Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,526 members, 7,801,463 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (1263 Views)

Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. / Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by lalasticlala(m): 7:55am On Jul 14, 2016
Odinigwe Benedict Chukwukadibia Bonaventure Enwonwu (14 July 1917 – 5 February 1994) was a premier African modernist and a pioneer who is better known as Ben Enwonwu. He was an Igbo Nigerian painter and sculptor. He is a pioneer whose career opened the way for the postcolonial proliferation and increased visibility of modern African art. His work has been exhibited around the world. The Enwonwu crater on the planet Mercury is named in his honour.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Enwonwu

Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by HungerBAD: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2016
One of those rare Gems from the East again.

And he was the son of Omenka Odigwe Emeka Enwonwu, maybe that's our own Omenka here has a thing for the Igbo people. My problem with the East is this, why are people from there not as celebrated as the counterparts in other parts of Nigeria? i mean this is a man with something named after him in the Solar System.

You cannot even buy that kind of recognition.

There was Flora Nwapa, and a host of other giants that came out of the East and their names are gradually being forgotten. There are Yoruba's today who still claim to Awoist, even if Awolowo died in 1987. And in an irony of twist, i am yet to see any Igbo man claim to a Zikist, even if the man died in 1996.

My Eastern Brothers, this is a call for you guys to celebrate your own.

Ben Enwonwu, was from Umueze-Aroli in Onitsha, Nigeria. So today, i am from Onitsha, and i am proud to be from Onitsha.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 14, 2016
Ok
Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ichommy(m): 8:21am On Jul 14, 2016
Odinigwe Benedict Chukwukadibia Bonaventure Enwonwu
Keep Resting
Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Harvard13(m): 8:32am On Jul 14, 2016
i dobt know him sha but lalasticlala does so this will hit fp and i want to comment...lol
Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by FlawlesRebirth02(f): 9:23am On Jul 14, 2016
HungerBAD:
One of those rare Gems from the East again.

And he was the son of Omenka Odigwe Emeka Enwonwu, maybe that's our own Omenka here has a thing for the Igbo people. My problem with the East is this, why are people from there not as celebrated as the counterparts in other parts of Nigeria? i mean this is a man with something named after him in the Solar System.

You cannot even buy that kind of recognition.

There was Flora Nwapa, and a host of other giants that came out of the East and their names are gradually being forgotten. There are Yoruba's today who still claim to Awoist, even if Awolowo died in 1987. And in an irony of twist, i am yet to see any Igbo man claim to a Zikist, even if the man died in 1996.

My Eastern Brothers, this is a call for you guys to celebrate your own.

Ben Enwonwu, was from Umueze-Aroli in Onitsha, Nigeria. So today, i am from Onitsha, and i am proud to be from Onitsha.
.ya•••i still sit and wonder why•••m just happy we aint bothered
Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 14, 2016
HBD to him
Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 14, 2016
practically a century
Re: Ben Enwonwu's 99th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 14, 2016
practically a century...HBD to him

(1) (Reply)

You Want To Have Better Entrepreneurial Income Prospect? / Android Toon By A Nairalander / Nigeria Really Got Talent. He Is Just 11 Yrs And What A Creative Talent He Has.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.