Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,923 members, 7,802,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God (1549 Views)

There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / Johan Huibers Builds Noah's Ark Replica To Prove The Bible Was Right (pics) / Do You Actually Believe In The Existence Of Witches And Wizards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by honourhim: 1:22pm On Jul 28, 2016
Jadonjack:
Now, leaving on one side for a moment, the question of Gods omnipotence...

How should we understand Gods power in general? The reason for this question is that it seems obvious that our(human) power to act and gods power to act are importantly different. Generally, when we do things, we do one thing by doing another.

For instance, A revolutionary who wishes to incite a revolution decides to do this by assassinating the president. He assassinates the president by shooting him with a gun, he shoots the gun by pulling the trigger and so on.

He has to achieve his aims in this indirect way because he cannot control directly(by mere thought) the course of events...

He can only perform one of those actions by performing another...

Theists, generally agreed that Gods power is not essentially like that. Although he could choose to operate in this indirect manner, he does not have to. He can by-pass all the indirect methods which human uses, and he can actualise directly, watever status of affairs he wishes to.

In other words, if he(God) wishes to make the president dies, he does not have to bring it about that the president is shot, posisoned, savaged by hungry lions or struck by lightning. He can simply make the president drop dead, without there being any intervening causal chain between his(Gods) will and the end at which it aims.

If he wishes the gun to fire, he can simply make the bullet shoot out of the barrel, he does not have to make that happen by making the trigger move...

Oh ok..i'm just seeing this now. Will go thru it much later in the day and reply you.
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by donnffd(m): 7:31pm On Jul 28, 2016
Jadonjack:

Of course it has... Since no being is omnipotent, it means the God we were made to believe can do all things does not exist.

In other words, according to the religious books, for you to be God, you should be able to do all things....

If you can't do ALL things, you are not God and if nobody can do ALL things, it simply means there is no God.

Got it?!

@bolded, you are already presupposing that God must be all-powerful which necessarily doesnt have to be so...

There are different definitions of God, so you concluding that there is no God just because no being is capable of omnipotence is really off.
Your conclusion would have made more logical sense if no God capable of omnipotence exists.
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 28, 2016
Just like the 1st example I made, another example of a limit on Gods omnipotence is raised by a very traditional though frivolous sounding question- 'Can God Create a Stone Which is too Heavy for him to lift up?'

The thought here is that the answer must either be 'YES' or 'NO'. Either way reveals a limitation on Gods power.

If the answer is 'YES', then, there can be a stone too heavy for God to lift, so he is not omnipotent...

If the answer is 'NO', then there is a stone too heavy for God to create, so he is not omnipotent.

Since Omnipotence is a defining characteristic of God and it has just been shown that the concept is self contradictory, it follows that no being can be omnipotent and hence GOD DOES NOT EXIST.
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 28, 2016
donnffd:

@bolded, you are already presupposing that God must be all-powerful which necessarily doesnt have to be so...

There are different definitions of God, so you concluding that there is no God just because no being is capable of omnipotence is really off.
Your conclusion would have made more logical sense if no God capable of omnipotence exists.

I strongly believe you need to work on your comprehension sense bro(no offence)

BTW, will you tell me a god that is omnipotent?
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by donnffd(m): 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2016
Jadonjack:

I strongly believe you need to work on your comprehension sense bro(no offence)

BTW, will you tell me a god that is omnipotent?

I do take offense, if you throw insults to people who question your logic, what differentiates you from a religious ranter?

This is your logic
A. No being can be omnipotent
B. God is omnipotent
C. Therefore God doesnt exist.

Your logic is already flawed because there is no rule that says God must be omnipotent, and so i said, your conclusion shud be "a God who is omnipotent cannot and doesnt exist".

If you cannot be challenged without throwing insults, then i dont see why you should be challenging theists at all...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 28, 2016
donnffd:

I do take offense, if you throw insults to people who question your logic, what differentiates you from a religious ranter?

This is your logic
A. No being can be omnipotent
B. God is omnipotent
C. Therefore God doesnt exist.

Your logic is already flawed because there is no rule that says God must be omnipotent, and so i said, your conclusion shud be "a God who is omnipotent cannot and doesnt exist".

If you cannot be challenged without throwing insults, then i dont see why you should be challenging theists at all...

This isn't the kinda argument you should be making

What differentiates my logic from your 'my should be' conclusion?!

Well, let me tell you somethings you obviously don't know(if you are a christian)

- Every theist(christian) believes in the bible
- The strongly believe in everything the bible teaches them about God

Now if you'v got a bible close to you, please read Job 11 7-10, jeremiah 32:17, revelation 19:6, psalm 147:5, and tell me how its isn't a must for God to be omnipotent before he can be referred to as one
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by donnffd(m): 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2016
Jadonjack:

This isn't the kinda argument you should be making

What differentiates my logic from your 'my should be' conclusion?!

Well, let me tell you somethings you obviously don't know(if you are a christian)

- Every theist(christian) believes in the bible
- The strongly believe in everything the bible teaches them about God

Now if you'v got a bible close to you, please read Job 11 7-10, jeremiah 32:17, psalm 147:5, and tell me how its isn't a must for God to be omnipotent before he can be referred to as one

Oga, u obviously dont knw me, i am not a christian...i am an atheist and i tot ur question was valid, i saw a flaw in the logic and wanted to point it out, you started throwing insults...

God means different things to different people, so based on the definition of the god, you know whether it exists or not...you dont just conclude that no god exist because noone can be omnipotent, thats bad logic...

1 Like

Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 29, 2016
donnffd:

Oga, u obviously dont knw me, i am not a christian...i am an atheist and i tot ur question was valid, i saw a flaw in the logic and wanted to point it out, you started throwing insults...

God means different things to different people, so based on the definition of the god, you know whether it exists or not...you dont just conclude that no god exist because noone can be omnipotent, thats bad logic...

Bros, my theory is basically directed to the bible God...

He claims he's omnipotent
Since no being is omnipotent
He doesn't exist

In other words, any god who claims to be god cos he's omnipotent does not exist cos no being is omnipotent
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by honourhim: 9:58am On Jul 29, 2016
Jadonjack:
Now, leaving on one side for a moment, the question of Gods omnipotence...

How should we understand Gods power in general? The reason for this question is that it seems obvious that our(human) power to act and gods power to act are importantly different. Generally, when we do things, we do one thing by doing another.

For instance, A revolutionary who wishes to incite a revolution decides to do this by assassinating the president. He assassinates the president by shooting him with a gun, he shoots the gun by pulling the trigger and so on.

He has to achieve his aims in this indirect way because he cannot control directly(by mere thought) the course of events...

He can only perform one of those actions by performing another...

Theists, generally agreed that Gods power is not essentially like that. Although he could choose to operate in this indirect manner, he does not have to. He can by-pass all the indirect methods which human uses, and he can actualise directly, watever status of affairs he wishes to.

In other words, if he(God) wishes to make the president dies, he does not have to bring it about that the president is shot, posisoned, savaged by hungry lions or struck by lightning. He can simply make the president drop dead, without there being any intervening causal chain between his(Gods) will and the end at which it aims.

If he wishes the gun to fire, he can simply make the bullet shoot out of the barrel, he does not have to make that happen by making the trigger move...

God is a creator and had his concept of how he wants the world to be before creation..
He made the world a natural place with supernatural intervention being experienced sometimes.
He gave man a creative brain so that we will be able to do things on our own and help ourselves
We are not living in a supernatural world so don't expect supernatural things to be happening all the time even after God has blessed us with creative brains.
The world is meant to be a battle ground between good and evil. That's how the creator wants it and that's why he wouldn't wipe evil away in this present world as you think... That's why Lucifer was created even though God knew he would fall.
The world cannot operate outside what it was created for. (_good against evil)
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by honourhim: 10:15am On Jul 29, 2016
Jadonjack:

Bros, my theory is basically directed to the bible God...

He claims he's omnipotent
Since no being is omnipotent
He doesn't exist

In other words, any god who claims to be god cos he's omnipotent does not exist cos no being is omnipotent

Yea God is all powerful. He has the power to do all things. Anything he doesn't do simply means he doesn't want to do it not that that thing is more powerful than him.
rFor example, I have the money to buy bread but I don't want to buy. Does it mean I don't have the money?
Your arguments does not hold any water bros.
"I don't have" is different from "I have but I don't want to do"
Re: OMNIPOTENCE: A Characteristic That Prove The Non Existence Of God by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
Disappointed. What i anticipated wasn't found. Huge turn off.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Real Name Of The Most High Is Ahaya(i Am) / He Wants Me To Be His Best Friend But He Is An Atheist. / Killing Of Christians Caused Coronavirus In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.