Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves (8154 Views)

Experience Java And .NET Programmers Wanted For Contract Employment / We're Hiring - Java And .NET Programmers / .net Programmers I Need Your Help O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by abubaka101: 8:15am On Jul 17, 2016
I can't see any reasonable objective being achieved with this discussion.
Programmers come in and argue the features that their language has over. net and vice versa?
Or that programmers come in to claim what webapps have been done in. net?

These discussions are boring, irrelevant and a pure waste of time for everybody.
But it's good to know that lots of programmers are still on Nairaland, maybe one of you could help me out with something I want to do.
Is it possible for me to create social login through Nairaland on another webapp?

2 Likes

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 8:33am On Jul 17, 2016
Febup:

I only used that code sample to show for loop in Python.

But still your code does not show Thread Safety when updating a local variable outside a Multi-Threaded loop so I cannot compare yours with mine.
joelib module takes care of that automatically for me.
note that in python there is an inbuikt multiprocessing and multithreading library, which the joelib library was built on top, had i chosen to use that library directly, i would have had to deal with the safety myself. but using joelib, i neednt care about that.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 9:00am On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:

I am expecting your message, not seen it yet. Hope you are not the dude talking nonsense with me on Fb just now?
noop, sent it since afternoon.
my fb is facebook.com/samuel.a.ogundipe
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 9:10am On Jul 17, 2016
abubaka101:
I can't see any reasonable objective being achieved with this discussion.
Programmers come in and argue the features that their language has over. net and vice versa?
Or that programmers come in to claim what webapps have been done in. net?

These discussions are boring, irrelevant and a pure waste of time for everybody.
But it's good to know that lots of programmers are still on Nairaland, maybe one of you could help me out with something I want to do.
Is it possible for me to create social login through Nairaland on another webapp?
it is possible, if you check well, there was a thread on nairaland, where jidez007, i, dhtml18 and some others were talking about this, cant remember the title, but its not officially possible, but works through an hack. now not to derail this topic. leave us to this battle of .net
its one of the few things we can spare time for

2 Likes

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by abubaka101: 10:15am On Jul 17, 2016
sleepingdemon:

it is possible, if you check well, there was a thread on nairaland, where jidez007, i, dhtml18 and some others were talking about this, cant remember the title, but its not officially possible, but works through an hack. now not to derail this topic. leave us to this battle of .net

Ok thanks.

I couldn't stop laughing after that last part. Carry-on...
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
AntiWailer:

Nice attempt.

The power of 'for parallel' in parallel processing can not be over stated

I have used it to reduce a task (not counting 1 -1 billion but a mission critical task) that takes 2 days to 6 hours and like u said, pretty easy to implement.

Well said. The power of parallel processing is amazing.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 17, 2016
sleepingdemon:

Seun has forbidden such, to be honest, it is illegal.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 9:17pm On Jul 17, 2016
I would like to contribute my 2 kobo. Firstly, .Net is not a language but a runtime. The .Net platform has several languages and even languages like php,python,ruby could be ported to work on .Net VM.
In the early stage when the .Net framework was developed (early 2000), it was actually far more advanced than even Java. The closed nature of the framework made it develop far slower than most open languages. Its actually adopts new idealogies faster than Java.
I develop on most of this platforms and can categorically say anyone making such an assumption is ignorant. .Net is now more open and i can say that it will be relevant for a long time.

3 Likes

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by sleepingdemon: 9:27pm On Jul 17, 2016
seunthomas:
I would like to contribute my 2 kobo. Firstly, .Net is not a language but a runtime. The .Net platform has several languages and even languages like php,python,ruby could be ported to work on .Net VM.
In the early stage when the .Net framework was developed (early 2000), it was actually far more advanced than even Java. The closed nature of the framework made it develop far slower than most open languages. Its actually adopts new idealogies faster than Java.
I develop on most of this platforms and can categorically say anyone making such an assumption is ignorant. .Net is now more open and i can say that it will be relevant for a long time.
true that> e.g Python works on .net using IronPython
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
seunthomas:
For once, I agree 100% with you - which is quite unusual.

@php trolls, I hope you are learning from here - because I know many of you have come to this thread to see HOW DHTML IS GONNA KILL .NET
Hehehe, no such thing, this is just a way of drawing out the true .NET programmers to educate the e-masses.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by guru01(m): 11:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:

For once, I agree 100% with you - which is quite unusual.

@php trolls, I hope you are learning from here - because I know many of you have come to this thread to see HOW DHTML IS GONNA KILL .NET
Hehehe, no such thing, this is just a way of drawing out the true .NET programmers to educate the e-masses.
@dhtml18 I think you are misleading the e-masses by calling .net a programming language, you have to defend this your statement in this e-court.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:15am On Jul 18, 2016
^^^o yeah, that is what makes me a troll. . .
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by prodam(m): 12:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
Many people think .NET is actually a language, the reason for the common question, Do you do .NET or PHP?. I think this dude is one of them.LOL

+1

Any one currently in trend will understand .NET is now a monster and still maintains its record of being "Classy". This has been the reason why many organizations still see it as the only platform to build "Enterprise" solutions.

Abeg no Press P o, we just dey relate.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^o yeah, that is what makes me a troll. . .
prodam:
Many people think .NET is actually a language, the reason for the common question, Do you do .NET or PHP?. I think this dude is one of them.LOL
+1
Any one currently in trend will understand .NET is now a monster and still maintains its record of being "Classy". This has been the reason why many organizations still see it as the only platform to build "Enterprise" solutions.
Abeg no Press P o, we just dey relate.
Dudes, the two of you are funny people. Unless you are not real programmers, when you meet a fellow programmer - a common question to ask is:
Do you do .NET? Now a .NET programmer understands precisely what that means. By the way, this board is for developers, so if you think .NET is a language, this thread is not for you - simple click unfollow and the get-the-heck-out-of-here-already.

The real .NET programmers understand what this thread is about and are responding appropriately. People like guru are PHP-TROLLS and know nothing other than PHP.

So mister prodam, abeg dont find my trouble. If i dont know what .NET is, I wont be creating this thread - let us just leave it at that, before I start disciplining the two of you right on this board. Arrant nonsense.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nmeri17: 3:57pm On Jul 18, 2016
dhtml18:

I know a dude too who develops banking softwares for the past 10 yrs with vb 6. I learnt coding partially from him.
Give me my full credit pleece undecided I taught you fully and not partially.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2016
Nmeri17:
Give me my full credit angry I taught you fully and not partially angry angry
What is this one doing here?
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nmeri17: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2016
prodam:
Many people think .NET is actually a language
guru01:

I think you are misleading the masses by calling .net a language
Oh please, will you two just keep kwayet juss in case you don't know it, .net is the official language spoken in Mozambeak, Ugbokwonkwo and Togoland. undecided I'm amazed you both do not know this and would request a refund from my current affairs teacher if I were you.

1 Like

Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2016
Dont mind that guru jare, he just wants to be feeling as if he is a programmer - and he is just a gaddamn NOOB.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by guru01(m): 8:57pm On Jul 18, 2016
dhtml18:
Dont mind that guru jare, he just wants to be feeling as if he is a programmer - and he is just a gaddamn NOOB.
Like seriously, you actually called .net a programming language.
I think you should humbly correct your topic/comments.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 18, 2016
guru01:

Like seriously, you actually called .net a programming language.
I think you should humbly correct your topic/comments.
Go and change the topic now, the reasonable .NET people have already spoken well on the thread. as well as other important personalities.
Your own is to try to draw back the thread, you are not serious, and deserves to be trolled on, yeah, i said it.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by romme2u: 3:04am On Jul 19, 2016
i can feel it............oh yeah

WAR is brewing lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 4:16am On Jul 19, 2016
You guys love senseless killings and WAR!
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 19, 2016
don't confuse .NET with C#. C# is a language, .NET is a set of libraries
Almost 2 pages now and its a pity no programmer could correct this

This is the biggest mistake programmers make don't learn the library ......learn the language.

Learn the language completely. Don’t learn the libraries, learn the language. Use the libraries. Does that make sense? e.g. Learning the language will allow you to manipulate it as you start to do things you never thought of before. Learning the language completely will also help in learning other languages later as you'll be able to ask the question "how do I do ____ in ____?". You'll also learn things you shouldn't do, like in Java, double brace initialization
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by directonpc(m): 6:49am On Jul 19, 2016
dhtml18:
gaddamnit, a .NET programmer taking over my thread? where are all those PHP 7 trolls to come to the rescue

Warning: failure of the PHP dudes, Python and other developers to allow this GREAT, MONUMENTAL INSULT (PLUS INGREDIENS) go just like that means only one thing - namely - .NET is King

Hmn, lets still wait for them to show up. Where is ehm Larisoft sef?
Do you know android would have been faster if it was built on languages in the family of .NET? am a php/java guy like you too. But the old advantage I see in these languages is that they save you time while developing. But actually consume system resources and time at run time.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 19, 2016
^^^ faster in developing apps(time spent in developing) maybe yh ......but in performance of apps......... on ARM (most phone processors) Java wins hands-down, on Intel - C# code in Mono (using Xarmin) is much faster

The comparison is for Java and c# on android although xarmin may claim otherwise
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 19, 2016
directonpc:

Do you know android would have been faster if it was built on languages in the family of .NET? am a php/java guy like you too. But the old advantage I see in these languages is that they save you time while developing. But actually consume system resources and time at run time.
I believe you are right. I use .NET to an extent too, and the IDE is even far more efficient than Android studio. Even XCODE is far far faster to develop than Android studio. All these platforms got their strength and their weaknesses.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 19, 2016
dhtml18:
Shocking right? Maybe it is correct or wrong - but that is what I can make out from reading the blog post below.

Considering the fact that I don't like criticizing any language - but let's not forget that I grew up from microsoft vb6/asp/.NET background but i migrated to PHP/JAVA for some reasons, and this article below outlines some of those reasons and others very carefully - and that is why I don't have any single project in .NET except a few windows apps.

Read it here and share your views: https://blog.expensify.com/2011/03/25/ceo-friday-why-we-dont-hire-net-programmers/

Meanwhile, since I am not an active .NET programmer, let the real .NET programmers come and defend themselves.

Disclaimer: I did not write the article mind you, and I shall not claim responsible for any .NET programmer that commit suicide as a result of reading this post.

I'm really surprised that a someone of your experience will post this kind of thing, shows really how much you think you know !

A post that was made in 2011.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 19, 2016
Just so you know I'm a Java Guy and those thinking the .NET framework is dead well.....itz just shows your experience level in .NET is low that is because.....
.Net (CRL) can run everything from Python, PHP, C#, Ruby and even languages out of your “standard” code-to-render-random-html like F# and Scala down to even C++ integrated in a way that no other platform supports. Oh, and wait....wait....wait....it runs on almost any OS as well from Windows to Linux to Mac to iOS and Droid.
I'm surprised that those good in the .NET framework are silent...... or maybe they are too busy with projects from different platforms .....I envy u guyz
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 9:25am On Jul 19, 2016
ovoSoftware:
don't confuse .NET with C#. C# is a language, .NET is a set of libraries
Almost 2 pages now and its a pity no programmer could correct this

This is the biggest mistake programmers make don't learn the library ......learn the language.

Learn the language completely. Don’t learn the libraries, learn the language. Use the libraries. Does that make sense? e.g. Learning the language will allow you to manipulate it as you start to do things you never thought of before. Learning the language completely will also help in learning other languages later as you'll be able to ask the question "how do I do ____ in ____?". You'll also learn things you shouldn't do, like in Java, double brace initialization
.Net is actually not a set of libraries but a runtime. The difference is that a library is in most compiled or static linkable code that you can reuse in your own program. .Net is more than that. The closest comparison to .Net would be the JVM which is what makes java code portable and run anywhere.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by seunthomas: 9:30am On Jul 19, 2016
I dont want to sound like a bully, but a lot of the statements made on this thread are very very wrong. Like someone comparing speed of java(android) and .net without an appropriate yardstick. Both perform comparable well. And both have some runtime optimizations that could be done. Lets just say when it comes to speed, c/c++ is the only language that beats java and .net. This is because their is no middle process in c, no garbage collection, no VM. Please before you post stuff, try to confirm if what you post is accurate, else you maybe misleading other people. In life lies move faster than the truth. Lets try to be well informed.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by directonpc(m): 10:22am On Jul 19, 2016
dhtml18:

I believe you are right. I use .NET to an extent too, and the IDE is even far more efficient than Android studio. Even XCODE is far far faster to develop than Android studio. All these platforms got their strength and their weaknesses.
ok. Glad we are not throwing leaf at each other today.
Re: .NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves by Borwe: 10:40am On Jul 19, 2016
In this day and age with Mircosoft vulnerabilities, cost, and resource hogging OSs, why would any startup use a .net language which runs only on microsoft use it? Apart from the GUI parts of distributing a software for windows OS, why else would you use c#? And if you are targeting multiple platforms why not settle on Java?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? / VB.NET Problem, Printing Receipt With Thermal Printer From Crystal Report. / Where Are The Flex Developers in Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.