Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,153 members, 7,807,515 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco (21663 Views)

Professional Certification Is Good But... / What Certification Is Good For History And International Studies Graduate. / The Business School Netherlands Free Training And Certification Is Here!!... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Qudbell(m): 9:43pm On Jul 20, 2016
hello friends,
I have known since my undergraduate days that being an I.T certified individual boosts your chances of landing a good job after school and my experiences in the labour market justified that. Actually, I just had my CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) but someone more experienced is telling me to switch to the Microsoft path. does anyone in here have something to add which I can learn from here?
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by wayaa007(m): 10:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
Qudbell:
hello friends,
I have known since my undergraduate days that being an I.T certified individual boosts your chances of landing a good job after school and my experiences in the labour market justified that. Actually, I just had my CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) but someone more experienced is telling me to switch to the Microsoft path. does anyone in here have something to add which I can learn from here?
****MODIFIED****
it depends on what path u wanna go, servers or networks...
Cisco has a wider range of opportunities than Microsoft, there are several paths in Cisco, and each path is essential (r&s, data center, security, collaboration, wireless, voice) but the opportunities are more abundant in professional and expert levels. Trust me Cisco is the real deal if you can get to expert certification, well paying international and domestic jobs await u. but Cisco is expensive and quite difficult, so plan before doing it. Microsoft certificates aren't as difficult as Cisco's, so every employer doesn't see that "uniqueness" with your Microsoft server certifications, might get you a job, but then you'd need to back up with more non-microsoft certifications to grow. both have jobs, but in the long run, Cisco pays you better(expert o!!!)...
my opinions only

21 Likes

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Qudbell(m): 10:48pm On Jul 20, 2016
thanks but what I really wanna know is which is more open to job opportunities and flexibility.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by brunofarad(m): 6:30am On Jul 22, 2016
Here to learn

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by mrphysics(m): 6:31am On Jul 22, 2016
Both!

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by samx4real(m): 6:31am On Jul 22, 2016
For naija all na same...

Without Conne nothing for u

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by abat4real37(f): 6:32am On Jul 22, 2016
Cisco
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Nobody: 6:32am On Jul 22, 2016
Well, I think Cisco is better because he sang Unleash The Dragon & Thong Song grin cheesy grin

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by davibid: 6:34am On Jul 22, 2016

I'm waiting for the geniuses in the house

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by MrSmith007: 6:34am On Jul 22, 2016
Cisco
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Achorise: 6:34am On Jul 22, 2016
Guy ,get the two, the two certification is better.

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by carpenter(m): 6:35am On Jul 22, 2016
Qudbell:
thanks but what I really wanna know is which is more open to job opportunities and flexibility.

Do both at entry level and see where your career takes you. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. On opportunities, it really doesn't matter much at entry level. Quite a number of people even have both at the highest levels.

I did my CCNA before getting my first MCP. I never went beyond CCNA eventually because my career was steered towards Servers, Desktops and Applications...so I concentrated on the Microsoft ones. Cisco gives you a very good foundation in understanding networks and that push, at entry level...their exams are a little more difficult and more expensive.

4 Likes

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by AntiWailer: 6:37am On Jul 22, 2016
No comparison.

If you can do the two, do them.

If you have to prioritize and it is networking line, prioritize Cisco.

The most important thing is that you must know whatever you are doing inside out.

Certification will only get u audience from a prospective employer, it will not get u the job.

What you KNOW and can DO matters.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by titsqueez(m): 6:38am On Jul 22, 2016
Oracle
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Damola00: 6:40am On Jul 22, 2016
Weac certificate!
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by xreal: 6:48am On Jul 22, 2016
Akathriel:
Well, I think Cisco is better because he sang Unleash The Dragon & Thong Song grin cheesy grin
you are funny.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by bsaying(m): 6:51am On Jul 22, 2016
God bless Nigeria
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 22, 2016
Following..
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Makapounse(m): 6:59am On Jul 22, 2016
Cisco
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by originalhuman: 7:13am On Jul 22, 2016
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by debbie(f): 7:15am On Jul 22, 2016
It depends on what you want. Do u want to go into servers or network? Well if u desire to go into cisco aim for the peak-CCIE and be a master in it,you willdistingish ur self from every other cisco certified person.
As for microsoft,it is really deep and you must be ready To dive into it. Many corporate and govt org use microsoft packages and its evolving daily.

Note you certification is not u,what you can offer and your skills is what is you.
If possible know the basics of both and decide where ur passion is.

3 Likes

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Ephreboh(m): 7:17am On Jul 22, 2016
Akathriel:

how far bros,you don take your drugs? person dey ask beta q,you dey do lubbish

2 Likes

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Gbengard(m): 7:22am On Jul 22, 2016
wayaa007:

****MODIFIED****
it depends on what path u wanna go, servers or networks...
Cisco has a wider range of opportunities than Microsoft, there are several paths in Cisco, and each path is essential (r&s, data center, security, collaboration, wireless, voice) but the opportunities are more abundant in professional and expert levels. Trust me Cisco is the real deal if you can get to expert certification, well paying international and domestic jobs await u. but Cisco is expensive and quite difficult, so plan before doing it. Microsoft certificates aren't as difficult as Cisco's, so every employer doesn't see that "uniqueness" with your Microsoft server certifications, might get you a job, but then you'd need to back up with more non-microsoft certifications to grow. both have jobs, but in the long run, Cisco pays you better(expert o!!!)...
my opinions only

Sir, how about oracle? Can you enlighten me on the certification?

1 Like

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by outofthebox: 7:24am On Jul 22, 2016
Trust me both are important for a newbie. I always advise everybody to go for MCSA and CCNA.
If you find yourself in an enterprise environment with only CCNA, you wuld find it a little difficult.
If you find yurself in an ISP envirnment with only CCNA, you would still be able to patch thrugh.

But overall I would advise you to choose one path as you begin to explor the basic foundations of the two
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by morayo08(m): 7:25am On Jul 22, 2016
Guy good talk, you must know what you are doing inside out and it will get you the audience you need but what I want to point out to is that without these certifications you have very limited negotiation power at the interview because your drive, skills, experience, qualifications and additional certications will be put into consideration for the offer you will be given. I.e A CCNP cert applicant with same skills as CCNA or non CCNA applicant can never be given same offer because of the cost of training and also point of not is that all these big organizations get discount from CISCO not Microsoft based on the number of licensed engineer on their pay Role.

I have done my MCP, CCNP etc and I have being on both side of career path and I can tell you that the diff is clear and I will share how I was able to make my choice.

With desktops, servers etc please ask yourself the question, can someone pay me in the next 4 years to consult me on what I am doing? When secondary students are already have hands on. Cisco is a lifetime career path and I stand to be corrected.

Conclusion: study for a month, take the ITIL V3 certification which is nt expensive and this will give u better understanding of whatever path you choose. Best of luck

AntiWailer:
No comparison.

If you can do the two, do them.

If you have to prioritize and it is networking line, prioritize Cisco.

The most important thing is that you must know whatever you are doing inside out.

Certification will only get u audience from a prospective employer, it will not get u the job.

What you KNOW and can DO matters.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by olatpic(m): 7:38am On Jul 22, 2016
Nice post... very informative
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Ephreboh(m): 7:40am On Jul 22, 2016
Akathriel:

how far bros,person dey ask beta q,you dey do lubbish
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by wayaa007(m): 7:42am On Jul 22, 2016
Gbengard:

Sir, how about oracle? Can you enlighten me on the certification?
Bro, i don't really know about Oracle.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by Allboiz: 7:50am On Jul 22, 2016
debbie:
It depends on what you want. Do u want to go into servers or network? Well if u desire to go into cisco aim for the peak-CCIE and be a master in it,you willdistingish ur self from every other cisco certified person.
As for microsoft,it is really deep and you must be ready To dive into it. Many corporate and govt org use microsoft packages and its evolving daily.
Note you certification is not u,what you can offer and your skills is what is you.
If possible know the basics of both and decide where ur passion is.

morayo08:
Guy good talk, you must know what you are doing inside out and it will get you the audience you need but what I want to point out to is that without these certifications you have very limited negotiation power at the interview because your drive, skills, experience, qualifications and additional certications will be put into consideration for the offer you will be given. I.e A CCNP cert applicant with same skills as CCNA or non CCNA applicant can never be given same offer because of the cost of training and also point of not is that all these big organizations get discount from CISCO not Microsoft based on the number of licensed engineer on their pay Role.
I have done my MCP, CCNP etc and I have being on both side of career path and I can tell you that the diff is clear and I will share how I was able to make my choice.
With desktops, servers etc please ask yourself the question, can someone pay me in the next 4 years to consult me on what I am doing? When secondary students are already have hands on. Cisco is a lifetime career path and I stand to be corrected.
Conclusion: study for a month, take the ITIL V3 certification which is nt expensive and this will give u better understanding of whatever path you choose. Best of luck

Nice response... Pls, what is your view on COMPTIA A+ in terms of job opportunity in Nigeria today?
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by idowuomagegmai: 7:52am On Jul 22, 2016
My brother, I have been opportuned to work with both for almost seven years
My advice
Get the two if you can.
MS is more open to job opportunity but very rigid.

Cisco more flexible and open to job also.
Go for both.
Re: Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco by RobinHez(m): 8:09am On Jul 22, 2016
I also need this info... embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pall Bearers: How ‘Fearless’ Men Are Making Brisk Business From The Dead / Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / These 5 Innocent/casual Habits Will Get You Fired From Your Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.