Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,226 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:07 AM

FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know (42789 Views)

Village Generates Electricity From Cow Faeces / Nigerian Man Generates Electricity From Potatoes(photos+video) / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by oyetpel(m): 9:00pm On Jul 20, 2016
Hmmmm, nuclear energy no be beans. Do you think these Nigerian politicians can embark on this?? The oyibos will milk us dry. I think its just talk sha.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by nonjebose(m): 9:11pm On Jul 20, 2016
In the event of any natural disaster, such as flooding, nuclear reactors can become huge danger due to leakages. Nuclear waste is also a big challenge. I still remember the case of the italian company that came to koko to dump nuclear waste. Thank God it was detected on time before the sealed drums started leaking. Even at that, a clean up was carried out
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by flokii: 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2016
As all d military facilities don dey North.. Na SE get this zoning, no doubt cheesy

I trust abokis.. Na from there dem go dey generate their power grin

On a more serious note, I think we should look into other means not Nuclear, too much energy involved plus great danger if not managed properly.. We've seen how poor we are in handling ordinary gas plants talkless Nuclear.

The waste from those plants lasts for like a lifetime (concept of half-life in radioactivity). I don't support it. Nigeria isn't ready for such yet

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by carammel(f): 9:18pm On Jul 20, 2016
God bless Nigeria.

Whoever brought this idea should not allow it materialize please,we don't want to die with our survivors having stunted growth with chinko faces.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by reducto: 9:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nuclear energy in a volatile country like Nigeria?
Oh no you don't mean it.

Heard of Chernobyl?
Or Fukushima?
Or Nagasaki?
Or Hiroshima?
Don't worry una go hear of KADUNAma, LAGOSima and SAMBISAki.

I dey come ooo!
Make I go for black market go buy gas and oyel for my private jet gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nuclear in this era of Bokoharam, hmmm. This plant should be cited in a very safe place. If possible cited in the 3 major regions.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by kmega08: 9:38pm On Jul 20, 2016
Electricity from Nuclear Energy is quite cheap and clean, but the risks involved are pretty much. Add the peculiar nature of Nigeria, it is an absolute no go area for me.
I still think our best shot in solving our power issues is in our huge coal reserves. Gas has not done it for us. Militancy and pipe line vandalism isn't going away any time soon.
I know some people will say coal is not clean and all the other global warming issues.
That should not deter us at all. We should not allow that to hinder us from growing our economy. US, China and other nations that emit the most green house gases are not doing as much as they are preaching to reduce the gas emissions. When we are developed, we can join the clamour to reduce emission of green house gases and solve the climate change issues.
Coal remains the easiest and fastest way for us to solve our energy challenge.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by austinfan4love(m): 9:44pm On Jul 20, 2016
Thnks Mr physics for the insight,,,for a long time now i've Alyz wished our country never gets to the point where we need to consider nuclear energy as a source of power generation,,considering the disadvantage and the harm which can be caused by uranium,,there was a certain time when this issue was discussed and it was kicked against by people who were knowledgeable about the disadvantages,,i think we should give our voices and so no to nuclear power generation,,as it's disadvantages out weighs it's advantages,,

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Suntzung: 9:48pm On Jul 20, 2016
franciskaine:
Nuclear in this era of Bokoharam, hmmm. This plant should be sighted in the core North.
Hi dude modern nuclear reactors are highly safe and can hardly be saboutaged by any terror group, France do desgn sealed reabtors that can survive heavy earthquake talkales of wind or floording the cowerds are talking about.
God Bless Nigeria
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Preshy3509(m): 9:53pm On Jul 20, 2016
in a country that has so many security challanges, ranging from millitancy to terrorism, shouldnt think of venturing into an hazardous source of generatin electricity as this. we all knw how porous and naive our security men are. Safeguardin/disposin it proper will be a major problem. lets think of other means.

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2016
Suntzung:
Hi dude modern nuclear reactor are highly safe and can hardly be saboutaged by any terror group, France do desgn sealed reabtors that can survive heavy earthquake talkales of wind or floording the cowerds are talking about.
God Bless Nigeria
one strong explosive missile will crack that wall. Forget dat gab.

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by austinfan4love(m): 9:58pm On Jul 20, 2016
H
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by NigerianScholar: 9:59pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nigeria doesn't take safety and maintenance serious. An error can be fatal to the settlement(s) around it
mrphysics:
Today, we read https://www.nairaland.com/3236793/fg-set-generate-electricity-uranium about the move by the federal government to generate electricity from the element Uranium, i read how many people opposed it while some agreed to it, let us briefly highlight some things about the heavy element Uranium.

a., Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy .Uranium occurs in most rocks in concentrations of 2 to 4 parts per million and is as common in the Earth's crust as tin, tungsten and molybdenum. Uranium occurs in seawater, and can be recovered from the oceans.

b.
Uranium was discovered in 1789 by Martin Klaproth, a German chemist, in the mineral called pitchblende. It was named after the planet Uranus, which had been discovered eight years earlier.
Uranium was apparently formed in supernovas about 6.6 billion years ago. While it is not common in the solar system, today its slow radioactive decay provides the main source of heat inside the Earth, causing convection and continental drift.

c.

The high density of uranium means that it also finds uses in the keels of yachts and as counterweights for aircraft control surfaces, as well as for radiation shielding.
Uranium has a melting point of 1132°C. The chemical symbol for uranium is U.

Let's keep going

Dedicated to my grandmother who left me to the world beyond today 20/7/2016 @ exactly 10:00 a.m. she was 72yrs, Till her death Oshiahu Rose Ngwuta was a peaceful woman. We will miss you.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/introduction/what-is-uranium-how-does-it-work.aspx

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Suntzung: 10:09pm On Jul 20, 2016
franciskai ne:
one strong explosive missile will crack that wall. Forget dat gab.
Look the paramiter of any reactor site is so large in such a way only aircrapts can attack it from above, and even then proper measures are taken to counter that by avoiding direct flight of aircrapt over the zone and using anti aircrapt defences.
Nigeria Needs Nuclear Jare
Godbless Nigeria
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Suntzung: 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2016
NigerianScholar:
Nigeria doesn't take safety and maintenance serious. An error can be fatal to the settlement(s) around it
The country that suplied and install the reactor would also be responsible 4 the operations management and maintenance of the facility 4 several years b4 handing over to well trained local staffs.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Romm(m): 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2016
okk
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Ximonak: 10:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrphysics:

Thinking so too. But even if we generate just 1000MW of electricity from Nuclear, it will help in developing the subject and increase research also.

Governments are not ready to do anything on that solar and wind energy, so if they have chosen Nuclear, it just have to favour research.

Can you see only South Africa (black nation) is into it.

We have low maintenance culture
Just roads, apartments, streetlights w can't maintain.
Even the so called private firm fail in it.
GSM company will not fix their mast for days -weeks when a fault arises.

Remember We have not even clean the oil spillage in Niger Delta

When we get to that level we can use even "hydrogen energy," but for now.... noooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by mrphysics(m): 10:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
princey83:

Half of my Engineering Physics degree was spent studying Nuclear Engineering and materials science. I now currently work in the electrical engineering industry. Most of the countries listed above are already trying to get rid of their nuclear generating station for sustainable means of generating electricity. Money that would be spent on research purposes for nuclear source of power should instead be spent on making sustainable energy more efficient.

The cooperation i currently work for has a mix of hydro, wind, heat recovery from biomass, solar and coal. Coal being the source with the largest input, but most of the research at my work place is focused on making coal cleaner as it's still the cheapest source of generating power.

I heard Enugu has a large coal deposit. Nigeria should make use of that, and focus some research on making coal cleaner. There are lots of Nigerian born stationary/steam engineers in North america that would relocate to Nigeria if the country embraces coal.

Good to know. How far did you go into material science and Nuclear? Are you a physicist? or engineer?

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by MicroBox: 10:58pm On Jul 20, 2016
Fadelex:
Nuclear energy is the best and cheapest source of energy, the problem is the risk associated with it. also, if placed in wrong hands, it can be used for nuclear weapon. but i dont think Nigeria is ready yet for it due to the following reasons,
1. Its very expensive to establish
2. where do we situate the plants due to risks associated with it
3. how do we link the generated energy to the
existing hydro plants
4. with our political and security instabilities, how do we ensure a group will not rise tomorrow and threaten the whole nation to blow up the plants, the effects of nuclear weapon is catastrophic, hiroshima and nagasaki havnt recovered from 1945 bombings, 70years after
5. we dont have enough scientists to maintain it, as it was evident in power sector, you cant depend on foreigners to maintain it because they benefits from its malfunctioning.

If government can successfully handle the problems stated, then we are good to go

still parts of the disadvantage...
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by MicroBox: 11:39pm On Jul 20, 2016
@OP Good research..
-Nuclear plant needs water to cool off so those in the riverine areas should start thinking....
-Their would be a radioactive leak around the plant so the hosting state should start thinking......
-Disposing radioactive waste is now a global challenge which in recent times was done illegally by some so called developed nations.....
-The difference between nuclear energy and nuclear bomb is just how the fission is tempered......
-
-
-
The world is now a global village and international communities always monitor activities of any nuclear plant around the world so safety is always guarantee...
-To generate power with alternative energy sources is more expensive hence if you want to power Lagos with solar energy, you will need up to half of Lagos by land to install your panels....
-I personally still support Nuclear energy to generate electricity than any other energy sources.....
-Sensitive parts of any nuclear plant are always handle by professionals.....
-There would be training and retraining of personnel....
-Industries and investors will flood Nigeria....
-Nigeria will be rich...
-Nigeria will be great again....
-If it's not working, there are companies that specializes in shutting down, decommissioning and destroying nuclear plants around the world....
-It's better we give it a trial...

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Bobbybube(m): 11:42pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrphysics:

Thinking so too. But even if we generate just 1000MW of electricity from Nuclear, it will help in developing the subject and increase research also.

Governments are not ready to do anything on that solar and wind energy, so if they have chosen Nuclear, it just have to favour research.
My brother, we have 3 refineries yet none of them is remotely efficient.
We have the longest river in west Africa, plenty other rivers and lots of natural gas yet we can't produce 5000 mw of electricity.
The truth is that most things in Nigeria are not working. Trying to start nuclear energy generation will be a great disaster. Charity begins at home.. let us efficiently manage other forms of power available before we start looking nuclear.
Note that the countries involved in nuclear energy are very few and its major users are super nations. The only African nation there is south Africa and they are not a regular African country. They even produce about 40,000 mw. Do you think that the other African countries are stupid?
Any call for Nuclear power at this time is suicidal!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 20, 2016
shiit show country, nuclear power plant in nigeria? laughing in tongues
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by london4luv: 12:34am On Jul 21, 2016
cry another lies 4rn buhari and their propagandish government, I can bet my scrotum 4 this, they won't do a thing... Na only talk talk., stupid set of fulanis
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by flyingdutchman(m): 3:16am On Jul 21, 2016
kings09:
Do we need to know? Jst provide the electricity n while we enjoy it, ensure d nuclear plants r all located in d north manned by northern engineers. Pls don't come n tel us d north's climate is too hot for d plant to be sited there. An advanced country like Japan has not recovered from its Fukushima incident, na Nigeria wey neva achieve food security wan de use nuclear.
And in case a war breaks out, guess who will have the firepower and bombs

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by SaintUlot: 3:40am On Jul 21, 2016
Check my signature and start making money working from home just like me.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by codemaniacs: 5:33am On Jul 21, 2016
princey83:

Half of my Engineering Physics degree was spent studying Nuclear Engineering and materials science. I now currently work in the electrical engineering industry. Most of the countries listed above are already trying to get rid of their nuclear generating station for sustainable means of generating electricity. Money that would be spent on research purposes for nuclear source of power should instead be spent on making sustainable energy more efficient.

The cooperation i currently work for has a mix of hydro, wind, heat recovery from biomass, solar and coal. Coal being the source with the largest input, but most of the research at my work place is focused on making coal cleaner as it's still the cheapest source of generating power.

I heard Enugu has a large coal deposit. Nigeria should make use of that, and focus some research on making coal cleaner. There are lots of Nigerian born stationary/steam engineers in North america that would relocate to Nigeria if the country embraces coal.

kmega08:
Electricity from Nuclear Energy is quite cheap and clean, but the risks involved are pretty much. Add the peculiar nature of Nigeria, it is an absolute no go area for me.
I still think our best shot in solving our power issues is in our huge coal reserves. Gas has not done it for us. Militancy and pipe line vandalism isn't going away any time soon.
I know some people will say coal is not clean and all the other global warming issues.
That should not deter us at all. We should not allow that to hinder us from growing our economy. US, China and other nations that emit the most green house gases are not doing as much as they are preaching to reduce the gas emissions. When we are developed, we can join the clamour to reduce emission of green house gases and solve the climate change issues.
Coal remains the easiest and fastest way for us to solve our energy challenge.

You guys should use your brains(no insult intended).... coal has been there for centuries and it has been ignored.. Nigeria is mostly controlled and governed by people that hate southerners and don't want to see them succeed..

If the coal was in the north, do you think it would be ignored.... the igbos or other southerners are the only ones that can come together and build the coal sector and power Nigeria.

Nigeria would never invest in Coal as long as it is controlled mostly by those people, Its the same reason why the Oil refineries are not working... but the illiterates in the south keep calling "FG, FG, FG" for help like they think the people that hate them want to help them.

the SW is seriously compromising itself... that's why dangote is building a refinery there.. a refinery is one of the quickest ways to destroy the environment and economy of a place.... so its a "win win" fot the people that hate southerners... too bad the SW politics is mostly controlled by a religious bigot.

Nigerians need to accept the truth... Tribalism is a serious problem...
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by kings09(m): 6:23am On Jul 21, 2016
U get point oo but make dem hold d plants 4 now.
flyingdutchman:

And in case a war breaks out, guess who will have the firepower and bombs
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Cargoed: 9:25am On Jul 21, 2016
why can't mr physics tell us how to shut down a Nuclear POwer plant. Instead of claiming I too know! Where are you going to get the cooling water and where will you discharge it.

The west especially Russia/France are fast running out of where to dump their barbaric technology.

Pls don't say presidio can't do this ohh remember he is old school and that maybe the reason they put him there cos I have heard too much about nuclear recently.

Talking about govt responsibility they have Transmission network to manage there is so much work there. Why not leave Generation to business men.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by gonkin(m): 9:31am On Jul 21, 2016
una go hear later say N10 billion naira worth of uranium is missing, abi all these militants and boko don see new strategy to create nuclear outbreak
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by RobinHez(m): 9:43am On Jul 21, 2016
Teempakguy:
you spelled my moniker wrong.
And u received 2 likes for this?? Sometimes I wonder.... lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by NigerianScholar: 9:50am On Jul 21, 2016
Suntzung:
The country that suplied and install the reactor would also be responsible 4 the operations management and maintenance of the facility 4 several years b4 handing over to well trained local staffs.
That is eye service
After some time. They will stop funding it properly and something will eventually happen. The local staff will introduce corruption into d whole thing. Sad truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Dreadnoughtus, Perhaps The Biggest Creature To Ever Walk The Planet. / Umar Maizaki Gets Scholarship In Gombe For Constructing NNPC Fuel Tanker Model / Rare Shiny Clouds Spotted On Mars (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.