Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" (20525 Views)

Lubabatu An Episodic Hausa Novel By Ibrahhm M. Gombe / Cyprian Ekwensi's 95th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Hausa World Writers Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Eeser: 6:57am On Jul 16, 2016
I think he did just that. Have read the two books and I agree with the analysis.

4 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by ipledge10(m): 6:57am On Jul 16, 2016
mondob2k:

Na now u wan read am. na now d thing dey hungry u. where u dey since?
i was in primary 2 when my sister read it, that was like 14yrs ago.she always tell me what happened in the story, the only thing I could remember is a perfume to someone. I just want to read myself
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Sparkle777(f): 6:57am On Jul 16, 2016
Theres a reason for any action. Op, pls do more research and get back to us. Also check up on 'Anthills of the Savannah'. Lets just know. Tnx.

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by jozee8: 6:58am On Jul 16, 2016
This is very revealing and interesting wow! Rather than countering this topic with facts and figures, some people would come here and be shouting 'because he's our bloda'

5 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by farellstone: 6:58am On Jul 16, 2016
It is a translation,not plagiarism,you can't just plagiarize in literary world without getting sanction for it.So this is not plagiarism.The same way Ola Rotimi rewrote Sophocles' Oedipus nd gave it another title"The gods are not to blame".so my point is, you can translate or rewrite another person's work,sometimes you will need to get permission from the writer or the publisher.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by kindness4life: 6:59am On Jul 16, 2016
Dear writer, I hope u did your home work very well before putting this up. Plagiarism is a serious crime and sensitive issue in the world of literature. Cyprian Ekwesi is a well respected writer as we all know. Why not find a way of contacting him maybe by email or something to hear his own side of the story before conclusions are made.

8 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by jozee8: 7:04am On Jul 16, 2016
Sparkle777:
Theres a reason for any action. Op, pls do more research and get back to us. Also check up on 'Anthills of the Savannah'. Lets just know. Tnx.
what if you do the research yourself. This one he has done what have you to say about it, is he right or wrong?

smh for some people sha... reading meaningless meanings to glaring issues!!

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by LikeJesus: 7:10am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluetooth2:

You are a shame to Nigeria, your ethnic group, your family, and to the whole world.

This case should be properly investigated just like Philip emeagwali was busted for his lies. Bunch of buttwipes !

I have nothing personal to gain or lose in this matter. And I only trying to make common sense.

Their are people that are into the business of publishing and know all the rules and laws guiding the trade. The purported original owner of the material has a publisher, family and friends. People that could make tons of money by suing Ekwensi for plagiarism. And they haven't done that yet for reasons best known to them. And some people are losing sleep and insulting others because of this matter. SMH... I am ashamed of you, bro

14 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by kings009(m): 7:12am On Jul 16, 2016
Is the writer spurred by justice or tribalism? Before a book can be published, it goes through a lot of screening and believe me, it is almost impossible to directly copy one's work that as you opined had won an award without due consultations and settlement. You think you know more about plagiarism than the author in Hausa? If you want to truly help, you should have inquired from the publisher of the Hausa version and from the author. You dont know the understanding they had that kept him quiet. Make proper findings before trowing stones from US.

16 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:13am On Jul 16, 2016
EazyMoh:

Madam please what's the meaning of this?
it means you want to become a yoloba demon

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:15am On Jul 16, 2016
HalfTruth:
[size=28pt]Yes[/size]

Same way PSquare plagiarizes other artists.

These people sha. Their "business" is importing fake china goods. Why won't anything else be copy copy with them?
Not at all.
Na yoloba taught us that in Eko

11 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by ideykwum: 7:16am On Jul 16, 2016
CoCoLav:
There is copyright in the translated version of a literary work. Most times the original author may assign that right to another person with an understanding. Nevertheless, even if permission was not obtained, Cyprain will still have copyright in the translated version because it satisfies the originality and fixation requirement albeit he might have infringed the original author's own copyright as well. This is not about plagiarism, he put efforts into translating it and the law recognizes that. It would be plagiarism if he reproduced it in Hausa.

I can decide to translate Shakespeare's works into Yoruba and make money off it and nobody will come after me.

Please explain to the ignoramus here!! Thanks

12 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:17am On Jul 16, 2016
ipledge10:
Please where can I get e-book of Africa Night of Entertainment...
how much you wan buy am from me?

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Caveatemptor(m): 7:18am On Jul 16, 2016
If you goggle Jiki Magayi and John Tafida the result is a lot of write ups in Hausa language. I also found out that this book Jiki Magayi was co written by one John Moultrine East. This John East was said to have helped pioneer the writing of Hausa lamnguage in books.
There is little information on these books .
My suspicion is that John Tafida might have told the story to John East who now put it in written form.

Still doesn't justify plagiarism by Ekwensi though. The original author should have been acknowledged and an explanation made that it was a translation.

4 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by LikeJesus: 7:21am On Jul 16, 2016
CoCoLav:
There is copyright in the translated version of a literary work. Most times the original author may assign that right to another person with an understanding. Nevertheless, even if permission was not obtained, Cyprain will still have copyright in the translated version because it satisfies the originality and fixation requirement albeit he might have infringed the original author's own copyright as well. This is not about plagiarism, he put efforts into translating it and the law recognizes that. It would be plagiarism if he reproduced it in Hausa.

I can decide to translate Shakespeare's works into Yoruba and make money off it and nobody will come after me.

That makes a whole lot of sense ...

11 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:22am On Jul 16, 2016
mondob2k:

Na now u wan read am. na now d thing dey hungry u. where u dey since?
No mind am.
Him bin dey coven!
Na now the witches release am to fly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by ideykwum: 7:22am On Jul 16, 2016
farellstone:
It is a translation,not plagiarism,you can't just plagiarize in literary world without getting sanction for it.So this is not plagiarism.The same way Ola Rotimi rewrote Sophocles' Oedipus nd gave it another title"The gods are not to blame".so my point is, you can translate or rewrite another person's work,sometimes you will need to get permission from the writer or the publisher.

You're right. Did Ola Rotimi plagiarize "Oedipus Rex"? We have several examples of similar stuff... David Rubadiri and Alfred, Lord Tennyson over "The Journey of The Magi"? Lol. This was not plagiarism. Ekwensi probably translated with or without permission, but in those days it certainly wasn't regarded as plagiarism. Copyright laws have evolved over the years, however.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by SIRTee15: 7:23am On Jul 16, 2016
kindness4life:
Dear writer, I hope u did your home work very well before putting this up. Plagiarism is a serious crime and sensitive issue in the world of literature. Cyprian Ekwesi is a well respected writer as we all know. Why not find a way of contacting him maybe by email or something to hear his own side of the story before conclusions are made.

which Cyprian ekwensi will he contact.....
someone that died nine years ago

4 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Damjoy(m): 7:23am On Jul 16, 2016
Fresia01:
Cyprian was a great writer....buh let me ask u...y are u crying more than d bereaved??

I doubt you understand what plagiarism means

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:27am On Jul 16, 2016
perojelly:
he did and he should be sued if he doesnt acknowledge d real source
sue the dead?
You never see where spirit slap person family from the underworld abi?
The Hausa man's family is wiser than your silly ass.
You and Op should sue him yourself and watch yourselves give birth to imbeciles.
YOLOBA DEMONS

7 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:30am On Jul 16, 2016
Damjoy:

I doubt you understand what plagiarism means
And i means you can sue a dead man's family in Africa?
See i know all abomination emanated from your tribe but please leave Hausa out of it.
They are wiser than your people now.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by ipledge10(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2016
MChaze25:

how much you wan buy am from me?
i need e-book
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2016
SIRTee15:

which Cyprian ekwensi will he contact.....
someone that died nine years ago
No mind them.
YOLOBA DEMONS

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by TEYA: 7:34am On Jul 16, 2016
LikeJesus:
"Taking panadol for another person's headache ".

And it didn't occur to the OP that there probably must have been some kind of understanding between Cyprian Ekwensi and the original owner of the literary material?

Some people sha...
Where such agreements ('understanding' as you put it) exist, it is good practice to acknowledge the original author, don't you think ekwensi should have mentioned the names of john tafida and Rupert east as the original authors?

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:34am On Jul 16, 2016
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by 7footre(m): 7:35am On Jul 16, 2016
MChaze25:

Grow fat toddler.
Yoloba demon.
Lol!! I see insults are the only thing you are good at.... ignored hence forth

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by MChaze25(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2016
7footre:

Lol!! I see insults are the only thing you are good at.... ignored hence forth
lol!
Yeye. I can draw you in 2 mins and make you sleep in 1 min

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Alhajipablo(m): 7:38am On Jul 16, 2016
This isn't plagiarism I guess;Whole Soyinka did it in 'forest of a thousand demons',He translated 'ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole'

7 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by adaweezy(m): 7:40am On Jul 16, 2016
[quote author=CoCoLav post=47586779]There is copyright in the translated version of a literary work. Most times the original author may assign that right to another person with an understanding. Nevertheless, even if permission was not obtained, Cyprain will still have copyright in the translated version because it satisfies the originality and fixation requirement albeit he might have infringed the original author's own copyright as well. This is not about plagiarism, he put efforts into translating it and the law recognizes that. It would be plagiarism if he reproduced it in Hausa.

I can decide to translate Shakespeare's works into Yoruba and make money off it and nobody will come after me.[/quote]
The bolded is a bloody lie, you need the permission of Shakespeare's estate to do so.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Write Your Own Very Own "drabble". / Bloodshot -a Short Romance Story / Top 10 Nairaland Stories To Enjoy Over The Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.