Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills (25939 Views)

7 Proven Tricks To Improve Your Brain / 10 SUREFIRE WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR MEMORY / Social Media And SMS Kill Students' Writing Skills, Says NIPOST (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Bbsharon(f): 3:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
1 : Understand the principles of writing ;
You need to work on your grammar basics and work it to perfection as this in most cases is what people watch out for. Understand fully the elements of style and transition of words and sentences. Don't go about using quotes unnecessarily and punctuation marks,this should be used when needed. The Punctuation marks serves as guide to helping your readers relate to the idea or message you intend to pass on.

2 : Expand your scope of reading ;

Build a stable reading habit and read books that enlightens and broaden your scope of knowledge. Don't just read articles with pictures alone, you need to develop your mind to read books that can influence you positively and help your writing.

3 : Build a passion around your writing ;

Creating a unique style of writing for yourself effortless most times comes from your passion. You need to love what you are doing and what you write about. There is no absolute  joy in writing what you yourself can't even relate to. When your passion is built around your writing things become much more easier, you will be able to express yourself better without barriers to your imaginations. Writing suddenly becomes fun and the ideas keep flowing.

4 : Associate yourself with like minds ;
Be around other good writers,read other people's work and evaluate, communicate with people that are intellectually sound in your field. Engage in meaningful relationships that can help you grow in the way you write. You can also have mentors or role models that you imitate their style of writing but still having your own unique style.

5 : once in a while when you write try reading it out to yourself like you have an audience, most times I do this and while at it  I pay attention to my writings. Doing this you will realize they are some words or sentences that would sound so pleasing to your readers and then you edit.

6 :  For a story writer you have to have catchy conversations and dialogues that your readers can relate to. Like when we read Chinua Achebe's works in an African setting you love the fact you can relate to his work and this keeps you reading.Add thrilling moments to your writing that keeps your readers on their toes and begging for more.

For a controversial writer you have to be good with facts and very knowledgeable, don't be a controversial writer and not be able to defend your works. I remember when I started reading Dan Brown's books I had all doubt about his finding but he keeps proving them like they truly exist. He puts ideas in your head and then build on your thoughts. Be a good but precise narrator and be very descriptive just like Chimamanda Adiche, her descriptive power of writing  is so strong, as even in cases where your readers can't relate to the environment or people you write about they can build up the images in their head which makes it more interesting.

7 :  Learn to be patient with your editing as you have to always make sure your mistakes don't turn to error. The power of good editing in writing can't be underestimated as it goes a long way to tell the kind of writer you really are.

8 : Finally, believe in yourself and the facts you have all what it takes to be that better writer or person you want to be. Just be yourself when you write don't  add unnecessary and ambiguous grammars or vocabularies you yourself don't really understand. Some young writers think writing is all about making your readers grab a dictionary when reading your works. It all depends on how you express yourself, either simple or complex english if the point in your writing is missing you have not written anything.

Write to express yourself, a thought or knowledge  and not  to impress.

http://www.demitalks.com/2016/07/8-ways-to-improve-your-writing-skills.html?m=1

35 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by lajoshua: 3:05pm On Jul 14, 2016
this is really helpful...especially for bloggers u just have to opt ur writing skills..
i guess this deserves fp

4 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Bbsharon(f): 3:09pm On Jul 14, 2016
lajoshua:
this really helpful...especially for bloggers u just have to opt ur writing skills..
i guess this deserves fp

Thanks...let's hope the mods think so too.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by jammani(m): 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2016
Punctuation problem, my main problem.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Wynnah(m): 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2016
Very informative.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2016
writin in shot-hand is a sure way 2 destryin ur writin skills.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2016
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by superfelix: 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2016
Great... Nice one Op

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by prof800(m): 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2016
Bbsharon:

Thanks...let's hope the mods think so too.
I think they do.
Nice article. Thanks for sharing. wink

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Odunharry(m): 6:14pm On Jul 14, 2016
cheesy
Read Read Read, learn from mistakes, give a try and accept constructive criticism, try again. Repeat the steps

Still learning alot from those guys on European sport section and Family too.

If you want to keep learning on Nairaland, visit the Literature, family, European sport(forget the e-wars there those guys are good),Politics etc

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by chukslawrence(m): 6:14pm On Jul 14, 2016
K
Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by winkmart: 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2016
My personal diary blog www.wenogetjob.com was borne off my passion for writing and this has been bringing me money ever since I started

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Phi001(m): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2016
What about ways to improve handwriting skills?

2 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Edubrazilnwa(m): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2016
wasted space

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Robinson222(m): 6:18pm On Jul 14, 2016
Fine.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Oyiboman69: 6:19pm On Jul 14, 2016
these are the type of thing I want to see on the the front page not some celebrity bundle of shitttts.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by achi4u(m): 6:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
Before opening this topic/thread I knew that people will avoid this educative and inspiring thread, because it is not about celebrities and some idioticc topic. That's the level we have dropped to.
Nice one Op, you've helped someone.

3 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by dgalon(m): 6:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
Informative

Finally we are here.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by herzern(m): 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2016
I have always wanted to become a good writer but my friends won't let me,all they know is 'pidgin' undecided

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by jnrbayano(m): 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2016
This is timely for Nairaland thread creators inter alia.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Odunharry(m): 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2016
achi4u:
Before opening this topic/thread I knew that people will avoid this educative and inspiring thread, because it is not about celebrities and some idioticc topic. That's the level we have dropped to.
Nice one Op, you've helped someone.
Very true.. This thread won't get to page 5 befre 11:59pm today just watch

2 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by 247notire(m): 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2016
Nice one OP.

Though I have to say the article could have been written much better.

No one knows it all anyways, we learn everyday; or we're supposed to.

The day you stop learning is the day you die effectively.

Some people are dead effectively but they don't even know grin

3 Likes

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by joseph238(m): 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2016
Nice piece

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 14, 2016
smiley

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by SOPIGO: 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2016
This is nice.... Thanks Op. I really have a problem in my writing. I have a lot of ideas to write down but I lack writing skills.

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by reka2u: 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2016
Impressive..

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by jnrbayano(m): 6:29pm On Jul 14, 2016
247notire:
Nice one OP.

Though I have to say the article could have been written much better.

No one knows it all anyways, we learn everyday; or we're supposed to.

The day you stop learning is the day you die effectively.

Some people are dead effectively but they don't even know grin

Examples?
Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by mercichoco(f): 6:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
Phi001:
What about ways to improve handwriting skills?
there is this writing notebook sold for about #20, buy it, start with capital letters and then small letters

1 Like

Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by mercichoco(f): 6:33pm On Jul 14, 2016
Edubrazilnwa:
pesin wey em writing dn bad dn bad,no going back about it.
Handwriting is different from 'writing' as a skill
Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Vanityupnvanity(m): 6:38pm On Jul 14, 2016
reading improving writing skill? 'thinking'
Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Edubrazilnwa(m): 6:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
mercichoco:
Handwriting is different from 'writing' as a skill
lol my bad didn't actually read it tnx anyway
Re: Eight Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills by Ezedon(m): 6:40pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ok noted, but do i still need it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Maduka University, Enugu, In Pictures / Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) / UNICAL Security Arrests Man For Snatching Phones From Students With Dummy Gun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.