Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal (4488 Views)

Nigerians Reject 419 With Hilarious Billboard (photo) / How Did Fashola & Tinubu Keep These Screts Away From The Dailies / Did Fashola Or Tinubu Actually Say This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 2:26am On Sep 13, 2009
[size=14pt]Sunborn Yatch Hotel: Lagos Floating White Elephant (with Video)[/size]
WRITTEN BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORK 24/7/08

Kayode Ogundamisi visits the much-hyped Sunborn One year after)The Sunborn Yacht Hotel was delivered from the UK in November 2008. Despire claims that it would be put to immediate use upon arrival, nearly one year later it remains used and derelict.

OUR 1st story: Bola Tinubu Named in Floating Hotel Buy For Lagos:
Saharareporters investigations reveals that apart from several other projects in which he is either a direct or indirect beneficiary, the former governor has recently been named in a floating hotel purchase that was concluded few days ago in the United Kingdom. Sources told Saharareporters that the former governor, who has been acting on behalf of the notorious Chagourys (late Gen. Sanni Abacha's partners) to corner juicy construction jobs from the Lagos State government, is directly involved in this deal.

Sunborn Yatcht hotel in Lagos

Saharareporters investigations further revealed that the erstwhile Governor of Lagos State, a former chieftain of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), arrived London on Sunday (July 20 2008) night leading a retinue of Lagos State officials, traditional rulers and federal officials that included the state commissioner for Tourism, former Senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi, and his Federal counterpart, Ademola Kayode (SAN), as well as a plane load of public relations practitioners and avalanche of reporters of print and electronic media, including 5 staff members of the federally-funded Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).
[size=14pt]
Tinubu, who is said to be the beneficiary of major juicy contracts from Lagos state since he installed his crony, Babatunde Fashola, as his successor last year, personally handled the hotel deal said to be worth about $40 Million[/size]. The deal, which was initially disguised as a public –private partnership between the Lagos State government and some private entities including a commercial bank, is a bona fide contract between Tinubu and the state government according to the latest information available to Saharareporters. The floating hotel, which was based in the UK before its sale, was owned by a Finnish businessman.

When Saharareporters contacted the Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism, Senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi in London, he explained that the Lagos State government bought into the “Floating Hotel” idea because of shortage of hotel rooms in the Lagos metropolis. Further, he denied that the Chagourys were involved in the present deal; instead he claimed that the entire transaction was a Private Public Partnership (PPP) between the Lagos State government and Diamond bank, a Lagos–based commercial bank. He admitted to Saharareporters that the deal was worth 22 million Euros but curiously stated that the government of Lagos will not be spending a dime on the project, not even a loan guarantee for the project.

As Saharareporters reminded Senator Afikuyomi that it will cost the state money to prepare the Marina for the permanent anchorage of the boat, he shot back saying he had stayed in the Sunborn Yacht at its UK base on several occasions and that the floating hotel requires no further work either on the ground or in the Marina. Asked if that includes the cost of towing the Yacht hotel to Lagos, he answered in the negative.

Afikuyomi also denied that Tinubu was involved in the deal in anyway. He also feigned ignorance of Tinubu's presence in London since last Sunday until yesterday. Sources told Saharareporters that Tinubu deliberately stayed away from the handing over ceremony to avoid being seen as the anchorman for the deal, especially in light of recent revelations by THISDAY newspapers of his questionable fiduciary engagement with the Chagourys.

However, sources familiar with the negotiations leading to the purchase of the four-star Sunborn Yacht Hotel located at No. 1 Royal Victoria in the Docklands of London told Saharareporters that the 102-room hotel would cost a lot more than is currently disclosed to the public by the Lagos State government:[b] "there are a whole lot of hidden charges" [/b]said a source who did not want to be named. The source drew attention to the fact that the 10 year-old Sunborn Yacht hotel, which was originally brought from Finland to the UK and commenced operations in 2002, does not have an engine of its own.

This means that the Lagos State government would have to pay exorbitant charges for powerful tug boats to tow the Sunborn from the Docklands near London in the United Kingdom to the Marina water fronts of Lagos, Nigeria - a journey that is bound to be long, delicate and potentially intensive. For instance, it took nine days for the Yacht hotel to be brought to London from Finland via Germany. Marine experts say that apart from the potential dangers, with high cost of fuel in the international market, it will be costly to tow the floating hotel to Lagos. Already, Saharareporters has been reliably informed that the contract for the towing of the floating hotel to Lagos, Nigeria using a submersible vessel, has been secretly awarded to the Chagourys for a whopping sum of $5million, a price which is adjustable depending on the prevailing cost of fuel in the international market.

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3679:sunborn-yatch-hotel-lagos-floating-white-elephant&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 3:27am On Sep 13, 2009
Fashola should stay away from Tinubu or he will sink him fast.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Kobojunkie: 3:39am On Sep 13, 2009
Is that really a picture of the ship? YIKES!!!!
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by mustafar1: 3:51am On Sep 13, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! i had always thot that ferry was a white elephant waste of money and brain cells. where is the bayelsa governor? lagos indigenes would like to trade this piece of scrap metal in for nothing in exchange, aka we do not need it.

if you ask me, i believe anything that is tagged PPP by any government in nigeria, lagos state is most guilty is covering something up. i might be wrong but until i can decide otherwise, i am right cos everything lately has been tagged PPP.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by babapupa: 3:58am On Sep 13, 2009
Tinubu sure 419'ed Lagosians with that Sunburn deal and I'm sure  Fashola is staying away from it for a reason.

Well, Fashola is a practical and reasonable man, he'll come up with some kind of use for it.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by larez(m): 7:24am On Sep 13, 2009
I am glad that most people know that Fashola is not part of this crap and distances himself from any type of perceived magomago. This Brother is truly about taking care of his State and people. He shall overcome.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 10:02am On Sep 13, 2009
babapupa:

Tinubu sure 419'ed Lagosians with that Sunburn deal and I'm sure  Fashola is staying away from it for a reason.

Well, Fashola is a practical and reasonable man, he'll come up with some kind of use for it.
If Tinubu installed Fashola, don't you think he will somehow pay him back with contracts?. Nothing in this life is for free, you know.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by babapupa: 10:27am On Sep 13, 2009
If Tinubu installed Fashola, don't you think he will somehow pay him back with contracts?. Nothing in this life is for free, you know.

I see your point. @ the same time, label me gullible if you must, I don't picture Fashola dolling out state funds, contracts and perpetrating corrupt practices because he took over from an alleged embezzler.

So far, I have no reason to smear or throw dirt at Fashola.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 10:32am On Sep 13, 2009
He may not want to but they can create conditions around him that will force him to do so. Didn't you read that it cost Lagos state $5M to bring that hotel home and that contract was given to Chagoury's?. The same Abacha cronies that were on the run from Nigerian government last year?
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by back2back(f): 10:52am On Sep 13, 2009
why bring this crap to Lagos

How will they dispose this off now; another WESTERN waste product in Nigeria.

sad people
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Tsiya(m): 11:08am On Sep 13, 2009
The thing is a Scrap.

Just like the Scrap airplanes you will see wasting away in our airports

Just like the Tokumbo TVs in front of TV repairers shop/home

Nigerians never cease to amaze me
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Kobojunkie: 11:11am On Sep 13, 2009
The thing a scrap? The idea itself get as e be? That Tinubu's hands were in the deal from the beginning and still is, get as e be.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Tsiya(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2009
Yeh, the idea itself is just ridiculous

If Lagos is suffering from lack of hotels rooms, why not invest directly. Sign a contract with Julius Berger, give them the money, and the plot and give them time. These guys I promise you will deliver the hotel within a possilbe short period of time.

It is just ridiculous how our so called leaders comes with excuse when it come to contract and contracts award. Building infrastructure doesnt take decades. It is just the will
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 11:23am On Sep 13, 2009
back2back:

sad people
grin grin Ajegunle needs a 5 star hotel and you de ask of disposal. Drop that hotel for land now and see how guys will steal everything from carpet to roof. Nigerians will even steal the name of the scrap for future uses.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 11:29am On Sep 13, 2009
Tsiya:

Yeh, the idea itself is just ridiculous

If Lagos is suffering from lack of hotels rooms, why not invest directly. Sign a contract with Julius Berger, give them the money, and the plot and give them time. These guys I promise you will deliver the hotel within a possilbe short period of time.

It is just ridiculous how our so called leaders comes with excuse when it come to contract and contracts award. Building infrastructure doesnt take decades. It is just the will

Wait till one of the governors buys a used toilet from abroad for $20m. Akala may be the first to devise that idea.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by SapeleGuy: 1:57pm On Sep 13, 2009
back2back:

sad people

The yacht was not like that when they bought it. I've been on it several times when it was permanently moored at the Excel in London's Docklands. The yacht was pristine. Fashola and Tinubu don spoil the yacht - anybody who saw the boat in London can bear witness.

They bought a yacht without finding out where they would moor it. Stark raving madness
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 7:03pm On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

The yacht was not like that when they bought it. I've been on it several times when it was permanently moored at the Excel in London's Docklands. The yacht was pristine. Fashola and Tinubu don spoil the yacht - anybody who saw the boat in London can bear witness.

They bought a yacht without finding out where they would moor it. Stark raving madness
You mean it got that tattered in one year alone?. What was the rationale behind such buy?. It cost a total of $45M; Wouldn't that amount build a much bigger 5 star hotel in Lagos?. The $45M they paid will not only build a hotel but provide jobs for the builders and contractors.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by bawomolo(m): 7:24pm On Sep 13, 2009
Nigerians sure do lack a maintenance culture
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by IKEYMAN1: 7:30pm On Sep 13, 2009
who are they foolin

superman
no

a installed b= who are they foolin

cool
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by SapeleGuy: 7:42pm On Sep 13, 2009
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Sep 13, 2009
The idea never made sense me to me in the first. So, I am kind of not shocked that it has been left to deteriorate to this point. I just hope that the man does not allow his other works to suffer in the same way as this has. It is never been about building but about maintaining it all. that has been the problem from the start.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Nchara: 7:58pm On Sep 13, 2009
Fashola is probably about half more competent but completely as corrupt as Tinubu
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 2:33am On Sep 14, 2009
SapeleGuy:

http://www.sunbornhotels.com/english/index.html

See as the boat be before.
That picture was doctored. I can show you the picture of London on a postcard and you tel me whether London is as pristine as the picture. The Sahara picture is live and real. Agreed, the tattered windows were not like that when they bought it but that property is a manure. It will only be good for a poultry.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by mbulela: 2:45am On Sep 14, 2009
upon hearing and seeing this vessel last year, the ,moment i heard Tokunbo Akikuyomi was involved, i knew it was fraud.
I have never seen a more despicable Nigerian politician that blows so much hot air and stands for nothing.
That man is the political equivalent of Dele Momodu.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 2:57am On Sep 14, 2009
mbulela:

upon hearing and seeing this vessel last year, the ,moment i heard Tokunbo Akikuyomi was involved, i knew it was fraud.
I have never seen a more despicable Nigerian politician that blows so much hot air and stands for nothing.
That man is the political equivalent of Dele Momodu.

How did he get to the top?. I don't know him anyway.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by mbulela: 3:04am On Sep 14, 2009
he was a senator for 8 years, married to Justice Bola Ajibola's daughter (i think), contested for the governership in AC, when Fashola was chosen ,he crossed to APP, when they promised him a ticket, after he lost the election, he returned to AC as a commissioner for Fashola.
one of those guys that hung around NADECO men, claimed Abacha wanted to kill him, ran abroad and cries more than the bereaved in terms of his Democratic credentials.
talks big but like Dele Momodu can be bought over again and again.
You can never define his stand;as unstable as water.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by mustafar1: 3:17am On Sep 14, 2009
Afikuyomi! Didn't picx of the party he organized in london to launch his gubernitorial ambition get published in ovation, with his Afikuyomi babes or something like that? Some names come up in nigerian politics and all I can do is suck my teeth and think one of the problems of nigeria.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by AloyEmeka6: 4:55am On Sep 14, 2009
mbulela:

he was a senator for 8 years, married to Justice Bola Ajibola's daughter (i think), contested for the governership in AC, when Fashola was chosen ,he crossed to APP, when they promised him a ticket, after he lost the election, he returned to AC as a commissioner for Fashola.
one of those guys that hung around NADECO men, claimed Abacha wanted to kill him, ran abroad and cries more than the bereaved in terms of his Democratic credentials.
talks big but like Dele Momodu can be bought over again and again.
You can never define his stand;as unstable as water.

Do Nigerian politicians have a stand?. All of them are like that. That is the dictionary meaning of politician. grin
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by mbulela: 5:18am On Sep 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Do Nigerian politicians have a stand?. All of them are like that. That is the dictionary meaning of politician. grin

his own problem is that he pretends to stand for something.
that is my problem with Dele Momodu.Nobody bothers the owners of City People and Encomium.
the issue is when you celebrate the problem and then turn around to want to be part of the solution.
that is hypocrisy and delusional.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by thameamead(f): 11:55am On Sep 17, 2009
@MBULELE, you are so so right about Afikuyomi, he's nothing but a joke, he's always in the company of Dele Momodu, Momudu renewed his wedding vows @ Sunborn Yatch hotel and when the hotel was moored from lonodn, the pictures were splashed in Ovation magazine, i partied on the yacht a few times but i tell you what it's not worth £45M, it had lovely aviews but it needed a bit of TLC. it neded a lick of paint, new carpets, new taps in the bathroom, d list goes on. D £45M should have been used to build more hospitals,
Afikuyomi is always hanging out in Ghana with Momodu, Afikuyomi has a £1.5M penthouse with river views in Canary Wharf that he bought outright, (i be olofofo). Momodu is all about money, youu pay him £3,000 if you want ur party to appear in ovation, God help us all,
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by folem: 10:23am On Oct 28, 2009
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5475030-146/Lagos_tourism_commissioner_absent_from_House.csp

[size=16pt]Lagos tourism commissioner absent from House hearing on Sunborn Yacht[/size]

The two dissenting parties involved in the stagnant Sunborn Yacht project, the Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism and Intergovernmental Relations, Tokunbo Afikuyomi, and the Chief Executive Officer of the Multipurpose Infrastructural Development Company, Emmanuel Obire, reneged on their promises to submit all documents relating to the project to the state’s House of Assembly.

The lawmakers refused to take oral presentations during a hearing last Tuesday and demanded that all documents relating to the project be submitted to the House.

Mr. Afikuyomi and Mr. Obire promised to submit the documents but they failed to appear yesterday before the House proceeding and no documents were submitted by either of them.

It was expected

On Tuesday, October 20, when the documents relating to the project were requested to be tendered, one of the lawmakers, Adelabu Onibiyo, representing Alimosho I, suspected that there might be no document anywhere because “Mr. Obire looked suspiciously towards Mr. Afikuyomi anytime the issue of documents is raised.”

Also, Mr. Obire claimed some documents relating to the consignee company, Loneseed Limited, were with the project’s financial adviser, Diamond Capital. However, Babatunde Ogala (representing Ikeja) took the statement as a “flimsy excuse.”

“You cannot say you don’t have, at least, photocopies of the documents assuming the originals are with Diamond Capital,” he said.

Mr. Ogala demanded that the owners or the registration number of Loneseed be disclosed “so the House can carry out its own investigation into the matter”.

Disappointment

The lawmakers expressed their disappointment on Tuesday when the two parties did not show up. Mr. Ogala explained that the Sunborn Yacht has generated so many negative reactions in different media and many of the reports indicted the House of Assembly.

“The House has also been accused of covering up for some people, and we have also been accused of compromise,” he said.

“Our party leaders have also been accused and this issue has become something that cannot be swept under the carpet. We need to take an affirmative action because the issue seems to be the one that requires a proper investigation.”

Moshood Oshun (Lagos Mainland 2) said the challenge posed by the matter has gone beyond what he called a party affair.

“It is now an embarrassment to the state,” he said. “We can’t afford to put the state’s reputation at stake.”

Others demanded that Mr. Afikuyomi be consequently sanctioned for deriding the Assembly’s orders.

“He has put the state in a big embarrassment and, therefore, we should not take it light with him,” said Mr. Onibiyo who suggested that a warrant of arrest be placed on the commissioner for disregarding the Assembly.

Getting to the bottom

The Speaker of the House, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, said, “This House will not allow anyone, no matter how highly placed, to toy with the name of the state. I must confess that I am a little bit embarrassed, and I think we have to get to the root of all these and make sure that the truth behind the vessel is resolved.”

He said the commissioner telephoned on Monday night claiming he was not aware he was supposed to present a document to the Assembly, and promised to bring it before the House on Tuesday.

The House decided to summon Mr. Afikuyomi to appear before its sitting on Thursday. Calls placed to Mr. Afikuyomi and Mr. Obire went unanswered.
Re: Tinubu Did Fashola 419 With Sunburn Hotel Deal by Ibime(m): 10:50am On Oct 28, 2009
This yacht was parked near my house before Tinubu bought it. . . . when it was in the UK, it looked better than this. . . . only one year later, Naija don spoil am finish.  grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coffin Placed In Front Of Inec Office In Awka - Ait Reports. / Forgive Major Hamza Al-mustapha? / Thisday Editor, Simon Kolawole's Description Of Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.