Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,894 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:11 AM

What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? (31109 Views)

What Does Matthew 8:22 Mean By "Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead"? / What Does Matthew 5:38 Really Mean? / Complete Breakdown Of Mathew 24:29-30 Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by trinity11(m): 11:56am On Jul 17, 2016
it is simply telling you that no matter what, don't let anything or anybody stop you from entering the kingdom of God.

Note: the body parts is directly pointing at those people close to you e.g parents, family, spouse, friends etc

Let me rephrase ; it is better for your parents to disowned you than for you to obey them when they tell you not to serve your God wholeheartedly

it is better for u to live as as orphan instead of worshiping the family idol with them.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by kilo4sure: 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
crixtex:

Hell means great pain.... not a garbage dump or something...
Are u a JW??
Nope l am not.

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by LEXYCOM: 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2016
It means you should do away with what ever will cost you heaven......it could be lust of the eye, lust of the flesh and pride of life.........
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by deolaarc(m): 12:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
My Understanding of that passage was that Jesus is making rules for the Pharisees. Who thinks they are justified. The are legallist and a perfectionist. Jesus gave them the rule that you can do anything without the Grace of God and Christ. The last verse vs 48 Be ye therefore perfect as your heavenly father is perfect. Honestly speaking can we? The Grace of God is Sufficient for us.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 17, 2016
Sanchez01:

At the bolded, please ignore. There's no such thing as that. REVELATION gave us graphic details of what would happen and how people would be punished.Anything contrary is regarded as lies, because that would mean God lied on His word, and I know God can never tell lies because he is not man. So that brings us to one person - the said Pastor.

I really dd not mention the name of the pastor before, but I have to now

Dr dk olukoya of MFM was the writer of the book

Well, this means one thing

MFM members are following a liar
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2016
There are people in our lives that we may love who don't allow for the manifestation of God's word in your life. They are there for nothing but pain and destruction. They can ignore you during your trying times but reach out to you when times are hard for them

In a group setting there are people who seem envious of your being around. Always trying to make you feel less than you really are

Something happened in Turkey and France and I reached out to a friend they answered so rudely insulted and cursed me
I said to myself see who I'm worried about
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 17, 2016
horlumiday:
See false doctrine

From MFM founder
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Barristter07: 12:42pm On Jul 17, 2016
its funny how someone will say this scriptural verse should not be taken literally , but will tell you the hell in that verse should be taken literally, but plucking the eyes and cutting the hands should not be taken literally.

What else is the definition of hypocrisy ?
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by afrohi(m): 12:55pm On Jul 17, 2016
eddyjibs:
book of confusion. if Jesus wanted the world to hv a bible he wud hv written it or sent one from d sky. instead of this man made join join conodrum
do u have high fever ?
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Sammy121(m): 1:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
It remind Christians to be heavenly minded, shun earthly distractions and avoid flimsy excuses which could be attributed to mentioned parts of the body.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by MayhorE(m): 1:22pm On Jul 17, 2016
eddyjibs:
book of confusion. if Jesus wanted the world to hv a bible he wud hv written it or sent one from d sky. instead of this man made join join conodrum

Will you please excuse us for a moment?

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by kponkanaG3(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
Sanchez01:
This passage is one of the most direct teachings of Christ. While many could readily describe it as a parable, eye in this regard refers to something precious. From an angle, the idea of using parts of the body is indeed a pointer to saying that as humans, we tend to have some things, properties or achievements that are so precious that one would think if they're lost, that would be the end of the world. A typical example of this could one's wealth, position in life/attainment, children, one's spouse, etc... These things and more can be close to one as one's member. This is why Christ said if you have these things around you and they seem to be cutting you off from being focused on heaven, then you should FIND a way of doing away with them, by 'plucking' them out and by 'cutting them off'. A typical example of this is ELI whose children went on rampage and defiled the things of God but due to excessive love, he could not correct them, even after God had sent him a warning through young Samuel.
Bless you
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by peedeeasobie(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2016
eddyjibs:

That you don't understand something doesn't mean you should condemn it!

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by gp6liveth(m): 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2016
eddyjibs:

How can mustapha or Muhammad or Ibrahim understand things of the spirit when their mission is to kill and rape like their prophet?

1 Like

Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by IBROHIM: 1:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
ugosonics:

It is trying to say, whatsoever that will prevent u from entering the kingdom of God , Avoid it. It doesn't really mean you should pluck off your eyes. There are many temptations , Always pray that the grace of God is there to help you in all situations
clap for urself! Keep determining what's literal and what's implied! Confused people!
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Truthisit: 1:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
Book of confusion to the confused, who have made up their mind to disobey simple laws of liberty, made to set them free from bondages of sin. I pray the evil veil covering your eyes shall be removed and burnt to ashes.

eddyjibs:
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Barigaboy(m): 1:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
It means don't let anything stop u from making heaven.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by sekundosekundo: 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
If smoking, alcohol, masturbation, fornication, adultery, stealing, idolatry, prostitution etc. will make you miss Heaven, do away with them. These may be so important to you like any part of your body Pls do away with them.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by mattmogan88: 2:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
I went to go and buy something
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Ajixegun: 2:40pm On Jul 17, 2016
Jadonjack:

I really dd not mention the name of the pastor before, but I have to now

Dr dk olukoya of MFM was the writer of the book

Well, this means one thing

MFM members are following a liar

Read revelation from the beginning to the end for better understanding. you are going to come across how judgement is going to be given.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Julivas(m): 2:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
It means you must run away from anything that can hinder you to enter into the Kingdom of GOD.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
ipreach:

And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable
for thee that one of thy members should
perish, and not that thy whole body should
be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members shouldperish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Sin most times is caused by pleasurable temptations. Lol. So it literally means that you should do away with those things that will cause you to sin no matter how pleasurable they may be.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by rrhostomy(m): 3:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
[color=#000000][/color] grin its not true but i think that verse supports sharia
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Maksen: 3:55pm On Jul 17, 2016
Very simple translation, it means if ur Eyes are commiting sin then u better remove it for u not to continue sinning, also if ur hand is committing sin then Is better u cut it off so that it can't continue sinning simple. Instead of all ur body to enter hell.
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by badohemmy(m): 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
This Bible verse expressly talks about not allowing anything to stop you from going to heaven, even if it is our own body part. It's beta to cut it off than to go to hell wt it.

Read this article on Thanksgiving, it's well written and encouraging. the importance of Thanksgiving can't be overemphasized.

Thankfulness To God; Through Humanity.
When I was a little boy, I learnt that every food and offering brought to the alter during thanksgiving belonged to God, and these includes bags of rice, bunches of plantain, and money, of which part of was coins which... click the link... www.nairaland.com/3232249/thankfulness-god-through-humanity
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Rapsino(m): 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
eddyjibs:
I have seen a confused man before and now I am seeing one. #readmore
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 17, 2016
DDeliverer:

when it is convenient for them, they would say 'take it as it is', when its not convenient, they would say 'don't take it literally '

ndi madu sef

Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by famayo: 6:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
The "Plucking"of eyes and "Cutting" of eyes was figuratively used in the bible. Christ was merely using parts of the body to make an important point. He was showing that Christians should not tolerate sin as an integral part of their lives. If an individual has a sinful habit, he should overcome it, even though the process may be as painful as the loss of an arm or leg. Christ is saying that it is far better to forsake a sinful pleasure than to lose salvation
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by freddy939: 6:16pm On Jul 17, 2016
ipreach:

And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable
be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members shouldperish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
he meant whatsoever will cos you to sin do away with it if you go ba to verse 27&28. you wil see that he was talking about sexual sin, which sprouts out from the heart... 27&28 says 27

KJV:Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

KJV:But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

so itz all starts with you eyes den your heart process what you have seen... And you act towards it... out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh... So whats itz saying is we should take our eyes off anything that will lead to evil thought and stop processing evill in our heart
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 17, 2016
ipreach:

it means seperate yourself from anything that will make you miss heaven
Re: What Does Matthew 5:29-30 Really Mean? by MOHE: 8:25pm On Jul 17, 2016
I think this could also mean making restitutions where necessary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Catholic Priests May Be Allowed To Marry Amid Papal Changes / How To Become A Super Rich Holy Businessman / ODO OWA: Birth Place of Apostle Joseph Ayo Babalola, Founder CAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.