare parts could be a little high, but its worth all the dime anyway. Im about to buy the same model in a couple of days and shall have my former one on offer, not on direct sale but to get the parts butchered. So, if you are in need of BMW E39, 540i parts, just holla. adams2eve2002@yahoo.com.
Reason for changing the car---Got a very good one for 1.3m, owned by a Rev Father, thats to tell you its been in good hands. All accesories intact, intact and fine interior, all buttons functioning, TV, Navigation system, ETC. Mine also functions but have lost the polish, but good engine (V8), INTACT GEAR BOX, etc.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Trac: 2:02am On Apr 15, 2011
BMW's are not reliable. BMW is not at par with Mercedes or VW. Isolating accessories, the engineering is a lot generic when you compare it with a Merc in all approaches (combustion, suspension and other aspects that I can't think of right now). The setup from plant makes it seem as an unique standard that other cars should seek after but it's just tactic. You can make a setup of whatever you desire if you understand how -- let alone do it.

The 3 Series are the worst of them all.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by jbyno: 11:52pm On Nov 29, 2011
Are BMWs good for long distance drives? specifically, the X5s?
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 30, 2011
jbyno:

Are BMWs good for long distance drives? specifically, the X5s?

Yes, they are.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Seun(m): 11:47pm On Jun 18, 2012
So in short, BMW cars are horrible?
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by mishooo(m): 1:43pm On Jun 19, 2012
kabukabu:

The best way to determine a brands reliability is to observe how many you see on the road that are 10 to 20 plus years old,in great condition, not mobile death traps, you'll find most Japanese brands and Mercs, but you wont find any BMW's above 200,000 miles, in good condition.In every country all over the world,same story.

Pls if you are not sure of something, don't ALWAYS say it with such boldness cos smart people will look at you as if you are not informed. Go to BMW forums and you will be surprised. I presently drive a 5 series that is almost 300,000 in mileage. I was surprised when i saw a VW Bug that was above 500,000mileage on VWforum. ANY CAR can get to any mileage, it depends on handling.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by yungboss(m): 5:59am On Jun 21, 2012
mishooo:

Pls if you are not sure of something, don't ALWAYS say it with such boldness cos smart people will look at you as if you are not informed. Go to BMW forums and you will be surprised. I presently drive a 5 series that is almost 300,000 in mileage. I was surprised when i saw a VW Bug that was above 500,000mileage on VWforum. ANY CAR can get to any mileage, it depends on handling.
well articulated bro. I own an e36 1994... Got it sometime last year, i haven't had no issues at all with it. Only changed the shocks cos i use it to travel on ph/warri road alot and roads in ph aren't in d best of shape...someone said the 3 series are worse, thats no true. Bmws are reliable
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by John317: 10:00am On Mar 06, 2013
obijack: @Logoman,

The only defective thing about a BMW is the Fuel Economy Rating (especially for the older models)

I presently drive a 1989 325ix (the IX means 4 wheel drive) although I had to remove the front shaft and converted the front to normal E30. I bought the car in October 2006 for N120,000. (You may think it is junk). I had to put in another N80,000 for body work and overhaulling of the Engine by a competent BMW mechanic at Ladipo.

To date after 2 years I still own the car, I have spent about 310,000 in both maintenance and repairs including the cost of converting the front wheels to Normal E30.

The car is reliable,Parts are relatively cheap. Last week I had to change the two front shocks with brand new ones (shaft only) for N6,500.00 (SACS brand), Tyrod N3000, Ball Joints 3700 and Labour about N4000.

What I am driving at here is that this is a type of replacement that is done probably once in 12 months or once in 18 months or even 2 years. Although I do not drive much around town as my office is closer to my house, on long travel and on the highway, I always have this feeling of being very safe in the car knowing it will never just suddenly stop unlike what my previous Honda prelude had done a couple of times.

Every car is good but reliability, safety, comfort and don't forget prestige is another thing. The sound of the engine alone is awesome. Once you've driven and heard the sound of the engine roaring, you will never want to let it go. Drive another car and try to listen for that engine sound if you can hear it.

The thing on Fuel is this. The bigger the engine, the better the performance and the more fuel needed. The 3 series range is easy to choose from unlike the 5 series that is strickly 6 cylinders. The lowest is the 316 as erico analysed 3 means 3 series, 16 means 1.6 litres. Other are 318, 320, 325, 325ix, 330, etc.

Furthermore, a 1996 Honda Accord (Bull Dog) hand an MPG of 24 miles, while a 1996 318 (e36) has an MPG of 23. The difference is just 1 mile. Where the Bimmer can go and come back, the Accord will have a heart transplant after it.

Nigeria is so good that you will be presented with the prices for the original and substandard parts. The choice is always yours to make and identifying them is not a problem.

If you live in Lagos and need a good Mechanic, just drive down to Ladipo. Any part seller will recommend a good mechanic for you. All you have to do is just call him and he will come and pick up your car.

BM forever.

Forget Niga roads.

If the car is not good pple will not be falling over one another to own it.

It is a machine, not a toy like those Japanese.

Good luck.

Peter.

Hello, about to buy a 2006 535. Pls send me your mechanic's number. Need him to accompany me to carry out some checks on the ride. kunle_owo40@yahoo.com.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by kennieO: 2:26pm On Jun 05, 2013
To get the best out of ur beamer, join us @ www.bmwclubng.com. everyone is welcome - join the club. dont forget to like the face book page.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by peterjero(m): 9:26pm On Aug 24, 2013
german007: "Most German cars will exceed 500,000 miles"

Well said sienna. This is something Iv been preaching and laying emphasis on. Have I ever seen a toyota reach 220k miles?.Dont think so.

I have driven litterally every series of bmw, even back to the 1995 BMW 850CSi coupe (which perhaps a lot of people dont know of), but it was of the most powerful bmw's ever made.

I drove a Le mans blue bmw x5 4.6 for two years, Yes you heard right sienna"BMW X5 4.6 ", lol . A huge gas guzzler I must say, but was a pleasurable driving experience. Gave me the best euphoric and exciting feeling ever. Mileage reached 220k miles when I sold it off and it still drove like brand new.
My toyota camry (1989)is 293412km as at today , toyota is largest car company today isn't by design but their quality speaks volume of their demand. I drove bmw for two years and was shouting this car is awesome until I started the toyota thing and my views changed about automobiles completely. Toyota is a utility car that get the job done tell me any house that uses cars that don't know toyotas are every where from buses, to trucks , sedans, suvs, crossovers you name it and they are all reliable where is bmw in d picture. They are good to drive but its that all.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by scopio2005: 2:31pm On Jun 28, 2015
Bmw cars are the most reliable cars ever... If its faulty and you don't turn off the ignition, it will get u where ever u want to go...suspensions are great... Good gas milleage...I av used and driven several BMW cars... There is no other better vehicle with its driving experience.
If you not driven one you haven't driven at all..

My present machine

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by mediclife1987(m): 9:49am On Sep 29, 2019
tipsy289:
The truth is that u probably going for a second hand BMW from 1987-1996(am sure) that's why they complainin is problematic.Really look at the new models do they seem to be problematic, BMW is no joke men

Can the 2006 3series model be classified among the new models?
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by patfemy06: 10:11am On Sep 29, 2019
culasi:
@ CHIDIBE.

If you plan to drive a BMW you better have some cash in your pocket. True they are very reliable cars but once they start having problems you have to pay alot of money to fix it. Remember, BMW's are Luxury cars. So if you choose to buy one you must be willing to spend some money. Goodluck.
You are wrong.BMW car parts are the same with other cars and even some parts are cheaper.have been using BMW for 7 years now.it has never failed me once.am in number 3 presently.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 29, 2019
patfemy06:

You are wrong.BMW car parts are the same with other cars and even some parts are cheaper.have been using BMW for 7 years now.it has never failed me once.am in number 3 presently.
Great
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Gracesofar(m): 11:58am On Sep 29, 2019
waleleader:
i dont know a thing about cars, but BMW makes some wicked cars. i'd buy one no matter the problems, even if its only for one day. Live life to the fullest bro, do what u wanna do.

Lol... Used to love BMW before.. Perhaps when you are ready to buy one you will read more about the car and change your mind. I love your spirit bro..... LOVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Gracesofar(m): 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2019
lordimpaq:
BMW is the ultimate driving machine,

it hardly gets engine problem, people say that BMs always consume fulel but i'm sorry to say not all BMs consume fuel,

the BMW 328 1995 has a MPG of 35, that is higher than an Honda accord 1992, with MPG of 30,

the newer ones are even more fuel efficient, funny enough its only the sporty BMW cars that consume 25 MPG, and an acceleration of 8 seconds from 0 to 100km, !!! that is crazy, believe me, the 1995 BMW 325i coupe does that, its even faster than 2004 3 series,

well its the nigerian road that causes the parts problem in a BMW especially the suspension, damn, !! those things are expensive,

but engine perfomance is the best,

The best cars in the world is only BMW,

BM 4 ever

Are all this from experience...
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Gracesofar(m): 12:01pm On Sep 29, 2019
funkybaby:
nah! bmw cars aint reliable. they are just fancy thats all ! why not go for a toyota brand.bmw cars have engine problems and you have problems with gear box too. if you do not like toyota cars, then settle for honda. money is hard to come buy these days so do not spend your money on a car that will give you loads of headaches, only if you are a money bag, whatever decision you take, i wish you the very best !

A lady who loves cars and knows about cars.... Wow am impressed....
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 29, 2019
BMW are more reliable than Mercedes. And they have cheaper parts in Nigeria than Mercedes. Buy any of the E series. Leave the latest models because we still don't understand the engineering well. I have used both cars at the same period, and also different period. This is not beer parlor gist.

Please if you don't have an idea of parts' price of both cars, don't quote me. I want practicality not hearsay.

BMW parts are even slightly cheaper than Lexus parts in Lagos parts market. I repaired a client's 2004 RX330, drove it for 7 weeks before i finally sold it. The x5 of same year parts are cheaper. From engine to gear box to the suspension.
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
funkybaby:
nah! bmw cars aint reliable. they are just fancy thats all ! why not go for a toyota brand.bmw cars have engine problems and you have problems with gear box too. if you do not like toyota cars, then settle for honda. money is hard to come buy these days so do not spend your money on a car that will give you loads of headaches, only if you are a money bag, whatever decision you take, i wish you the very best !

Where did you hear all you wrote?
Re: How Reliable Are BMW Cars? by NokiaN8(m): 10:46am On Sep 30, 2019
Which is better BMW E36(1996) and a Mercedes C240? advise needed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Added External Air Conditioner And Generator To His Car / Container Falls, Kills All Occupants Of Bus / Anthony Obinna Okafor Who Built Solar-powered Tricycle In 21 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.