Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Photos Of My Tomato Garden - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Photos Of My Tomato Garden (42571 Views)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Hi guys!
We're all aware of scarcity of tomatoes that put the entire country into shock as one basket of tomatoes was sold for over 37K. And considering the fact that our presido has urged every one to go back to farm, I've decided to prepare a garden where I'll be cultivating tomatoes for personal consumption only.

I ordered an Italian and Greek tomato seeds from Aliexpress for $0.50 per 100 seeds and they were delivered in 21 days, on 23rd of June.

I planted seeds on 24th June and they sprouted in 4 days, on 28th June.

Basically, it takes about 60 to 75 days for harvest.

Below are pictures of various stages of my tomatoes, they are over 120 germinated seeds.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
NURSERY
4 days after planting seeds: 28th June

Separated and transplanted singularly to cups after another four days (4 days after sprouting)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
Photos of 4th July

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
Photos of 9th July

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by ojun50(m): 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Were are the remainin pix

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by ammyluv2002(f): 9:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
Genetically modified seed? angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 11:37am On Jul 13, 2016
13th July

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Pavore9: 11:51am On Jul 13, 2016
Operation every nearby container! cheesy cheesy cheesy

16 Likes

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by OluchiDelly: 12:03pm On Jul 13, 2016
Aren't you transplanting? Hope transplanting stage not exceeded?
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2016
OluchiDelly:
Aren't you transplanting? Hope transplanting stage not exceeded?
The rain will get them damaged, hence I'm delaying the transplant.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 12:18pm On Jul 13, 2016
This is where I've prepared for final transplanting.

The last pic is an experiment wink

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Nnadijeff3: 1:02pm On Jul 13, 2016
I love this..... .. keep it up

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2016
Nnadijeff3:
I love this..... .. keep it up
Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Genetically modified seed? angry
Don't know if seed is genetically uttered
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 4:10pm On Jul 13, 2016
ojun50:
Were are the remainin pix
Refresh page to see photos
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2016
Pavore9:
Operation every nearby container! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Very funny but true grin
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by augster(m): 5:42pm On Jul 13, 2016
Op, some procedures like fertilizer application, soil used, how often do you water and please the link to the seeds on aliexpress. In the meantime, lemme invite some people
cc vanpeele, ishaqteejay, EMMAACHILE

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:53pm On Jul 13, 2016
augster:
Op, some procedures like fertilizer application, soil used, how often do you water and please the link to the seeds on aliexpress. In the meantime, lemme invite some people
Haven't applied fertilizer yet. Make sure you use a very fertile soil (preferably black soil and not sticky). Water when soil becomes less moistened; watering once a day is OK since we are in rainy season.

Below is the store I bought the seeds from:

100 PCS big cherry tomato tree seeds italy new tomato seeds NO-GMO fruit and vegetable seeds for home garden planting
http://s.aliexpress.com/biqayiiu
(from AliExpress Android)

You can visit store home for more varieties

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:00am On Jul 14, 2016
augster:
Beware, tomato plant may experience shock and might die due to shortage of water, but don't panic when they're in shock, the good news is that it recovers quickly in less than 30 seconds after watering. Also note that one of the most important things needed by tomato plant is Sun light always bring out to the sun or connect a florescent bulb for them indoor.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by augster(m): 9:15am On Jul 14, 2016
Kizyte:
Haven't applied fertilizer yet. Make sure you use a very fertile soil (preferably black soil and not sticky). Water when soil becomes less moistened; watering once a day is OK since we are in rainy season.

Below is the store I bought the seeds from:

100 PCS big cherry tomato tree seeds italy new tomato seeds NO-GMO fruit and vegetable seeds for home garden planting
http://s.aliexpress.com/biqayiiu
(from AliExpress Android)

You can visit store home for more varieties
Kizyte:
Beware, tomato plant may experience shock and might die due to shortage of water, but don't panic when they're in shock, the good news is that it recovers quickly in less than 30 seconds after watering. Also note that one of the most important things needed by tomato plant is Sun light always bring out to the sun or connect a florescent bulb for them indoor.
Alright thanks, I don dey follow this thread
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Yeecar(m): 9:23am On Jul 14, 2016
Kizyte:

1. i noticed that you transfered them from that white transperent container into smaller black nylon bags, i was wondering why you didnt leave them in the plastic containers. or are there any advantages attached?
2. How often do you water them in those Nylon/plastics
3. how do you plant the seed? how many seeds per Nylon/plastic?
thanks.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by KCoker(m): 10:29am On Jul 14, 2016
Kizyte. This is impressive. Wud appreciate if u could update us with pics on further developments till maturity.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:57pm On Jul 14, 2016
augster:
Alright thanks, I don dey follow this thread
Avoid watering the leaf, only water the roots
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2016
Yeecar:

1. i noticed that you transfered them from that white transperent container into smaller black nylon bags, i was wondering why you didnt leave them in the plastic containers. or are there any advantages attached?
2. How often do you water them in those Nylon/plastics
3. how do you plant the seed? how many seeds per Nylon/plastic?
thanks.
They need to be separated and transplanted into cups (one sprouted seed per cup). I ran out of cups that was why I decided to use plastic bags. You must make some opening on the cups/plastic bags (there are special plastic bags for plants). With a blade, I made 4 vertical cuts on each plastic cup.

Apply water to the root of plant when soil is losing its moisture. You can make an improvised watering can by making holes on the cover of a small Eva Water bottle with a niddle.

Pour fertile soil in a landscape plastic container or plate, make sure soil is not sticky. Make holes on the soil with your finger (About half a cm for each hole) drop 2 - 3 seeds in each hole and gently cover with soil. You can apply little or no water if soil is already moistened. Cover plastic and drop in little water (not compulsory), just to keep soil wet.

Do not use cup or plastic bag when planting seeds. You can only transplant to them after seeds have germinated

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2016
KCoker:
Kizyte. This is impressive. Wud appreciate if u could update us with pics on further developments till maturity.
Alright, I will, but my major challenge is the rainfall. Right time to plant tomatoes is towards the end of rainy season. Heavy rainfall can destroy tomato plants especially when they're still growing.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 10:57pm On Jul 14, 2016
Transplanted 25 to the ground today with the little time I had. I don't pray for heavy rainfall cos I got no shelter for them. See photos below

1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 8:37am On Jul 18, 2016
I traveled and stayed away for two days. Came back yesternight and found my tomatoes still doing good despite the heavy rainfall. Will keep you guys updated shortly...

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 11:03pm On Jul 18, 2016
Completed the transplantation today 18th July.

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by thymm50(m): 6:20am On Jul 19, 2016
Looking very nice sir, thanks for the pictures

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 8:48am On Jul 19, 2016
thymm50:
Looking very nice sir, thanks for the pictures
You're most welcome sir smiley
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by biggal: 8:53am On Jul 19, 2016
Nice pls do u know if d cucumbers they sell dia is same hybrid as ours
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Ademat7(m): 2:36pm On Jul 19, 2016
biggal:
Nice pls do u know if d cucumbers they sell dia is same hybrid as ours
is the price okay?

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pandagric Novum Farms: Largest Maize Farm In Nigeria / See This Baby Antelope My Brother Caught / My Trap Caught A Bush Rat, Let Me Teach You How To Make Bush Rat Soup!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.