Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

**the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** (46881 Views)

Cost To Supervise A Foundation Of 2storey Building Of 6flats / Ikoyi Urgent Sale: 2Storey Building Having 6nôs Well Finished Flats / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 9:49pm On Jul 31, 2016
It's certain forming blocks will also control the flow to some extent, mean while haveing achieveed about 300mm concrete thickness With a good Measurement, next is block form work.

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by whirlwind7(m): 7:49am On Aug 01, 2016
Nice to see how you are trying to make a headway here.

Though I can't help but feel concern about this foundation. With the amount of underground water in this location, wouldn't it be advisable to cast an all concrete structure, like a raft foundation? Perhaps you have noted the way other nearby structures were done also?

Just thinking out loud.
The amount of water is just scary!

8 Likes

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 4:36am On Aug 02, 2016
whirlwind7:
Nice to see how you are trying to make a headway here.

Though I can't help but feel concern about this foundation. With the amount of underground water in this location, wouldn't it be advisable to cast an all concrete structure, like a raft foundation? Perhaps you have noted the way other nearby structures were done also?

Just thinking out loud.
The amount of water is just scary!

Thank you sir, I understand your fear and appreciate your concern. That Would have been ideal if the soil has a low bearing capacity (LBC) But from what am seeing here reverse is the case.
From my little experience raft should be considered in a faulty soil. ...(I will explain) , I think what I need here is not raft. Because it will be a very big waste and unprofessional too. Please follow me...

Raft is advised if the soil has a low bearing capacity so the weight of the building needs to be spread out to create a stable foundation.

1) in a situation where there is excavation and was refilled, building up Such areas requires a raft foundation.

2) some cases where the site is located is in a swamp.

3) where the soil is strata or stratum which means a bed or layer artificially made. Like a sandy soil , a sand-filled Land or an area with a poor ground condition Etc.

I think what is needed here is a blind-cast and an outright -cast reinforcement since the soil is not in any of these category mentioned above. Already working on a footing foundation with a dual iron bar base (double iron mat per pillar) and a dry quality concrete measurement....

However, my dear friends and followers discretion is advised And suggestions are equally welcome.

3 Likes

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by whirlwind7(m): 5:15am On Aug 02, 2016
dubemcapital:

I understand your fear and appreciate your concern. That Would have been ideal if the soil has a low bearing capacity (LBC) But from what am seeing here reverse is the case.

Thanks for the explanation.

Following....
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 7:00am On Aug 02, 2016
whirlwind7:

Thanks for the explanation.

Following....

Thank you sir you are most welcome.
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 6:54am On Aug 03, 2016
Block form work ongoing... The roads are so bad that the materials cannot get to the site all because of the rain even the road are flooded and flows continuously.
May God punish the devil.

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 7:02am On Aug 03, 2016
...sealing off the foundation fountains and filling....

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2016
....still in the pit... This will be carefully achieved

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 4:01am On Aug 08, 2016
If you still imagine how we survived the water see one of our strategies... Pumping machine couldn't help any more but we continued.

1 Like

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 4:12am On Aug 08, 2016
After the dry concrete blinding, we layed the blocks, and range it with a plum, ...But it must be a hard vibrated block, after which we cast the block hole with a dry concrete again, then we can arrange mutter on it because is now above the water level. So other blocks followed....

1 Like

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 4:21am On Aug 08, 2016
Filling on going but ran out of sharp sand so they alternate.... But no fears

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 8:15pm On Aug 09, 2016
Rounding off the filling and sinking the filled area.

1 Like

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 1:01am On Aug 11, 2016
So we re-filled with sharp sand and rammer, boarding and loomp laying followed...

1 Like

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 4:01am On Aug 11, 2016

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 4:39pm On Aug 14, 2016
Loomp stone is a bed and one of the damp control course masure material but should be spaced out for concrete to settle inbetween them to have a direct contact with the compacted floor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by dubemcapital(m): 5:55am On Aug 15, 2016
In a time like this, we need to commence night shift to meet up. Ground floor block form work has gone far...

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by gist4kidsblog: 6:30am On Aug 15, 2016
grin grin grin

For your Original Stone coated roofing Tiles...

NEW ZEALAND & SOUTH KOREA

CONTACT AYYUB ON: 08085310359

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by free2blast(m): 6:32am On Aug 15, 2016
CONGRATS, MINIMUM SPACE UTILIZED MAXIMALLY.
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by KangaIye: 6:33am On Aug 15, 2016
This is money speaking cool
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by mightyhazel: 6:36am On Aug 15, 2016
Buriful!

Great pace of work. The workmen even work at nights. How do u motivate dem?

Nice dpc for a water prone area too.

2 Likes

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by Arinze86(m): 6:37am On Aug 15, 2016
Dear engineer, I advice u should go bck to ur books nd apply a differnt type of foundation...from a clear view, the site is a water area or whteva seen d heavy flow of water insde ur trench....i advice for a proper raft foundation...meanwhile...what is the type of foundation u designed for d building?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by Pamelayoung: 6:47am On Aug 15, 2016
dubemcapital:
All we have done so far is blinding we will start the proper casting work soon... It's well even in the well o.

Sorry pls, am a novice in this but I need to ask, where you pumping the water out or into a storage tank since u will still be needing water.

1 Like

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by popefrank2016(m): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2016
[color=#006600][/color]This is a big task, it once happened to me! But in mai own, the foundation collapsed and we started all over again!!! Its an experienced Engr. To do a nice work there!! Kudos
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 15, 2016
dubemcapital:
Loomp stone is a bed and a damp control course but should be spaced out for concrete to settle inbetween them to have a direct contact with the compacted floor.

El Maestro, i come to learn.

Why wasn't a dpc applied in this aqua prone area?
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by Lovelynature(m): 6:53am On Aug 15, 2016
Congrat sir
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by innovestor(m): 6:56am On Aug 15, 2016
Good Morning,

There is a question i want to ask, probably out of ignorance or out of the need to know why things are "traditionally" done which could be corrected.

I see from the foundation (and all building foundations for that matter) that there are blocks laid for the internal building partitioning prior to blinding. Is this really necessary going by the fact that you did blind casting on the external areas of the building.

To be put in other words, do we really need the internal partitioning with blocks, only for it to be covered with sand and blinded off, and going by the fact that they don't bear the load of the building (only the pillars bear the load of the entire building).

Thanks for your response (or that of any other person) in advance.

P.S. I love your design. I think this is the new "fashion" in modern buildings. Let me have your contact so we do small business offline as i see you are the architect..
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by Pamelayoung: 7:01am On Aug 15, 2016
dubemcapital:
....still in the pit... This will be carefully achieved

Nice job bro, hope I can contact u to build 4 me in Awka, but I'm still looking for land.
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by mixratio(m): 7:01am On Aug 15, 2016
You didn't use a dpm despite the very obvious water logged nature of your site. May I ask why?
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by StDonE(m): 7:10am On Aug 15, 2016
This is definitely Nike in Enugu. That area is full of water. I was building a three storey at Onungene precisely in 2014 around d same time of August and we met a terrible water that was flooding the whole of foundation. And because of d nature of the water there, we needed heavy reinforcement. So at the end; I had spent abt N10 million just from foundation to the first floor. It was a sad experience that I regretted buying the land

1 Like

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by power900: 7:13am On Aug 15, 2016
hmmmm, I have read all through line by line and from my little experience, there is a serious unprofessional work going on here, with that kind of water hovering around this place, strip foundation is not an option,not at all, its not like I am seeing red sand to be sure that its manageable.... again look the way the block work goes deep into the soil, if the rooms are compacted, wouldn't that case any consolidation or worse a parsive force on the party walls in the substructure?

not to challenged your expertize though but just thinking out loud too,okay

2 Likes

Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by stebell(m): 7:22am On Aug 15, 2016
Gud morning Engineer. Nice to know that you are sharing this wit everyone especially those in this field.
I did hav observations to share and ask you.

1. I see that the stirrups/links spacing for a structure as shown in the 3D is high.
2. The way you went about the blinding isn't clear enof.
3. Your Floor casting is something else especially the finishing.
I think doing a little raft say 400mm wudnt ha been bad at all considering the water challenge you faced but yu ha gone past that now.
All the same you are doing a good work jus take care of very little details it will help a lot.
Re: **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** by BOBBYTRICK: 7:32am On Aug 15, 2016
In

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village / 10 Most-expensive Luxury Real Estate Locations In Nigeria / Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.