Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? (1440 Views)

Can Jesus Die For Our Sins? / How Can Jesus Be GOD Almighty In The Light Of The Following Verses? / How Can Jesus Give Everlasting Life To Immortal Beings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by RoyalBlak007: 10:27am On Jul 24, 2016
It is said that Jesus is God's son, yet it is also said that Jesus is God
How can one being be both the father and son of itself?
How did God have a human son?
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by SUPERPACK: 10:49am On Jul 24, 2016
Some questions really have no answer, because the more u question the more the confusion. the bible seem to support both assertion.

3 Likes

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by RoyalBlak007: 11:20am On Jul 24, 2016
SUPERPACK:
Some questions really have no answer, because the more u question the more the confusion. the bible seem to support both assertion.
true
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Richirich713: 12:21pm On Jul 24, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

The "is" in the statement "Jesus is God", is an "is of predication" not identity. In other words saying Jesus is God, means he is divine.

1 Like

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Buhari4dullard: 12:49pm On Jul 24, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

The Jews wanted to stone Jesus because they understood that when Jesus said that God is His Father,
that He Jesus too is God.

John 5:18
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath,
but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Jesus the an exact same character as God the Father, making Him God also

Hebrews 1 (KJV)
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by orunto27: 1:35pm On Jul 24, 2016
So easy. Just don't equate God with you. God is Omnipotent. He demonstrated this by coming on Earth in Christ Jesus to prove that He is very capable and actually made us in His Image.
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by DeepSight(m): 1:45pm On Jul 24, 2016
Richirich713:

The "is" in the statement "Jesus is God", is an "is of predication" not identity. In other words saying Jesus is God, means he is divine.

. . . . . . And. . . . per George Orwell, in Animal Farm -

"A birds wings, comrades, are instruments of propulsion and not of manipulation. . . . they therefore qualify as legs"

Yes! Four legs good, two legs bad!

2 Likes

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Seun(m): 9:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
Multiple personality syndrome, which is "a rare dissociative (syndrome) in which two or more personalities with distinct memories and behaviour patterns apparently exist in one individual," explains the trinity perfectly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by RoyalBlak007: 12:23am On Jul 25, 2016
Seun:
Multiple personality disorder, which is "a rare dissociative disorder in which two or more personalities with distinct memories and behaviour patterns apparently exist in one individual," explains everything perfectly.

So in one sentence..

you're saying they are the same being?
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 31, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

Hi....

How are u my love? Missing u so bad... grin

1 Like

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by FuckTheM0ds(m): 10:46am On Jul 31, 2016
TrapQueen77:

Hi....

How are u my love? Missing u so bad... grin
take this nonsense to the romance section.
Jobless and useless old hag
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 31, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
take this nonsense to the romance section.
Jobless and useless old hag

U are the one who is jobless here... Why u keep following me? angry
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by FuckTheM0ds(m): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2016
TrapQueen77:

U are the one who is jobless here... Why u keep following me? angry
following you? Someone who i don't even know from Adams.
Get a life.
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 31, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
following you? Someone who i don't even know from Adams.
Get a life.

U are the one who is lifeless...

Why ur here anyway? And of all the ppol why the hell u chose to quote me back! Ur a tw.at!

Move ur ass somewhere and stop quoting me.

1 Like

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by christinnah(f): 10:53am On Jul 31, 2016
SUPERPACK:

thats right.
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by FuckTheM0ds(m): 10:56am On Jul 31, 2016
TrapQueen77:

U are the one who is lifeless...

Why ur here anyway? And of all the ppol why the hell u chose to quote me back! Ur a tw.at!

Move ur ass somewhere and stop quoting me.
its so obvious that youre a ret.ard that is devoid of what the lay man call's " common sense"
your supposed lover created a thread to inquire about the deity of Jesus and instead of you to adumbrate on the topic you decided to exhibit the level of your frustration to bring in what is not supposed to be discussed here.
Desperate Old Lady in search of marriage.
Get your old ass off my mentions.
Oponu
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 31, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
its so obvious that youre a ret.ard that is devoid of what the lay man call's " common sense"
your supposed lover created a thread to inquire about the deity of Jesus and instead of you to adumbrate on the topic you decided to exhibit the level of your frustration to bring in what is not supposed to be discussed here.
Desperate Old Lady in search of marriage.
Get your old ass off my mentions.
Oponu

I wasn't talking to u... And I will quote him wherever I want!

Are u the guard of his thread? Is none of ur damn business if I quote him...

Obviously u are the one who are thirsty of damn cheap mentions! So u quote me to pour out ur stvpidity here.

Abeg... Close ur big mouth!

1 Like

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by FuckTheM0ds(m): 11:05am On Jul 31, 2016
TrapQueen77:

I wasn't talking to u... And I will quote him wherever I want!

Are u the guard of his thread? Is none of ur damn business if I quote him...

Obviously u are the one who are thirsty of damn cheap mentions! So u quote me to pour out ur stvpidity here.

Abeg... Close ur big mouth!
ugly male troll parading as a female. You think i don't know you?
Seen your type countless times.
You're IGNORED.
Goodbye.
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by christinnah(f): 11:13am On Jul 31, 2016
oh my god. pls my sis and bro above you guys ruin this. stop it..OH My LORD help this people.
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by christinnah(f): 11:14am On Jul 31, 2016
Jesus can be both God and the son of God because the terms don't mean the same thing. When we say that Jesus is God (John 1:1, 14; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:cool, we are saying that Jesus possesses the divine nature (as well as a human nature, see hypostatic union). But the term "Son of God" does not mean that Jesus is not God. Think about it. If the term "Son of God" meant that Jesus is not God, then does the term "Son of Man" mean that Jesus is not a man? Of course not. Likewise, if the term "Son of Man" means that Jesus is a man, then does it not imply that when it says Jesus is the "Son of God" that he is God? We ought not look at the ancient words found in Scripture and judge them by modern thinking.
"For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God," (John 5:18).
As you can see in this verse, Jesus was calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God. Therefore, the term Son of God is a designation of the equality with God when it is a reference to Christ.
Jesus is the Son of God
The phrase "Son of God" occurs 44 times in the New American Standard Bible. Each time it is used of Christ. It is a title of his preeminence, holiness, and relationship to God the Father. In fact, we see that the Pharisees wanted to kill him for proclaiming he was the son of God
“I and the Father are one.” 31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” 33 The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I SAID, YOU ARE GODS’? 35 If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?" (John 10:30-36).
In this account we see the second instance of Jesus being threatened with stoning. The first one is a little earlier.
"Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.' 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple," (John 8:58-59).
Jesus' words here are significant because he says he is the "I am." This is similar to what is found in Exodus.
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 15 God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations," (Exodus 3:14-15).
When we combine all of this together we see that Jesus was claiming the divine title for himself (John 8:58; Exodus 3:14-15) and that is why the Jews wanted to kill him (John 8:59 and John 10:31). The explanation given is that Jesus was claiming equality with God by claiming that he was the Son of God.
So, when we say that Jesus is God we are saying that he is divine by nature. He is, after all, the second person of the Trinity. But when we say that Jesus is the Son of God, we are saying that he is also God since that is what the phrase means.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by firstking01(m): 11:27am On Jul 31, 2016
RoyalBlak007:
Can't believe you are the one asking this dumb questionundecided, smh
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by udatso: 12:00pm On Jul 31, 2016
This topic will always bring confusion to Christians. Whether led by spirit or not, you cant explain it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by christinnah(f): 12:09pm On Jul 31, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

pls be careful of your question. Its a nice question because its challenging but you make other people more confuse... so please be aware of those kind of question.

1 Like

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by RoyalBlak007: 12:14pm On Jul 31, 2016
christinnah:

pls be careful of your question. Its a nice question because its challenging but you make other people more confuse... so please be aware of those kind of question.

Sure
Thanks
Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by christinnah(f): 7:55am On Aug 01, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

Sure
Thanks

you welcome

1 Like

Re: How Can Jesus Be Both God And God's Son? by softlady70: 10:21am On Aug 01, 2016
my only prayr is dt....u guyz will be open minded to d word nd u will grw in d knwldg of hez word...

(1) (Reply)

Top 20 Trending Nigerian Gospel Songs Released 2019 [most Downloaded Songs] 2020 / Why Do You Go To Church When Your Work & Business Thrive On Fraud? / Abomination! Beyonce Starts Her Own Church Called "The National Church Of Bey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.