Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? (603 Views)

Protest Going On In Port Harcourt Due To The Escaped Murderer Of 8yr Old Girl / Sodienye Mbatumukeke: Accused Murderer Of Jumia Delivery Man, Failed Parenting / Kaduna Notorious Murderer And Kidnapper Killed By Angry Mob - Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by BizLifeE: 8:44am On Jul 21, 2016
Your lawyer gets disbarred and your new lawyer moves to have the evidence against you suppressed and sues your old lawyer (on your behalf) for malpractice for having breached the attorney-client privilege.

You'll probably be prosecuted but, unless the police can find independent evidence of your guilt that isn't "fruit of the poisonous tree" of the inadmissible confession, you won't actually go to trial. But expect the police to be very aggressive in trying to find such evidence. Also see Richard Allen's cogent argument to the contrary on this point. A good prosecutor may be able to find ways around suppression or simply convince the court not to suppress the statement in the first place.

A deliberate breach of the attorney-client privilege in a capital case (a case which might lead to the death penalty) would be a career-ending move for a criminal law attorney, unless the breach fell within the very limited exceptions to the privilege that Tina Marshall covers in her answer.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-I-tell-my-lawyer-I-killed-someone-and-he-tells-the-police

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by ammyluv2002(f): 8:52am On Jul 21, 2016
Never lie to these set of people;

1. Priests/Pastors
2. Lawyers
3. Doctors

Act wisely!
Re: Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 21, 2016
sad
Re: Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by Juxtified(m): 9:20am On Jul 21, 2016
Your lawyer will defend you better if he believes with all his heart that you are innocent
Re: Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by oglalasioux(m): 11:01am On Jul 21, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Never lie to these set of people;

1. Priests/Pastors
2. Lawyers
3. Doctors

Act wisely!

Except the bolded.
Re: Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by WebSurfer(m): 11:28am On Jul 21, 2016
shocked
Re: Should I Tell My Lawyer That I’m A Murderer? by andyanders: 3:23pm On Jul 21, 2016
You must tell him the truth in order for him to be able to understand the case and how to defend you. Also note that you can ONLY be proven guilty if there was clear evidence and proof, that you truly committed the offense. The court must establish intent to commit and also establish proof of murder. It could be that you committed murder as a result of provocation or self defense. A good lawyer can get you manslaughter which carries a lesser sentence, as they fell under a felony.

So, tell him the truth.

(1) (Reply)

Cambodian Judge Ends Trial Of 8 Suspected Nigerian Drug Dealers - PM News / Militancy: Police To Build Stations At Creeks / Please Help This Abused Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.