Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today (2359 Views)

Trump Speaks Against Racism, Calls KKK, Neo-nazis, White Supremacists ‘repugnant / "KKK" In The White House / Donald Trump America's Next President: Rise Of Racism: Race Wars! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 11:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
Lucasbalo:
You are absolutely right again. Only a brainstem will argue about not seeing racial profilling in America. I remember a case of the richest black woman in US by name Oprah Winfrey walks in a high end store on Magnificent Mile in Chicago and a lowly store employee closed the door on spotting her. It became a big scandal here in Chicago and all over the country and the store had to apologize for that. That's a billionaire not some lowly paid self hating white rear kissing foam in the mouth house negro.

You don't need to waste your time anymore on this, the facts are just too obvious for anyone with a brain. This is what L.A Congregational woman, Maxine Waters, was talking about. Is the same thing Jesse Jackson was talking about. Ivy League professor, Cornel West, condemned the mistreatment of blacks. Derrick Bells voiced it that the justice system disempowers people of color. Bill Quigley termed it bias. In a presidential rally in 2008, Barack Obama charged that Blacks and Whites are arrested at "a very different rate, charged at very different rate, and receive sentence at very different rate," for the same crime. That same night, senator Hillary Clinton called it "the disgraced criminal justice system" that incarcerates so many African Americans proportionately than whites.

Even judges that have served in the system, are not denying racial bias in the system either. The below link pertain to issue of youth delinquency and some judges testimonies to that fact of bias in handling matters.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/juvenile/bench/race.html

I suggest we forget this waste of time and let's move on to better things. The evidence is overwhelming already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2016
Appleyard:

At this stage, I will be expecting more screaming from Dear Missy. grin

I dont think someone in your position should be calling anybody little since you are a nobody.

You cited washington university, that didnt work now you are quoting loyola university. Unfortunately for you. The work you quoted has been reviewed and let me give you few excerpts

Los Angeles congresswoman Maxine Waters, for one, believes the system is racist, charging that “the color of your skin dictates whether you will be arrested or not, prosecuted harshly or less harshly, or receive a stiff sentence or gain probation or entry into treatment.” Jesse Jackson, decrying America's “jail-industrial complex,” maintains that blacks are overrepresented in prison populations not because of their criminal activity, but because the justice system holds them to much stricter standards than whites.[1] Ivy League professor Cornel West condemns “the widespread mistreatment of black people, especially black men, by law-enforcement agencies.” Bill Quigley, legal director of the Center for Constitutional Rights, says “the U.S. criminal-justice system is ... a race-based institution where African-Americans are directly targeted and punished in a much more aggressive way than white people.” The late law professor Derrick Bell claimed that the justice system “disempowers people of color.” At a presidential primary debate in 2008, Barack Obama charged that blacks and whites “are arrested at very different rates, are convicted at very different rates, [and] receive very different sentences ... for the same crime.” That same night, Senator Hillary Clinton likewise denounced the “disgrace of a criminal-justice system that incarcerates so many more African-Americans proportionately than whites.”

Through much repetition, these allegations have gradually acquired the status of conventional wisdom. According to an April 2012 Washington Post-ABC News poll, 84% of black Americans feel that the justice system—from the police to the courtroom to the penitentiary—treats them inequitably; i.e., that racism pervades the system. In other surveys since the early 1990s, that figure has consistently ranged between 73% and 89%. The implications of this core belief, which has so firmly embedded itself in the worldview of black Americans, are monumental.

[b]
Examining the Evidence

The criminal-justice process is comprised of a number of stages, or decision points, at which law-enforcement personnel (such as police and judges) must determine how they ought to proceed—i.e., arrest or release a suspect; convict or acquit a defendant; impose a harsh or mild sentence on a convict; etc.

First comes the arrest stage. Blacks, who are 12.6% of the U.S. population, currently account for 38.9% of all violent crime arrests nationwide—including 32.5% of all rapes, 55.5% of all robberies, and 33.9% of all aggravated assaults. (Further, blacks are 29.8% of all property-crime arrestees.) Critics charge that these statistics only prove the bias of a system where racism reigns, and where blacks are unfairly targeted by the police.

Thanks to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)—an extensive, scientific survey of U.S. residents conducted annually by the Bureau of Justice Statistics—we can determine whether or not this charge is valid. Victims of violent crimes (such as robbery, rape, and assault) are usually able to see an attacker well enough to at least identify his or her skin color—along with other distinguishing physical characteristics, like sex, height, weight, and clothing. Since these descriptions are generally what enable the police to make arrests in such cases, even the most racist officer has very little room for discretion; i.e., he cannot arbitrarily arrest a black person if a victim identifies a white offender. NCVS data show that, statistically, the average black is far more likely than the average white to be identified, by a victim, as the perpetrator of a violent crime. This racial gap, moreover, is approximately equal to the racial gap in actual arrest rates. In other words, blacks are arrested for violent crimes at higher rates than whites not because of police racism, but because they commit those crimes at higher rates than whites. The earliest solid evidence for this dates back to 1978, when a study of robbery and aggravated assault in eight cities found that the rates at which victims and witnesses identified blacks and whites, respectively, as perpetrators, were essentially equal to the rates at which blacks and whites were arrested for those particular crimes. As Manhattan Institute scholar Heather MacDonald notes, this finding has been “replicated many times since, across a range of crimes.”

Conversely, in property crimes such as burglary, larceny theft, auto theft, and arson, which are far less likely to have witnesses, and for which a great deal of proactive investigation is necessary to find and arrest the suspect, a racist police officer would have a much greater opportunity to arbitrarily, unjustly arrest blacks. Therefore, if police racism were indeed responsible for the comparatively high overall arrest rate of blacks, we would expect to find a greater racial imbalance in arrests for property crimes than for violent personal crimes. But in fact, the racial imbalance is considerably greater in violent-crime arrests. In a review of the literature on this subject, the politically liberal author Michael Tonry concluded that “black incarceration rates are substantially higher than those for whites … [because] black crime rates for imprisonable crimes are substantially higher than those for whites.”[2]

Nor does the race of the police officers appear to play a role in the aforementioned figures. If it were true that racial discrimination by white police officers contributes to the high arrest rate of blacks, it would logically follow that the arrest-related decisions of black officers should differ significantly from those of their white colleagues; i.e., one would expect black officers to arrest blacks a lower rate than do white officers. There is no evidence of such a difference, however. Black and white officers have very similar arrest patterns.[/b]

More

The question of whether the trial and sentencing stages of the justice system are plagued by racism has been studied extensively for several decades. As early as 1983, the Panel on Sentencing Research, which was established by the liberal-leaning National Academy of Sciences (NAS) on request of the U.S. Justice Department, reviewed more than 70 studies on sentencing patterns and concluded:[b] "Our overall assessment of the available research suggests that factors other than racial discrimination in the sentencing process account for most of the disproportionate representation of black males in U.S. prisons ..." Further, the NAS reported that it had found “no evidence of a widespread systematic pattern of discrimination in sentencing.”[7] In 1985 the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology concluded that a disproportionate number of blacks were in prison not because of a double standard of justice, but because of the disproportionate number of crimes they committed.[8] That same year, federal government statistician Patrick Langan conducted an exhaustive study of black and white incarceration rates and found that “even if racism [in sentencing] exists, it might explain only a small part” of the black overrepresentation among prison inmates.[9] In a 1987 review essay of the three most comprehensive books examining the role of race in the American criminal-justice system, the journal Criminology concluded that there was little evidence of anti-black discrimination.[10] In his 1987 book The Myth of a Racist Criminal Justice System, William Wilbanks presented a summary of "what is known about race and sentencing," where he wrote:

"Extralegal variables (for example, race, sex, age, socioeconomic status of defendant) are not as predictive of sentence as legal variables (for example, type of crime, strength of evidence)."

"The black/white variation in sentences is generally reduced to near zero when several legal variables are introduced as controls."

"There is no evidence that black judges are less likely than white judges to send blacks to prison or to give them lengthy terms."[/b]

The most exhaustive, best-designed study of sentencing patterns ever conducted—a 1990 analysis of more than 11,000 recently convicted criminals in California—found that the severity of sentences depended heavily on such factors as prior criminal records, the seriousness of the crimes, and whether guns were used in the commission of those crimes; race was found to have no effect whatsoever.[12] Likewise, a 1991 RAND Corporation study found that a defendant's racial or ethnic background bore little or no relationship to conviction rates; far more important than race were such factors as the amount of evidence presented, and whether or not a credible eyewitness testified.[13]

In 1993 a Justice Department study tracked the experience of more than 10,000 accused felons in America's 75 largest cities found that black defendants fared better than their white counterparts—66% of black defendants were actually prosecuted, versus 69% of white defendants. Among those prosecuted, 75% of blacks were convicted, as compared to 78% of whites.[14] Also in 1993, criminologist Alfred Blumstein found that when comparing black arrests for homicide and the presence of blacks in prison for that crime, African Americans were significantly underrepresented among incarcerated inmates. Liberal criminologist Michael Tonry wrote in 1995: “Racial differences in patterns of offending, not racial bias by police and other officials, are the principal reason that such greater proportions of blacks than whites are arrested, prosecuted, convicted and imprisoned.”

A 1996 analysis of 55,000 big-city felony cases found that black defendants were convicted at a lower rate than whites in 12 of the 14 federally designated felony categories.[15] This finding was consistent with the overwhelming consensus of other, previous, well-designed studies, most of which indicated that black defendants were slightly less likely to be convicted of criminal charges against them than white defendants.[16] In 1997, liberal criminologists Robert Sampson and Janet Lauritsen undertook a painstaking review of the voluminous literature on charging and sentencing, and concluded that “large racial differences in criminal offending,” and not racism, explained why proportionately more blacks than whites were in prison—and for longer terms.[17]

Nobody is denying that racism exists. But if it exists on an institutional level the only evidence that can support that assumption is if every race is commiting the same amount of offence and getting different punishments base on the color of their skin. Every study shows there are more factors in play such as their socio-economic status and criminal history among others.

They didnt teach you that in your under the tree law school?
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 12:57am On Jul 20, 2016
Missy89:

I dont think someone in your position should be calling anybody little since you are a nobody.

You cited washington university, that didnt work now you are quoting loyola university. Unfortunately for you. The work you quoted has been reviewed and let me give you few excerpts

They didn't teach you that in your under the tree law school?

Now its even more clearer that you simply cannot comprehend facts. You asked for books, and I gave you a token of legal jurists who were even arguing against but could neither deny the fact that racial profiling is also a fact in US justice system. And when you rushed to paste their books excerpts, you couldn't take note of the caveats in their works, because you failed to read in between the lines.
Then I gave you the works of another white legal jurist, Bill Quigley, whose 14 points summation consisted of a lot of facts and testimonies, even before congress, and all you could do was to paste a vague review that did not even disproved anything in Quigley's work. Point to me which part of the vague review pin-pointedly reviewed the work of Quigley? Maybe you should explain what warranted the recent killings of the two blacks that has led to the counter killings America is witnessing now. Tell me about Tim Scott. Explain to me how in a given population of 10,000 people, 1000 are Red, and out of which 650 are held to be criminals, arrested and locked away, while in the same population, Green people are 7,400, out of which ONLY 320 people are identified as criminals, arrested and are locked away; despite both Red and Green having the same or relative crime rate levels? How do you explain that? You are only deceiving yourself, my friend. Racial bias is inherent in the US justice system. Take it or leave it.

The legal jurists in the above link certainly knew that disparity and inequality prevails even in dealing with youth delinquencies, and they have virtually attested to the fact that my under tree school of facts is way better than the Langley institute of zombiefication, where nothing is ever real. Not even the numerous pictures and videos of police racial motivated killings and brutality.

But don't you worry, dearie. I still believe in you. cool

Stay well.

1 Like

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 1:48am On Jul 20, 2016
Appleyard:

Now its even more clearer that you simply cannot comprehend facts. You asked for books, and I gave you a token of legal jurists who were even arguing against but could neither deny the fact that racial profiling is also a fact in US justice system. And when you rushed to paste their books excerpts, you couldn't take note of the caveats in their works, because you failed to read in between the lines.
Then I gave you the works of another white legal jurist, Bill Quigley, whose 14 points summation consisted of a lot of facts and testimonies, even before congress, and all you could do was to paste a vague review that did not even disproved anything in Quigley's work. Point to me which part of the vague review pin-pointedly reviewed the work of Quigley? Maybe you should explain what warranted the recent killings of the two blacks that has led to the counter killings America is witnessing now. Tell me about Tim Scott. Explain to me how in a given population of 10,000 people, 1000 are Red, and out of which 650 are held to be criminals, arrested and locked away, while in the same population, Green people are 7,400, out of which ONLY 320 people are identified as criminals, arrested and are locked away; despite both Red and Green having the same or relative crime rate levels? How do you explain that? You are only deceiving yourself, my friend. Racial bias is inherent in the US justice system. Take it or leave it.

The legal jurists in the above link certainly knew that disparity and inequality prevails even in dealing with youth delinquencies, and they have virtually attested to the fact that my under tree school of facts is way better than the Langley institute of zombiefication, where nothing is ever real. Not even the numerous pictures and videos of police racial motivated killings and brutality.

But don't you worry, dearie. I still believe in you. cool

Stay well.

Crime rate levels are not the same among every race. That is just BS. There are some crimes however that have similar participants but the level of those arrested are not the same for many reasons. One of them is goverment policies mostly supported the black politicians in the first place and there is also difference in offending

One of the cop involved in the shooting was a Mexican american. Are Latinos in cahoots with their white overlords to target blacks? I will take a look at your junk link later.

Your insults dont mean anything to me. You always fall back to platitudes when you have no coherent point.

1 Like

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 5:01am On Jul 20, 2016
Appleyard:

You don't need to waste your time anymore on this, the facts are just too obvious for anyone with a brain. This is what L.A Congregational woman, Maxine Waters, was talking about. Is the same thing Jesse Jackson was talking about. Ivy League professor, Cornel West, condemned the mistreatment of blacks. Derrick Bells voiced it that the justice system disempowers people of color. Bill Quigley termed it bias. In a presidential rally in 2008, Barack Obama charged that Blacks and Whites are arrested at "a very different rate, charged at very different rate, and receive sentence at very different rate," for the same crime. That same night, senator Hillary Clinton called it "the disgraced criminal justice system" that incarcerates so many African Americans proportionately than whites.

Even judges that have served in the system, are not denying racial bias in the system either. The below link pertain to issue of youth delinquency and some judges testimonies to that fact of bias in handling matters.

I suggest we forget this waste of time and let's move on to better things. The evidence is overwhelming already.
Spot on.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 8:18am On Jul 20, 2016
Missy89:

Crime rate levels are not the same among every race. That is just BS. There are some crimes however that have similar participants but the level of those arrested are not the same for many reasons. One of them is goverment policies mostly supported the black politicians in the first place and there is also difference in offending

One of the cop involved in the shooting was a Mexican american. Are Latinos in cahoots with their white overlords to target blacks? I will take a look at your junk link later.

Your insults dont mean anything to me. You always fall back to platitudes when you have no coherent point.

I don't throw insults as personal stunts. Maybe I overreacted to your kiddie missile throwing. Therefore, am saying, "sorry", is not in my person to throw verbal insults. Its something that I have always tried to avoid. please accept my apology. Thanks.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 2:15pm On Jul 20, 2016
Appleyard:

I don't throw insults as personal stunts. Maybe I overreacted to your kiddie missile throwing. Therefore, am saying, "sorry", is not in my person to throw verbal insults. Its something that I have always tried to avoid. please accept my apology. Thanks.

Thats fine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Raoul Moat: Britain's Most Wanted Villain / Why Donald Trump Attacked The NFL Players Who Take A Knee / Ukrainian Man Brought Back Another Putin Surface-to-air Missile System Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.