Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

After JAMB ‘jams’ You, What Next? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / After JAMB ‘jams’ You, What Next? (1446 Views)

JAMB UPDATE: How To Correct Your Data After JAMB 2018/2019 Registration / What To Do After JAMB / After JAMB CBT Examination, Expert Describes Ishaq Oloyede As A Bulldozer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

After JAMB ‘jams’ You, What Next? by vosquare: 8:09am On Jul 22, 2016
After JAMB ‘jams’ you, what next?

My header might seem a little funny and embarrassing. Kindly pardon me as it is a popular language used by all and sundry- Jambites, parents, teachers, even university students in Nigeria. UTME, University Tertiary Matriculation Examination is an examination written by students who want to further their education to any tertiary institution in Nigeria and is controlled or directed by the Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB). Most times, you hear things like“Hope Jamb no jam you” or “shey jamb don jam am?” The language is not new to JAMB candidates as they hear it most times after the examinations or when the results are being released. It is widely believed that the JAMB examination in the past few years have had has a lot of discrepancies ranging from improper marking to very erratic distribution of scores. Hence, this brought about the funny expression of JAMB “jamming” someone.

Anyways, today I’ll like to drop a little something for those who JAMB has “jammed”. Pardon my expression please. It’s just to create a little humour in the post. Now below are some few tips on ‘What next’ after an unsuccessful attempt at the UTME.

1. *PRE-DEGREE*: Pre degree, as the name implies is a programme organized by a couple of Universities in Nigeria to facilitate admission into the organizing university. It mostly runs for 9 months- 1 year, depending on the university.

Thankfully the programme requires no UTME result to be admitted into the programme. Just an entrance exam and if you pass the cut off mark for your combination, you’re in. During the programme, the students get lectured extensively on the subjects they will take in the forthcoming UTME exam.

They will also be required to write internal exams for which they will be graded. Anyone who scores up to the Pre-degree cutoff for his/her desired course will be admitted without even writing the POST UTME of that university. The advantages of this programme are:

1. The student doesn’t get to sit at home idle.

2. He/she gets lectured by highly sophisticated lecturers.

3. They get a lower UTME cutoff mark which is 180 (for universities whose cutoff marks are 200 though) as against their POST UTME counterparts.

4. Once they pass their cutoff marks, their admission is secure.

5. They get a taste of the university life.

Some Nigerian Universities that offer this programme are: OAU, FUTA, OOU

1. Diploma/ A’Levels/ IJMB/ JUPEB: This option is for those who feel they cannot lose one year in their quest for admission. Diploma, A Levels and IJMB offer a candidate the opportunity to gain admission into a university upon completion of the programme not into 100Level but to 200L. Diploma is offered by UNILAG, I know for sure. It is quite expensive and requires no other criteria except passing the programme. A Levels/IJMB/JUPEB are practically the same thing. It is just like the regular WAEC exam but advanced. It will require the candidate to still register for JAMB and write a POST UTME exam to the University of their Choice.

2. *Skill Acquisition*: Not my personal opinion but a public one. Majority advice, due to the economy of the country, for a school leaver to acquire a skill so that he/she can get established anytime or anywhere, even in school. It would go a long way in generating little bits of income for them and even get them set up once they graduate.

Those are my little titbits on what next after JAMB ‘jams’ you. I wish you all the best!

Cc Lalasticlala
Seun
Ishilove
Source: http://www.themchub.com/jamb-jams-next/
Re: After JAMB ‘jams’ You, What Next? by divinehand2003(m): 8:12am On Jul 22, 2016
Join Niger delta avengers then as next option.
Re: After JAMB ‘jams’ You, What Next? by haryomikun(m): 9:52am On Jul 22, 2016
In reference to the post above, copy and paste can be allowed but please link back to the source ie. TheMchub. Thanks in advance

Cc Fynestboi Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Unizik Students Express Shock As A 3 Storey Building Collapsed At Ifite (photos) / How To Score 290+ In This 2018 UTME / Kwara Poly Signing Out Ceremony In Grand Style.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.