Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai (1243 Views)

The Tanko Yakassai Interview On Channels TV Everyone Is Talking About (Video) / Femi Fani-kayode‏ Blasts Tanko Yakassai Over Channels Tv Interview - Pictures / Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by normaljenny(m): 6:47pm On Jul 23, 2016
Restructuring calls: My fears for Igbos – Yakassai

By Our Reporter -

July 21, 2016

http://nigerianpilot.com/restructuring-calls-fears-igbos-yakassai/

Elder statesman and chairman of the Northern Elders Council, NEC, Alhaji Tanko Yakassai has warned Igbo people against becoming victims of Yoruba instigation again, as ongoing calls for restructuring now is similar to what they instigated that caused the civil war.
Yakassai gave the advice in an interview with Nigerian Pilot, where he alleged that Igbos were instigated to go into secession for Biafra by the Yorubas who later turned around and occupied positions left vacant due to the war.
Yakassai said in case the Igbos were unaware, he had to inform them as a man who was star witness to all that took place at the time of secession declaration.
“Even if they are not in true position of all these things, people like me happened to know a whole lot. When the constitutional crises took place in 1963, I was already a journalist and Hausa editor of Daily Comment, dedicated to NEPU, my party. I was an assistant publicity secretary of the party, so I know all the happenings – the action of Tony Enahoro, the boycott by northern members of house reps, the riot that followed the plan to turn Nigeria to confederation, and those who protested.”
According to him, “Only two people are everywhere in Nigeria – Igbos and Hausas. This is because Igbos are hardworking, and Hausas are everywhere because they are the only one that can do menial jobs.
“Before the civil war started, the Yorubas said if Igbos are allowed to go, they too will go on the secession declaration.
“It was Chief Awolowo who said it openly and publicly; it was published in newspapers. He was the one that was sent by Gowon to talk to Odumegwu Ojukwu in the eve of the secession declaration not to secede.
“They met at the Niger Bridge. When he (Awo) came back, even though we did not know what they discussed personally, he said if the eastern people are allowed to go by any act of omission or commission the west will follow; if they secede the Yorubas will follow.
“That was what he said. By the time he said that, he was already mounting pressure on the northern soldiers stationed in the west to be removed, and Biafrans overran Midwest in Yoruba land. A Yoruba man, name forgotten, captured Ore.
“So if you look at agitation for restructuring that is coming, by and large, it is from the Yoruba. Now the Biafra agitation is in the South-East. My fear now is that I don’t want a situation where the Igbos will be instigated by the Yoruba to commit another suicide. Because by the time the Igbos went on Biafran secession they were the one occupying the position of influence and power, economically and in the civil service. They were made to leave and Yorubas took over, and look at Yoruba; I’m not anti Yoruba.
“The place Igbos left were occupied by Yoruba, particularly the civil service. “Till today the Yoruba are the dominant elements in the bureaucracy of Nigeria. The Igbos lost that position almost forever. At that time the Igbos were in business; they were the leading elements in business. Now the Igbos are back again. Today they are the leading people in business. They have come back and have taken over trades and manufacturing industry.
“I had impression that most of the industries in Lagos and surrounding areas are owned by Yoruba, until recently when I read the open letter written by Gen. A. Adebayo to Tinubu. In the letter, he sighted that the industries in Ibadan are owned by Indians and Lebanese, and the ones in Lagos are owned by Igbos. I didn’t know until that time when I read it.
“If the Igbos say they are going through rebellion, God forbid, for whatever reasons, certainly, Nigerians will fight them, and if that happened they will lose their advantages in southern Nigeria. Go everywhere, you will see Igbos doing their business without anybody harassing them. So if they go Yoruba will take over. Even if it is Alaba market the Yorubas will gain control, for it’s a plus for them.
“But if this agitation is coming this time when Igbos, including their intellectuals, are all over Nigeria, it shows they were not born. Even if they are not in true position of all this things, people like me happened to know a whole lot. In fact, I was among 18 people arrested and latter, 15 convicted after three of us were set free. So I know the history and feel I should tell the younger generations to know. Igbos are new colonialists; there goods are everywhere in the country; if they go, their place will be down. If they come back to sell with their goods, they will be competing with India and China, as Yoruba will take over them. Simple example is European Union, with all the capital they control, they still talk about living together in unity using motto: ‘Together We Are Strong, Divide We fall,’ Yakassai noted.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by jlinkd78(m): 6:49pm On Jul 23, 2016
U v started with una usual divide and rule mindset games. The Biafrans are now wiser. Look at Yakaasi now crying more than d bereaved and appearing to be empathic to d true feelings of d Igbos and by extrapolation d Biafrans. Why we appreciate Ur advise with d regards to our saboteur brethren; we wud want it to stop at that cos we now know better how to deal with d situation. Ur pseudo sympathy is at best all aimed at making d nation of d rising sun look gloomy whereas in reality u guys are scared stiff of d El dorado prospects it promises. Thanks for d honest part u reiterated about d hardworking and survivability instincts of d 5%er. If this is your bait to keep us back in this failed contraption called Nigeria then it has fallen like a pack of cards. Buhari is daily being a catalyst in this chain reaction and we encourage his nepotism to 'kwontinuo'.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by malele(m): 6:50pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by herzern(m): 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2016
Iqbos been qivinq themselves unrealistic hopes
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by goonsmi: 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
It's either the article is from a fake source or the man himself is high on over consumption of cow dung.

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by chadwickcollins(m): 7:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
Wetin dis hausa man d talk
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by shortgun(m): 7:22pm On Jul 23, 2016
OK, we haff hear
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by sammyj: 7:23pm On Jul 23, 2016
So becausr Awolowo said the Yoruba West will go if the lgbos are allowed leave the union now made them instigated the Igbos to go into the civil war. Hope this man is not leaving on awedeodo weed when he made this statement! ! shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 23, 2016
cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by SuperS1Panther: 7:52pm On Jul 23, 2016
Yakassai just confirmed that Yorubas are gods of Nigeria.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Porous brain hausa man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by kossyablaze(m): 8:38pm On Jul 23, 2016
herzern:
Iqbos been qivinq themselves unrealistic hopes
better Dan not having any hope at all

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by tundexijim(m): 8:48pm On Jul 23, 2016
E be like say old age dey worry this man.. Are ojukwu and Nnamdi Kanu Yoruba abi how Yoruba take dey push dem to secede na.. If dey want to go make dem go na. Yoruba will not leave vacuum in their system because they don't want to see to have taken over igbos business after they leave. Life continues....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by Emilokoiyawon: 1:59am On Jul 24, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin I LOVE THE WAY THIS GUY LIES grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by Dbboy(m): 6:42am On Jul 24, 2016
Am for restructuring but for once we igbos should forget about the man and look into the message, he is saying the truth, lets assume this agitation becomes intense and we got to war again which would be more disastrous are we in any position to we the war and bargain for a better position, the odds are stacked against us, do we have any powerful ally that could tilt the winning scale to us the answer would be no, so lets assume we lost the war what would be our current position in Nigeria may be a tenth class citizen. My advise to my brothers is dont go into a war you have no chance of winning it would be disastrous and what we might ve given just to be accepted back would definitly be disapointing.
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by goonsmi: 7:45am On Jul 24, 2016
Dbboy:
Am for restructuring but for once we igbos should forget about the man and look into the message, he is saying the truth, lets assume this agitation becomes intense and we got to war again which would be more disastrous are we in any position to we the war and bargain for a better position, the odds are stacked against us, do we have any powerful ally that could tilt the winning scale to us the answer would be no, so lets assume we lost the war what would be our current position in Nigeria may be a tenth class citizen. My advise to my brothers is dont go into a war you have no chance of winning it would be disastrous and what we might ve given just to be accepted back would definitly be disapointing.

Why should every agitation lead to war? You are the only one linking the call for restructuring to war my friend.

Restructuring is different from agitation for secession. Its the National Assembly that can legislate on restructuring so all that you need is for the majority of the members to support the call .
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by jpphilips(m): 10:09am On Jul 24, 2016
jlinkd78:
U v started with una usual divide and rule mindset games. The Biafrans are now wiser. Look at Yakaasi now crying more than d bereaved and appearing to be empathic to d true feelings of d Igbos and by extrapolation d Biafrans. Why we appreciate Ur advise with d regards to our saboteur brethren; we wud want it to stop at that cos we now know better how to deal with d situation. Ur pseudo sympathy is at best all aimed at making d nation of d rising sun look gloomy whereas in reality u guys are scared stiff of d El dorado prospects it promises. Thanks for d honest part u reiterated about d hardworking and survivability instincts of d 5%er. If this is your bait to keep us back in this failed contraption called Nigeria then it has fallen like a pack of cards. Buhari is daily being a catalyst in this chain reaction and we encourage his nepotism to 'kwontinuo'.

It is only a capital one f00l will think Biafra holds Eldorado prospects.
You unlettered drum heads are bringing disgrace and embarrassment to igbos who have brains..
where will you get forex to balance trade to sustain over 16 major markets in the southeast?
where will you get electricity from?
what happens to your properties in Nigeria?
you guys should stop embarrassing igbos with your buffoonery.
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by Dbboy(m): 8:09am On Jul 25, 2016
goonsmi:

Why should every agitation lead to war? You are the only one linking the call for restructuring to war my friend.

Restructuring is different from agitation for secession. Its the National Assembly that can legislate on restructuring so all that you need is for the majority of the members to support the call .

My friend am a realist and we are in Nigeria not europe and this principle apply here if you want anything and you want people to listen to you then it has to be forceful thats the language a black man hear and so it would definatly lead to war or do you expect the hausa to lose there advntage just to seem just, wake up boy for us to get what we want without the backing of a stronger ally we would have to go to war and God helps us if we lose.
Re: Restructuring Calls: My Fears For Igbos – Yakassai by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 25, 2016
First it was SLS n now Yakassai...the blame game continues

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Needs Igbos to Succeed-Donald Trump / Recession: Senators Wants TSA Policy Review, Calls For True Federalism.. / Edo People Cry Over Attent By Govt To Rig The Ongoing Election ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.