Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,199 members, 7,780,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:49 PM

FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know (42790 Views)

Village Generates Electricity From Cow Faeces / Nigerian Man Generates Electricity From Potatoes(photos+video) / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Afritop(m): 7:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
constant power supply will still not be guaranteed if not managed properly
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by thekingisback: 7:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
Why uranium? Why not generate electricity through windmills cos we have abundant of it. I even suggest generating electricity from industrial waste. The temptation to acquire nuclear weapons might creep in. Even the use of fossil fuel too might not be a bad idea.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by babajeje123(m): 7:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
Anything that threatens human lives & existence is not worth investing in. Fg should take precautions o.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by adegeye38(m): 7:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
Solar and wind is much better and safer especially wind turbines, most of Germany's electricity are from renewable energy mostly wind turbines, they generated much electricity that it got to a time dis year the demand was less than the supply to the extent that germany had to pay its citizens to consume electricity, i dont knw y d government has shown no interest in investing in renewable energy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Ochendo3: 7:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
OK
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Lordxeer(m): 7:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
its a deadly weapon when placed on the wrong hand...
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by gurunlocker: 7:25pm On Jul 20, 2016
Which electricity are they generating from Uranium? Na by mouth or promise?

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by whitebeard(m): 7:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
lol...we can successfully term Nigeria a waste land if that is built in Nigeria...pls if at all they want to build they should carry it to the north and south the weather there is very favorable for reactors...!!!

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by amanze15(m): 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
aint our southern competition doing this already angry angry
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by tempest01(m): 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
d
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by wristbangle: 7:36pm On Jul 20, 2016
Insightful post OP cool
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Idrismusty97(m): 7:36pm On Jul 20, 2016
Majority of the people commenting here really have shallow knowledge on the issue of Uranium and Nuclear power. Yes they should bring it to the North, Like who would site such a project in the South anyway.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by luluosas(m): 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2016
Okay. Hope the pros and cons of this uranium energy has been considered enough by the government before sticking their neck on this development.

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Fadelex(m): 7:47pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nuclear energy is the best and cheapest source of energy, the problem is the risk associated with it. also, if placed in wrong hands, it can be used for nuclear weapon. but i dont think Nigeria is ready yet for it due to the following reasons,
1. Its very expensive to establish
2. where do we situate the plants due to risks associated with it
3. how do we link the generated energy to the
existing hydro plants
4. with our political and security instabilities, how do we ensure a group will not rise tomorrow and threaten the whole nation to blow up the plants, the effects of nuclear weapon is catastrophic, hiroshima and nagasaki havnt recovered from 1945 bombings, 70years after
5. we dont have enough scientists to maintain it, as it was evident in power sector, you cant depend on foreigners to maintain it because they benefits from its malfunctioning.

If government can successfully handle the problems stated, then we are good to go

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by piagetskinner(m): 7:51pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nigeria that doesn't follow standard procedures.... undecided undecided u wan kill everybody b that

there are other safer ways of generating energy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by BoboFashion(m): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
Government of talkatives, no action.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by LOVEGINO(m): 8:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrphysics:
Today, we read https://www.nairaland.com/3236793/fg-set-generate-electricity-uranium about the move by the federal government to generate electricity from the element Uranium, i read how many people opposed it while some agreed to it, let us briefly highlight some things about the heavy element Uranium.

a., Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy .Uranium occurs in most rocks in concentrations of 2 to 4 parts per million and is as common in the Earth's crust as tin, tungsten and molybdenum. Uranium occurs in seawater, and can be recovered from the oceans.

b.
Uranium was discovered in 1789 by Martin Klaproth, a German chemist, in the mineral called pitchblende. It was named after the planet Uranus, which had been discovered eight years earlier.
Uranium was apparently formed in supernovas about 6.6 billion years ago. While it is not common in the solar system, today its slow radioactive decay provides the main source of heat inside the Earth, causing convection and continental drift.

c.

The high density of uranium means that it also finds uses in the keels of yachts and as counterweights for aircraft control surfaces, as well as for radiation shielding.
Uranium has a melting point of 1132°C. The chemical symbol for uranium is U.

Let's keep going

Dedicated to my grandmother who left me to the world beyond today 20/7/2016 @ exactly 10:00 a.m. she was 72yrs, Till her death Oshiahu Rose Ngwuta was a peaceful woman. We will miss you.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/introduction/what-is-uranium-how-does-it-work.aspx
OP you sure say no b u sell ur granny soul to nailarand (frontpage). RIP Mama
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by MrRichy(m): 8:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
pls we don't want nuclear power
we can't handle it.
Ordinary PHCN we couldn't manage undecided

3 Likes

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by olucomf: 8:09pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nice one keep it up...
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by olucomf: 8:12pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrphysics:
Today, we read https://www.nairaland.com/3236793/fg-set-generate-electricity-uranium about the move by the federal government to generate electricity from the element Uranium, i read how many people opposed it while some agreed to it, let us briefly highlight some things about the heavy element Uranium.

a., Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy .Uranium occurs in most rocks in concentrations of 2 to 4 parts per million and is as common in the Earth's crust as tin, tungsten and molybdenum. Uranium occurs in seawater, and can be recovered from the oceans.

b.
Uranium was discovered in 1789 by Martin Klaproth, a German chemist, in the mineral called pitchblende. It was named after the planet Uranus, which had been discovered eight years earlier.
Uranium was apparently formed in supernovas about 6.6 billion years ago. While it is not common in the solar system, today its slow radioactive decay provides the main source of heat inside the Earth, causing convection and continental drift.

c.

The high density of uranium means that it also finds uses in the keels of yachts and as counterweights for aircraft control surfaces, as well as for radiation shielding.
Uranium has a melting point of 1132°C. The chemical symbol for uranium is U.

Let's keep going

Dedicated to my grandmother who left me to the world beyond today 20/7/2016 @ exactly 10:00 a.m. she was 72yrs, Till her death Oshiahu Rose Ngwuta was a peaceful woman. We will miss you.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/introduction/what-is-uranium-how-does-it-work.aspx

Nice one bro..keep it up, good research.....
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 20, 2016
our government officials are fools. some countries that are far more careful than us are shutting down their nuclear plants and are looking for dumping grounds. Africa is a refuse bin.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Emyogalanya: 8:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
Person wey no fit do inter house wrestling na world kckboxing e want go fight
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Kakamorufu(m): 8:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
this is edutaining!!
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by nabiz(m): 8:34pm On Jul 20, 2016
I hope it is no going to be located in my state? I think e better mek i de use my i pass my friend generator

Just my opinion as a layman
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by dhsfbi(m): 8:35pm On Jul 20, 2016
Anybody that studied chemistry related courses will never be in support of a nuclear power plant in Nigeria. Nuclear radiation is violent and hardly has cure. Nigeria lacks everything needed to manage nuclear elements or generate power from it. Not only government are careless in this country, with the likes of BH and ND avengers on the loose, NPP can be a significant target for terrorism.

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrphysics:

Thinking so too. But even if we generate just 1000MW of electricity from Nuclear, it will help in developing the subject and increase research also.

Governments are not ready to do anything on that solar and wind energy, so if they have chosen Nuclear, it just have to favour research.
Half of my Engineering Physics degree was spent studying Nuclear Engineering and materials science. I now currently work in the electrical engineering industry. Most of the countries listed above are already trying to get rid of their nuclear generating station for sustainable means of generating electricity. Money that would be spent on research purposes for nuclear source of power should instead be spent on making sustainable energy more efficient.

The cooperation i currently work for has a mix of hydro, wind, heat recovery from biomass, solar and coal. Coal being the source with the largest input, but most of the research at my work place is focused on making coal cleaner as it's still the cheapest source of generating power.

I heard Enugu has a large coal deposit. Nigeria should make use of that, and focus some research on making coal cleaner. There are lots of Nigerian born stationary/steam engineers in North america that would relocate to Nigeria if the country embraces coal.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2016
Who is fooling who? govt or u urslf? Stop troubling urslf, this govt is visionless
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by babamoha(m): 8:46pm On Jul 20, 2016
Can somebody please tell me what we can get right in our country we that can handle oil spillage effectively we are talking about uranium another point is that have utilized the abundant natural gas is it not flaring that we are doing to majority of it uranium ko abasa ni.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by belovedaja(m): 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
Me am afraid of this uranium. The disadvantages too much I don't think Nigeria can handle it for. A beg make we manage the one we get. I am not in support for now
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Slimshady11: 8:57pm On Jul 20, 2016
D risk involved is just too much,it was just by meer luck dat d govt contained d ebola outbreak talk more of a nuclear incident,also knowing our govt as i do d guarantee dat d nuclear reactor will be maintained is lyk 5%.And did mention dat all d dreaded boko boys have to do now is to compromise one of d nuclear factories,they should know dat they are playing wit fire

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Dreadnoughtus, Perhaps The Biggest Creature To Ever Walk The Planet. / Umar Maizaki Gets Scholarship In Gombe For Constructing NNPC Fuel Tanker Model / Rare Shiny Clouds Spotted On Mars (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.