Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

What's The The Real Message To Humanity In Your Favourite Songs? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What's The The Real Message To Humanity In Your Favourite Songs? (510 Views)

List Your Top Ten Favourite Songs / Raymond Akaolisa 'DJ Raw' Is Dead - His Last Message To Friends Will Shock You / Benjamin ‘Kokoro’ Aderounmu: The Real Life 'Drummer Boy' (pic + Sound) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's The The Real Message To Humanity In Your Favourite Songs? by Denko2721987(m): 6:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
I am a passionate lover of music because music to me is a spiritual thing and feeling which resonnates with my consciousness.. It is also a medium for the profound expression of self, as well as a form of
therapy, entertainment, and a mechanism capable
of bringing strangers together through a common love and passion for art. But most importantly, artists can help us understand the world around us by articulating thoughts and emotions through
pictures and sounds that help us further connect
with ideas.

Today, it can be difficult to find lyrical content of
substance and value while sifting through the
recycled muck of today’s mainstream pop “artists.”
However, despite the influx of unoriginal and soulless material currently tainting the airwaves,
some artists have chosen to use their spotlight to provide more conscious and thought-provoking
messages.

From Classic, Blues, Pop, Rock, Soul, Jazz, Rap and of course gospel (am a fan of almost all genres of music), there is usually that stand-out song from our favourite class of music or artist that comes around once in a while which we always want to play over and over again whose conscious and thought-provoking/deep-rooted meaning coupled with its captivating melody is so electrifying it gives us goose bumbs (i call this internal climax) whenever it seeps through our ears..

I have quite a number of such songs from my facourite artists which are quite numerous to mention a few for example - Coldplay (Moving to Mars, What if, Twisted logic, Viva La Dida etc ) - i really love cold play, Tool (big favourite), Fela (to me, he was a prophet), Bob-Marley, Lucky Dube, Brenda, Celine-Dion, Teddy-Pendergrass (i really love the power in his love songs), Disturbed (another top favourite), Dead by Sunrise - (songs like 'walking in circles' and 'end of the world' comes to mind, Tupac (his songs were truely legendary if you could sift tru the gross f-words and grasp the real deep poetry in his songs - 'who do you believe in' for example), Led Zeplin (stairway to heaven).... and so many others but these few to mention here..

One of my many favourite real-meaning songs which i will put under the spot-light today among so many other favourites is - RIGHT IN TWO by a rock band called TOOL which has this puzzling but very relevant and thought-provoking message. This song when u go through its lyrics seems to be holding or passing a powerful meaning/message (in my own opinion though) which features a melancholy viewpoint on the mindlessness of man with a solemn tune to back it up. The lyrics to this particular tune speaks
largely for themselves. An excerpt reads:

Angels on the sideline, baffled and confused

Father blessed them all with reason, and this is
what they choose.

Monkey killing monkey, killing monkey over pieces of the ground

Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they forge and
blade And where there’s one, they’re bound to divide it

Right in two

Monkey killing monkey, killing monkey over pieces
of the ground

Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down

Fight till they die over sun, over sky,

They fight till they die over sea, over air,

They fight till they die over blood, over love,

They fight till they die over words, polarizing.

Right in Two.

You can download this song from this link here (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzB9XCrwvMk) or here (mp3clan.ws/mp3/right_in_two_tool.html)

This song is a melancholy number about the senseless killing and fighting amongst a species capable of doing so much more — a species “blessed with reason”
willfully wandering along a steady path of
destruction.

For those unfamiliar with Tool’s music, a few
recommended tunes include:

“Hush”- A protest of artistic censorship“Sober”-
The demons of substance abuse.

“Sober”- The demons of substance abuse.

“Rosetta Stoned” – A song satirizing self-
proclaimed prophets.

“Parabol/Parabola” – A song about celebrating the opportunity to exist.

“Vicarious” – Explores a speculative societal
addiction to death and suffering through media.

Every revolution needs music. If there is an artist or band you think we should discuss, feel free to
mention and talk about them in the comments. Over to you guys..

(1) (Reply)

Top 5 Gospel Music To Help Build Your Faith In God / I Need Second Hand Organ / A Nairalander's Remix Of Jagaban And Who You Epp (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.