Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:57 PM

Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? (20251 Views)

I Almost Lost My Marriage Over ‘april Fool’ Prank –woman / Man Ends 22-year-old Marriage Over Wife’s Trousers / Wife Seeks Dissolution Of 14-year Marriage Over Excessive Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Heavance(m): 12:57am On Jul 13, 2016
These people choosing haven't faced what's up yet, its easier for them to shout marriage...... when the hardship of naija, or the challenge of life handles you, you will realize you must choose the two (meaning you must find a way to balance it)
A good marriage, leaving your career will make you spite your partner in frustration. A good career without a good marriage will make leaving work so sad during the closing time. For the men, choosing their career over marriage will still make the marriage work somehow, (when there is money, your wife will call you daddy o)
But to the woman, she is faced with the challenge of multi tasking, she must balance it up, which is challenging, and could drive her crazy.

Those of you choosing marriage, shey na garri them go dey chop only, with the troubled economy? even couples working are not finding it easy, talk less of just the husband alone working

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Seventeen(f): 1:14am On Jul 13, 2016
Cutehector:
please show me where in my post I directed the question to the ladies and not d guys..
bros u didn't need to specify.. Naturally only women are expected to have that option. "Choose ur career or ur duties as a wife."

The man who gives up his career for a 'good marriage', wetin eem family go de chop? Shebi na 'happiness'? cheesy

Am not bashishg ur thread oo. Just making my own 'heartest of heart' contributions (like my daughter will say). smiley

2 Likes

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by cococandy(f): 3:23am On Jul 13, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Feminist and misandrist will choose career
'meninist' and misogynists will choose career too I guess.
Or it only applies to women because we are the ones who aren't supposed to have a life outside marriage?

Dane.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by cococandy(f): 3:26am On Jul 13, 2016
Nothing tough in this question.
Gonna have both.
It takes two to tango.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by DollyParton1(f): 3:36am On Jul 13, 2016
GoodBoi1:
All these women with degrees, are you saying you can't give 5 years to raising kids then you resume your career?
Where does it take only 5 years to raise a kid?

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by DedeNkem: 4:27am On Jul 13, 2016
If you want happiness, do both.

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Cutehector(m): 6:17am On Jul 13, 2016
Seventeen:
bros u didn't need to specify.. Naturally only women are expected to have that option. "Choose ur career or ur duties as a wife."

The man who gives up his career for a 'good marriage', wetin eem family go de chop? Shebi na 'happiness'? cheesy

Am not bashishg ur thread oo. Just making my own 'heartest of heart' contributions (like my daughter will say). smiley
alryt dear, I understand now. Also respect ur decision as well.

Some men where choosing good marriage, some career, the ladies didn't bash dem lool., either ways, they were happy at their choice. Lwkmd.

Dats dat.

Please can u vote for falconey in the upcoming mr nairaland voting competition?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by uzolexis(f): 6:21am On Jul 13, 2016
GoodBoi1:
All these women with degrees, are you saying you can't give 5 years to raising kids then you resume your career?

but why can't you do both, raise your kids and pursue your career. It's possible you know, if you have an understanding and supportive husband, raising kids should be a joint effort of the couple not the woman alone.

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by smogup: 6:33am On Jul 13, 2016
eph12:

Who/what do you spend the money on?
See Jamb question o

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by GoodBoi1(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2016
uzolexis:

but why can't you do both, raise your kids and pursue your career. It's possible you know, if you have an understanding and supportive husband, raising kids should be a joint effort of the couple not the woman alone.
T3Amo:

Unfortunately in the real world anybody who takes 5years off is committing career suicide. Things are constantly changing as well.

Let me ask you this question. Would you go to a Dr who has not practiced in 5years for a surgery or the one who has been in practice. Would you go to a mechanic who has not fixed any cars in 5years. Would you trust an accountant who has not looked at anything accounting related in 5years? Would you hire someone who has been unemployed for 5years versus someone who has been in the sector for long? Am sure you get the drift now.
DollyParton1:

Where does it take only 5 years to raise a kid?
The idea is that in 5 years you can wean 2-3 children off breast milk then fully focus on your career. One way or another you will still have to sacrifice something.
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by uzolexis(f): 7:18am On Jul 13, 2016
GoodBoi1:
The idea is that in 5 years you can wean 2-3 children off breast milk then fully focus on your career. One way or another you will still have to sacrifice something.
of course there has to be sacrifice but it should be from both parties in the marriage not the woman alone, the woman does not have to sacrifice her career. Together with her husband they can plan a schedule that works for the family...you see raising kids is the responsiblity of both of them.

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 13, 2016
naijamakossa:
you only have problems in your marriage when you as a man has a wife competing with you each day.
I am not against the freedoms our wives are asking now,both of us can't be too busy
what we refuse to understand is no matter what,,,,,,,,, wives are expert in home affairs,thus keeping good homes ,so when that woman who is expected to put her home in order begin to wear same trousers with the man my people things Will likely fall apart imagine husband and wife travelin to a business trip at the same time impossible,
the worst thing I will do to my unborn kids is to leave them in the hands of a stranger probably a housemaid without the presence of my wife is what I won't welcome in my family.

so to avoid this marriage crisis both husband and wife should know their responsibility to make peace reign in their marriage.

YOU'RE NOT IN TOUCH WITH THE QUESTION

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by dasanchez1(m): 7:53am On Jul 13, 2016
eph12:

cheesy grin
Really? I have always had that ideology and I strongly believe in it. Thanks bro. How have you been?

I'm fine boss.....

nice ideology gan

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by dasanchez1(m): 7:54am On Jul 13, 2016
ginajet:
did the advert work? Oh am sure it worked because you noticed... Thanks Boss... Counting on your vote for Falconey wink wink

Lol...

No problem

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by hebenezher(m): 8:14am On Jul 13, 2016
PushPlay:

I find the bolded amusing...I don't want to dwell on it too much but doesn't speak well of your level of intelligence.
lmao
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by eph12(m): 9:01am On Jul 13, 2016
smogup:
See Jamb question o
Shebi u no be olodo na. You want to make money and not bother about family. You and who go come enjoy the money? Friends?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by dasparrow: 9:37am On Jul 13, 2016
Teagirl:
am looking for an unlike bottom, so the only place she is permitted to succeed is in the kitchen ? Why you go about chasing women with your money intoxicated self .They tell you to dream but don't dream too big ,we all desire a good marriage but are couples still keeping the marriage Val's ? After all my education I should come beg for money before I buy undies . am going to succeed, I will push my self to the Zenith and if you have a problem with that as a man you take a walk. I will be very rich so any man with low self esteem won't like me. Any wise woman will look for how to balance career and marriage.

Precisely!

@Post

My mom who is a widow did both and today after much hard work she owns real estate properties and is a school proprietress as well. We her children are all grown up now and working as well. It is not wise for a woman to quit her job because should her husband suddenly die, she is toast. No wonder you see so many wretched looking widows all around Nigeria because they depended so much on their husbands' finances and when the husband suddenly departed this world, they had to pick up the pieces of their lives and find a way to fend for all the children they bore.

Its better a lady becomes a teacher than just sit at home doing nothing. If my mother could balance both family (4 kids) and career successfully back in the day, then I see no reason why women in this generation can't. Nigerian-bred men on average don't live long anyway so financially rely on them at your own risk. Average life expectancy in Nigeria according to the UN is 52 years. That is really low so relying totally on another human being for your finances is not really smart.
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by datigbogirl: 9:45am On Jul 13, 2016
kennygee:
In this part of the world, most would pick a good marriage.

What would other parts of the world choose?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by naijamakossa(m): 9:55am On Jul 13, 2016
carmag:

YOU'RE NOT IN TOUCH WITH THE QUESTION
master I answered the question indirectly ok
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by mamawin(f): 9:56am On Jul 13, 2016
PushPlay:

I find the bolded amusing...I don't want to dwell on it too much but doesn't speak well of your level of intelligence.
are you saying Mr. Cutehector is too intelligent to use abbreviation like most of us? I find it rather funny, because it's just meant to save time. my opinion anyways
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Cutehector(m): 10:10am On Jul 13, 2016
mamawin:
are you saying Mr. Cutehector is too intelligent to use abbreviation like most of us? I find it rather funny, because it's just meant to save time. my opinion anyways
u shouldn't have replied him. I"ve dealt with him in my way
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Adaeze003(f): 10:15am On Jul 13, 2016
They said choose between your career and a happy marriage and some people are choosing between their happy marriage and future wife's career...

Lord save us.

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Acidosis(m): 10:26am On Jul 13, 2016
cococandy:
'meninist' and misogynists will choose career too I guess.
Or it only applies to women because we are the ones who aren't supposed to have a life outside marriage?

Dane.

Will you marry a man who chooses marriage, and rejects career?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by smogup: 10:29am On Jul 13, 2016
eph12:

Shebi u no be olodo na. You want to make money and not bother about family. You and who go come enjoy the money? Friends?
You have an African mentality. Must everybody get married? Moreover I still have parents and other siblings.
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by rosieluv(f): 10:37am On Jul 13, 2016
dasanchez1:

lol... A marketer should remind me this type of advertising model...
using style to advertise Falconey ... Good luck to him..
winks....
hehehehehehe nice one tho

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Acidosis(m): 10:38am On Jul 13, 2016
My family is number 1. Clients will come and go, but family remains.

The day you're fired or retired from your workplace (e.g. a Bank), you'd henceforth be treated as a commoner or better still, a common customer. In fact, by the time you go back to your ex- workplace a year after retirement, you'd hardly see any face that knows you, or ready to give you a warm treatment. Reason is not farfetched, the organisation does not belong to you; all the effort you've put in has been paid with cash.

However, pre- or post- retirement, your family remains!

I will choose family over and over again. To crown it all, I MUST own a big family business where my wife and children can walk in and out at will.

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by eph12(m): 11:15am On Jul 13, 2016
smogup:
You have an African mentality. Must everybody get married? Moreover I still have parents and other siblings.
African mentality okwaya? Me that used to say I don't mind if I just get a baby mama to give me one or two kids shikena. Meaning that my kids will enjoy my money. But you say u will pack your money and give your siblings that will be married and have their own kids. Awwww you will be the best uncle in the world cool
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by mamawin(f): 1:10pm On Jul 13, 2016
Cutehector:
u shouldn't have replied him. I"ve dealt with him in my way
okay. just curious
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by PresVA: 1:22pm On Jul 13, 2016
You can always find a balance. You can have both cool

But if I must choose, then my family/marriage because I can't have a good career when I don't have peace in my marriage. ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by cococandy(f): 2:21pm On Jul 13, 2016
Acidosis:

Will you marry a man who chooses marriage, and rejects career?

There's no rejecting any.
Just like me, he has to believe he can have it all. Marriage and career.
The marriage has to be as important to him as it is to him. It takes two to tango.

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by cococandy(f): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2016
Adaeze003:
They said choose between your career and a happy marriage and some people are choosing between their happy marriage and future wife's career...

Lord save us.
I noticed grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Acidosis(m): 3:09pm On Jul 13, 2016
cococandy:

There's no rejecting any.
Just like me, he has to believe he can have it all. Marriage and career.
The marriage has to be as important to him as it is to him. It takes two to tango.

Alright, nice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8-Month-Old Deaf Baby's Reaction To Hearing For The First Time! / Should A Woman Sacrifice Her Dreams For Her Marriage? / Do You Fear For Your Kids Future In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.