Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,759 members, 7,806,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss (14637 Views)

Online Business Is An Illusion - There's No Business On The Internet / Tired Of Being Broke? See An Opportunity Many Nigerians Have Overlooked / NEITI Condemns N1.1trillion Tax Waivers To Oil Firms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by johntaiwo123(m): 7:51pm On Jul 21, 2016
Abuja – Mr Waziri Adio, the Executive Secretary, Nigerian Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI), on Tuesday said that there was no reason for Nigeria to have 110 million people living in poverty.

“With the kind of money Nigeria made from oil in the past decades, there is no reason it should have 110 million poor people,’’ Adio said during a visit to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

The NEITI boss said that the visit was aimed at renewing collaboration between the two organizations to end corruption, impunity and mismanagement in the country’s oil, gas and mining revenues

Adio said for years, Nigeria enjoyed being an oil producing nation and reaped trillions of dollars in oil wealth, yet did not reach all levels in the society due to mismanagement and corrupt practices.

“For too long our country is used as a symbol for anything that is wrong in terms of countries that are endowed with resources. We want that narrative to change.

“If you recall, countries like Ghana, Kenya and others have also discovered oil and the first thing they do is to say how do we ensure that this resources will not lead us to the situation where Nigeria has been.

“A situation where natural resources lead to corruption, mismanagement and acute poverty.

“The Vice-President recently said that about 110 million Nigerians are poor. With the kind of trillions that we have made from oil, we have no reason to be there.

“We have no reason to have even 10 million Nigerians poor. So we want to change the narrative of Nigeria from the Norways of this world to the UAEs and the Botswana of this world,’’ he said.

He encouraged the National Assembly, the Economic and Financial Crime Commission and office of the Auditor-General with oversight functions to make use of the wealth of information in NEITI reports to fight corruption.

NAN recalls that in 12 years since NEITI’s establishment, it had published several reports that showed under remittance of revenue by NNPC to the federation account.

It ‘s reports also revealed cases of under remittance of taxes by multinational corporations in the sector, the shoddy way the subsidy of petroleum products were handled and the impact of illegal mining among others.

Meanwhile the Managing Director, News Agency of Nigeria, Mr Bayo Onanuga assured NEITI of the agency’s support.

“ A lot of things are happening; people are stealing our money; there is impunity over the place and we seem powerless. Sometimes even prosecution agencies seem powerless.

“When they take accused persons to court, the lawyers will come with their interlocutory injunctions and all kinds of things.

“Judges will give a suspect medical leave. This can only happen in Nigeria and I share his (Buhari) frustrations and I hope NEITI can help overcome all these problems,’’ he said.

He assured NEITI of NAN’s readiness to partner with the organisation in propagating all the frightening reports of the plundering of the nation that had been happening for decades.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/110m-people-no-business-poor-nigeria-says-neiti-boss/
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by ezechueze(m): 7:53pm On Jul 21, 2016
Life is good with LG ELECTRONICS

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2016
I know this sounds off topic and stup1d but at times when I'm alone, I dye my hair white, lick the kitchen floor and pretend I'm a mop. sad

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Babangida70(m): 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2016
Mr Waziri Adio and senseless comments are like.............

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by mikeczay: 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2016
Name so
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by somehowpenis(m): 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2016
Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by ElekeNtioba: 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2016
Nigeria's case get as e be. The problem is known and even the solution is available, yet nothing is done.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by BE811APP: 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2016
110 Million shocked shocked shocked

How many we be for dis OgbodoNigeria sef?
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Emac(m): 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2016
I made FTC..

don't even know what this guy is saying. .. evry thing in Nigeria is pooor..

14 Likes

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by buzzybrain88(m): 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
Nigeria needs revolution.until d youth wakes up,oyo for dem

3 Likes

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by bettercreature(m): 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Crieff(m): 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
As if they choose to be poor....

2 Likes

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Sunofgod(m): 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2016

9 Likes

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by agrovick(m): 10:11pm On Jul 21, 2016
LastMumu:
I know this sounds off topic and stup1d but at times when I'm alone, I dye my hair white, lick the kitchen floor and pretend I'm a mop. sad
I feel you

2 Likes

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by dipopooo(m): 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2016
I hate to disrespect elders i would have called Mr Waziri an eediot. Majority of Nigerians are poor simply because our leaders & pple in power do fix their children in big companies, government agencies & ministries. They would nw be preaching to children of nobody to be self employed or start farming.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by lukasmuyiwa(m): 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2016
pls someone should brief me jare
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by rawpadgin(m): 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2016
everytime I think about the situation of this country, I feel like killing all the past leaders that are still alive
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Franklyf(m): 10:16pm On Jul 21, 2016
Oga NEITI boss, and you not correct. There are countries richer than Nigeria, unfortunately which have some or number of her citizens living below poverty line. Go to Germany, Denmark US etc, but there are homeless people on there Streets.

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
12 years and this is all you can say Proffer solutions not complaints! undecided A na akogheri! Mtchew!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
Who should be blamed?
Leaders or the Led

Need something on Jumia?
Contact me Now!
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by osaslord500(m): 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
Mtcheew,words from a corrupt man, it's time to quit talking and start acting..

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by rawpadgin(m): 10:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
Crieff:
As if they choose to be poor....
i can bet my left ball, u didn't read the thread

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by canDy4eva(f): 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2016
agrovick:

I feel you
r u guys frm same zoo cool shocked

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by kings09(m): 10:23pm On Jul 21, 2016
Buhari oo
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by agrovick(m): 10:24pm On Jul 21, 2016
canDy4eva:
r u guys frm same zoo cool shocked
Rotfl

Define zoo gringringrin
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 21, 2016
Sunofgod:
Nice dp! cool
Never knew gifs could be used! smiley
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by lonelydora: 10:26pm On Jul 21, 2016
Meaning Nigeria should have been Luxembourg of Africa based on the GDP.
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by johntaiwo123(m): 10:27pm On Jul 21, 2016
The gap between the Rich and the poor is so wide. NigeriA need to wakeup!

1 Like

Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by IMASTEX: 10:35pm On Jul 21, 2016
Suffering and smiling says Fela. God has even left this continent called Africa
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by obaival(m): 10:35pm On Jul 21, 2016
Where s d job promised
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by shammah1(m): 10:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
This is a very senseless word from this dummy. He should simply resign his position
Re: 110m Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor, Says NEITI Boss by shammah1(m): 10:46pm On Jul 21, 2016
Start with the present ones undecided
rawpadgin:
everytime I think about the situation of this country, I feel like killing all the past leaders that are still alive

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN To Resume Weekly FX Interventions Through BDCs / Class Action Suit Against Gtbank For Misleading 199/$ Card Charges / Indomie, Maggi, Others Emerge Most Chosen Brands In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.