Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real (18114 Views)

Brymo Tells Nigerian Students, Street Hustle Is Better Than Your Varsity Degree / Meet First Class Graduate Of OAU And 7 Times ICAN Prize Winner – / Finally, Ciroma Chukwuma Adekunle Passed WAEC. The Change Is Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 19, 2016
Firstly, I salute all those who are writing ICAN, ACCA, what ever stage you are in, Kudos to you.

My journey began in September 2015, I just entered 200level and my then mentor, a lady, was in her skills stage in ICAN yet still in her final year and that propelled me to enroll for the ATSWA examination.
It wasn't easy to convince my parents, course adviser and head of department that I can manage the ICAN examination and my school work without losing my ground but with my mentor as an example, I was allowed to enroll for it.

ATS 1 was really easy a piece of cake. The exam was in September and it fell during my long Vacation which started August so I had the time to read for it for over two months. Moreover, my major is accounting, and that stage was basics.

ATS 2, the next diet, was supposed to come up in March. I was so confident in my performance in the last diet that I immediately purchased the study pack for the next without even seeing my results. And as God may have it, I was successful. Little did I know that ATS 2 was going to be my nightmare.
My semester exams usually comes up in March, and that's precisely when the ATS exam is written.
So I was faced with the challenge of combining the two. When the timetable for the semester came up, the ICAN ezams was clashing with two of my semester courses and that was my first challenge. I ran up and down trying to fix it and by God's grace, I was able to move the exam to Thursday and Friday.
What this meant for me was I was suppose to write ICAN exams Tuesday and Wednesday, then come to school and face another two courses on Thursday and Friday. Not to mention I had a course to write a Thursday before the week of the exams. cheesy
It was an examination galore.

After my paper on Thursday, I took my pillow, tooth brush, and my textbooks to my departmental library. I knew the guy who kept the place in check, and when I explained my predicaments to him, he hurriedly gave me the keys(breaking the rules without the consent of the HOD). I was determined to pass, and I didn't want any thing to stop me.
I read for up-to 15 hours a day, the remaining hours I spent it sleeping and looking for what to eat. And of course, taking my bath.
I remember vividly the Sunday night before the Tuesday of the exams, I forgot to close the windows of the library and I was woken up by termites and a lot of creepy crawlies.
I was frustrated, I had so much to cover owing to the fact that I hadn't the time to read because I had to focus on my semester exams. But lemme say, God saw me through that phase.

And still by his grace, I wrote the exams, it was though.
When the results came out and all others were recieivng text messages that they past, I didn't see any text. And that was it for me, I knew for certain I had failed and I just gave up. Or so I thought

So I cant it's easy, that's why I salute all writing it,
To cut this short, I finally checked the results online when it was uploaded and I PASSED.

Now, I proceed to write ATS 3, this time around I am combining it with my Internship at KPMG Professional Services, hopefully God would See Me through and I shall actualize my dream of being a chartered accountant at the time of Graduation.
Amen

I share this so all prospective students of ICAN especially the undergraduates can join me in this journey. I am not there yet, but I strongly believe it's possible to be chartered accountant at the point of graduation, so join me in this struggle, let's get there together

69 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 19, 2016
Wow that's nice.Determination and hard work really pays.Neva knew you can sit for Icann while as an undergraduate.This sure is an inspiration to those interested in combining the 2 and furthering their Education fast.So after Ican which professional course are you going for again?

2 Likes

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 19, 2016
sweetylicious:
Wow that's nice.Determination and hard work really pays.Neva knew you can sit for Icann while as an undergraduate.This sure is an inspiration to those interested in combining the 2 and furthering their Education fast.So after Ican which professional course are you going for again?
Although ICAN and ACCA gives the same qualification, I would go for ACCA as well. The reason is ACCA gives me the option to get an MBA, MSC and another BSc... Just by passing the exams.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by haibe(m): 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2016
Kudos to u bro its really not easy, i also thought of starting Acca during my undergraduate days but i was so scared it will affect my school performance and i still think i made a bad decision because these exams really helps one to be very serious, i believe i would have done better in the university if i started Acca earlier.

Anyway I started Acca last year during my service year and thank God as at monday that results of the june diet was released, i passed my last 2 F papers in the skill module. Planning to commence the professional module with Corporate Reporting (P2) and Advanced Financial Management (P4) and hopefully become an affiliate by September Next year.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by haibe(m): 12:50pm On Jul 20, 2016
optimusmind:

Although ICAN and ACCA gives the same qualification, I would go for ACCA as well. The reason is ACCA gives me the option to get an MBA, MSC and another BSc... Just by passing the exams.

Yes Acca gives these options but they are expensive oo.. lol.. especially the M.SC in University of London. Anyway i opted for the Oxford Brookes University Bsc in applied Accounting and hoping to submit my Research and Analysis Project either this November or Next Year May. My exams score has been good but i need an A in this project to make a first class, although i learnt its very hard to get an A, but i will still do my best.

Personally i dont think you need to do Acca again if you are a qualified ACA member because ICAN has really improved lately and to me i think they can now compete globally with the likes of ICAEW, ACCA, CPA, even though there is still room for improvement. Except you really need the Bsc and Msc degrees tho and may want to work in the UK or other countries where ACCA is highly regarded.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 20, 2016
haibe:

Yes Acca gives these options but they are expensive oo.. lol.. especially the M.SC in University of London. Anyway i opted for the Oxford Brookes University Bsc in applied Accounting and hoping to submit my Research and Analysis Project either this November or Next Year May. My exams score has been good but i need an A in this project to make a first class, although i learnt its very hard to get an A, but i will still do my best.

Personally i dont think you need to do Acca again if you are a qualified ACA member because ICAN has really improved lately and to me i think they can now compete globally with the likes of ICAEW, ACCA, CPA, even though there is still room for improvement. Except you really need the Bsc and Msc degrees tho and may want to work in the UK or other countries where ACCA is highly regarded.

I wish you success in your endeavors.. Congratulations as well.

The reason I'm writing ACCA is for the option of Masters, BSC, and MBA... Personaly, I feel it cannot be as expensive as going there for it. And i don't really want to spend more time in school, It would take about another 5 years if one was to put in an mba, MSc and second degree, but ACCA mitigates that.
Just out of curiosity, what is the fee for those degrees like.
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by haibe(m): 6:08pm On Jul 20, 2016
optimusmind:

I wish you success in your endeavors.. Congratulations as well.

The reason I'm writing ACCA is for the option of Masters, BSC, and MBA... Personaly, I feel it cannot be as expensive as going there for it. And i don't really want to spend more time in school, It would take about another 5 years if one was to put in an mba, MSc and second degree, but ACCA mitigates that.
Just out of curiosity, what is the fee for those degrees like.

For OBU project submission in P33, its 225GBP
And for P34, its 250GBP

For University of London Msc, its over 1000GBP, not too sure the exact!!
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 20, 2016
haibe:

For OBU project submission in P33, its 225GBP
And for P34, its 250GBP

For University of London Msc, its over 1000GBP, not too sure the exact!!
Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 21, 2016
FOREIGN EXCHANGE RISK MANAGEMENT(Part 1)

1. Risk
The is the possibility that something bad will happen.

2. Foreign exchange risk
This is the possibility that exchange rates will move in an unexepected manner. You can either gain or lose from unexpected movements.
For example, you paid for ACCA exam in Pounds and you expect N50k to be removed from your account. When the alert came in, you saw N40k. This means that you made a gain of N10k.

3. Derivative
A deriv-ative is an instrument that DERIVES its value from a specific price, interest rate, exchange rates or a basket of prices, interest rates and exchange rates.
For example, you bought an option that gives you the right to buy share in my company for N100/share. This option will be valuable to you if my share price rises to N150 because you can shappaly buy for N100 and sell for N150.
On the other hand, the option will have no value to you if my share price falls to N90. It will not make sense to exercise the option when you can buy for a lower price in the market.

read more at http://www.freeicanmaterials.com
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by haibe(m): 8:44am On Jul 21, 2016
Bro u didn't post about "Futures" which is the real thing i need to learn perfectly well. Thanks for this tho

la11aa:
FOREIGN EXCHANGE RISK MANAGEMENT(Part 1)

1. Risk
The is the possibility that something bad will happen.

2. Foreign exchange risk
This is the possibility that exchange rates will move in an unexepected manner. You can either gain or lose from unexpected movements.
For example, you paid for ACCA exam in Pounds and you expect N50k to be removed from your account. When the alert came in, you saw N40k. This means that you made a gain of N10k.

3. Derivative
A deriv-ative is an instrument that DERIVES its value from a specific price, interest rate, exchange rates or a basket of prices, interest rates and exchange rates.
For example, you bought an option that gives you the right to buy share in my company for N100/share. This option will be valuable to you if my share price rises to N150 because you can shappaly buy for N100 and sell for N150.
On the other hand, the option will have no value to you if my share price falls to N90. It will not make sense to exercise the option when you can buy for a lower price in the market.

read more at http://freeicanmaterials..com.ng/
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2016
haibe:
Bro u didn't post about "Futures" which is the real thing i need to learn perfectly well. Thanks for this tho

I will post about futures on Saturday.
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 22, 2016
Foreign Exchange Futures
1. Definition
The name gives you a clue about its meaning. It is a contract to buy or sell a foreign currency at a “future” date.
It has the same definition with a forward contract. The main difference is that futures are standardized contracts.
2. Standardised contract
The amount of the foreign currency you want to buy/sell and the future date are fixed. The future date can either be March, June, September or December.
Therefore, futures are not as flexible as forward contracts.
3. Market
The market for shares is the stock exchange. Likewise, the market for futures is the future exchange.
The futures exchange fixes the rate at which foreign currency will be bought or sold in the future. So, there is nothing the you can’t negotiate the rate.
4. Futures exchange’s roles
i. It regulates the futures market
ii. It eliminates counterparty risk.
5. Other party
A forward contract is agreed with a bank. On the other hand, you can just walk into any futures exchange to buy futures.

Continue reading at http://www.freeicanmaterials.com
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by profem1(m): 11:31pm On Jul 22, 2016
optimusmind:
Firstly, I salute all those who are writing ICAN, ACCA, what ever stage you are in, Kudos to you.

My journey began in September 2015, I just entered 200level and my then mentor, a lady, was in her skills stage in ICAN yet still in her final year and that propelled me to enroll for the ATSWA examination.
It wasn't easy to convince my parents, course adviser and head of department that I can manage the ICAN examination and my school work without losing my ground but with my mentor as an example, I was allowed to enroll for it.

ATS 1 was really easy a piece of cake. The exam was in September and it fell during my long Vacation which started August so I had the time to read for it for over two months. Moreover, my major is accounting, and that stage was basics.

ATS 2, the next diet, was supposed to come up in March. I was so confident in my performance in the last diet that I immediately purchased the study pack for the next without even seeing my results. And as God may have it, I was successful. Little did I know that ATS 2 was going to be my nightmare.
My semester exams usually comes up in March, and that's precisely when the ATS exam is written.
So I was faced with the challenge of combining the two. When the timetable for the semester came up, the ICAN ezams was clashing with two of my semester courses and that was my first challenge. I ran up and down trying to fix it and by God's grace, I was able to move the exam to Thursday and Friday.
What this meant for me was I was suppose to write ICAN exams Tuesday and Wednesday, then come to school and face another two courses on Thursday and Friday. Not to mention I had a course to write a Thursday before the week of the exams. cheesy
It was an examination galore.

After my paper on Thursday, I took my pillow, tooth brush, and my textbooks to my departmental library. I knew the guy who kept the place in check, and when I explained my predicaments to him, he hurriedly gave me the keys(breaking the rules without the consent of the HOD). I was determined to pass, and I didn't want any thing to stop me.
I read for up-to 15 hours a day, the remaining hours I spent it sleeping and looking for what to eat. And of course, taking my bath.
I remember vividly the Sunday night before the Tuesday of the exams, I forgot to close the windows of the library and I was woken up by termites and a lot of creepy crawlies.
I was frustrated, I had so much to cover owing to the fact that I hadn't the time to read because I had to focus on my semester exams. But lemme say, God saw me through that phase.

And still by his grace, I wrote the exams, it was though.
When the results came out and all others were recieivng text messages that they past, I didn't see any text. And that was it for me, I knew for certain I had failed and I just gave up. Or so I thought

So I cant it's easy, that's why I salute all writing it,
To cut this short, I finally checked the results online when it was uploaded and I PASSED.

Now, I proceed to write ATS 3, this time around I am combining it with my Internship at KPMG Professional Services, hopefully God would See Me through and I shall actualize my dream of being a chartered accountant at the time of Graduation.
Amen

I share this so all prospective students of ICAN especially the undergraduates can join me in this journey. I am not there yet, but I strongly believe it's possible to be chartered accountant at the point of graduation, so join me in this struggle, let's get there together
CC. Lalatisclala
Congrats.
I'm also in my final year(pure science) and also in ICAN professional stage. It's really not easy combining ICAN with school work.
We'll definitely share our testimony at the end.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 23, 2016
profem1:

Congrats.
I'm also in my final year(pure science) and also in ICAN professional stage. It's really not easy combining ICAN with school work.
We'll definitely share our testimony at the end.
Congratulations to you.
I hope to get there someday as well.
How were able to combine science and ICAN, is so unrelated?

1 Like

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by hulkhiharitoz(m): 1:19pm On Jul 23, 2016
.. Am 17, I want to be a chartered accountant.. Just got admitted to study accounting in a Nigerian university.
But with all what you guys are saying
Am getting a little scared o.

1 Like

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 23, 2016
hulkhiharitoz:
.. Am 17, I want to be a chartered accountant.. Just got admitted to study accounting in a Nigerian university.
But with all what you guys are saying
Am getting a little scared o.
Being scared is wisdom, make sure the fear propels you to work hard, and not detard you from your goal.

8 Likes

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by tree63: 2:29pm On Jul 23, 2016
Boss's Boss in the house.. I hail oo..please will like to be enlighten on some questions of mine..

1. Can I sit for ATS 1 this September diet.. Thinking of registering for ICAN this month.
2. Do you think I stand a great chance of acing the exam since am to start late.
3. How much study hours will be required of me to sit for the exam & have a desired results..

Would be rounding off my Nd program in Banking & finance & my present CGPA is 3.49[upper credit ]… ....will want to know how flexible I will be able to cope with the above questions..
.....Thanks..
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by hulkhiharitoz(m): 3:01pm On Jul 23, 2016
optimusmind:

Being scared is wisdom, make sure the fear propels you to work hard, and not detard you from your goal.
tanx ..
Planning to take ATS 1 at the end of my 100 level.
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by profem1(m): 7:56pm On Jul 23, 2016
optimusmind:

Congratulations to you.
I hope to get there someday as well.
How were able to combine science and ICAN, is so unrelated?
Actually Mathematical science and totally unrelated, but with persistence and God, it's been going well.
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 24, 2016
hulkhiharitoz:
tanx ..
Planning to take ATS 1 at the end of my 100 level.

Success
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by hulkhiharitoz(m): 9:22am On Jul 24, 2016
optimusmind:

Success
if u are on WhatsApp .. Can I have ur no?
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by haibe(m): 10:35am On Jul 24, 2016
profem1:

Actually Mathematical science and totally unrelated, but with persistence and God, it's been going well.

You should be having an edge infact, once you have grasp the essence and concepts of each paper because mathematicians tend to think well
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 24, 2016
hulkhiharitoz:
if u are on WhatsApp .. Can I have ur no?
080Six-four-seven-two-eight-nine-six-three
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
hello
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by profem1(m): 4:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
haibe:

You should be having an edge infact, once you have grasp the essence and concepts of each paper because mathematicians tend to think well
Yea. That's true; a mathematician can fit into anywhere.
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 24, 2016
Pioneer Company(Advanced Taxation)
1. Act
The relevant act is the Industrial Development (Income Tax Relief) Act of 1971. The act was actually effective from 1st April 1970, meaning that its effective date was backdated.
2. Pioneer Industry
This is any industry that the National Council of Ministers(now, Federal Executive Council) says is a pioneer industry. The list of pioneer industries can be downloadedhere. The supplementary list can be downloaded here. In my opinion, you should know at least 5.
These lists are included in Nigeria’s Official Gazette. The list is not a fixed list because industries have been added and struck out in the past, e.g the Telecommunications Industry has been struck out.
3. Existence
A pioneer company is like a ghost to FIRS. From FIRS’ point of view, it is not existing. This is why commencement rules apply after the pioneer period.
4. Pioneer Period
The minimum period is three years, while, the maximum period is 5 years.
The 3 years can be increased by 2 years or 1 year. If it is increased by one year, the company can apply for another 1 year extension because it will have only been a pioneer company for 4 years.

Read more- http://www.freeicanmaterials.com/

1 Like

Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 25, 2016
Lalasticlala

Pls FP
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by idee91: 10:46am On Jul 25, 2016
T
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by damiloladuke: 10:46am On Jul 25, 2016
its well,

see my signature
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Odunharry(m): 10:54am On Jul 25, 2016
Kudos to you Op..
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by johnshagb(m): 10:54am On Jul 25, 2016
My little story...

When i was in 200 level, I started writing ATS 1 (as a pure science student grin). I wrote the first stage stage and surprisingly I passed 3 papers except communication skills. This was because i gave lots of attention to the difficult papers. The next diet I wrote only comm skills and passed.

My performance gave me lots of 'ginger' and I immediately attacked ATS 2 which I cleared in a sitting. ATS 3 gave me a little trouble because things started to get advanced. But God so Good, I managed to finish same year as my final year and went for induction. Currently writing the professional level.

If you mix ICAN with school work without making proper planning, it's might result in an adverse effect on your studies.

All the best to y'all
Re: My Journey With ICAN Thus Far, The Hustle Is Real by Brai777(m): 10:55am On Jul 25, 2016
@ OP and other ICAN/ACCA students keep it up. It is very do-able, 1st Degree with ACA/ACCA gives miles ahead in the job market.

I ran the same shift during my under-graudate days 1997 - 2002 and today I am reaping bountifully.

One of my mentors once said, "if you don't know what to do with your life after Secondary School, go and write ICAN exams. You will be glad you did"

I took the advise and it's been tough, challenging and equally rewarding

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Irrelevant Punishments You Gave To Your Juniors Back In School / PTI Final Year Student Electrocuted While Installing Solar Panels / Oluwademilade Odumuboni Beats 782,852 Others To Win Toyota Global Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.