Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Bethroted - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bethroted (519 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:19pm On Jul 22, 2016
We pray to you oh Lord that you bless our food and provide for those who have none, may this never be our last. All chorused AMEN.

Colonel Johnson ransacked the tray in front of him and picked the fork his best tool for eating; he began munching the food, why are you not eating my dear? He asked. Daddy please tell the driver to stop carrying me to school, I don't like it, am grown up, I can drive on my own.

Colonel Johnson smiled, you see my dear, that can't be possible, how will people see that the only daughter of Colonel Johnson is driving herself or see you in the hot sun, you will spoil my reputation by doing so, just let the driver keep taking you to campus, we have paid him for the 7 years you will use in Medical school.
(Mrs. Johnson footstep is heard, she entered the dining room).
My dear MONICA, I heard the discussion between you and your father, I will not open my eyes to see you drive yourself to school, don’t you know it’s stressful? And moreso, we suffered before we had you after I had five miscarriages, just obey your dad.

Monica grabs her white coat and dashed downstairs, as she approached the car garage, one of the soldiers raise up his hand and brought it down sharply, it was a normal sign of respect in the military, the driver approaches, Small Madam, should we carry the Honda or is it the Toyota Camry you will prefer or the....Please enter one and let's go.

The driver approaches the beautiful gate of the school,hey hey SAKA,drop me here, I will take bike to my lecture hall, No o small madam,Oga don say make I carry you go wherever you won go, Monica hissed as Saka received the Number tally from the gatemen.

Monica alighted from the 2015 Red Toyota Camry, all eyes were on her, she held her bag on one hand and off she went majestically, she approaches a group of medical students sitting down, they hissed softly and parted ways differently.
Re: Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
Monica dashed for her lecture room, it was all normal for them to have scattered whenever they see her, after all they thought his father's wealth and influence has made her study Medicine in such a prestigious university many have said behind her, some to her face, “You don't merit this course, you were helped, not merit" but to all, Monica was not concerned, is it not enough, the dilemma of his parents over parenting her, Many courses she has to read and finish within a short period of time, she didn't think of her adversaries for once, That’s their problem, he who talk Ill of others has envy the person in one way or the other, She concluded.

Hey Funmi, Matilda, how are you guys doing? She asked as she sat on the terraced chair, the two girls smiled, how are you doing girlfriend?Am cool, George and Yusuf approaches,hey Daddy's daughter, they greet Matilda,hope your dad bathed for you this morning asked George, Monica laughed, he even put on my dress.

This were the normal petty insults Monica receive daily but be it joke or not, Monica never loved it, will I even be free afterwards? She asked herself, her father once said as soon as she is done in medical school, he would build a Mega hospital for her, if things go on this way, I will end up being a slave she said.

George and Yusuf went to meet their girlfriend respectively, George started dating Matilda not quite long, but Yusuf had been dating Funmi since year two, Monica watched as the both parties smiled and gist away.

Would she ever Love someone this way? With the way people hate her, with his father’s status, with her own lifestyle, who would want to Love me, a colonel's daughter, she could remember vividly when a guy named Adebayo came to give her the note she has forgot in school, her father almost killed the boy with questions of such, will my father allow me to choose a lover of my choice, No, No she concluded.

SHE WAS DEEP IN THOUGHT WHEN DR AJAYI, THE MEDICAL PHYSIOLOGY LECTURER CAME IN........
Settle down class, where did we stop the other time? Dr Ajayi asked, young lady in blue at the back, tells us please (POINTING TO MONICA)...
Re: Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:22pm On Jul 22, 2016
This story is a work of my Imagination,It is about a Lady named Monica who happens to be a rich Colonel's daughter,the story tells about her fight and struggle for a choice of Love
Re: Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:24pm On Jul 22, 2016
Monica waked from her thought, what was your question sir? I said
Tell us where we stopped in the last class Dr Ajayi said in a harsh tone.Patophysiology of Jaundice Sir. Good, what are the signs that jaundice is present in a person asked Dr Ajayi, Yellow coloration of the eyes sir Monica responded affirmatively. Have your sit Dr Ajayi said.

It was a norm for Dr Ajayi to ask questions from his previous classes, thank God she got the question right Ajayi started a new topic and spent two hours thirty minute to teach the Renal system of the human body, Let’s call it a day class, we will meet next week, Dr Ajayi said walking out of the lecture room.

It was twelve noon; Monica was hungry and visited the school cafeteria. Give me a bottle of soft drink and two biscuits she ordered. Here you go; she has barely finish her snacks before she sighted the driver coming.

Small madam, I don day your class, Na Aunty Maltida say make I check you for here, you don ready? She stood up and headed for the car."Madam, you still have a change with us" said the cafeteria messenger, Keep it, use it for yourself Monica replied, the messenger smiled heavily.

It was some minutes to five, Monica had got ready for the bible study in church; this was the only place she could go alone without being accompanied since it is a stone throw to the House. She picked her Bible and headed for Church putting on a blue gown and a rainbow colored Scarf.
“Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
But to trust him more and more"
Monica sang all through till she got home, her dad had already returned from his trip, his car has been parked in the garage, she went upstairs ,her father was still sleeping while her mum was in the Kitchen

While in the room, Monica jumped from the bed as if she remembered something, she headed straight to the calendar, Oh my God! Next week is Valentine's Day.
Re: Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:48pm On Jul 22, 2016
The week was already going to the end, with much books for Monica to read, it was not an easy task, after all her last four years in the university being a medical student, she has to read extra miles and burn midnight candles, there was never a time she wanted to quit, Being a Medical Doctor was her dream, she could remember when she gained admission at the age of sixteen, she was so young, How time flies! She thought.

Monica was still thinking when Mary tapped her ‘WAKEY WAKEY".Here is a flyer for you, Monica checked it, it was a colorful one with the Red and White color evident, it was a night party for the Valentine's day, that would be coming up in four days time, the venue was stated THE SCHOOL MINI HALL. Monica put the flyer in the bag and dash out.

It is of no use, my father will not just allow me go out in night not to talk of a party involving boys, Monica soliloquize while heading out of the classroom, She forgot the party in no time.

PHONE BEEPS
MONICA: Hello, Monica speaking
CALLER: Hey, it’s Brown, Adesola Brown, I saw your mates gathering for a lecture but you were not there and I decided to ask of you
MONICA: Where is that? Am not even aware there was a lecture
BROWN: Pharmacology department
MONICA: okay, I will be on my way, thanks Brown.

Monica was not informed about any change in the time table, maybe it was sudden, why didn't Funmi and Matilda call her, I would have appreciated it, Dr Adesola! Must he always try to be there for me? I don't like him an inch.

Dr Adesola Brown is the only son of Col.Johnson's best friend, Rtd.Col Adesola, her dad always wanted them to be close, she remembered when once they had visited the Adesola’s they were always left alone with nothing to say, Monica could not dispute Brown had some hidden affections for her.

She arrived at the Pharmacology department to find out the lecture had been cancelled, students were already going out, the day is still young, she says. She sat down, brought out the ROMEO AND JULIET novel she borrowed from a friend; she was engrossed in the book.

An hour has passed, she called the driver to come for her, while waiting for the driver, she was wondering what Brown will be up to when next they meet.
The driver is here, Monica packed her books into her handbag and headed for the car, as she stepped out of the classroom, someone collided with her scattering her books on the floor. She saw a tall figure in white coat, the figure bent down to arrange the books and handed it over to her.
Am sorry Ma, I guess we were walking at the same speed, here are your books, Am so sorry said PHILIP in a low feminine voice.
Monica was dumbfounded as she could not say anything.
MONICA: No problem
Philip stretch out his hand towards her.
PHILIP:Agbabiaka Philip, five hundred level.
MONICA: The name is Monica, Johnson Monica.
They both shaked,Philip hand was hairy and warm, Nice meeting you,philip said as he smiled with his evident dimples.
My pleasure, replied Monica.

The driver was already out of the car, Who called you asked Monica, let’s go, She entered the car, and thought of the scene that just happened, She smiled and kept remembering how the whole scene went, Philip is handsome, she said.
Re: Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2016
Monica kept thinking about his encounter with Philip, I have not met him in my four years of stay in the school, he is so handsome, tall and hairy, Monica blushed.

But why did our meeting look so special, after all many people have hit me both male and female, why was Philip's case different, maybe because he requested for a handshake.

She thought of Philip all day long, she went to bed with the fantasy of her new friend.

Col Johnson was smiling in the dining table, it was certain he was not alone, Monica peeped from the eight corner of the dinning rear curtain,
It was his father's best friend and mentor, Rtd.col Adesola; they were eating away while talking loud.

Good morning dad, Monica knelt for his father, still on her knee, Good morning sir, bowing a little forward for Col Adesola, Good morning my daughter, how are you doing? Doctor, hope you are communicating well with your partner, Col Adesola said as he laughed.

Monica answered all YES, she knew he was referring to Brown; must I associate with him, must I? Monica shouted.

It was a day to FEB 14,the whole campus of Kwame Nkrumah College of Medicine was filled with the expectancy of the Valentine's day, since that was few of the opportunity they had to catch fun, tickets were being sold, the school mini hall has already being cleaned.

Hey girlfriend, how are you doing, Funmi greeted,good,monica replied, who is going to be your Valentine tomorrow asked funmi,hmm,am still thinking, but there would, before she could finish talking, Funmi has busted into laughter sending dots of saliva to Monica's face.

Hey, watch it! What is funny? Why are you laughing? You just told the greatest lie of the century, you and I both knew your father will not allow you since it is a night party, funmi was more serious now, Monica smiled to conceal her busted place.
See you later; funmi zoomed off seeing Matilda and the rest.

Monica was accepting what fate has brought to her when a hand tapped her shoulder, hey! It’s me, said smiling.
Brown! Monica exclaimed, since when have you been at my back? Just some few seconds, so how are you doing, how are you finding the lecturers and all that? All fine, Monica responded sharply.

So how is tomorrow going to be? Brown asked, tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow, oh my God! Tomorrow is Valentine girl, I want you to be my date and partner just for tomorrow or beyond, it will be a great pleasure to have you as a date, let me host you into the world of LOVE, Monica phone rang, excuse me she said, she went to pick her call.

She turned back beholding the last sight she had ever thought, Philip, its Philip, he was talking to Brown, hey Philip,
Philip raise up his head as if he was remembering something, oh! Miss Gloria, Monica! She answered before he could think he was right.

Sorry for the other day Philip apologised, Monica smiled waving her hand, Philip turned to Brown to receive some money, make sure you give it to her, thanks a lot Philip said.

Monica was too eager to know where they both knew each other, she waved Philip as he left, even looking at him as he departed with her left eye, her right eye were waiting for response from Brown.
Where do you know him? Monica asked, you mean him? Oh, we are level mate, his mother is our garden cleaner, the money you saw me Gave her was what I promised his mother
Re: Bethroted by damcalceb: 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2016
Monica was shocked, what! Garden cleaner! Impossible, I mean Philip, Dr Agbabiaka Philip, yes, why are you particular about him? Let us finish our discussion, so when should I come for you? Monica!!! Brown called tapping his hand, oh is it Philip? , I already told you, his father works with the state government until his death, his mother was appointed our garden cleaner when my father uses his influence in the military to collect his father's pension, by the way, where did you both knew? Brown asked, brown was getting more serious now.

Monica shooked her head, no way she said silently, I am sorry Brown, I cannot be your date tomorrow, we will see some other time, Monica stood up,okay,a hug will replace that, Brown gesticulated, Monica hugged him lightly and withdrew in a twinkle of an eye, see you later, She dashed off.

Monica dashed for the class to wait for the driver; Monica wondered how a gardener's son could have managed in a medical school up to such level, a servant! In Colonel Adesola's house? She was now in a dilemma.

She was still thinking when Fred approach, have you checked your name? Asked Fred, Fred was the level representative to the ministry of health, what name asked an anxious looking monica.The community posting name has been pasted, it is in the notice board, No, I haven't said Monica.

Part of Philip's thought was gone now, the community posting for medical students determine their promotion to the last level, she hurried for the notice board, she met few of her colleagues, everyone was gone for Valentine's preparation, perhaps they are not aware, she spotted her name easily on the ORDER OF J(JOHNSON MONICA.N),Edo state! She has been posted to Edo state, unbelievable, that was her state of origin, I am lucky she said. It was Saka, Monica walked towards him.
"Good afternoon small madam, oga talk say make I dey carry you go his friend house" Saka muttered.
Which if his friend? Senior Colonel, the one wey.........
Monica knew Saka was referring to Brown's father, okay start the car.

She thought all along what her father would want her to come and do in Col Adesola's house, as they made turnings in the vicinity of the estates, she remembered when her father wanted a house in the estate desperately but couldn't lay his hand on one, they reached the beautiful gate of Col Adesola's house, the door was opened.

She has been there once but her memory was erasing the picture of the house, she could see her father's jeep™ in the garage, she came down of the vehicle.

Inside was seated his father and Col Adesola, she greeted, Dad, Saka said you need my attention here, have your seat my daughter, Col Adesola replied.

She sat down, the condition was not exhilarating for her,a figure entered through the door,she was an haggard looking fellow, she must have once be beautiful woman in her late 60's by inspection, she tied a wrapper up to the cleavage with a scarf Like that of a widow, she was a poor person by inspection. Monica wondered what such a caliber of person is doing in Colonel's house.

OGa,I have finish washing the cloth, I came for the money you promised me,the old woman talked without greeting, she was on her knees.

Are you blind? What sort of stupidity have you exhibited? Can't you see I have an important visitor, stand up and get out of my house Col Adesola shouted in anger, Monica adjusted herself on the chair,Col Adesola's word to the woman had shock her, the woman left in fear and trembling.

Col.Johnson was smiling on His seat, Monica was not surprised, her father had no manner of treating people.
How can she do that? Wretched being! Brown's father said facing Col Johnson. Take it easy sir, it is okay, who is she and why did you give your cloths to that type of person?

Don’t mind her, She is a disowned woman I took out of pity, she Is a widow, I cater for her since the death of her husband, She is our gardener here and for the cloths, it was to get her busy, no one put the clothes on.

Sorry my daughter, Col Adesola smiled facing Monica, she feigned smile in response.
Widow? Gardener? Hope it is not what I am thinking, said Monica.

(1) (Reply)

How Time Flies When You Are Having Fun / Life / The Art Of Loneliness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.