Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics (30630 Views)

JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Top 10 Most Competitive Courses In Nigeria Universities / Six Things To Note As Jamb Commence Sales Of Form 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by mayorgt(m): 12:00pm On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

Guess you fell from the sky.....advise you bleach your brain so you'd understand better

Lolz.... How many doctors dey ur poly?
Go uni go learn.
I told you to upgrade because d highest u will get out of ur polytechnic is HND. Have been to polytechnic nd uni, I know d difference. God bless you.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2016
I won't talk much
Buh Ibadan poly better pass OOU
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by BornnAgainChild(f): 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2016
mayorgt:

Lolz.... How many doctors dey ur poly? Go uni go learn.

How many doctors are trully doctors
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by BornnAgainChild(f): 12:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
dadabashua1:
you are right,i guess the person that knows the road better is the one that have passed through both of d systems

Help yourself
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by mayorgt(m): 12:14pm On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

How many doctors are trully doctors

U don't really get my point, u will understand later. ☺☺
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by liztemi(f): 1:31pm On Jul 16, 2016
Adaobi12:
because we have been brainwashed that universities are better. Which is not true.
Three correct gbosa for u jare
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by predatorX: 1:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
Trust me when I say there's no differentiating between the Nigerian polytechnics and UNIVERSITIES..Based on current educational standards, they are one and the same.
WHY ARE WE SUCH A HOPELESS PEOPLE? I can see why there's gross underdevelopment in the various sectors of our nation. And this useless op would carry this same mentality to his workplace and start discriminating between BSc and hnd.

I had HND 1st then B.Eng NEXT, and after my HND I WAS JUST TOO SUPER-DUPER GOOD FOR B.Eng . Thus I can categorically say that what engineers only know how to do is to think, draw and calculate ALL ON PAPER. Technologists are the ones who bring our dreams to reality. Same with Architects, they imagine and draw but the building tech guy knows how to get it to life.

What am I trying to say : A GOOD POLYTECHNIC BEATS ANY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA. LASPOTECH ELECT-ELECT ENGINEERING GUYS, WE WERE AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REPRESENTING IN UNILAG/OAU/OOU ELECT-ELECT ENGINEERING DEPARTMENTS. ALL YOU NEED DO IS SUFFER TO COME OUT WITH UPPER CREDIT AND 1ST CLASS HONOURS WOULD BE YOUR MIDDLE NAME.

Y'all can beef all you want. "Bottomline is both cadres cannot function without the other".......... I learnt this from Engr. O. O. OLUBAJO

2 Likes

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by tolbis: 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2016
God has given us brain to bring us gain.Don't be narrow minded and use your brain for ideas and creativity and stop this senseless argument.Please note that I AM A PRODUCT of the two institutions.I have HND and B.SC certificate.And I know ''Ideas rule the world'
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2016
Rilwon:
cheesy

Picture from a polytechnic in Nigeria grin

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Ibroboss(m): 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
Rilwon:
cheesy

Picture from a polytechnic in Nigeria grin
Thats never the picture of a polytechnic in Nigeria, this is osogbo grammar school, osun state...
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by predatorX: 2:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
mayor10:
You can't compare the best polytechnic to the worst university even NOUN...the disparity is way too much#the difference is so very clear#where do you want to start from is it the exposure?extra curriculum activities thats gonna help mould your life positively?
Lets not even go to opportunities you get as a university student#scholarships and funds#
the fact remains the fact...most people tha end up going to polytechnic never wanted it in the first place#admission problems and all made them settle for less#It's always good to like what you do and where you are buh never try to be sentimental#

The most insensitive and immature post I've read so far. Scholarships, funds bla bla bla. Tell me anything a Nigerian University graduate has input into any sector and tell me whether he got any grants? If you cannot develop or promulgate or propound or postulate a new engineering theory or model, then I'm afraid that school is just an overhyped polytechnic.

I remember a final-year telecommunications option graduate of a federal university in The SW who could not even explain Modulation and Superheterodyning action in FM transmitters, yet he wanted me to build a microwave transmitter for him. I ran away from the dunce, but you know what....... He came out with 2.1. Now bigots like you would celebrate him over a Distinction guy from a polytechnic. NO HOPE FOR NIGERIA IF THE YOUTH CAN BE DIVIDED ON ISSUES THAT SHOULD UNITE THEM FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF OUR COUNTRY.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by overlord77: 3:09pm On Jul 16, 2016
habby51:

Nice 1, pls can u boldly tell us the name of ur sch?

What a childish write-up, was expecting to be blown away with meaningful reasons. Anyway, rather than this hogwash of a topic, why not we focus on how to help Nigeria in our little way.

If you must know, polytechnics were originally intended for technical courses e.g engineering that's why when you hear MIT, one immediately knows in what profession whoever is being referred to, is.

If you must know, I ran courses in both polytechnic and university, concurrently and I can boldly say engineering courses were better taught in poly. I studied both electrical electronics engr and comp sci in IMT & UNN respectively.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by DeKen: 3:33pm On Jul 16, 2016
ojuu4u:

Thank God you didn't disagree that you committed blunders, even though you had university certificate and so many professors taught you when were in the university. This shows not by university you attendend but "you yourself".
You are sure getting things mixed up. I'm not the OP. I pointed out the OP's error in a subtle way but you emphasized it, however you had even more errors while emphasizing the OP's own. And even still you are getting it wrong.

Can you stop embarrassing yourself?
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by july66: 3:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
habby51:
Dis are the factors that makes Universities rated than Polytechnics;

1. CURRICULUM: University education in Nigeria, like in other developing countries, is to produce graduates grounded in generic skill and, quality education for the nation's economic development. University curriculum therefore, reflect research about what works, as opposed to what is popular today or tomorrow. This
implies that the curriculum content enable students to attain the
society's expectations, and perhaps most importantly, their needs.

2. STRUCTURES: Most Nigerian Universities have outstanding structures and academic environment more than that of Polytechnic. Most of Polytechnics structures are not up to standard, even most of the buildings in some polytechnics are of old structures.

3. COURSES: Universities run more courses than Polytechnics. Most top professional courses are studied at university level e.g Medicine, Law, Architecture, etc. Though we have Legal studies in replacement of law, SLT in replacement of medicine in Polytechnics, and Architect. But are not well recognise.

4. MODE OF DRESSING: Corporate dressing can be seen in most Nigerian Universities, especially the so called private Universities. Also most of courses run by university has there code of dressing e.g Medicine, Engineering, and Law.

5. ACADEMIC PERFORMERS: Most outstanding students can be seen at Universities, compared to Polytechnics. Most of the Universities are more strict. You hardly bribe lecturers cause many are Professors so, is what u write that you get in most cases. Unlike polytechnics where you easy bribe lecturers to have distinction or upper credit.

6. ACADEMIC STAFFS: Least you can see in Universities as a lecturer is a Doctor (Ph .D). A masters holding can only be of an assistant. Most Seniors lecturers are Professors. While the highest you can get in a polytechnics is a Doctor ( Rector), others are MSc, B. sc or HND holder

I am a product of both the polytechnic & university. It is not about the polytechic or university, but about the degree & the HND. Those who designed both for what ever reason made the HND to be slightly inferior to the degree in terms of entry qualifications & curricular. That's why you find a B.Sc holder teaching an HHD 2 student & even rising to become a chief lecturer in the polytechnic but you can't find an HND holder teaching a final year B.Sc student, except in practical courses or when the HND holder has additional professional qualifications. Deep down, an HND 2 student prefers being lectured by a B.Sc holder than an HND holder. Whichever way you look at it, a degree is a degree & diploma is a diploma. The Nigerian educational system is designed after that of the UK. In the UK, polytechnics award all the degrees awarded by the universities but because the degree program is different from the HND, they run B.Sc programs side by side with the HND programs. In this case when an HND holder wants to upgrade to a degree holder, they just do additional 9 months program. In conclusion, irrespective of the level you are in right now, you can always be what you want to be. If you want to be a professor tomorrow, the coast is clear, take the bull by the horn & move on.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Raymarkable(m): 4:20pm On Jul 16, 2016
sorry but this post is kind of dumb. you have no facts . you are making sweeping statements and the one about dressing. I didn't even see that coming, like what? what has that got to do with your post .
sorry but maybe you should enlighten me. coz I'm confused.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Rick9(m): 4:31pm On Jul 16, 2016
Nonsense! Why the comparison , how does comparing both higher institution of learning add or subtract anything from the Nigeria economy. A graduate from University and a graduate from polytechnic still fall under the Subject class of Graduates. Logicians would understand. So to hell with the comparison it's of no use to anybody.

PS am in the University of Benin ok, if I had an opportunity I would have attended a polytechnic.

School na school unless u want to study a professional course like Medicine and Law
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by ojuu4u(m): 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2016
DeKen:

You are sure getting things mixed up. I'm not the OP. I pointed out the OP's error in a subtle way but you emphasized it, however you had even more errors while emphasizing the OP's own. And even still you are getting it wrong.

Can you stop embarrassing yourself?

"You are sure getting things mixed up" or 'surely you are getting things mixed up" i guess you are a yoruba guy.

i pointed out OP's 'error' or i pointed out OP's 'errors'

Are you are a university graduate(?) in that situation is not 'subtle' way but 'sarcarsm'

(you had even more errors) OR (you even had more errors)

OGA PROFESSOR YOU ARE TRANSLATING YORUBA LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH LANGUAGE DIRECTLY WITHOUT FOLLOWING THE RULES. Learn more about Concord . I promise i will improve
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Realrex(m): 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:
BIG LIE.....no matter what is listed here we all know Polytechnics are above Universities in all ramification....Even university graduates and student know so too

UP Polytechnics!!!

So proud to have passed through one
U're obviously saying this with a bias mind, I did my OND in one Federal poly in the East I can confidently say that unless polytechnic restructure her modus operandi the disparity will prevail, it's obvious I had this notion back then in polytechnic but now I have a different perception about the two institutions. the differences can't be overemphasized but what OP said is right.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Harvard13(m): 6:00pm On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

That's if you came out with lower grades....but if its distinction/upper you need no pgd to access MBA....#rodger that
rodger gini?? lol, go nd ask.
plus HND holders start at a lower level to B.Sc holders (bout level 6 to 7)
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Harvard13(m): 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2016
Rick9:
Nonsense! Why the comparison , how does comparing both higher institution of learning add or subtract anything from the Nigeria economy. A graduate from University and a graduate from polytechnic still fall under the Subject class of Graduates. Logicians would understand. So to hell with the comparison it's of no use to anybody.

PS am in the University of Benin ok, if I had an opportunity I would have attended a polytechnic.

School na school unless u want to study a professional course like Medicine and Law

if you had the opportunity?? person stop u? abi polytechnic no dey ur jamb form?
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Harvard13(m): 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
predatorX:
Trust me when I say there's no differentiating between the Nigerian polytechnics and UNIVERSITIES..Based on current educational standards, they are one and the same.
WHY ARE WE SUCH A HOPELESS PEOPLE? I can see why there's gross underdevelopment in the various sectors of our nation. And this useless op would carry this same mentality to his workplace and start discriminating between BSc and hnd.

I had HND 1st then B.Eng NEXT, and after my HND I WAS JUST TOO SUPER-DUPER GOOD FOR B.Eng . Thus I can categorically say that what engineers only know how to do is to think, draw and calculate ALL ON PAPER. Technologists are the ones who bring our dreams to reality. Same with Architects, they imagine and draw but the building tech guy knows how to get it to life.

What am I trying to say : A GOOD POLYTECHNIC BEATS ANY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA. LASPOTECH ELECT-ELECT ENGINEERING GUYS, WE WERE AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REPRESENTING IN UNILAG/OAU/OOU ELECT-ELECT ENGINEERING DEPARTMENTS. ALL YOU NEED DO IS SUFFER TO COME OUT WITH UPPER CREDIT AND 1ST CLASS HONOURS WOULD BE YOUR MIDDLE NAME.

Y'all can beef all you want. "Bottomline is both cadres cannot function without the other".......... I learnt this from Engr. O. O. OLUBAJO
bros if you were too good, why u come go get b.eng??
shry them dey do masters and ph.d for that ya poly too?
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Harvard13(m): 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
predatorX:

shey them dey do masters and ph.d for that ya poly too?
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:
BIG LIE.....no matter what is listed here we all know Polytechnics are above Universities in all ramification....Even university graduates and student know so too

if you want to know their differences go ATBU
UP Polytechnics!!!

So proud to have passed through one
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by DeKen: 6:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
ojuu4u:

"You are sure getting things mixed up" or 'surely you are getting things mixed up" i guess you are a yoruba guy.

i pointed out OP's 'error' or i pointed out OP's 'errors'

Are you are a university graduate(?) in that situation is not 'subtle' way but 'sarcarsm'

(you had even more errors) OR (you even had more errors)

OGA PROFESSOR YOU ARE TRANSLATING YORUBA LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH LANGUAGE DIRECTLY WITHOUT FOLLOWING THE RULES. Learn more about Concord . I promise i will improve
You said you are a graduate but you seem to only understand when English is written in it's simplest form for kindergarten kids. What has understanding of English got to do with tribe? I deliberately marked only one of the OP's errors and you feel I should have used plural form for one? As for the other phrases that your kindergarten brain could not assimilate, do look up "passive form of a verb". And by the way, I'm not Yoruba. Do well to improve as you have promised. Before then, get someone to help you read what you type before you post. You are still embarrassing yourself. I won't give you more attention.

Have a pleasant day ahead.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by dadabashua1(m): 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

Help yourself
dont get me wrong my lovely sister, am not saying polytechnics graduates are not good. but university as an institution of learning is better, and not just any how universities o, Uni like, Abu, UI, unilag, OAU, Etc, like the big reputable ones, there are some universities that the polytechnics are much better than no doubt about that cutie .#smiling
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Gesd(m): 6:58pm On Jul 16, 2016
lie lie POLYTECHNIC STILL THE BEST.....QUOTE ME ANYWHERE..
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by ojuu4u(m): 7:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
[quote author=DeKen post=47607176]
You said you are a graduate but you seem to only understand when English is written in it's simplest form for kindergarten kids. What has understanding of English got to do with tribe? I deliberately marked only one of the OP's errors and you feel I should have used plural form for one? As for the other phrases that your kindergarten brain could not assimilate, do look up "passive form of a verb". And by the way, I'm not Yoruba. Do well to improve as you have promised. Before then, get someone to help you read what you type before you post

Passive? Mr lecturer, local champion that his dialect influences his english grammar, your adamant to corrections will keep embarrasing you on public fora, i insist that you should go back to S.S 1 TEXT BOOKS to study more about "concord" to improve your writting skill. Please dont run because i want us to expose you for the whole world. You this daft. "You had even more errors" you wrote how did it sound in your ear? Olodo.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by predatorX: 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2016
Harvard13:

shey them dey do masters and ph.d for that ya poly too?

Oga who masters don epp, JONATHAN NO BE PhD ? Abeg Park wella.
Don't feel inferior brah, I'm not on the same frequency with you, and I'm not beefing universities either. The notion that one is better than the other is what I'm kicking against as a living testimony.
whudda.Phuck does a Cisco certified Internet Expert need a petty M. Sc/M.Eng or PhD qualification for? My next target na CCVP so make you dey dia dey look for PHD, you can get that easily at UNIPORT ask Jonathan to show you the way.
The sooner we forget degree and begin to work with our hands and brains, the better for Nigeria.
All those useless doctors wey dey departments who cannot even write a useful article to improve approach to engineering mysteries nko?

Mowete Respect Sir, all others na wash ooo. Who dia PhD epp.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Babysho(m): 9:03pm On Jul 16, 2016
habby51:
Dis are the factors that makes Universities rated than Polytechnics;

1. CURRICULUM: University education in Nigeria, like in other developing countries, is to produce graduates grounded in generic skill and, quality education for the nation's economic development. University curriculum therefore, reflect research about what works, as opposed to what is popular today or tomorrow. This
implies that the curriculum content enable students to attain the
society's expectations, and perhaps most importantly, their needs.

2. STRUCTURES: Most Nigerian Universities have outstanding structures and academic environment more than that of Polytechnic. Most of Polytechnics structures are not up to standard, even most of the buildings in some polytechnics are of old structures.

3. COURSES: Universities run more courses than Polytechnics. Most top professional courses are studied at university level e.g Medicine, Law, Architecture, etc. Though we have Legal studies in replacement of law, SLT in replacement of medicine in Polytechnics, and Architect. But are not well recognise.

4. MODE OF DRESSING: Corporate dressing can be seen in most Nigerian Universities, especially the so called private Universities. Also most of courses run by university has there code of dressing e.g Medicine, Engineering, and Law.

5. ACADEMIC PERFORMERS: Most outstanding students can be seen at Universities, compared to Polytechnics. Most of the Universities are more strict. You hardly bribe lecturers cause many are Professors so, is what u write that you get in most cases. Unlike polytechnics where you easy bribe lecturers to have distinction or upper credit.

6. ACADEMIC STAFFS: Least you can see in Universities as a lecturer is a Doctor (Ph .D). A masters holding can only be of an assistant. Most Seniors lecturers are Professors. While the highest you can get in a polytechnics is a Doctor ( Rector), others are MSc, B. sc or HND holder

This guy....I don't want to insult you with your super power of mightiest irrational thinking.

Did you just state "Mode Of Dressing" as a reason for Unis to be better than Polys?? Your points are baseless and empty-contented.

I know you were in a Tricycle when you constructed this Ill(no slang,obsolete) write up. Although, I'm going to reply your unreasonable post but when you get home, relax, and repost points that are challengeable, and that should be front page worthy instead of the crap you made out there.

Although, your points are clearly stupid but sadly, some are partially true.
However, someone has already explained that a Graduate shouldn't be judged only by his institution and grade but by his current intelligence and wisdom also.

Nigerians and their "Pride and Show Off Attitude" is what is wrong with this mumu country. I hate Nigeria. I shouldn't be a Nigerian!.

By the way, I'm a Polytechnic student.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Babysho(m): 9:51pm On Jul 16, 2016
AreaFada2:

Lol. 9ja is a very funny place. Both have different remits. Polytechnics were intended to produce technically trained staff for 9ja industry and mid level personnel. University to produce more academic and professional cadre workforce.

But polys now churn out gazillion ONDs in non-technical art courses. Universities not doing much better.

You now have students just studying whatever, wherever because that was what they got admitted to. shocked

Hahahahahaha bro....You've just hit the nail on the head.

Here is the major hiccup in the system;
Universities now offer Technical courses with better equipments/tools and with an inviting environment since they get more allocations than Polytechnics, hereby causing Jambites to think Universities are the 'shitt' and Polytechnics are just 'shittsss'.

This is causing a progressional inbalance in the educational system in Nigeria and it's affecting other sectors of the country but the Government don't know or they know but don't give a fudge!

The right and easy thing for the Government to do is totally scrap Technical courses off Universities' offered courses and make them exclusively available to only Polytechnics and provide Polytechnics with world class equipments/tools and also distribute equal allocation to the institutions.

This will definitely reduce the "Racism" between them. Plus, the Graduates produced from the institutions will be productive in their own sectors.

LOL....I have a feeling that this is actually what is turning Nigeria upside down.

Even colleges of education shouldn't be left out. Teaching and some other Educational courses should be strictly exclusive to Colleges of Edu. For example...a top smart student from a secondary school who has passion for engineering would be proud to say he is a polytechnic student since he picked it as his first choice and the Institution gives good education.

The Nigerian Educational system needs foundational rebranding so that each institution will be relevant. This is just like Black and White race. If blacks aren't allowed in major stuff and are given small money for much work done then there will be an inbalance now.(racism)

God what's wrong with Nigeria!! God please put wiser, younger people in Govt seat oh lord!

The Nigerian Educational system is a good example of rotten maggots wanting to show that there is Hierarchy in Money or Connections and it shouldn't be so.

The people in govt seats are fools if they don't know that they have to change the educational system to fit with the current economic/infrastructural situation.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Rick9(m): 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2016
Harvard13:

if you had the opportunity?? person stop u? abi polytechnic no dey ur jamb form?
I was offered Admission into UNIBEN first

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation / Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? / Nigerian Universities Compared With Football Clubs, The Result Is Amazing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.