Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events (2263 Views)

Snake Delicacies Refresh Our Skin– Nigeria’s Snake Eaters / Nigerian Delicacies That Will Make You Bite Your Fingers- Photos / Catering Services For Corporate Events And Private Parties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by spikedcylinder: 8:23pm On Nov 22, 2005
Hello everyone!

My good friend has this business idea that has been brewing in her mind for eons now!  Well, we're female students and she's been thinking of a way to support her allowance (as is always the case!). She's a very good cook and can whip up a whole lot of stuff together (usually left overs) and come out with something unbelievably nice.  Fortunately, she loves making breakfast recipes too. . . .and I enjoy eating them! smiley

So i was thinking,would it be a good idea if she starts making rare breakfast delicacies which will also include several homemade bevarage drinks for corporate events and meetings?  Does that make sense?  How would she be able to juggle that with academia?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by timba(m): 1:06am On Dec 02, 2005
Oh splendid! I must say this is really a good idea and could sell like hotcake (if properly managed). A student community can be one of the best places to market this kind of product but you'll have to make sure the product is properly packaged and reasonably priced (students are very sensitive to pricing of products).

Your concern about how to combine the business with your academics is a good one and I would suggest you do some planning. If for instance, your work load is not much, then it would be rather easy to combine the two. If on the other hand, you find out that you are having a lot of work and having to do a lot of studying, then you might and probably should consider hiring and training people who can do the production and/or marketing of the product.
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by Seun(m): 3:13am On Dec 05, 2005
Hello spiked, you'll never know if your business will be successful until you try!

I wonder if you can modify your idea so you offer your culinary services to students on campus instead of corporate bodies outside the school. That way you can save the time and money that will have been spent on shuttling around.

Apart from that, there's only one thing I have to say to you: "go for it!"
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by timmy(m): 10:12am On Dec 05, 2005
@seun, students on campus hell no, it wont work with students never.. Students(NIgerian) are the most akward set of people, they dont adjust to changes easily most especially when they feel they are not getting enuff quantity not quality. I feel she's on the write course.. Only corporate guys can give her the kind of attention, cash and reputation she needs. Students would complain, curse and reject you when a competitor comes around.. some would even owe you and not even bother to pay (" at least we're friends now, spikey, spikey, just bone that one now, han han what are friends for hiss"wink thats the kind of stuffs you hear.
@spikedcylinder, really admire your dream, im presently working (temp) at UBA and i see the kind a caterine services freelance cooks bring it would work.. i could help out with some links if you mind wink cheesy
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by spikedcylinder: 9:03pm On Dec 05, 2005
Thanks for posting everyone.We were beginning to give up because everyone kept saying it would never work.
I don't think this kind of thing would work for students because what she has in mind isnt the simple breakfast and bevarage students would appreciate and be willing to pay for.

By the time one buys all the ingredients to satisfaction and its actually worth paying for it would be on the pricey side for students.Students in my school are the sort that would complain when they are asked to pay 50bucks to watch style plus or whatever current reigning artistes are brought.Are these the sort of people you serve crepes and banana soy-moo-thye to?I don't think so.That was why she narrowed it against corporate bodies because they would appreciate such things.

Thanks again for replying.i would love more suggestions too!
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by dignity(m): 7:20pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hi spikedcylinder,
I love cooking and cook a lot too?
The first question that struck me was "How on earth will this woman combine this business with her school work?You know as well as I do that cooking is very very tasking.

Because you are serving a breakfast meal,you will need to wake up very early every day to prepare the meals.God help you when it's exam time !

If you want to get a 2nd Class Upper in school,its not the perfect business for a student,even if there's no denying that it is a lofty idea.

You have two options:

1).Do the business while the school is not in session.Use that time to train others who will manage the business for you when school resumes.Your role will then be basically supervisory, Or,

2).Nurture and grow the idea now,and execute it as soon as you leave school.

All the Best.
________
Dignity
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by kogi2: 8:50pm On Jul 07, 2006
hi spikey i really think you have a good idea but like said think about it very well.infact write a biz plan and do a SWOT analysis so you can have an idea of what you are in for.All the best. wink wink
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by Seun(m): 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2006
Spikedcylinder, did you abandon this project?
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by spikedcylinder: 9:03pm On Jul 22, 2006
Yes it was abandoned because she realised it was going to be taking a lot of her time and it was only feasible during week days and thats definately not realistic.
Re: Student's Business Idea: Making Breakfast Delicacies For Corporate Events by mekoyo(m): 9:54am On Nov 13, 2007
You ahve a great idea. Just give it a try, go for it just as seun has said. Start with your school first at least that will save you more time to study hard.

Dont let that dream die. You've got something in you so keep it going.

One wish keeps you trying

(1) (Reply)

What Is Chicken Called In Your Native Language? / 3 Ways To Naturally Cleanse & Boost The Immune System / What Food Should Kids Have In Their Lunch Pack?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.