Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue (11743 Views)

#BankWars. Sterling Bank Apologises For Shading Other Banks. / AMCON Hands Over Keystone Bank To New Investors / Finally, AMCON Sells Keystone Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Adesiji77: 9:16pm On Jul 20, 2016
Sterling Bank Plc has ended talks to buy rival Keystone Bank Limited after finding it an unsuitable fit and is now focused on raising funds as it considers other acquisitions, its chief finance officer, Abubakar Suleiman, said on Tuesday.

“We reviewed Keystone Bank and concluded the strategic fit was not strong enough. We will continue to evaluate all the options. As new candidates come into the market, we will also review them,” Suleiman, told Reuters by phone.

Sterling Bank said in February it was aiming to buy one or two mid-sized lenders as sharp falls in the value of the naira and increased regulatory pressure forced banks to recapitalise. Keystone Bank is the last of Nigeria’s nationalised lenders, which state-backed “bad bank” AMCON is seeking to sell.

Suleiman said Sterling’s strategic plan was still to acquire a rival in Nigeria but that any move was likely to come after studying the impact of last month’s 30 per cent fall in the value of the naira.
The central bank ditched its 16-month old peg of N197 to the dollar in June to allow the currency to trade freely, in an effort to resolve a chronic dollar shortage that has stifled economic growth.

However, dollar shortages remain as Nigeria suffers from a plunge in oil prices which has battered its currency and stoked inflation to an almost 11-year high. Analysts see the slowdown as catalyst for mergers.

Sterling has completed book building for a N35 billion bond sale, its first tranche of a debt programme, Suleiman said, but added that the bank will raise only 20 per cent of that amount to gauge appetite once it receives regulatory approval.
Bond yields in Nigeria are currently below inflation at 16.5 per cent in June. The most liquid 5-year government bond traded at a yield of 15.17 per cent on Tuesday.

“Once we see that the structure is acceptable and yields are moderate, we will complete series one this year. If the market remains turbulent, we will do it next year,” Suleiman said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/07/20/sterling-bank-ends-talks-to-buy-keystone-plans-bond-issue/

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by 360ng: 10:16pm On Jul 20, 2016
SORRY, WHAT IS KEYSTONE?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 20, 2016
no b small thing oo,,FTC
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by solidman59(m): 10:16pm On Jul 20, 2016
TTC
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by lamideee(f): 10:19pm On Jul 20, 2016
Wetin concern me?
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by dguizman(m): 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2016
Keystone is a dead bank already...thanks for the service they rendered for me right frm the bank phb days.

2 Likes

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
If it's not economic for them maybe...

Need something on Jumia?
CONTACT ME NOW!
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Millz404(m): 10:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
I bin tink say na micro finance bank be dat sef.... grin
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Daniel058(m): 10:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
Keystone bank too dull

1 Like

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by LeemahT(f): 10:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
Keystone bank is gradually going down the drain

1 Like

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by GoldCircle: 10:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
Why won't they take to their heels after seeing what happened to Skye Bank after they swallowed something (Former Afribank/Mainstreet bank) bigger than their stomach could accommodate?!
A word is enough for the wise!

Na leaf wey dey sweet goat, dey kill am!

4 Likes

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by san316(m): 10:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
Bad market for keystone, the unworthy bride.
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by dadebayo1(m): 10:32pm On Jul 20, 2016
What is happening to keystone bank? Noticed they have shut down the office at awolowo Road ibadan.. More job loss to those working at that particular branch.. Too bad

1 Like

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Adesiji77: 10:34pm On Jul 20, 2016
dadebayo1:
What is happening to keystone bank? Noticed they have shut down the office at awolowo Road ibadan.. More job loss to those working at that particular branch.. Too bad

"Awolowo Road"? You mean at Bodija?

1 Like

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Adesiji77: 10:38pm On Jul 20, 2016
san316:
Bad market for keystone, the unworthy bride.

Looping LeemahT

It may not necessarily mean that they are going down the drain or be an "unworthy bride" as you put it.

In Sterling Bank words: “We reviewed Keystone Bank and concluded the strategic fit was not strong enough...."

In my humble opinion, that could be anything from branch network to customer segmentation...

Let us watch as events unfold. cool
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by sanandreas(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2016
They have been sending me messages and account balance I ended my marriage with them last year.
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by san316(m): 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2016
Adesiji77:

Looping LeemahT

It may not necessarily mean that they are going down the drain or be an "unworthy bride" as you put it.

In Sterling Bank words: “We reviewed Keystone Bank and concluded the strategic fit was not strong enough...."

In my humble opinion, that could be anything from branch network to customer segmentation...

Let us watch as events unfold. cool

Keystone bank as it is, with its loan portfolio and NPLs it can hardly serve any bank's strategic interest. The branch network cannot be the cause because it arguably has more branches than main street bank. It was put in the market along with enterprise and main street bank but its the only one standing.

The bank's former board of directors really dealth with the bank. Corruption in high places. They should just convert the bank to a hotel joor. Kidding though cool

2 Likes

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Adesiji77: 10:49pm On Jul 20, 2016
san316:

Keystone bank as it is, with its loan portfolio and NPLs it can hardly serve any bank's strategic interest. The branch network cannot be the cause because it arguably has more branches than main street bank. It was put in the market along with enterprise and main street bank but its the only one standing.

The bank's former board of directors really dealth with the bank. Corruption in high places. They should just convert the bank to a hotel joor. Kidding though cool

You better be kidding cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by san316(m): 10:57pm On Jul 20, 2016
Adesiji77:

You better be kidding cheesy grin
abeg oo. Before one keystone staff commit suicide for my head. LolZ. From open account to come lodge.

2 Likes

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 20, 2016
I'd have preferred GTBANK to Sterling. The former is an epitome of efficiency and innovation .

1 Like

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by obembet(f): 11:07pm On Jul 20, 2016
hope we are safe.... I have #10m in keystone
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Damfostopper(m): 11:39pm On Jul 20, 2016
I have hundred of thousands in my keystone account.... I no wan here tori o
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Chukazu: 11:48pm On Jul 20, 2016
dguizman:
Keystone is a dead bank already...thanks for the service they rendered for me right frm the bank phb days.

it's Sanusi that killed that banks.
bank PHB use to be the most creative and innovative bank but Sanusi came, saw and destroyed.
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by remzytimer: 12:18am On Jul 21, 2016
Please will this move bring back our shares back to market, I mean the shares we bought when it was bank PHB.....
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Adesiji77: 12:20am On Jul 21, 2016
GoldCircle:
Why won't they take to their heels after seeing what happened to Skye Bank after they swallowed something (Former Afribank/Mainstreet bank) bigger than their stomach could accommodate?!
A word is enough for the wise!

Na leaf wey dey sweet goat, dey kill am!

cheesy

See extract of an article that I just came across.

[b]Why we are worried

Sterling Bank’s about face decision to ditch the Keystone Bank acquisition is commendable having seen the experience of Skye Bank. However, this raises the pressure on the bank to do a deal that can help strengthen its capital adequacy ratio following the floating of the naira and the disastrous economic data reeled in 2016 Q2.

Sterling Bank is dancing on the edges with a Capital Adequacy ratio of 16.1% (6.10%above the regulatory requirement for Tier 2 banks) and Liquidity ratio improved substantially to 46%. These appear great on paper but recent events give us concerns. Here are some other chilling stats from the bank;

Downstream accounted for the highest sector impairment at 31.9%; two customers accounted for about 70% of the impaired assets
A single customer accounted for about 67% of non-performing loans in the manufacturing sector; however, the loans were past due but not impaired
NPL ratio remained flat at 4.8%, while cost of risk improved by 70 basis points to 1.6%
Sterling Bank has N99 billion in loans to the Oil and Gas Sector and another N15 billion exposure to the Power Sector. Both sectors are currently considered vulnerable following the dip in oil price and the recent struggles in the power sector. Another N48 billion is lent to the beleaguered Real Estate Sector. Out of Sterling Bank’s N338 billion loans N147 billion is denominated in foreign currency. Oil and Gas alone got about N86 billion in foreign currency denominated loans (see below).

Sterling Bank shares is down 29% year to date and trading at an earnings multiple of 4.2x. It is yet to release its 2016 Half Year results.[/b]
http://nairametrics.com/why-we-are-worried-that-sterling-bank-chickened-out-of-buying-keystone-bank/

2 Likes

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 21, 2016
360ng:
SORRY, WHAT IS KEYSTONE?
it's the key for stonning Banks
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by Nobody: 12:36am On Jul 21, 2016
Damfostopper:
I have hundred of thousands in my keystone account.... I no wan here tori o
You better withdraw before it's too late
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by rhektor(m): 1:55am On Jul 21, 2016
360ng:
SORRY, WHAT IS KEYSTONE?

Google is your friend undecided
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by obstead200(m): 2:35am On Jul 21, 2016
Bolustic:
I'd have preferred GTBANK to Sterling. The former is an epitome of efficiency and innovation .
it is not in GTB strategic plan to expand thru acquisition. I hope they stick to their strategy of internal driven expansion. one sure firm step at a time is far better than a huge unsteady leap.
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by obstead200(m): 2:49am On Jul 21, 2016
Chukazu:

it's Sanusi that killed that banks.
bank PHB use to be the most creative and innovative bank but Sanusi came, saw and destroyed.
abeg talk what u know.
what is wrong with Nigerians sef?
FYI, I was a staff in one of these toxic banks when the sanusi tsunami came. although sanusi took a very hard stance, it was necessary at that time. Those banks were being run worse than a state government treasury. the strategic looting by the management (MD and executive directors) were barely concealed. Infact it was very clear. it is true that staff were being well paid to keep them happy and make the banks look prosperous. But if, as a staff, u are sound in Accounting and financial mgt and u understand the concepts of enterprise risk management, corporate govenance and going concern, then, from a mile away, u would see the doom awaiting your organisation.

5 Likes

Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by dadebayo1(m): 5:09am On Jul 21, 2016
Adesiji77:

"Awolowo Road"? You mean at Bodija?

Yes.. The branch at bodija... I noticed the bank is no longer functioning..
Re: Sterling Bank's Talk To Buy Keystone Ends, Plans Bond Issue by eluquenson(m): 5:43am On Jul 21, 2016
Keystone has lost their share in the financial market, what a pity.
Even sterling bank looks skeptical

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yar’adua Orders Investigation Of Maltreatment Of Nigerians By Foreign Airlines / How I Make N150,000 Monthly Doing Importation Biz In 2017 Using This 5 Tricks / Paystack Records N1 Billion In Monthly Transactions Value

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.