Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) (40853 Views)

Mercedes-Benz Unveils The All-New 2019 G550 G-Wagon / Toyota Unveils Its Self-driving E-palette Delivery Pod / Honda Unveils Its Self-Balancing Motorbike That Prevent Riders From Falling Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by AjayiWrites2: 5:25pm On Jul 20, 2016
Mercedes-Benz has revealed its design for an autonomous bus, which recently made its first self-driven journey along a 20-kilometre-long route in the Netherlands

Developed based on technology in the company's autonomous truck, the Future Bus is able to drive itself along suitable routes, communicate with traffic lights to cross junctions, and automatically stop at stations.

The Future Bus recently made a 20 kilometre trip from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport to the nearby town Haarlem, which the company claims makes it the first automated city bus tested in a real-life traffic situation.

"[Future Bus] makes public transport safer, more efficient and more productive," said Wolfgang Bernhard, board member of Mercedes-Benz's parent company Daimler AG.
"More people can travel from A to B quickly, punctually and in comfort, to the benefit of all: bus operators, bus drivers and passengers."

The Future Bus is driven by CityPilot technology – a self-driving system based on Highway Pilot, from the company's autonomous Actros truck.

Using cameras, radar and GPS systems, the bus is able to recognise and communicate with traffic lights, allowing it to drive through the junctions they control.

The bus – developed by the company's Daimler Trucks department – also has an auto-brake system that can recognise obstacles, like pedestrians crossing the road, to avoid collisions.

It is able to automatically halt at bus stops, where it will open and close its doors for passengers to get on and off.

The driving status of the bus is indicated through coloured strips of light on its exterior – white for manual and blue for automated.
Doors are similarly illuminated to speed up passenger boarding and embarking, with the exit marked in red and the entrance in green.

Inside, the bus is divided into three zones – a service zone at the front, an express zone in the middle for passengers travelling short distances, and a lounge zone at the back for long-distance travellers.

Many companies are proposing ideas for autonomous vehicles and supporting infrastructure as the technology edges closer to ubiquity.

Source:

http://www.dezeen.com/2016/07/19/mercedes-benz-self-driving-future-bus-autonomous-vehicle/

Watch video here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufpIq35KEwY

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by AjayiWrites2: 5:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
I see Nigeria reaching this peak soon... Nice, nice innovation...

See more pictures here..

http://www.ajayiwrites.com/2016/07/mercedes-benz-unveils-its-self-driving.html

9 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
Can't wait to see this.
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by estyvino(m): 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
With Naija pot holes! Na only the bus will be alarming! I need directions, please help!

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by REMMEI(m): 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2016
The future is gonna be interesting for real... just look at the inside..the interiors and all.. but I guess it's both manual and automatic self drive.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by AjayiWrites2: 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2016
Lalasticlala, this piece is FP worthy..

FP Pls..

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by AjayiWrites2: 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
REMMEI:
The future is gonna be interesting for real... just look at the inside..the interiors and all.. but I guess it's both manual and automatic self drive.

Its an autonomous bus (Automatic), the driver is just there just in case things want to go out of hand. The bus works 100% on its own

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by carammel(f): 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2016
We don't need this in Nigeria.

What if it drives itself into the lagoon due to one little mistakei will pass.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by Sunofgod(m): 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2016

17 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by pointstores(m): 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
product of vision
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by Kelvic4real(m): 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
Hmm. Soon computer wil replace human labour and this will cause high level of unemployment and social vices

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by etebefia: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
The world is moving fast, Nigeria is on a slow pace, we are still protesting for tinubu and malaye to apologize to each other.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by jerryunit48: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
This bus is built in the city I stay I saw them test driving some really

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by dfrost: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
Won't be surprised if some Nigerians have ordered this already.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by osaslord500(m): 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
AjayiWrites2:
I see Nigeria reaching this peak soon... Nice, nice innovation...

lalasticlala

Which of the Nigeria?

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by satelliteDISH(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2016
Abeg make Una no vex, I wan complain so that Una go be my witness. Mtn wan give me high blood pressure ooh.

Since yesterday wey i subscribe mtn 1.5gig for 1k, i no fit use am watch YouTube again because the loading speed slow pass snail.
Nah for YouTube I dey watch football highlights before I go go place my bet for bet9ja and now I no fit watch anything.

See as 1.5gig take face dey look me dey tell me say I no go play my sure banker game tomorrow.

Na wetin be this nah? Is this not Oppression on top my money?

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by emeijeh(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2016
This one go get accident taya for Naija.
Conmunicate with traffic light kè?
Maybe in the 27th century.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by Dottore: 9:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
Very beautiful design. This will make the luxurious buses on our roads look like artefacts
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by Ochendo3: 9:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
Wtf dis car is 1derful
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by kenzysmith: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2016
Who meccedes don help abeg were I feel see ashawo carry for udu road

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by obainosis4real: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2016
God is wonderful, He gives wonderful gifts.... I like this

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by weblord1900: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2016
self driving is impossible in Nigeria for now.

think of the potholes in Nigeria airport talkmore of the motor roads

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by lonelydora: 9:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
We are not yet ripe for this bus.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by daywatcher: 9:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
We are miles ahead of Mercedes in Naija, they should only make mouth when the invent a car that does not need fuel or electricity to work...like one of our daddy G.Os

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by iamkingzlee(m): 9:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
Chineke!! shocked If this ever ever ever gets to naija, abeg, na beg i dey, make e no reach lagos. Danfo no dey hear word! angry

1 Like

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by MrCow(m): 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
hmm, will it sense the pot holes, will it spot in coming vehicles w/o brakes.
well, if it can't, It should stay for obodo oyinbo

ehn
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by negz1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
jerryunit48:
This bus is built in the city I stay I saw them test driving some really
in oshodi?

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by ibe9ja: 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
Just one little malfunction na under third mainland bridge be your next bus stop.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by blazeahams(m): 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
Chai. This is awesome
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by omoadeleye(m): 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
When is this coming to Nigeria,, to save person from federal mass bus
Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by jnrbayano(m): 9:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
Most Nigerians and punctuality are like parallel lines.

The thick corrupt ambience here will make the Brain box to relearn the Nigerian way.

How can it even communicate with most traffic lights ill-maintained hence faulty?

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes-Benz Unveils Its Self-Driving Future Bus (Photos And Video) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
Wouldn't advise any Nigerian government, particularly Lagos the go for this now coz any little infraction or crisis, the hoodlums would start vandalising it.

But Mercedes and Class be like

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Small Things Nigeria Police Will Use To Catch You Big Time / Innoson Motors Delivers 77 New Vehicles To FRSC - Exclusive Images / The DS 7 SUV Emmanuel Macron, The French President Used For His Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.