Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

It’s Illegal To Give Birth To A Baby Outside A Standard Hospital! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / It’s Illegal To Give Birth To A Baby Outside A Standard Hospital! (381 Views)

Lady Travels To The US To Give Birth, Dumps Husband, Gives Child Up For Adoption / Woman Who Suffered To Give Birth To A 4.2kg Baby Celebrated By Brother (Photos) / Nigerian Lady Who Was Told She Couldn't Give Birth Again, Gives Birth To Twins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

It’s Illegal To Give Birth To A Baby Outside A Standard Hospital! by ItuExchange(m): 1:32am On Jul 15, 2016
Is it legal to have an unregistered off-the-grid baby in the USA?

My younger brother was an off-the-grid baby by accident.

He was born in our upstairs bathroom after midnight. My mother had just enough warning to call, "it feels like the baby is ready", and there he was. The first baby in decades to be born within the borders of our small, hospital-less town.

An ambulance arrived minutes later, provided first aid, and wrote up a birth certificate - incorrectly.

When my brother was eight, we moved to England. My parents applied for passports for my family. My brother's application was turned down. We learned that the federal government did not believe that he existed.

The remarkable thing is not that my brother existed off-the-grid, but that he was able to be on-the-grid for years before "the grid" recognized that he was there. He got his shots at the doctor’s office. He went to school.

The federal government either never found out, or never cared, until there was paperwork involved. Demonstrating my brother's existence - and citizenship, and right to leave the country - was a huge bureaucratic pain. A truly off-the-grid baby, with no doctors or teachers to swear to his existence, would never have succeeded.

Do you want to raise a baby who faces the drivers-license-less, passport-less hurdles of an undocumented immigrant?

Source: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-to-have-an-unregistered-off-the-grid-baby-in-the-USA

Neteller here: www..com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Again For The Records 4 / Known To Have Several / 6 Steps To Creating An Optimum Balance In Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.