Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,555 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under (34871 Views)

People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records / Mass Grave With 200 Bodies Found Under Supermarket In Central Paris(photos). / Man Takes Selfie With Dead Kano Quiz Students Bodies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 22, 2016
allanphash7:
I wouldnt know but i would prefer that cos i believe that is the only memorable thing i believe i can do for my state
that is also good.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by HighQue007: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2016
Its just all depends on culture..there is no science back up..like i an aware in india, they burn the dead to ashes which they keep the ashe inisde a bottle for years...its culture
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:
I will prefer cremation when i die very soon/sooner. smiley grin
my kinda person u are
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by TheSPEAKER(m): 9:55am On Jul 22, 2016
I don't fear death. I have the consciousness that all men die, I am a man and therefore I must die.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by khalhokage(m): 9:56am On Jul 22, 2016
Cremation all the way, to hell with expensive and unnecessary funerals and slow and disgusting decomposition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 22, 2016
PheezyLee:

Dude don loose hope cry the hustle is real!
It's not like that bro, some of us (e.g Me) would love to die young. Say 30 or 40(max). I would love to die by my own terms and conditions too (Suicide). Not everyone wants to grow old.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by tete7000(m): 9:57am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:

.....grin spending so much money throwing parties (funeral) on my behalf hell no!

You really might not have much control over what happened after you are gone.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 22, 2016
TheSPEAKER:
I don't fear death. I have the consciousness that all men die, I am a man and therefore I must die.

Valahar Morgulis.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 22, 2016
PheezyLee:

Dude don loose hope cry the hustle is real!
i ain't loosing hope man. thanks.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Rexyl(m): 10:01am On Jul 22, 2016
spartoo:

most of our daily activities are borrowed, even eating with a spoon grin

LOL!

how will it look like if people are eating foods like rice, liquid pap with fingers?
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by PheezyLee(m): 10:03am On Jul 22, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

It's not like that bro, some of us (e.g Me) would love to die young. Say 30 or 40(max). I would love to die by my own terms and conditions too (Suicide). Not everyone wants to grow old.

Babe, u kidding? Would like 2know u more, talk 2me
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by TheSPEAKER(m): 10:04am On Jul 22, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

Valahar Morgulis.

Valahar Morgulis? Translate.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by awa(m): 10:04am On Jul 22, 2016
OP

Next time, please research on Nigeria economic situations and proffer way forward....

You can even research on why some ZOMBIES are finding it difficult to chop now their Sai whatever is in power...

Thanks Mr. Researcher.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 22, 2016
khalhokage:
Cremation all the way, to hell with expensive and unnecessary funerals and slow and disgusting decomposition.

That part I hateeeeee. My mom was 52 when she died. Called her pastor that evening to tell him I'll be burying her the next day and I won't bring her to church, they should meet us at the house instead told him I also want the whole ceremony to last for just 30minutes.
I was 19 then and an only child. Her siblings thought I was spoilt but who cares.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 22, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

You'd love to die young? Suicide?

I hope your parents are reading this so they can get professional help for you. angry
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 22, 2016
TheSPEAKER:

Valahar Morgulis? Translate.
All men must die.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by PheezyLee(m): 10:06am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:
i ain't loosing hope man. thanks.

Ok... my prayer 4u is long life with good health &wealth

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by awa(m): 10:08am On Jul 22, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

May it be unto you according to believe Sis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Iseoluwani: 10:08am On Jul 22, 2016
grin when you are d grave grin

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Elchappo: 10:09am On Jul 22, 2016
People re buried 6 feet below cous their spirit can only dig 5 feet in event of trying to escape earth beneath..

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by bsaying(m): 10:09am On Jul 22, 2016
aaronson:
Me I intend donating my vital organs soon as the doctor certify me flat line. There are lives to be saved, Think about that.

Why donate ur vital organs when the benefactor would still die Lol

Everything is truly vanity
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by TheSPEAKER(m): 10:12am On Jul 22, 2016
if a dying African wishes to be cremated after death, I'm almost certain his family will do otherwise after his demise. undecided

What I detest most is a grave inside a house or room of the deceased.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by sexychocho(f): 10:15am On Jul 22, 2016
Rily shocked

Neva knew oooo
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by jrusky(m): 10:18am On Jul 22, 2016
I went straight to check you profile to see who exactly you are before posting this comment. Please "Mr" why this kind of thread by this time of morning So in all things of life burying dead in 6 feet quest is all you can think of as a young man this Friday morning Very interesting indeed.

I think you should ask the undertakers or possibly any Oldies in your family or around you they might know better because this is not a question for a young person. Thanks
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by banmee(m): 10:21am On Jul 22, 2016
spartoo:
I have pondered on this for a while so I decided to make a little research.

The "six-feet" idiom came to be during the Great Plague of London in 1665. With 20 percent of London’s population succumbing to the Bubonic plague, the death rate had reached over 8,000 per week. The disease continued to sweep the country due in part to the shallow graves that bodies were buried in, or so they believed at the time.
In an effort to limit the outbreak, The Lord Mayor of London enacted a series of rules in regard to the plague, which included a mandate that all graves be buried a minimum of six feet deep.
The law fell into disuse for a time as dead bodies were not responsible for the spread of the disease.
The law was eventually overturned in England and its colonies, but this didn’t last long. By the 19th century medical science had seen a huge increase in the use of human cadavers for teaching purposes. While most bodies used were executed criminals, the indigent or donated bodies, the increasing demand led to a shortage of corpses. This demand created a new type of criminal, the Resurrectionists; criminals who stole corpses, also known as “body snatching.”
Grave robbing became a lucrative business.
Grave robbing became a very profitable business. Some grave robbers were able to dig up four corpses per night in less than two hours to sell to the medical colleges. They could perform this task so quickly because during this period many bodies were buried only six inches below the surface. As the fear of being exhumed and displayed in an anatomical theatre for dissection haunted the aristocracy, the law reverted to the old standard of being buried six feet deep.
Modern American burial laws vary from state to state, with many states requiring just a minimum of 18 inches of soil on top of the casket or burial vault. Given an 18-inch dirt buffer and the height of the average casket, a grave as shallow as four feet would be sufficient, but old habits die hard and six feet deep is now standard.

For health and sanitary reason. Mostly so that it does not contaminate the water table.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:22am On Jul 22, 2016
i dey scared oooo may God help me oooo embarassed embarassed embarassed cry
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 10:25am On Jul 22, 2016
hustler86:
Before 1665 how was corpse buried? ... I smell an atheist ideology.. I'm outta here wink

am not atheist my man.. I am a Christian..

back to ur question.. before 1665, graves were very much shallower than 6 feet dat was why decomposing bodies were thought to be the origin of the Bubonic disease. mayb u did not understand the post
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by CarlosGCN(m): 10:26am On Jul 22, 2016
Hmmmm... Never knew about this before now...
spartoo:
I have pondered on this for a while so I decided to make a little research.

The "six-feet" idiom came to be during the Great Plague of London in 1665. With 20 percent of London’s population succumbing to the Bubonic plague, the death rate had reached over 8,000 per week. The disease continued to sweep the country due in part to the shallow graves that bodies were buried in, or so they believed at the time.
In an effort to limit the outbreak, The Lord Mayor of London enacted a series of rules in regard to the plague, which included a mandate that all graves be buried a minimum of six feet deep.
The law fell into disuse for a time as dead bodies were not responsible for the spread of the disease.
The law was eventually overturned in England and its colonies, but this didn’t last long. By the 19th century medical science had seen a huge increase in the use of human cadavers for teaching purposes. While most bodies used were executed criminals, the indigent or donated bodies, the increasing demand led to a shortage of corpses. This demand created a new type of criminal, the Resurrectionists; criminals who stole corpses, also known as “body snatching.”
Grave robbing became a lucrative business.
Grave robbing became a very profitable business. Some grave robbers were able to dig up four corpses per night in less than two hours to sell to the medical colleges. They could perform this task so quickly because during this period many bodies were buried only six inches below the surface. As the fear of being exhumed and displayed in an anatomical theatre for dissection haunted the aristocracy, the law reverted to the old standard of being buried six feet deep.
Modern American burial laws vary from state to state, with many states requiring just a minimum of 18 inches of soil on top of the casket or burial vault. Given an 18-inch dirt buffer and the height of the average casket, a grave as shallow as four feet would be sufficient, but old habits die hard and six feet deep is now standard.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by khalhokage(m): 10:27am On Jul 22, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

That part I hateeeeee. My mom was 52 when she died. Called her pastor that evening to tell him I'll be burying her the next day and I won't bring her to church, they should meet us at the house instead told him I also want the whole ceremony to last for just 30minutes.
I was 19 then and an only child. Her siblings thought I was spoilt but who cares.

I love that you didn't let anyone decide for you how to honor your moms memory.

A small gathering of family and friends is he best way to go.

Instead we're fond of borrowing money to feed strangers in the name of burial.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 10:27am On Jul 22, 2016
Rexyl:

LOL!

how will it look like if people are eating foods like rice, liquid pap with fingers?

it wouldn't look strange because we wld see it as the normal thing

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 22, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

Valahar Morgulis.
who will look after ur children if u die at the age of 30-40
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by gloriana(f): 10:27am On Jul 22, 2016
dynamo77:
This is a very reasonable topic

I have always thought about it too and whenever I ask questions, I never get direct answers
some people sef ehn. who did u ask? when u didn't get direct answer y didn't u ask ur trusted friends Google? nawa o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

TASUED Fresh Graduate Commits Suicide Over Possible Carryover (Photos) / 10 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Ever Schooled In A Boarding School. / Walden University Is On My Neck.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.