Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,839 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? (6050 Views)

Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted / Oyo Empire : Origin Of Tribal Marks, Afonja & Hausa - Fulani / 10 Interesting Things You Don’t Know About The Old Oyo Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by YourNemesis: 4:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
EzeNri:

Ur Bini Empire where ur Oduduwa descended from was established in the year 1180 and fell in 1897.

Bini Empire was older than Oyo Empire. Oyo was the last son of Oduduwa. Oya use ur head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2370479323

Like OBAFEMIawolowo rightly said, "the Nri Kingdom saw to the emergence and annihilation of Oyo Empire". But I'll say, Nri Empire saw to the emergence and annihilation of the Yoruba confederation.

lol... what Nri empire? Nri can best be described as a Kingdom... that is if it even meets that criteria.
You and the Benin people are the ones saying Oduduwa came from Benin, not us, ok.
Btw: I was not arguing whether Nri was older was older than Oyo or not, like someone said... Oyo was late in Yoruba history. And Nri didn't see the end of that dynasty, because the lineage of the Alaafin still continues to date, just that Oyo ceased to be an empire (Something nri never was) and thus became a kingdom centred in Oyo Atiba.

There are Three distinct periods in Ife's history.
Pre classical/Pre pavement Ife: 400BC (?) to 1000s
Classical/Renaissance Ife: 1100s to 1400s
Post Classic Ife: 1400s to 1600s

Like another poster mentioned in the upper reaches of this thread the history of Nri is sparse, scanty, inconsistent and with little physical and ideological evidence. The genealogy of Eze Nris list 17 Ezes between the 10th century (948AD) and now (2016), I mean even with the totally unrealistic dates of reigns spanning over 90 years given the average lifespan in pre European presence in Africa, they were just able to get just 17 Ezes. Eri himself was said to have ruled for 93 years in 10th Century equatorial Africa filled with death traps everywhere grin undecided...lol, at what age did he become king? And he didn't die from the one million and one things that could have killed an African at that time....Okay sure. .... lol, how is that possible Mr? unless of course the dates are totally Wrong.... you are the one who should be using your grey matter here.
The unrealistic nature and dearth of substantial evidence points to a tradition of absolute mythology rather than concrete/authentic history.

Genealogy of Ife rulership list 51 Oonis between Classical Ife (late 1000s) and date. Our Benin neighbors too have seen 39 Obas rule Benin between 1180 and 2016. These are dates that Sound about reasonable to me and any other person out there with common sense.

List all the rulers of Nri and their dates of rulership here, lets scrutinize the so called Nri history.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
Saw this online. Quite long but worth reading.
Cc: Nripriest Ezenri
Nri Kingdom is the oldest Kingdom in Nigeria. It was founded around 900AD by the progenitor, Eri, the son of Gad. According to biblical accounts, Jacob had Leah as his wife who begot four sons for him. When Leah noticed she had passed child-bearing age, she gave her maid – servant, Zilpah to Jacob to wife, and through Zilpah he had a son named Gad. Gad then bigot Eri, who later formed a clan known as Erites vide Genesis Chapter 30 verse 9; 46 verse 16 and Numbers chapter 26 verses 15-19. Eri was therefore amongst the twelve tribes of Israel via Gad.
During their stay in Egypt Eri became the high priest and spiritual adviser to Pharaoh Teti, the fifth dynastic king of Egypt around 2400 BC.
During the Exodus, which marked the beginning of the mass movement of the tribes of Israel, the tribe of Eri was amongst the tribe that left Egypt following the injunction from God to the Israelites (see Deuteronomy chapter 28 verses 58 – 68). Some of these tribes founded settlements in the southern part of Sudan, where they established the “Nok” culture, which is similar to that of other (sun Cult) culture, like Nri, Fiji, Samoa, and Jukun in the Northern part of Nigeria and elsewhere. But others who could not remain in the Southern Sudan traveled further South, some branched off to Jukun, in Northern part of Nigeria, others continued and arrived at the confluence of Rivers Niger and Anambara known as “Ezu-na-Ọmambala” and settled there while some veered off to the Island of Fiji in the South Pacific Ocean. An intelligence report notes that the Fijians have the same sun culture with the people of Nri. (12)
The origin of Eri (be it Igbo or non-Igbo) should not diminish the richness of Igbo culture and the contributions of Igbo culture to western Africa. If we are to believe the scientific origins of all humans (which is somewhat in agreement with the biblical account) that all life started from one source, then we have to believe that all Igbo communities migrated to the area at one time or another. Therefore, every group in the area who speaks Igbo is as Igbo as any other and as foreign as any other.
Although the Origin of Eri is still a speculation, the activities of the Nri Kingdom and priests in the area is not and are well documented by early European visitors and some early Igbo anthropologists and historians. In the ‘Ropes of Sand’, Professor Adiele Afigbo out of frustration about the lack of interest in Nri civilization said that:
…Yet in spite of these and other equally eloquent testimonies to the important place which Nri occupies in Igbo history, scholars failed until lately to recognize that it was for the Igbo what Ile-Ife was for the Yoruba people – the center around which their world was believed to have been created, their cultural homeland and that probably its history holds some of the answers to the many complex questions posed by early Igbo history. (13)
Professor Elizabeth Isichei states that Nri was “a kind of holy city, the Rome or Mecca of the Igbos” In Igbo Worlds (citing M. A. Onwuejeogwu), she noted that:
“In Igbo history, there is a sence that all roads begin from Nri, the Holy City…The first ethnographer [European] never visited Nri, but his inquiries among Igbo informants led him to lay a great emphasis on its unique spiritual role, and the reverence and precedence which is accorded to the Nri section by all other I[g]bo clans proper in their vicinity.” (14)
Although this is coming from a Nigerian historian who is citing another, it is actually sort of a summation of the field notes taken by early European visitors to the area.
The bottom line is that Nri civilization has been credited with the following:
- As being the ancestral home and cradle of the Igbo culture. (15)
- As first to invent bronze in West Africa. (16 & 17)
- Introducing agriculture in Igboland. (18)
- Introducing commerce (markets) in Igboland. It is noted Nri went and enthroned markets at the request of a community and stations one of its priests in the market to supervise it (make peace and settle disputes). (19)
- Introducing cowry money as a method of exchange in the area. (20)
- Installing and authenticating community leaderships ‘East and West of the Niger River’. (21, 22 & 23)
- Introducing the Igbo cosmology and calendar (4 day week, 28 day {7 week} month and 13 lunar-moon year). (24)
- As spiritual councilors and diplomats. (25)
While ths and monumental contributions to the history of the area, they were not the major reasons why I chose to undertake over four years of research and to write a book on Nri. I was strucook on Nri. I was struck by their humble and timeless leadership to the people of the area, especially in Igbo land. They lead in inventions, spirituality and morality but never sought to rule or dictate to anyone. They shunned violence and their world revolved around outreach to neighboring communities to make peace. They even stood in the middle of full blown warfare bare handed, with only their hearts and passion for peace. It really got my attention. Why did they do it? Why was peace and stability so important to them? Why were they so successful at making peace? These are the questions Nigerians, indeed Africans, and the world ought to be asking. The answers to these questions are what we are missing by neglecting to study and learn from the ancient Nri civilization.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by YourNemesis: 5:19pm On Jul 24, 2016
^^ Total Bullshit...Lmao.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 24, 2016
Reigns
It is difficult to trace the exact dates for an individual eze Nri, because there was an interregnum after each one's death. During this time, the priests of the eze Nri waited for someone to manifest the signs indicating they were the next priest-king. [3]
List of recorded Eze Nri
Eri period
Name Portrait Birth Marriages
Eri
948-1041 [4]
Post Eri period
Name Portrait
Eze Nri Ìfikuánim
1043-1089[4]
Eze Nri Nàmóke
1090-1158[4]
Eze Nri Buífè
1159-1259
[4]
Eze Nri Ọmalọ
1260–1299
[4]
Eze Nri Jiọfọ I
1300-1390
[4]
Eze Nri Ọmalonyeso
1391-1464
[4]
Eze Nri Anyamata
1465-1511
[4]
Eze Nri Fenenu
1512-1582
[4]
Eze Nri Agụ
1583-1676
[4]
Eze Nri Apia and Nri–Alike
1677-1700
[4]
Eze Nri Ezimilo
1701-1723
[4]
Eze Nri Èwenétem
1724-1794
[4]
Eze Nri Ènweleána I
1795-1886
[4]
Eze Nri Òbalíke
1889-1936
[4]
Post decline
Name Portrait Birth Marria
Eze Nri Jiọfọ II Taabansi Udene
1937-1987
[4]
Agbadana
Eze Nri Ènweleána II Obidiegwu Onyeso (MFR)
1988-current [4]
Cc: Yournemesis. Note that their have to be an interleggum where the next eze Nri has to show signs he is the chosen one. The date of Eri as the first eze Nri shows that Nri is older than ile ife.
It is not the numbers of kings in the dynasty that matters but when their first king reigned.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 6:01pm On Jul 24, 2016
Deatheater:
Saw this online. Quite long but worth reading.
Cc: Nripriest Ezenri
Nri Kingdom is the oldest Kingdom in Nigeria. It was founded around 900AD by the progenitor, Eri, the son of Gad. According to biblical accounts, Jacob had Leah as his wife who begot four sons for him. When Leah noticed she had passed child-bearing age, she gave her maid – servant, Zilpah to Jacob to wife, and through Zilpah he had a son named Gad. Gad then bigot Eri, who later formed a clan known as Erites vide Genesis Chapter 30 verse 9; 46 verse 16 and Numbers chapter 26 verses 15-19. Eri was therefore amongst the twelve tribes of Israel via Gad.
During their stay in Egypt Eri became the high priest and spiritual adviser to Pharaoh Teti, the fifth dynastic king of Egypt around 2400 BC.
During the Exodus, which marked the beginning of the mass movement of the tribes of Israel, the tribe of Eri was amongst the tribe that left Egypt following the injunction from God to the Israelites (see Deuteronomy chapter 28 verses 58 – 68). Some of these tribes founded settlements in the southern part of Sudan, where they established the “Nok” culture, which is similar to that of other (sun Cult) culture, like Nri, Fiji, Samoa, and Jukun in the Northern part of Nigeria and elsewhere. But others who could not remain in the Southern Sudan traveled further South, some branched off to Jukun, in Northern part of Nigeria, others continued and arrived at the confluence of Rivers Niger and Anambara known as “Ezu-na-Ọmambala” and settled there while some veered off to the Island of Fiji in the South Pacific Ocean. An intelligence report notes that the Fijians have the same sun culture with the people of Nri. (12)
The origin of Eri (be it Igbo or non-Igbo) should not diminish the richness of Igbo culture and the contributions of Igbo culture to western Africa. If we are to believe the scientific origins of all humans (which is somewhat in agreement with the biblical account) that all life started from one source, then we have to believe that all Igbo communities migrated to the area at one time or another. Therefore, every group in the area who speaks Igbo is as Igbo as any other and as foreign as any other.
Although the Origin of Eri is still a speculation, the activities of the Nri Kingdom and priests in the area is not and are well documented by early European visitors and some early Igbo anthropologists and historians. In the ‘Ropes of Sand’, Professor Adiele Afigbo out of frustration about the lack of interest in Nri civilization said that:
…Yet in spite of these and other equally eloquent testimonies to the important place which Nri occupies in Igbo history, scholars failed until lately to recognize that it was for the Igbo what Ile-Ife was for the Yoruba people – the center around which their world was believed to have been created, their cultural homeland and that probably its history holds some of the answers to the many complex questions posed by early Igbo history. (13)
Professor Elizabeth Isichei states that Nri was “a kind of holy city, the Rome or Mecca of the Igbos” In Igbo Worlds (citing M. A. Onwuejeogwu), she noted that:
“In Igbo history, there is a sence that all roads begin from Nri, the Holy City…The first ethnographer [European] never visited Nri, but his inquiries among Igbo informants led him to lay a great emphasis on its unique spiritual role, and the reverence and precedence which is accorded to the Nri section by all other I[g]bo clans proper in their vicinity.” (14)
Although this is coming from a Nigerian historian who is citing another, it is actually sort of a summation of the field notes taken by early European visitors to the area.
The bottom line is that Nri civilization has been credited with the following:
- As being the ancestral home and cradle of the Igbo culture. (15)
- As first to invent bronze in West Africa. (16 & 17)
- Introducing agriculture in Igboland. (18)
- Introducing commerce (markets) in Igboland. It is noted Nri went and enthroned markets at the request of a community and stations one of its priests in the market to supervise it (make peace and settle disputes). (19)
- Introducing cowry money as a method of exchange in the area. (20)
- Installing and authenticating community leaderships ‘East and West of the Niger River’. (21, 22 & 23)
- Introducing the Igbo cosmology and calendar (4 day week, 28 day {7 week} month and 13 lunar-moon year). (24)
- As spiritual councilors and diplomats. (25)
While ths and monumental contributions to the history of the area, they were not the major reasons why I chose to undertake over four years of research and to write a book on Nri. I was strucook on Nri. I was struck by their humble and timeless leadership to the people of the area, especially in Igbo land. They lead in inventions, spirituality and morality but never sought to rule or dictate to anyone. They shunned violence and their world revolved around outreach to neighboring communities to make peace. They even stood in the middle of full blown warfare bare handed, with only their hearts and passion for peace. It really got my attention. Why did they do it? Why was peace and stability so important to them? Why were they so successful at making peace? These are the questions Nigerians, indeed Africans, and the world ought to be asking. The answers to these questions are what we are missing by neglecting to study and learn from the ancient Nri civilization.
Thanks Boss. This will be really useful for my research.
NRI is our Holy City, and Ezenri claims both political, cultural and social authority over me, as well as all Igbos.

Once again Boss, Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by YourNemesis: 6:03pm On Jul 24, 2016
Deatheater:
Reigns
It is difficult to trace the exact dates for an individual eze Nri, because there was an interregnum after each one's death. During this time, the priests of the eze Nri waited for someone to manifest the signs indicating they were the next priest-king. [3]
List of recorded Eze Nri
Eri period
Eri
948-1041 [4]
Post Eri period
Name Portrait
Eze Nri Ìfikuánim
1043-1089[4]
Eze Nri Nàmóke
1090-1158[4]
Eze Nri Buífè
1159-1259
[4]
Eze Nri Ọmalọ
1260–1299
[4]
Eze Nri Jiọfọ I
1300-1390
[4]
Eze Nri Ọmalonyeso
1391-1464
[4]
Eze Nri Anyamata
1465-1511
[4]
Eze Nri Fenenu
1512-1582
[4]
Eze Nri Agụ
1583-1676
[4]
1677-1700
[4]
Eze Nri Ezimilo
1701-1723
[4]
Eze Nri Èwenétem
1724-1794
[4]
Eze Nri Ènweleána I
1795-1886
[4]
Eze Nri Òbalíke
1889-1936
[4]
Post decline
1937-1987
[4]
Agbadana
1988-current [4]
Cc: Yournemesis. Note that their have to be an interleggum where the next eze Nri has to show signs he is the chosen one. The date of Eri as the first eze Nri shows that Nri is older than ile ife.
It is not the numbers of kings in the dynasty that matters but when their first king reigned.

I see no significant interregnums here. Just months between one king and the beginning of the reign of another.
The dates between each reign are pretty consistent with various african traditions of initiation into the kingship , court rituals, e tc.

but man, those dates are not realistic..... be sincere.
How can an Eze reign from 1159 to 1259?, 100 years?
Another 948 - 1041, 93 years
1583-1676 (93 yrs) Etc.

You might think these dates are insignificant, but they are. Because if they are not realistic, that points to either speculation or myth.
If speculation is the case then, the date of the first Eze's reign comes into doubt. If it is myth , then the whole line of kingship might as wel be discarded all together.
You said Eri was the son of Gad.... How is it possible that Gad who lived centuries before even Jesus was born was the father of the progenitor of a kingdom that came into existence almost a millennium after Jesus died?

3 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by AjaanaOka(m): 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2016
EzeNri:

NRI is our Holy City, and Ezenri claims both political, cultural and social authority over me, as well as all Igbos.

Once again Boss, Thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, which community in Abia do you hail from?
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 24, 2016
YourNemesis:

I see no significant interregnums here. Just months between one king and the beginning of the reign of another.
The dates between each reign are pretty consistent with various african traditions of initiation into the kingship , court rituals, e tc.

but man, those dates are not realistic..... be sincere.
How can an Eze reign from 1159 to 1259?, 100 years?
Another 948 - 1041, 93 years
1583-1676 (93 yrs) Etc.

You might think these dates are insignificant, but they are. Because if they are not realistic, that points to either speculation or myth.
If speculation is the case then, the date of the first Eze's reign comes into doubt. If it is myth , then the whole line of kingship might as wel be discarded all together.
You said Eri was the son of Gad.... How is it possible that Gad who lived centuries before even Jesus was born was the father of the progenitor of a kingdom that came into existence almost a millennium after Jesus died?
According to my first post Eri didn't directly came to omambala he went to Sudan before passing igala to the present day Anambra.

Again about the dates, I think it is realistic cause the men of those days lived longer than we. Methuselah lived 936 which we had no probs believing. Again they were assumed living dead. You made mention of no significant interleggum but let us assume that before a new Ezenri ascends the throne the other Ezenri even though dead was still assumed reigning as they haunt for his successor making his reign look longer.
Before Ezenri obalike assumed the throne he had a dream, I quote " In my dream I saw enweleana telling me that I am the chosen one" that singular action was all the Nri priest needed to know he was the next Ezenri and who knows how long it took before he had that dream.
Thanks for your decorum.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 24, 2016
EzeNri:

Once again Boss, Thanks.
Anything to protect the igbo culture is my call to duty. I was meant to protect my heritage not the other way round.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 6:48pm On Jul 24, 2016
YourNemesis:

lol... what Nri empire? Nri can best be described as a Kingdom... that is if it even meets that criteria.
You and the Benin people are the ones saying Oduduwa came from Benin, not us, ok.
Btw: I was not arguing whether Nri was older was older than Oyo or not, like someone said... Oyo was late in Yoruba history. And Nri didn't see the end of that dynasty, because the lineage of the Alaafin still continues to date, just that Oyo ceased to be an empire (Something nri never was) and thus became a kingdom centred in Oyo Atiba.

There are Three distinct periods in Ife's history.
Pre classical/Pre pavement Ife: 400BC (?) to 1000s
Classical/Renaissance Ife: 1100s to 1400s
Post Classic Ife: 1400s to 1600s

Like another poster mentioned in the upper reaches of this thread the history of Nri is sparse, scanty, inconsistent and with little physical and ideological evidence. The genealogy of Eze Nris list 17 Ezes between the 10th century (948AD) and now (2016), I mean even with the totally unrealistic dates of reigns spanning over 90 years given the average lifespan in pre European presence in Africa, they were just able to get just 17 Ezes. Eri himself was said to have ruled for 93 years in 10th Century equatorial Africa filled with death traps everywhere grin undecided...lol, at what age did he become king? And he didn't die from the one million and one things that could have killed an African at that time....Okay sure. .... lol, how is that possible Mr? unless of course the dates are totally Wrong.... you are the one who should be using your grey matter here.
The unrealistic nature and dearth of substantial evidence points to a tradition of absolute mythology rather than concrete/authentic history.

Genealogy of Ife rulership list 51 Oonis between Classical Ife (late 1000s) and date. Our Benin neighbors too have seen 39 Obas rule Benin between 1180 and 2016. These are dates that Sound about reasonable to me and any other person out there with common sense.

List all the rulers of Nri and their dates of rulership here, lets scrutinize the so called Nri history.

400BC Lol. According to recorded History, Oduduwa was an exiled Bini Prince, unless u are rewriting the history urself. Ife was only settled in the 4th century BC, by people who were not originally Yorubas. Some centuries later, Oduduwa met them there and established his kingdom there. History said so.

U ended ur trash by insulting our sacred Empire, but I won't return the insult.

Do you know aside Nri, no other Igbo enclave had King, but rather a council of respected titled men presided over the affairs of the community and non of them had the power to maintain any standing army. Each of the community had autonomy, egalitarian, democratic and republican.

While each community has unlimited power in their respective internal affairs, Nri presided over external affairs, including relations and trade and doesn't interfer in the internal affairs of the constituting communities.

Ezenri influence was felt all over Igboland as the custodian and wielder of the sacred Ofor Igbo. He was a Priest-King descendant of Heaven. That is why Igbo kings are called 'Igwe' meaning 'Heaven'. Not just a priest-king, but a spirit, a living dead. In fact, when a new King was identified, his wife and family will start mourning for him. A new king isn't just installed, but must have to first manifest the signs of Heaven, as all Ezenris have the mandate of Heaven to rule. Therefore between the death of an Ezenri and the crowning of a new king, there was alwz a lag.

Ezenri was and remains a sacred King. Nri was a confederal empire preceeding the founding of Bini Empire by 232 yrs.

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 7:09pm On Jul 24, 2016
AjaanaOka:

If you don't mind my asking, which community in Abia do you hail from?
Bende LGA. Abia North. This is the farthest I can state. Bear with me.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2016
Deatheater:

Anything to protect the igbo culture is my call to duty. I was meant to protect my heritage not the other way round.
I love that. Keep it up.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by AjaanaOka(m): 7:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
EzeNri:

Bende LGA. Abia North. This is the farthest I can state. Bear with me.

No, that's fine. I didn't really expect more.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 7:35pm On Jul 24, 2016
AjaanaOka:

No, that's fine. I didn't really expect more.

Thanks for understanding.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Truthisit: 3:37am On Jul 25, 2016
Complete nonsense! How did the two conflict each other? They never had anyissue or interaction with each other.

EzeNri:

Ur Bini Empire where ur Oduduwa descended from was established in the year 1180 and fell in 1897.

Bini Empire was older than Oyo Empire. Oyo was the last son of Oduduwa. Oya use ur head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2370479323

Like OBAFEMIawolowo rightly said, "the Nri Kingdom saw to the emergence and annihilation of Oyo Empire". But I'll say, Nri Empire saw to the emergence and annihilation of the Yoruba confederation.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by macof(m): 9:43am On Jul 25, 2016
EzeNri:

Who founded Ife? Oduduwa I guess. Your Oduduwa descended from Bini Empire and Nri Empire was 232 yrs older than Bini Empire.

undecided and you know yoruba history more than the entire yoruba people to know that oduduwa descended from an empire started by his descendants? that's like a Man being the son of his grandson. .. did you think at all before uttering that nonsense?

Nri empire?! you igbos just sound so confused most of the time. do you even know what an empire is?

3 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by macof(m): 9:48am On Jul 25, 2016
Deatheater:
Reigns
List of recorded Eze Nri
Eri period
Eri
948-1041 [4]
Post Eri period
Name Portrait
Eze Nri Ìfikuánim
1043-1089[4]
Eze Nri Nàmóke
1090-1158[4]
Eze Nri Buífè
1159-1259
[4]
Eze Nri Ọmalọ
1260–1299
[4]
Eze Nri Jiọfọ I
1300-1390
[4]
Eze Nri Ọmalonyeso
1391-1464
[4]
Eze Nri Anyamata
1465-1511
[4]
Eze Nri Fenenu
1512-1582
[4]
Eze Nri Agụ
1583-1676
[4]
1677-1700
[4]
Eze Nri Ezimilo
1701-1723
[4]
Eze Nri Èwenétem
1724-1794
[4]
Eze Nri Ènweleána I
1795-1886
[4]
Eze Nri Òbalíke
1889-1936
[4]
Post decline
1937-1987
[4]
Agbadana
1988-current [4]

look at the dates carefully, no significant interregnum there.

however look at the dates of each reign; so unrealistic and absurd ....fix the lope holes in Nri history before coming out to call it a civilization or a kingdom. ..from what we have so far, it's more of a village

6 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by JBismarck(m): 10:13am On Jul 25, 2016
There are some things that must be cleared here.
The thread started by stating that:
NRI was a Kingdom
Oyo was an Empire
NRI is older than Oyo

Somewhere along the line, some people have deviated from the course of discussion maybe out of sheer ignorance or deliberate attempt to cause confusion.

We need to read up on these technical terms:

Kingdom
Empire
Dynasty

As a historian I'm well aware that before an entity becomes an empire it has to pass through kingdom. So, empire, in other word, is an agglomeration of Kingdoms. It is always very very heterogeneous and doesn't get king as the head but an emperor.

Kingdom on the other hand has a king as the head and is almost always homogenous. It takes years, if not centuries, for a kingdom to graduate to an empire.

Dynasty is the bloodline of rulers. If the headship of an entity remains within a bloodline for long, this is a dynasty. It could be son succeeding father or brother succeeding brother or even daughter succeeding father or brother. When another bloodline takes over the headship another dynasty has just been installed. Sayfawa Dynasty of Kanem-Bornu is the longest dynasty in the world

Back to the topic, Nri kingdom, based on the dates provided by this OP, is older than Oyo Empire and not Oyo Kingdom. Oyo was a kingdom for long before it became an empire and later came back to kingdom. Oyo was an offshoot of Ife Kingdom but later grew to become empire that enveloped Ife herself and all the other neighbouring kingdoms, fiefdoms, city-states etc.

That stated, one unique thing I found very interesting about Nri kingdom is its ability to command obedience without force. It was a kind of theocratic state; no standing army, yet, no one disrespected its authority.

Mogidi and Lalasticlala should move this to the FP for Nigerians to learn important aspects of our history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by AjaanaOka(m): 12:46pm On Jul 25, 2016
I just want to say a few things about this Nri kinglist that I find being posted on nairaland and elsewhere on the internet.

1. It is not a complete kinglist. There are reigns that have been forgotten either because the lineages that produced the kings have become extinct or because the shrines/monuments dedicated to the kings no longer exist. The memories of Eze-Nris were kept alive as long as their shrines or the lineages they originated from were known. If these disappeared from history, the Eze Nri tended to disappear with them in many cases.

2. The dates assigned to the kings were only worked out in the 1980s by the anthropologist M.A. Onwuejeogwu and were supposed to be only rough estimates. No one can say with a fair degree of certainty when any of the kings on the list reigned, except for the kings who reigned from the late 18th century onward. Other historians such as Afigbo have quarreled with these dates because they seem to contradict some of the data that Onwuejeogwu based his dating on.

3. Some of the reigns have been telescoped, i.e., reigns of two or more kings have been collapsed into one reign. For example, the Eze Nri listed as 'Namoke' was not one king, but a dynasty of kings. The Namoke kings were:

i. Ogbuodudu Akakomme (Nri Namoke I)
ii. Edu Anyim (Nri Namoke II)
iii. Nri Egbobe (Nri Namoke III)
iv. Anwu Obele (Nri Namoke IV)
v. Odunukwe (Nri Namoke V)
vi. Agufugo Egbeli (Nri Namoke VI)
vii. Ezeagu Akubuilo (Nri Namoke VII)

On his deathbed, Nri Namoke VII, Ezeagu Akubuilo, handed his paraphernalia of office to his nephew from the Nrifikwuanim line, Nribuife. Nrifikwuanim kings have being reigning in Nri since then. Although recently the Namoke line has tried to resurrect their claim to the kingship by having one of its sons Chikadibia Ogunmor crowned as Nri Namoke VIII, as a counterpoise to the more recognised king of the Nrifikwuanim line, Nri Enwelana II. Few people outside Nri know this.

4. I already said the kinglist is incomplete. The first kinglist collected by British anthroplogist Northcote Thomas around 1912 contains some 'Eze Nris' that the presently circulating list has eliminated. 'Eze Nris' like Alikenri, 'Ainyaboa' (Anyabo), Evuzo (or Ebuzo), 'Okbakbo' (Okpakpo), and Ezono. Onwuejeogwu argues that these 'Eze Nris' did not complete their coronation rites (a lengthy process that takes a year), and were therefore not technically Eze Nris. Nri Aka was another 'Eze Nri' whose name is omitted from the list for the same reason. Nri Anwa (or Nri Anua) abdicated the throne for a younger man, Nri Enwelana I in the 18th century, and subsequently, his name too was omitted from the kinglist. All these omissions, together with the telescoping, genuine cases of amnesia and long interregnums, have resulted in a contracted kinglist which gives a false impression of a short chronology.

5.There was a compulsory interregnum of 7 years after the death of each Eze Nri. This was supposed to be the time it takes for the spirit of the dead king to journey to, and make itself at home, in the spirit world. This interregnum usually ends up lasting much longer than 7 years because of all the trouble involved in the selection process of a succeeding Eze Nri. (The only time in known history that a 7-year interregnum was not observed was when Eze-Nri Ezimilo was murdered around 1724 [according to Onwuejeogwu's estimates] and pressure was put on the kingmakers to begin the coronation process for his son Nri Enwenetem.

The interregnum does not reflect in the kinglist because the deceased king is theoretically still reigning until a new king succeeds him. Thus if Eze Nri X starts his reign in 1970 and dies in 1985 and a new king doesn't ascend till 1999, Eze Nri X's 'reign years' are 1970 -1998.

6. Concerning the age of Nri Kingdom, the current kinglist with all its problems (some of which I have touched on) cannot help us. For clues, we have to look elsewhere.

The first clue to Nri's age comes from Igbo-Ukwu art, which has been dated to the ninth century. Since there are several parallels between the art and Nri culture, and since the finds were discovered within the area covered by the Nri hegemony, anthroplogists/historians have made the reasonable suggestion that Nri goes back to at least the ninth century.

The second clue comes from the Nri calender. One of the roles performed by Nri in the area that they had influence was declaring the beginning of a new year (Igu Aro). In 2004, the Nri palace declared that the year marked the 1005th Igu Aro in its history. If correct, this would mean that the first Igu Aro of the Nri people was about 999 AD.

It seems fair to argue that Nri Kingdom had been established by 1000 AD. Many will argue for a much earlier date than that.

7. OP, there's no gain in a discussion where one tries to compare or measure the achievements of one culture against another, especially when there are ethnocentric reasons for doing so. One should be able to feel contented with his own without seeking to 'prove' that every other pales in comparison to his own.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 25, 2016
macof:

look at the dates carefully, no significant interregnum there.

however look at the dates of each reign; so unrealistic and absurd ....fix the lope holes in Nri history before coming out to call it a civilization or a kingdom. ..from what we have so far, it's more of a village

This my response.

Deatheater:

Again about the dates, I think it is realistic cause the men of those days lived longer than we. Methuselah lived 936 which we had no probs believing. Again they were assumed living dead. You made mention of no significant interleggum but let us assume that before a new Ezenri ascends the throne the other Ezenri even though dead was still assumed reigning as they haunt for his successor making his reign look longer.
Before Ezenri obalike assumed the throne he had a dream, I quote " In my dream I saw enweleana telling me that I am the chosen one" that singular action was all the Nri priest needed to know he was the next Ezenri and who knows how long it took before he had that dream.
Thanks for your decorum.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by macof(m): 4:52pm On Jul 25, 2016
Deatheater:

This my response.

methusela, dreams dude what you take me for here?

the only sensible thing you said was this

" let us assume that before a new Ezenri ascends the throne the other Ezenri even though dead was still assumed reigning as they haunt for his successor making his reign look longer"

but you got nothing to prove this was the case. Where did you even get this idea from in the first place?
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2016
macof:

methusela, dreams dude what you take me for here?

the only sensible thing you said was this

" let us assume that before a new Ezenri ascends the throne the other Ezenri even though dead was still assumed reigning as they haunt for his successor making his reign look longer"

but you got nothing to prove this was the case. Where did you even get this idea from in the first place?
Maybe because I am igbo and u no nothin about my culture.
About the Methuselah ish, I only used it as a pointer that people of those yrs lived longer than we.

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by macof(m): 9:56pm On Jul 25, 2016
Deatheater:

Maybe because I am igbo and u no nothin about my culture.
About the Methuselah ish, I only used it as a pointer that people of those yrs lived longer than we.

well you must have your sources na...that's what I wanna know

You should know that the Methuselah stuff is nonsense. nobody can live 960years

2 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by NwaIkenga(m): 7:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
AjaanaOka:
I just want to say a few things about this Nri kinglist that I find being posted on nairaland and elsewhere on the internet.

1. It is not a complete kinglist. There are reigns that have been forgotten either because the lineages that produced the kings have become extinct or because the shrines/monuments dedicated to the kings no longer exist. The memories of Eze-Nris were kept alive as long as their shrines or the lineages they originated from were known. If these disappeared from history, the Eze Nri tended to disappear with them in many cases.

2. The dates assigned to the kings were only worked out in the 1980s by the anthropologist M.A. Onwuejeogwu and were supposed to be only rough estimates. No one can say with a fair degree of certainty when any of the kings on the list reigned, except for the kings who reigned from the late 18th century onward. Other historians such as Afigbo have quarreled with these dates because they seem to contradict some of the data that Onwuejeogwu based his dating on.

3. Some of the reigns have been telescoped, i.e., reigns of two or more kings have been collapsed into one reign. For example, the Eze Nri listed as 'Namoke' was not one king, but a dynasty of kings. The Namoke kings were:

i. Ogbuodudu Akakomme (Nri Namoke I)
ii. Edu Anyim (Nri Namoke II)
iii. Nri Egbobe (Nri Namoke III)
iv. Anwu Obele (Nri Namoke IV)
v. Odunukwe (Nri Namoke V)
vi. Agufugo Egbeli (Nri Namoke VI)
vii. Ezeagu Akubuilo (Nri Namoke VII)

On his deathbed, Nri Namoke VII, Ezeagu Akubuilo, handed his paraphernalia of office to his nephew from the Nrifikwuanim line, Nribuife. Nrifikwuanim kings have being reigning in Nri since then. Although recently the Namoke line has tried to resurrect their claim to the kingship by having one of its sons Chikadibia Ogunmor crowned as Nri Namoke VIII, as a counterpoise to the more recognised king of the Nrifikwuanim line, Nri Enwelana II. Few people outside Nri know this.

4. I already said the kinglist is incomplete. The first kinglist collected by British anthroplogist Northcote Thomas around 1912 contains some 'Eze Nris' that the presently circulating list has eliminated. 'Eze Nris' like Alikenri, 'Ainyaboa' (Anyabo), Evuzo (or Ebuzo), 'Okbakbo' (Okpakpo), and Ezono. Onwuejeogwu argues that these 'Eze Nris' did not complete their coronation rites (a lengthy process that takes a year), and were therefore not technically Eze Nris. Nri Aka was another 'Eze Nri' whose name is omitted from the list for the same reason. Nri Anwa (or Nri Anua) abdicated the throne for a younger man, Nri Enwelana I in the 18th century, and subsequently, his name too was omitted from the kinglist. All these omissions, together with the telescoping, genuine cases of amnesia and long interregnums, have resulted in a contracted kinglist which gives a false impression of a short chronology.

5.There was a compulsory interregnum of 7 years after the death of each Eze Nri. This was supposed to be the time it takes for the spirit of the dead king to journey to, and make itself at home, in the spirit world. This interregnum usually ends up lasting much longer than 7 years because of all the trouble involved in the selection process of a succeeding Eze Nri. (The only time in known history that a 7-year interregnum was not observed was when Eze-Nri Ezimilo was murdered around 1724 [according to Onwuejeogwu's estimates] and pressure was put on the kingmakers to begin the coronation process for his son Nri Enwenetem.

The interregnum does not reflect in the kinglist because the deceased king is theoretically still reigning until a new king succeeds him. Thus if Eze Nri X starts his reign in 1970 and dies in 1985 and a new king doesn't ascend till 1999, Eze Nri X's 'reign years' are 1970 -1998.

6. Concerning the age of Nri Kingdom, the current kinglist with all its problems (some of which I have touched on) cannot help us. For clues, we have to look elsewhere.

The first clue to Nri's age comes from Igbo-Ukwu art, which has been dated to the ninth century. Since there are several parallels between the art and Nri culture, and since the finds were discovered within the area covered by the Nri hegemony, anthroplogists/historians have made the reasonable suggestion that Nri goes back to at least the ninth century.

The second clue comes from the Nri calender. One of the roles performed by Nri in the area that they had influence was declaring the beginning of a new year (Igu Aro). In 2004, the Nri palace declared that the year marked the 1005th Igu Aro in its history. If correct, this would mean that the first Igu Aro of the Nri people was about 999 AD.

It seems fair to argue that Nri Kingdom had been established by 1000 AD. Many will argue for a much earlier date than that.

7. OP, there's no gain in a discussion where one tries to compare or measure the achievements of one culture against another, especially when there are ethnocentric reasons for doing so. One should be able to feel contented with his own without seeking to 'prove' that every other pales in comparison to his own.

Would definitely love to see more information on this
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Obdk: 8:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
new data prove thr was never oyo empire. yoruba revisionist lies ve been busted...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aba Slangs And Meaning / Metaphysical Storm SE. Umu Biafra, Nde Wonu! / Should African Men Stop Paying Bride Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.