Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship (15546 Views)

Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Becomes Emir, Drops Title / Oluwo Akanbi Visits House Of Representatives Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 18, 2016
The Oluwo of Iwo land, Oba AbdulRasheed Akanbi, has blamed the economic crisis facing the nation on his colleagues (monarchs), who he accused of worshiping idols instead of God Almighty.
Oba Akanbi, who said this in an interview with our correspondent in Osogbo on Sunday, stated that the current economic crisis facing Nigeria was more of a spiritual problem.

The Oluwo said God told him that the suffering confronting Nigerians was as a result of idol worshipping allegedly practised by many monarchs in the country.

“God himself told me to check the cause of Nigeria’s problem in the books of Kings in the Bible. I am a Muslim and this is not in the Quran; so God asked me to check it in the Bible and read how God punished Israelites with famine and sword whenever any of their kings turned to idol worshiping.

“God said this is what is happening in Nigeria now because many kings are into idol worshiping. That is why I want the President to invite all monarchs in Nigeria to a meeting and ask everyone of us to renounce idol worshiping.”

“I am not into idol worshiping and I will never go into it. God has given me authority; when I say a thing, it happens because of the authority God has given me.”
The Oluwo warned that God would begin to punish any recalcitrant king, saying such could be visited with death or could be turned into animals, like King Nebuchadnezzar in the Bible.

Oba Akanbi, who said all monarchs were occupying their stools as representatives of God, added that engaging in idol worshiping was tantamount to denigrating the name of God, who enthroned them.
He said idol worshiping was the reason monarchs were no longer accorded the kind of respect they naturally deserved.

“The reason spiritual leaders such as Pastor ( E.A) Adeboye and Bishop ( David) Oyedepo are far more respected than many monarchs is because they stand for God and do not worship idol,” he added.

The monarch appealed to President Muhammadu Buahari to invite all monarchs in the country to a meeting and urge them to renounce idol worshiping, saying the nation would begin to experience a turnaround the moment that was done.

http://punchng.com/oluwo-blames-monarchs-nations-economic-woes/

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by sarrki(m): 8:17pm On Jul 18, 2016
No kabiyesi. Nah NDA & IPOB

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by dayowunmi(m): 8:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
The king is correct, but the issue is also more than that. Even the so called Christians and moslems hardly follow the tenets of their respective religions. Both Dasuki and his benefactors are Christians and moslems and yet they looted the treasury with reckless abandon. The lecturers collecting bribes and sleeping with girls are both Christians and moslems alike too, infact I knew a lecturer in my polytechnic days who's renowned for collecting bribes and the dude was in the prayer warrior in my church. But I believe, the solution to Nigeria issues is turning to God and also doing the right thing, that was why the Bible says Righteousness exalts a nation, Sin is a reproach to any people. The righteousness being referred to is the act of doing the right thing, that is, we don't just sit down and wait on God to do everything, because Result responds to efforts, prayer is no substitute for skill.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nne5: 8:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
Lmfao This is funny.Buhari once blamed God now this one's blaming idols chai.
God or idols are not the problems. The problems are una leaders.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by TheFreeOne: 8:58pm On Jul 18, 2016
Chai.....shebi I talk am the other day.

The rise of these new bling bling chop knuckle kings won't do our culture / tradition any good.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 18, 2016
dayowunmi:
The king is correct, but the issue is also more than that. Even the so called Christians and moslems hardly follow the tenets of their respective religions. Both Dasuki and his benefactors are Christians and moslems and yet they looted the treasury with reckless abandon. The lecturers collecting bribes and sleeping with girls are both Christians and moslems alike too, infact I knew a lecturer in my polytechnic days who's renowned for collecting bribes and the dude was in the prayer warrior in my church. But I believe, the solution to Nigeria issues is turning to God and also doing the right thing, that was why the Bible says Righteousness exalts a nation, Sin is a reproach to any people. The righteousness being referred to is the act of doing the right thing, that is, we don't just sit down and wait on God to do everything, because Result responds to efforts, prayer is no substitute for skill.
Good governance has absolutely nothing to do with religion. There are more "no religion" in developed countries yet see how fast these countries are developing. Infact the japanese and chinese still worship their idols yet they are progressing at an alarming rate. Like you said, it's all about doing the right thing, butbit has absolutely nothing to do with religion either idol, christian or islam.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2016
Nne5:
Lmfao
This is funny.Buhari once blamed God now this one's blaming idols chai.

God or idols are not the problems.
The problems are una leaders.
I found that article very funny and ridiculous too. I began to wonder why an Oba would be reasoning like a 4year old kid .

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by dayowunmi(m): 11:11pm On Jul 18, 2016
princey83:

Good governance has absolutely nothing to do with religion. There are more "no religion" in developed countries yet see how fast these countries are developing. Infact the japanese and chinese still worship their idols yet they are progressing at an alarming rate. Like you said, it's all about doing the right thing, butbit has absolutely nothing to do with religion either idol, christian or islam.
I still believe religion has some part to play in Africa's development, but it's our mentality that has the most part to play. Yes, i do agree that there's a lot of countries who are first world nations and are not religion centric as we are over here. However Africa is different from other Continents, in the sense that our forefathers worshipped several dieties some which required human bloodshed and some other evil and primitive practices and some of this practices probably continue even to this day, as a result of these prior occultic practices you discover that many things are not working well, take for example, Africa is the most natural resourced continent and yet the poorest continent. At the end, it all depends on your perspective sha, you may not really believe in some of these things but they are real.

6 Likes

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 1:15am On Jul 19, 2016
dayowunmi:

I still believe religion has some part to play in Africa's development, but it's our mentality that has the most part to play. Yes, i do agree that there's a lot of countries who are first world nations and are not religion centric as we are over here. However Africa is different from other Continents, in the sense that our forefathers worshipped several dieties some which required human bloodshed and some other evil and primitive practices and some of this practices probably continue even to this day, as a result of these prior occultic practices you discover that many things are not working well, take for example, Africa is the most natural resourced continent and yet the poorest continent. At the end, it all depends on your perspective sha, you may not really believe in some of these things but they are real.
There were the crusaders, slavery, killing of natives in Australia, Canada and the US e.t.c There were more bloodshed in developed countries in those days than in Africa but that did not draw them back. The whites in Australia almost wiped out all the aborigenes, yet look at Australia today.

All what our fore fathers did had nothing to do with the present state of our economy in Africa. Is south africa not an African country too, then why is it more advanced than even some South American and European countries

Do you know ancient japanese are also guilty of offering human sacrifices to their gods Humans were sacrificed on a mssive scale in japan on festivals, deity worship, during construction of ancient structures e.t.c South African blacks till engage in fetish practices too, yet that is not holding the country back.

Africans are quick to blame their misfortune on some evil spirit rather than blame their dishonesty, hypocrisy, and corrupt manners. The same oluwo that got his crown through fetish sacrifices is now spilling rubbish. Does he even know the meaning of oluwo (olu-awo) if he wants to preach about the idolatory worship in yoruba land, then he should renounce his throne and become an islamic missionary. He can't eat his cake and have it too.

When people starts becoming honest and morally upright irrespective of whether they are religious or not, then good changes would start happening.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Towncrier247: 7:52am On Jul 19, 2016
Very funny, so tbey dont worship idols in China, Japan and Hong Kong?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by chiefololade: 7:53am On Jul 19, 2016
21st century oba
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by ReabridCharles(m): 7:53am On Jul 19, 2016
Oba, take a pill and chill aiit?

Idol ko!

Not unless you mean the idol in power like Buhari, fashola, Tinubu et al

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by ZainabOs(f): 7:53am On Jul 19, 2016
grt
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by elmisti(m): 7:55am On Jul 19, 2016
The missionaies can now say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. am nt surprised tho. Since dat ooni can be so calous nd culturally degrading.........nigeria is among worlds most religious nations.....make hin God kuku kill us all na
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by mmsen: 7:55am On Jul 19, 2016
This man is a fool.

You can worship idols and still create economic growth - don't Asians pray to their ancestors and to statues?

Who you pray to is not what drives an economy.

How you plan and execute that plan is what grows (or destroys) an economy.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by osemoses1234(m): 7:55am On Jul 19, 2016
Wetin dis small boy when call him self Oba sabi....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by IamTheAlmighty(m): 7:55am On Jul 19, 2016
Just imagine the nonsense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Project400: 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
Interesting
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by sanmibukunmi: 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
These so called Kings just keep disgracing the Yoruba culture and religion..... what a shame.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
If it was an exam I would've graded him F9. He didn't see the real reason: Nigerians turning every wild animal they capture into bush meat peppersoup.

2 Likes

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by 9jacodedgist(m): 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
not funny
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
Oluwo made sense. Tell the president. Unless if buhari is an idol worshipper.

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by freshness2020: 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
The swagger king
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by canalily(m): 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
Idolundecided what has that got to do with our economy? Do we practice idolism more than our white brethren? Yet they put theirs to development, ours is to kill and....
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Sunnycliff(m): 7:56am On Jul 19, 2016
Though we need God but we need to understand that God demands 100% service to him which if it's lacking, idol worship would be preferable.

But faith without works is dead! The government and all stake holders should think of good economic policies joor!

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 19, 2016
No, that is not the cause...or idol worshipping countries like Japan and atheist countries like China would have been broke.

The cause of our economic crisis is our reliance on revenue from selling raw materials...whose prices are subject to fluctuation.

As this expert explains...

Where crude oil (and gas) is the booming export sector, the non-oil export sector may be crowded out by the oil sector and the non-tradable goods sector of the economy. This can happen when the oil revenue windfall increases domestic demand for non-tradable goods and pushes up domestic prices leading to an appreciation of the real exchange rate which in turn reduces the competitiveness of the non-oil export sector. This will in turn lead to a reduction in non-oil exports in both quantum and value terms.

The oil windfall may also lead to movement of the factors of production in the economy. For instance, capital and labor (and land) may shift from the non-oil export sector to the oil sector (in order to maintain or increase reserves and production) and the non-tradable goods sector (to take advantage of the growing domestic demand). This explains why the increase in oil prices and the subsequent oil revenue windfall in many oil-exporting countries have tended to depress their non-oil export sector while at the same time generating a boom in both the oil and the non-tradable goods sectors. With capital and labor shifting from the non-oil export sector to the oil-sector and non-traded goods sector, firms in the non-oil export sector are forced to either close down or reduce their scale of operation. The boom in the oil and non-traded goods sector increases the demand for imported goods. This may not be a problem in the short-term so long as the country has enough foreign exchange to pay for the imports.

The depression in the non-oil export sector and the boom in the other two sectors have medium to long term implications for the economy because the oil windfall will not be permanent given the volatility, unpredictability and exhaustibility of crude oil. For instance, if there is a decline in oil prices and oil revenue, the lagging and collapsing non-oil export sector will not be able to compensate for the drop in oil revenue while domestic demand for the non-traded goods and imports remain sticky. Consequently, the country will be forced to borrow from the international financial market to compensate for the decline in oil revenue. Over time, external debts will increase and so will the debt service obligations. Even when oil prices go up later and there is another round of oil windfall, it is difficult to correct the earlier damage or distortions created by the initial or previous oil windfall. In some cases, the oil exporting country may be forced to adopt some form of structural adjustment program (SAP) to correct such distortions or imbalances. Some of these SAPs are painful and may increase the prevalence, depth and severity of poverty.
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by saintdennis(m): 7:57am On Jul 19, 2016
Wonder when people will realise religion is a farce.

Even the whites have done way with it, the Chinese have taken matters into their own hands.

Blacks are here in Africa still referring to the sky as heaven

3 Likes

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Toluwani111: 7:57am On Jul 19, 2016
Gbagaun
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Kayendy(m): 7:57am On Jul 19, 2016
Very funny... ıf true countries lıke amerıca should be. a fourth world country nı...
Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by Lilimax(f): 7:58am On Jul 19, 2016
Akuko igba! 21st century oba undecided shocked

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Akanbi Blames Nigeria's Economic Crisis On Idol Worship by supereagle(m): 7:59am On Jul 19, 2016
It is corruption and mismanagement that are killing us.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beautiful People Of Igala Land And Her Unique Traditional Way Of Dressing / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large / Is This Traditional Dresses Still Look Good In South Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.