Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,544 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:38 PM

Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) (43382 Views)

Soldier Uses Bag For His Stomach After Being Injured At The Battlefield. Photo / Baby Born With Internal Organs Outside In Benue State (Disturbing Photos) / Man Spotted In Abuja With His Intestines Out Of His Stomach,Photos Go Viral(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by fingard02k(m): 10:34am On Jul 17, 2016
Last year an English doctor David Williams was in Ghana visiting his daughter who was teaching English and working on a radio show when he met Ethan’s father Charles, who also worked at the radio station.

Dr Williams was asked to examine Ethan and within a year he and his wife Jacquie helped to raise around £51,000 to fly the toddler to the UK for surgery.

Ethan is set to have what Dr Williams has described as “life-saving and life-transforming” surgery on Wednesday.

The three-year-old boy will get life-saving surgery.

Ethan Suglo’s condition is called Exomphalos which means his organs are outside his abdomen.

Looking back on the day he met Ethan in July 2015, Dr Williams told the Press Association: “I was asked when I went out, because I’m a doctor, just to have a look at Ethan.

“So I went thinking I’d see a little African boy with a swollen tummy… malnutrition and worms, and when I got there I was just shocked by what I saw.

Ethan has a condition called Exomphalos which means his organs are outside his abdomen (PA)

“I’d never seen it before, certainly not in a two-year-old. I don’t think I’d ever seen it in my career, I’ve been a doctor 20 or 30 years and I’d never seen this case.

“I wasn’t sure at that time what would be involved, but I did look Charles in the eye and said I’d do what I could to help.”

He said he thought he would contact Ghanaian or Nigerian surgeons and the surgery could be carried out locally, but it quickly became apparent that Ghana did not have the facilities or expertise.

Dr Williams, from Stretton-on-Fosse on the Warwickshire-Gloucestershire border, contacted professors and surgeons in England and a paediatric surgeon at the John Radcliffe Hospital said he could do the operation.

He was told that £25,000 would need to be raised, so in March a fundraising campaign was launched to cover the cost of the operation, flights and additional costs.

Dr Williams said that he has been told the total currently sits at around £51,000 thanks to events such as cake sales and half marathons, as well as help from charity Willing and Abel.

The extra money will help other children, he said.

Talking about how Ethan’s condition affects him, Dr Williams said that Charles has told of how people in their home country refer to them as “the family with the boy who’s pregnant”.

He added: “They don’t let the little boy go out of the house because everybody pokes his tummy and prods at him and makes comments.

“So when he’s at home he will be able to go to school and have a normal life, play football and be a normal boy again.

“He’s incredible really. He’s a very happy child, a very happy disposition. Nothing seems to have fazed him really. He’s met lots of people and he’s very brave.

“But also he just gets on with it. He’s just an adorable three-year-old.”

Ethan’s father Charles said the kindness of Dr and Mrs Williams is “bringing a lot of joy and excitement” to his family.

“It’s a miracle,” he said.

http://www.enzyhub.com/little-boy-born-with-his-organs-outside-his-stomach-exomphalos/

3 Shares

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by fingard02k(m): 10:34am On Jul 17, 2016

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Rednaxelot: 11:00am On Jul 17, 2016
Chisos kwist!

He’s incredible really. He’s a very happy child, a very happy disposition. Nothing seems to have fazed him really. He’s met lots of people and he’s very brave.
He is happy for now cos he is young and does not understand it implications.
He will not be happy with this when he grows older!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by TI1919(m): 11:13am On Jul 17, 2016
It is well

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by cruzita(f): 11:28am On Jul 17, 2016
suffering at such age

God abeg help him

5 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by fingard02k(m): 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2016
cruzita:
suffering at such age

God abeg help him

Seriously I pray they get rid of it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by paiz: 7:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
Some have food but cannot eat
Some can eat but have no food
We have food and we can eat
Glory be to Jesus Christ.

No matter your situation there are people who are in worst situation than you. No matter your problems just lift your eyes to the heaven and thank him for the life you have.

May God have mercy on this young lad and heal him.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by seunakin231(m): 7:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
God sha, showing us he owns us nd do what he wishes to..... Yaweh!!!, feel for the boi sha
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Proffdada: 7:45pm On Jul 17, 2016
Excuse me OP warning :graphic picture undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by kenny091(m): 7:45pm On Jul 17, 2016
Wow
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by musttaiwo: 7:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
God with his handwok
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by SSkillzzz(m): 7:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
holy sh!t...about to poke my guts out....DAMN!!!
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Tsongz(f): 7:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
Help will locate u very soon I pray cry what a happy child

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by JuanJO(m): 7:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
MORAL LESSON
from the look on the picture, this little boy is still happy... just take 2secs and praise the name of almighty God for the gud health he has giving to...

6 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Ruq: 7:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nature's error
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by lonelydora: 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
Wonders shall never end.
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by segebase(m): 7:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
oohh blawd of Gawd
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
Really Serious. God have mercy.

Need something on Jumia?
CONTACT ME NOW!
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Sirmuel1(m): 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
undecided
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by maadman: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
What's this one saying?
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
musttaiwo:
God with his handwok

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by whitebeard(m): 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
guys chill..he already underwent surgery...he is fine now...!!!
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by bless2tom(m): 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
cute boy......I pray for successful surgery
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by perojelly: 7:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
God help him
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by esosuo2: 7:56pm On Jul 17, 2016
God help ur children oh ,

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by iambabaG: 8:02pm On Jul 17, 2016
Take a good look at yourself..
If you were created without any deformity.. You have no excuse to be useless and ungrateful.
Get off your high horse.. Get on your knees and thank your God; at least he counted you lucky!

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by phoromighty(m): 8:05pm On Jul 17, 2016
Exomphalos,Gastrochisis n Omphaloceles are not uncommon in our hospitals ..
After 20yrs f practice,a uk dr hasn't seen 1,I suspect ''blogger's lies" here
Wish d boy d very best..

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by juman(m): 8:05pm On Jul 17, 2016
Wonderful God.

Sad. Very sad.
Africa: the backward continent.
The continent of bad and useless "leaders".
Re: Ghanaian Boy Born With His Organs Outside His Stomach (exomphalos) by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 17, 2016
Chineke me eehhhhhh.... Biko what is this. May God heal him ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

South African Lady Living With HIV Says "I Won’t Allow HIV To Limit Me" / Customs Seizes Container Of Soup From China Worth N27.96 Million In Lagos / Increase Your Libido With This Drink!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.