Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) (19093 Views)

Workers Resuscitate CMD After Psychiatric Patient Beats Him To A Coma / Husband Abandons His Sick Wife In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / Man Beaten By Police In Adamawa In Coma (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by dre11(m): 7:26am On Jul 14, 2016
Samson Folarin

Sixty-four-year-old Isaac Olawuyi has been in a coma for about a week, due to an accident he had while working on some electrical faults in the Oregun, Ikeja office of John Holt Plc.

Isaac, a casual worker, was alleged to have been abandoned by the company and efforts by the family to get financial support from the firm had been abortive.

Dr. Sanusi Ibrahim, the Medical Director of San Hospital and Maternity Home on Falemora Williams Avenue, Oke Adiyan, Ogun State, where he was admitted, told PUNCH Metro on Wednesday that the victim’s case was critical and he had been referred to a general hospital.

Our correspondent was told that the family, which still had a medical bill of N40,000 to pay, could not raise money to transport him to the general hospital.

The victim’s son, Biodun Olawuyi, said his father’s ordeal started on May 27, 2016, after he was electrocuted while working at the company’s office.

He said, “My father is a casual worker in the company and he has been working for them for about 10 years now. He is on a salary of N30,000 per month.

“The problem started on May 27, 2016, while at work. He was making some electrical repairs when he suffered an electric shock due to a wrong connection.

“But the shock didn’t throw him off the ladder he climbed. He came down by himself and a friend gave him a tin of milk to drink to reduce the effect of the shock.

“He later went to a hospital because his hand was seriously affected and he was given some medication. He went to office three different times to show himself to his boss and appeal for financial support because his health had started deteriorating.”

Biodun alleged that his father did not get any form of support from the company.

He explained that things, however, took a turn for the worse last Thursday while the Iwo, Osun State indigene, was preparing to take his medication.

“He suddenly collapsed while trying to take his drugs. I raised the alarm and got him to a hospital, where he was placed on oxygen for two days,” Biodun added.

Our correspondent was told that a doctor at the San Hospital and Maternity Home, where he was rushed to, later revived him.

He was, however, said to have had a relapse on Sunday and had since been in a coma.

Biodun said he visited the corporate headquarters of his father’s workplace on Victoria Island, Lagos, on Monday, adding that the Human Resources Manager of the company, one Nkam, promised to help.

“In my presence she called two of the company’s hospitals to see if my father could be transferred there. The first hospital did not respond.

“But the management of the second hospital said they would need to see my father before they would decide whether to admit him or not.

“She then suggested that we should take him to the general hospital. I told her we needed to pay a medical bill of N40,000, which we were owing the private hospital, but she didn’t do anything,” he added.

Biodun said Nkam asked him to first get a doctor at the general hospital where his father would be taken to.

“We have been given a letter to move my father today (Wednesday) from the private hospital, but we have no money to pay. Whereas the company still owes my father up to three months salaries,” he said.

The medical director at the San Hospital and Maternity Home told our correspondent on the telephone that he had referred the victim to a general hospital.

He said, “The problem is that the family needs financial support. Even to transport him to where he will be treated now is a problem to the family.

“His present medical condition is a consequence of the electric shock he suffered. He had a shock and a few weeks later, he became unconscious.”

The Human Resources Manager of John Holt, Nkam, however, said the company had done its best in the case.

She said, “My directors have been on my neck that I should talk to the son. I was the one that suggested that if the private hospital was not treating him well, he should be taken to a general hospital.

“I was of the opinion that he should be moved from the private hospital to our own company hospital. The son was there while I talked to the hospitals on the telephone, and it was when they were not responding well that I said we should move him to a government hospital.

“I spoke to the man’s son today (Wednesday) and asked about his father and he said he was okay. He said the hospital had asked that he should be moved to a government hospital.

“I said we could not just move him from the private hospital to a general hospital because I know what it takes. They won’t attend to him on time and they may even put him in the open and due to the nature of his sickness, we cannot allow him to be left alone just for a second.

“I told him to go to the general hospital and make contact with a nurse or a doctor and tell them the urgency of the case and that they should be ready to receive him once we move him in.

“Till now, he has not called me back. Also, we do not owe his father. What we are doing now is based on humanitarian ground because he didn’t even write any official letter to the company about his sickness.”

http://punchng.com/firm-accused-abandoning-worker-factory-accident/

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Merlissa(f): 7:30am On Jul 14, 2016
So sad...
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Kenneth205(m): 7:31am On Jul 14, 2016
So bad!
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 14, 2016
Not again!!!
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by ngoben(f): 8:03am On Jul 14, 2016
Bad governance everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by ijustdey: 11:47am On Jul 14, 2016
sadly this is one of the reasons NLC needs to stand for the Nigerian workers....

this is exploitation and fragrant disregard for human safety and dignity

6 Likes

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by oluseyiforjesus(m): 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2016
God heal him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by peemyke(f): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
This is really saddening
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by nkemcd(m): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
NLC,WIA UNA DEY/
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Exponental(m): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
NLC will take this up once they hear as a means to make money. I hope he has a proof that he works their else, denial will set in

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Spells(m): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2016
The Lord is ur Shepherd

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Category1: 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2016
Everything about Nigeria is fuked,the people are also fuked
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Cchuks27(m): 1:04pm On Jul 14, 2016
The Family should report the negligence of the firm to Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF).

The firm is expected to be compliant with NSITF and by so doing, they are entitled to claims and compenation for any of their staff who has been involved in any work related accident or diseases.

5 Likes

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by passionate88: 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2016
Buhari sef angry angry
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by toksclive(m): 1:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
Probably a company ran by Indians or Chinese.
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by wellmax(m): 1:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
ngoben:
Bad governance everywhere

Bad people everywhere

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by junta007(f): 1:07pm On Jul 14, 2016
Wickedness
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Benblaq(m): 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2016
Chineke maka why ?
Nsuto uwem idemi?

Abasi mbok let this come to an end I pray
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Proffdada: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2016
cry

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by ItsawrapOutfit: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
labour laws so pathetic
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by nepapole(m): 1:26pm On Jul 14, 2016
And some people go dey carry work put for head like gala and lacasera.
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Nturguy1122: 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2016
When a person suffers injury while discharging his official duty the company is deemed to take responsibility and not just that even if after it is decided that such person is not fit to perform his former duty any longer due to injuries suffered while on the job the contract of employment of such person shall not be terminated instead he shall be transferred to another job with the same undertakings...The son should get a good lawyer and they should sue this company..They would win this case

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Seun360(m): 1:35pm On Jul 14, 2016
He voted for #Change.
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by iswallker(m): 1:36pm On Jul 14, 2016
“Till now, he has not called me back. Also, we do not owe his father. What we are doing now is based on humanitarian ground because he didn’t even write any official letter to the company about his sickness.”

illiteracy is a disease that kills.. sad...if the bolded is true, the man has simply not notified his employer of the accident... ..and his state of health...
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by 2special(m): 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2016
64yrs casual worker collecting #30000

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by checuzb: 1:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
nepapole:
And some people go dey carry work put for head like gala and lacasera.
lol...dem 4get say na 9ja dem dey
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 14, 2016
Seun360:
He voted for #Change.
Have some brain man!!!
Read books and talk to intellectually sound people, It'll help your thinking faculty

1 Like

Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Jethrolite(m): 1:42pm On Jul 14, 2016
Is the name of the company Wahum?
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Davoskid12: 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
Visit this site to get some amazing health tips and advice>>>
http://drhealthologys..com.ng/?m=1
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by infogenius(m): 1:55pm On Jul 14, 2016
30k per month. Hmnn May God give him speedy recovery.
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Princelyod(m): 2:17pm On Jul 14, 2016
ijustdey:

sadly this is one of the reasons NLC needs to stand for the Nigerian workers....

this is exploitation and fragrant disregard for human safety and dignity
there is a scheme under the federal government called Employee compensation scheme managed by nigeria social insuranve trust fund.This scheme borders on taking care of employee in incidences of WORK RELATED ACCIDENT which could lead to injury or death.Its a no fault scheme where adequate compensation is duely provided for injured victims.It goes as far as compensating the dependant of a deseased employee upto the tune of 90% of the employee basic salary of the deseased ,for a period of 21yrs or until the last issue of the said employee graduates from the higher institution.

However,the emplyers which cuts across private and public institutions are mandated by law to pay only 1% of its staff total gross annually,although concessions are given to make monthly contribution in cases where the employer might not be able to comply on annual bases.
By this notice,it is your duty as an employee to ensure that your employer duely complies on your behalf.It is a compulsory scheme mearnt to alleviate the suffering of the teaming Nigerian employee.
Re: Firm abandons worker in coma after factory accident (Photo) by Princelyod(m): 2:18pm On Jul 14, 2016
Princelyod:
there is a scheme under the federal government called Employee compensation scheme managed by nigeria social insurance trust fund.This scheme borders on taking care of employee in incidences of WORK RELATED ACCIDENT which could lead to injury or death.Its a no fault scheme where adequate compensation is duely provided for injured victims.It goes as far as compensating the dependant of a deseased employee upto the tune of 90% of the employee basic salary of the deseased ,for a period of 21yrs or until the last issue of the said employee graduates from the higher institution.

However,the emplyers which cuts across private and public institutions are mandated by law to pay only 1% of its staff total gross annually,although concessions are given to make monthly contribution in cases where the employer might not be able to comply on annual bases.
By this notice,it is your duty as an employee to ensure that your employer duely complies on your behalf.It is a compulsory scheme mearnt to alleviate the suffering of the teaming Nigerian employee.

(1) (2) (Reply)

When An Adult Visitor Bedwets / Burn Survivor, Kenny Williams Makaveli Shares Before And After Photos / Senate Passes Anti-tobacco Bill, Culprits Could Get Up To 6 Months Jail Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.