Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help (1259 Views)

Xampp Server User Please Come In And Assist / How Do I Automatically Modify A Row In Mysql After A Set Time Using PHP? / Lets Start A Real Web-deveopment Course Here Html+css+javascript+php+mysql (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by logicalhumour: 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2016
I don't have either of the the apps but can I just install xampp without mysql server and still run mysql?
Re: Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
logicalhumour:
I don't have either of the the apps but can I just install xampp without mysql server and still run mysql?

You clearly don't know what you're saying...

Xampp stands for X -Cross Platform A -pache M -ySql P -HP and P -ERL.

So now sit down and think again, then tell me the answer by yourself

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by bigtt76(f): 4:53pm On Jul 16, 2016
You don't need to 'install MySQL' again as it its already part of the XAMPP stack just like @DanielTheGeek mentioned above. You however, need to start the service to get it rolling grin Note however, that you can only use this on your laptop and not for production environment if you nor want gbege grin

logicalhumour:
Re: Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by logicalhumour: 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
bigtt76:
You don't need to 'install MySQL' again as it its already part of the XAMPP stack just like @DanielTheGeek mentioned above. You however, need to start the service to get it rolling grin Note however, that you can only use this on your laptop and not for production environment if you nor want gbege grin

Then, please, what do I use for production?
Re: Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by bigtt76(f): 5:35pm On Jul 16, 2016
Depending on your server hosting provider and the operating system running on your server, you have by default on most Linux server operating, LAMP L inux A pache M ySQL P HP stack installed and configured as part of the several packages required to launch a web application. Are you in the business?

logicalhumour:

Re: Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
logicalhumour:

Apart from what @bigtt76 said, you can also host your web-apps from home using your laptop or desktop as a server for the production environment.

For linux users, this may help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKJ55ebMcOc
Re: Do I Need To Install Mysql After Installing Xampp?. Pls Help by MozartianDreams(m): 6:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
X (cross platform)
A (Apache)
M (MySQL)
P (PHP)
P (Perl), as already stated by those before me.

You do not need to run an SQL standalone installation anymore because it's prebuilt in it already.

If you're skeptical about functionality, then rest, assured that both are just as powerful as the other.

Though, a separate SQL Server installation might offer you a GUI and Entity modelling features (I mean you can draft out Entity Relationship Diagrams within the software application) but you could just as well do that on paper).

When in 'Development' or Running tests, XAMPP is fine.

When in 'Production' however, You'll need a server machine to do the hosting for you.

Hosting is in two(2) main forms:
1) Dedicated-Hosting (either by yourself or on a dedicated machine given to you by your hosting manager)

2) Shared-Hosting (the more popular one of the two, usually by your hosting provider)

***Running your website on your laptop computer is a bad idea because:

- Constant power supply is needed.
- Total dedication is required (You won't use it for operations you normally would anymore)
- Processing power costs (This becomes an issue when you start getting a lot of traffic to your site)
- Memory costs (If your site eventually becomes like facebook or Instagram, where you receive a lot of pictures and videos from 100's of millions of users, you're going to have to store them somewhere on your laptop or server machine.

You do not need a separate installation of MySQL when You have XAMPP installed. From my experience, this may cause port conflicts (SQL uses 'port: 3306' by default on Windows machines.

If you must have both running on the same Windows User Account, You might have to change the other to 'port: 3307'.

I hope this helped.

(1) (Reply)

Recommend A Cheap Website Hosting Company (with Rails Support) / Help Me Recover My Files Please / Pytorch Scholarship Challenge From Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.