Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,201 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Ekiti Kete - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ekiti Kete (60086 Views)

Poll: Your Local Government Area

Ado Ekiti: 25% (1 vote)
Efon Alaaye: 50% (2 votes)
Ekiti East: 0% (0 votes)
Ekiti South West: 0% (0 votes)
Ekiti West: 25% (1 vote)
Emure: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Ekiti Kete: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti Kete by Kilode1: 12:02am On Sep 09, 2010
hin okun l'ibe o!
Re: Ekiti Kete by Kunbee: 12:05am On Sep 09, 2010
E okun o
Re: Ekiti Kete by daylae(m): 11:18am On Sep 09, 2010
Na igbo you guys dey speak.
Re: Ekiti Kete by Kunbee: 10:24pm On Sep 09, 2010
get out
Re: Ekiti Kete by seyibrown(f): 11:58pm On Sep 09, 2010
daylae:

Na igbo you guys dey speak.

grin Ee si Igbo! The missing accent notations may make it look like that! Are you 'Ekiti Abroad'?
S'ori lo mi rin a s'ekiti a bo'se!
Re: Ekiti Kete by IFELEKE(m): 5:34pm On Sep 11, 2010
seyibrown:

Hin pele l'ibe oooo! O to'jo meta! S'alafia ni gbogbo rin se?
okun awe, ala la i'se. . .iwo sikan? se kete re i lo leto leto? aba ria a gbe a o.
In okun o kete ule,eye ria a ti a leyin o. . .Ase!
Re: Ekiti Kete by Olumogun: 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2010
Ekiti kete, inku orire oh. Eledumare a baa tu upinle ra see lasiko ki Fayemi gori usejoba yio. Aasee.

Open Letter to Fayemi

The people of Ekiti State, who had stood by you all these 4years because they believed in you, welcome you to the Government House.
It was a journey that took us 4 years to attain; yes no time is too long to get to ones destiny.
Now that you are here, REMEMBER THE SON OF WHO YOU ARE.
Do not disappoint the FAITH & FATE of Ekiti people.
You could be the long awaited JOSHUA who will turn the waste land of Ekiti into a PROMISE LAND.
Once again, you are welcome.
Re: Ekiti Kete by Nobody: 12:28am On Oct 17, 2010
Olumogun:

Ekiti kete, inku orire oh. Eledumare a baa tu upinle ra see lasiko ki Fayemi gori usejoba yio. Aasee.

Open Letter to Fayemi

The people of Ekiti State, who had stood by you all these 4years because they believed in you, welcome you to the Government House.
It was a journey that took us 4 years to attain; yes no time is too long to get to ones destiny.
Now that you are here, REMEMBER THE SON OF WHO YOU ARE.
Do not disappoint the FAITH & FATE of Ekiti people.
You could be the long awaited JOSHUA who will turn the waste land of Ekiti into a PROMISE LAND.
Once again, you are welcome.

Can you speak Ekiti fluently ?

plz abeg, help us here. . . . A lot of us want to learn our motherland language. smiley smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-529175.0.html
Re: Ekiti Kete by Olumogun: 11:48pm On Oct 17, 2010
Omo Ekiti nimi lona mejeji koniyan igba-ha saye.
Botilejepe mi fibe gbele, mo gbo ede ule debi oniyan le gbo.

Anti Ileke-idi, ope ki moti itele gbogbo oro re lori Nairaland.
Re: Ekiti Kete by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 18, 2010
Olumogun:

Omo Ekiti nimi lona mejeji koniyan igba-ha saye.
Botilejepe mi fibe gbele, mo gbo ede ule debi oniyan le gbo.

Anti Ileke-idi, ope ki moti itele gbogbo oro re lori Nairaland.

Ahh, I am jealous. I'm willing to learn cry cry

lol ok oh. Kilo wa ri nigba ti o fi n tele gbogbo oro mi?
Re: Ekiti Kete by Olumogun: 12:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
Eyi ko poju ninu gbogbo oro koo dasi lori Nairaland ni mo ti apere oni ko logbon lori. = Most of ur contributions on Nairaland shows sign of a sensible person.

Mo de ri pelupelu pe o boni kon-kon ja tabi soro arifin. = I also find out that U don't quarrel or insult anybody.

(Am serious, not just trying to praise U)
Re: Ekiti Kete by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 18, 2010
Olumogun:

Eyi ko poju ninu gbogbo oro koo dasi lori Nairaland ni mo ti apere oni ko logbon lori. = Most of your contributions on Nairaland shows sign of a sensible person.

Mo de ri pelupelu pe o boni kon-kon ja tabi soro arifin. = I also find out that U don't quarrel or insult anybody.

(Am serious, not just trying to praise U)

awwwwww. That warms my heart, coming from another Ekiti grin grin
Re: Ekiti Kete by opetope: 4:36pm On Oct 21, 2010
N ora libibe i o. Emure Ekiti ni mo ti a . Kari omo emure libe
Re: Ekiti Kete by Olumogun: 9:19pm On Oct 23, 2010
^^^ opetope
oooh! in-okun oh!
se ala lose?
Re: Ekiti Kete by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 26, 2010
opetope:

N ora libibe i o. Emure Ekiti ni mo ti a . Kari omo emure libe
o kaabo, omo ora ekiti smiley
Re: Ekiti Kete by losfan(f): 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2010
In ora ooo
Omo ekiti!!!!!
kete ra lako ere oko dele oh.

Emi omo Ikere ekiti.

smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Ekiti Kete by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 28, 2010
losfan:

In ora ooo
Omo ekiti!!!!!
kete ra lako ere oko dele oh.

Emi omo Ikere ekiti.

smiley smiley smiley smiley
o kaabo, omo ria.

Welcome o! Always a blessed day when I come upon another one of my kind cheesy
Re: Ekiti Kete by IFELEKE(m): 2:50pm On Apr 23, 2011
In Okun O!
Re: Ekiti Kete by Kunbee: 11:46pm On Apr 23, 2011
Okun ooo
Re: Ekiti Kete by olawaltz(m): 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2011
This is nice, makes me miss my grandmother.
Re: Ekiti Kete by IFELEKE(m): 7:58am On Jul 13, 2011
In Ora O kete ule,o t'orun!
Re: Ekiti Kete by kokoye(m): 6:26pm On Jul 13, 2011
in pele lu beee o.
Re: Ekiti Kete by busybody20: 6:22pm On Jul 17, 2011
e okun o
Re: Ekiti Kete by NegroNtns(m): 11:50pm On Jul 17, 2011
Awe, aki wen lu bee.

Aye a ye o awe.
Re: Ekiti Kete by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 18, 2011
busybody20:

e okun o

Isi ni o? cheesy

Negro_Ntns:

Awe, aki wen lu bee.

Aye a ye o awe.

Oya translate
Re: Ekiti Kete by NegroNtns(m): 4:56am On Jul 18, 2011
Folks, I gree you all in here.

May your lives be Blessed!
Re: Ekiti Kete by Oluschenco(m): 3:40pm On Jul 18, 2011
Okun kete ile. Ao can i tel my lady in Ado that 'i love u' in her dialect.
Re: Ekiti Kete by IFELEKE(m): 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2011
In okun o kete ule, se ala ni?

Oluschenco:

Okun kete ile. Ao can i tel my lady in Ado that 'i love u' in her dialect.
It's almost the same to the conventional yoruba way but you can spice it up by saying. . .Ife mi,kimo ba ti ri o,inu mi a dun,ara mi a se giri,awe,ife re e'e pa mi bi otin.

Ileke-IdI:

Isi ni o? cheesy

Oya translate
Awe,ot'orun,se ala lu ese? ile-iwe re sikan? se kete uhn n lo leto leto?
Re: Ekiti Kete by Oluschenco(m): 12:57pm On Jul 19, 2011
Tanx ifeleke, o ti min ko mi le de aba mi.
Re: Ekiti Kete by IFELEKE(m): 5:30pm On Jul 19, 2011
Oluschenco:

Tanx ifeleke, o ti min ko mi le de aba mi.
no wahala omo aba mi, Aba ri a gbe a,Eye ria a ti a leyin. . .

Gbogbo Ile,
I'll be dropping notes on various towns that populate the Ekiti Nation soon.

In Okun O!
Re: Ekiti Kete by Oluschenco(m): 10:15pm On Jul 19, 2011
Ife, Tanx 4dat
Re: Ekiti Kete by IFELEKE(m): 6:03pm On Jul 20, 2011
The People
The Ekitis, whose ancestors migrate from Ile-Ife as a people, form one of the largest ehnic groups in Yorubaland. Ekitis are culturally homogeneous and the speak a dialect of Yoruba language known as Ekiti. The homogeneous nature of Ekiti confers on the state some uniqueness among the states of the federation. Slight differences are noticeable in the Ekiti dialect of the Yoruba language spoken by the people. This is informed and influenced by their spatial locations, especially the border communities to other states. For example the people of Ado local government area do not speak exactly the same dialect with the people of Ijero local government area, while the people of Ikole area speak something different from the people of Ikere area. The communities influenced by their locations include Otun (Moba land) that speaks a dialect close to the one spoken by the Igbominas in Kwara State.

The people of Okeako, Irele, Omuo-Oke speaks a dialect similar to that of Ijumus in Kwara/Kogi States. The people of Ekiti West and Efon-Alaaye local government areas, that is, the Efon Alaaye and Okemesi communities speak a similar dialect to that of Ijesas of Osun State. However , part of the uniqueness of the Ekitis is that where ever is your own part of the state, you will understand well, when the other Ekiti man/woman speaks, inspite of the dialectal variations. in addition, all towns in Ekiti State take a common suffix, "Ekiti," after their names. the main staple food of the people of Ekiti is pounded yam with vegetable soup.

Ekiti as a people settle in nucleus urban patterns, well linked with network of roads. The State can boast of more than 127 large and small, ancient and modern towns, located on hills and valleys that characterise the state from which the confinement takes its name, Ekiti, that is, 'Okiti' meaning hill. Ekiti State, apart from the fact that it is the only state with a warm spring in Nigeria is the watershed and source of some prominent rivers such as Ero, Ose, Ogbese and others. The people of Ekiti are hard-working , upright, studious and very articulate. Ekiti men are predominantly farmers but women engage in trading. RELIGION The people are mostly Muslims and Christians while some are still traditional religionists.

Culture & Traditions
The state is highly rich in culture. They have their own unique traditional way of: Dressing, Dancing, Festival,religion and other ways of life. As enumerated below: The rulers of the Towns are Obas like other Yoruba Towns. Traditionally, the natural rulers in Ekiti State, whose people are Yoruba, are usually described as sacred or divine kings. Their installation and coronation are performed with solemn and lengthy rites which set them apart, thereafter living an ordered ceremonial existence, secluded in their palaces, subjected to the many rituals of court and approached only with infinite respect. They rarely appeared in public, except on ceremonial occasions. By ancient customs, the Obas were not only the heads of their towns and kingdoms, but by their personifications, reincarnating also all their ancestors back to the origin of the dynasties. They are also the titular heads of all religious sets in their kingdoms. Their appointments are, partly by divination, made by the king makers who are invariably the high chiefs. They are appointed from among the children of past rulers. The ceremonies between their appointments and coronation are elaborate. The sacredness of their offices was neither empty nor nominal; they are regarded by their people as divinity with whose well being, their own conditions are bound up. They are the sources of honour, able to bestow titles and chieftaincies. The Obas are also the fountain of justice. In the State’s framework, Obas are not expected to take part in partisan politics. Palaces of traditional rulers are true symbolical relics of the people culture and tradition.Some of the richly endowed artifacts oriented palace in Ekiti State are the Ewi of Ado's palace, Elekole of Ikole's palace, Oore of Otun's palace, Alawo of Awo Ekiti palace and a host of others.

Dressing
The dress for man in Ekiti is Bùbá (round neck shirt) and Sòkòtò (trousers) While women dress in Bùbá (blouse) and Ìró (wrapper)

Food
Typical Ekiti man can not do without Iyan in a day, with melon soup, crowned with bush meat.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Enugwu Ukwu In Anambra Where Pythons & Human Beings Live In Harmony / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) / Meet The Koma People Of Adamawa State Where Cloth Is A Prized Possession (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.